The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Daniel Bryan Medically Cleared To Return To The Ring
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Daniel Bryan Medically Cleared To Return To The Ring

https://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/article/daniel-bryan-makes-huge-announcement

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Slick
And I am AWESOME

Posts 178
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood: jobberish

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh myyy, WWE announced that Daniel Bryan has been cleared to return to in-ring action!

https://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/article/daniel-bryan-makes-huge-announcement

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11535
Registered 12-16-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: Tight

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, this is pretty big news.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

OO Wrestling Draft 13 Signup

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1583
Registered 12-6-2005
Location Long Island, New York

Mood: Relaxed

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well I'll be damned. Looks like they'll be setting him up for a match at Mania, presumably against either owens or Zayn, or maybe a tag match against them with a partner of his choosing after what happened to Shane last week.

And of course, there's also the unfinished business with The Miz

The WWE: Where no one wins, unless you like Cena, in which case you are a sad little fanboy who will never get laid, but we are happy to take your money away-Moosehead Jack

"She is an estrogen molotov cocktail. It'd be in your best interest not to piss her off."- My thoughts on Firewoman

"Kurt Angle is like a living vortex of the surreal. On the off chance he's not doing, saying or thinking crazy things, people connected to him act crazy by association, caught in the gravitational pull of his insanity."- Ringout from FAN Forums

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10654
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Now that deserves a gigantic Golly!

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1583
Registered 12-6-2005

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
AJ: "Unforunately Shinsuke, I am unable to wrestle you at Wrestlemania. However, this man has no problem with taking my place."

*Bryan's music hits, building's roof launches into orbit*

The WWE: Where no one wins, unless you like Cena, in which case you are a sad little fanboy who will never get laid, but we are happy to take your money away-Moosehead Jack

"She is an estrogen molotov cocktail. It'd be in your best interest not to piss her off."- My thoughts on Firewoman

"Kurt Angle is like a living vortex of the surreal. On the off chance he's not doing, saying or thinking crazy things, people connected to him act crazy by association, caught in the gravitational pull of his insanity."- Ringout from FAN Forums

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2738
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
YES!

Really hope he is legit healthy...

OO's only mammal penguin

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11535
Registered 12-16-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All the people who continually criticized Bryan for trying to return to the ring should now feel as stupid as they accused him of being.

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1583
Registered 12-6-2005

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I still stand by not wanting to have seen him take that risk until he was fully cleared. Not sure why it took so long for them to clear him, though.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7805
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Were people criticizing him or questioning if it was worth the risk? Iím hopeful this is an Eric Lindros situation and not a Paul Kariya one. Side note, fuck Scott Stevens.

And I hope he does work cautious. Kicks and submissions. No diving headbut.

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1583
Registered 12-6-2005

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
HBK was able to switch up his style away from doing high-risk moves, and look how the second part of his career went. I don't doubt that Bryan's gonna be able to do the same, especially with the training that he's gotten from Regal.

He also has said that if he made a return that he was working on using a less-impactful style of wrestling, so that would fit in with the kicks/submissions.

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11535
Registered 12-16-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Were people criticizing him or questioning if it was worth the risk?

People would post links to articles about him training for a return and pushing to be cleared to wrestle and would flat out call him an idiot for even thinking he could ever come back. Turns out, he knew more about his situation than they did.

Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1011
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

Mood: GodDamnWOOO

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
All the people who continually criticized Bryan for trying to return to the ring should now feel as stupid as they accused him of being.

I'm very happy for DB, but I'll stand by not wanting him to compete if it was going to jeopardize his health. Hopefully the years off gave his brain time to heal properly.

"The North Cafeteria, named after Admiral William North, is located in the western portion of East Hall, gateway to the western half of North Hall, which is named, not after William North, but for its position above the South Wall. It is the most contested and confusing battlefield on Greendaleís campus, next to the English Memorial Spanish Center, named after English Memorial, a Portuguese sailor that discovered Greendale while looking for a fountain that cured syphilis."

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2738
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 3-20-2018 at 07:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He has spoken very publicly about the treatment he has done. The Edge and Christian Podcast in particular went very deep into it as Christian also retired due to concussions. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and am excited to see him wrestle again.

Hopefully his first match back is at mania and should be the main event unless they want the crowd dead for whatever tries to follow him.

