The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: UFC Star Conor McGregor Ruins Everything (for one PPV)
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7443
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 4-6-2018 at 12:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
UFC Star Conor McGregor Ruins Everything (for one PPV)

You'll find a series of videos and news clippings here.

Reason this is a thing: Conor McGregor, after "crashing" a media day for a PPV designed to crown an actual champion for the title he never defended after he won, then decided to go full insane-person and, with a fellow fighter who accompanied him (Artem Lobov, who was scheduled to fight on this PPV...not so much anymore), as well as a dozen other guys he brought with him, they attacked a bus containing most of the fighters for the PPV, at which point in time Conor tossed a hand dolly at the windshield, others followed suit, glass naturally went flying, and fighter Ray Borg and Michael Chisea both wound up with glass in the face (Borg got glass in the eye and Chisea was cut bad enough the NYSA wouldn't allow him to compete Saturday). As of now, Conor McGregor has turned himself into the police and has been charged with three counts of assault and one of criminal mischief. In the meantime, the UFC has cancelled three fights for Saturday (Borg, Chisea, and Lobov's), and chances are the five fighters who had nothing to do with this but still lost fights because of this will get their full purse for the show. It should also be mentioned that UFC's 115 pound women's champion, Rose Namajunas, was almost hit by the glass, and is scheduled to co-headline the event. As it stands, she was apparently shaken up enough she left the bus as soon as she could and walked back, so she could still wind up not fighting.

One would think he's probably going to jail for this, but if he does it'll be a slap on the wrist. The civil suits are probably going to hit that Mayweather purse he got pretty hard.

[Edited on 4-6-2018 by nOOb]

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 4-6-2018 at 01:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Before everyone goes full pearl clutching, let's remember a couple of details.

First, a couple of days ago, Russian fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov, along with about 8 of his friends, cornered one of Conor's teammates, Artem Lobov and slapped him around and asked "Where's Conor now?"

Conor immediately got on a plane along with about ten of his boys and flew from Ireland to NY to confront Khabib about it.

Clearly things got out of hand, but I wish I had friends as fucking loyal as McGregor. Also, Khabib slapping around another fighter is just going to be brushed off?

Also, let's not forget that Jon Jones snorted cocaine, committed a hit and run, and punched a pregnant woman. McGregor breaks a window defending a friend and everyone loses their mind.

Look, if you hated McGregor then this gives you more a reason to hate him. I'm a fan of McGregor, and while I can cringe that this got WAY out of hand, I at least appreciate his intentions, if not his actions.

Also, fuck Nurmagomedov.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7443
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 4-6-2018 at 07:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
His intentions were admirable but it wasn't like he was going after Khabib's car. He went after a bus he happened to be on. The second he got into that bus, Conor's chances of successfully getting his target were slim and the chances he was going to get someone else not involved hurt in the process were much greater. You made your presence known, established that you aren't going to let that slide in the future, now get ready for your guy's match and hope Khabib wins so you can fight him and get your point across again.

Now, the only winner to come out of this whole mess is Anthony Pettis, because his opponent couldn't fight after the bus incident and the guy Khabib was scheduled to fight also came up medically unfit to fight today (weight reasons), so he's the new defacto number one contender to the title.

Unfortunately, alpha male things like this are part of the reason I stopped watching MMA as much as I used to. The whole idea of having a team of guys dedicated solely to following you around to prove to people you're the top dog is dumb and makes most of these guys unlikable.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10874
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 4-6-2018 at 08:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't every day in Dana White's prison inmate battlebowl league like this?

With McGregor's money drawing power they'll quietly overlook this in due time as easily as they did Lesnar's failing of the drug tests. I like a lot of the fights but goddamn it's easy to have almost no respect at all for nearly everyone in this sport given the fucking antics they get up to pretty much all the time.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6273
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Mans n' Cans™

posted on 4-6-2018 at 11:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
The whole idea of having a team of guys dedicated solely to following you around to prove to people you're the top dog is dumb and makes most of these guys unlikable.

Also, in Janerd's Opinion MMA Newz N' Viewz, I am just saddened that no one got stabbed or shot. The farther removed I am from when I could physically roll and do some jits and have an appreciation of the sport, mostly the technical grappling aspects, the less I care about the boringness of UFC in general outside of a few fights here and there. S'why I like The Pro Wrasslin'. Better than average chance of it being entertaining with the least likely chance of people murderizing each other backstage because they're more adult-themed co-workers than hyper-alpha gradeschool mentality goonbrah direct competitors. But if you're gonna get that nuts anyway, at least fuckin' Tong Po that shit up and entertain me, goddamnit.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4565
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-12-2018 at 09:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kind of an odd case; and maybe a commentary on the current less lofty status that the UFC now holds in terms of news making stories as outside of a few "McGregor did something" comments I didn't have any real knowledge of this story despite being on a wrestling board and various rumour websites pretty much every day... Yeah, it's not UFC; but it's cross over enough that despite not being a UFC fan (I like my blood sports to be "fake") I tend to see enough stories bleed over because of the similarities on wrestling rumour sites.

So from a non-fan POV it looks bad, but not so bad that its this horrible black eye onto a sport that seems to mostly boast a roster of guys who seem to perpetually make other athletes look good by comparison... Well... maybe not the NFL, but at least give them a run for their money.

Looks like Connor is lost his lightweight title per the UFC... although it seems like he was apt to lose the title anyway do to inactivity... Soooooo no punishment? I mean it's been a week... and from a PR standpoint you'd think swift, and heavy punishment would be in order, but what he got was pretty tepid and indecisive considering the pre-meditated nature of the incident, the financial loss the PPV maybe suffered, to say nothing of the black eye to the UFC... But hey... in terms of bigger than the sport stars that the UFC has he's really their only full time horse they've got considering Rousey is WWE now, and Lesnar at 41 and still wrestling in the WWE isn't exactly a long term star for them, so it's not like they could really take him to the whooping shed.... I mean it sounds like he punched a ref (granted it wasn't a UFC ref) and they did little to nothing, so not sure why it would seem like they'd do much this time out either.

I also got curious about some of the other response from the affected fighters and if they are suing, which one would fully expect, some of them seem to be doing themselves no favours... Borg put his medical letter up on twitter and made various statements about his level of injury... So odds are no one is walking away with a $10+ million dollar settlement... although I'd bet some money changes hands quietly to make all of this go away.

Current legal opinion is that McGregor could face up to 11 years in prison based on his charges... He won't do a day in reality.

So from a non-UFC fan POV it doesn't seem like that big of a deal... McGregor in classy form responded to his title stripping by tweeting "You's'll strip me of nothing you's do nothing cunts"... So yeah...McGregor seems like as big of a douche as he has always seemed to be, the UFC looks like they don't have any balls and are the same gutter fight league White et al seemingly elevated it above years ago... I'm probably more "dick move for the incident but sentiment could have played it as an accident (the bystanders getting hurt part)... but it seems worse because McGregor acted like his usual self, and the UFC seems to come across as ill equipped to deal with their petulant child.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top