OO's only mammal penguin

royberto
I Do Not Know What Words Mean

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 3-20-2018 at 08:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
But this can't be? The smarky smarks told us Bryan would never be cleared because he was being kept on the shelf to keep from overshadowing Roman.

Those idiots can now go fuck right off.

Former WWE superstar Chris Nowinksi, who once worked with Dr. Cantu, tweeted out a message of approval:

[Edited on 3-20-2018 by royberto]

CM Crunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1957
Registered 7-20-2011

Mood: PrestonC76

posted on 3-20-2018 at 08:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I always figured he'd be back in the ring eventually, but made peace with the assumed fact that it wouldn't be a WWE ring. Echoing the thoughts of others here, I want nothing more for him to continue living a healthy life (as far as being an active competitor realistically allows.) I just hope that he has the wherewithal to hopefully adjust his in-ring style a tad.

I don't need the constant suicide dives, front dropkicks and diving headbutts off the top rope to be a Daniel Bryan fan. I'm sure a lot of us here feel the same way. Bryan's smart enough to know that he doesn't have to keep up with the joneses. He knows what they almost cost him, and has been walking around with that knowledge for 2+ years now, here's hoping he makes the proper adjustments to have an HBK-esque second half to his career.

Oney Lorcan Guy

Fifth Horseman
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1669
Registered 1-14-2006

Mood:

posted on 3-20-2018 at 09:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I hope that he, too, challenges the Undertaker.
royberto
I Do Not Know What Words Mean

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 3-20-2018 at 10:42 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So, Matt Hardy has taken it upon himself to proclaim this as a reward for deleting Bray Wyatt:

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12662
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 3-20-2018 at 10:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I canít wait to see him wrestle on 205 Live!
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10654
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 3-20-2018 at 10:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

See Paige as the most recent example of why someone with a life-altering post-surgery condition shouldn't return to the ring. No one who said DB should stay retired has anything at all to be ashamed about.

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11535
Registered 12-16-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 3-20-2018 at 11:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
See Paige as the most recent example of why someone with a life-altering post-surgery condition shouldn't return to the ring. No one who said DB should stay retired has anything at all to be ashamed about.

Besides thinking they knew more about his situation than he or his doctors did, thinking they knew what was best for him based on internet sources, and thinking he was wrong for seeking additional medical testing and opinions, I guess I agree.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10654
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 3-20-2018 at 11:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm generally cautious about everything and tend to err on the side of health & safety. This usually happens when someone sees another person get crippled or killed right in front of them, which I saw once at work when I was younger. Things like that don't leave you. And I don't feel much of a need to apologize for thinking this way either. Dana White, after GSP's last title win several years back, actually had the gall to say that "he owes me and the fans another fight", and he said this while Georges was in the trainers room with one of his eyeballs nears popping out of the socket. Be like Dana White, with all empathy and consideration for the human (who's made tens of millions of dollars for UFC during his career) prioritized at the lowest level, all for the sake of another performance? No thanks, I'd rather not be like that kind of creature at all.

[Edited on 3/20/2018 by Paddlefoot]

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11535
Registered 12-16-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 3-20-2018 at 11:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think you (and maybe others) misinterpreted what I was trying to say.

When I'm saying people should feel stupid, I'm not talking about people who said he should stay gone unless deemed healthy enough to return; I'm talking about people who would see reports of "Bryan consulting doctors, hoping to wrestle again" and call him a selfish idiot. This whole time, he and his doctors knew more about his situation than any of us did.

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1583
Registered 12-6-2005

posted on 3-20-2018 at 11:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
I think you (and maybe others) misinterpreted what I was trying to say.

When I'm saying people should feel stupid, I'm not talking about people who said he should stay gone unless deemed healthy enough to return; I'm talking about people who would see reports of "Bryan consulting doctors, hoping to wrestle again" and call him a selfish idiot. This whole time, he and his doctors knew more about his situation than any of us did.

Hell, there's still people who think that he's being a selfish idiot by returning, despite being cleared by some of the best in their field and wanting to work what appears to be a schedule similar to HBK [approximately 60 days per year [TV and PPVs mainly, although no deal has been finalized so its basically hearsay for the time being], and are flat-out refusing to watch any of the matches that he'll be in going forward. I get that those are the people that you're referring to.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7565
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-21-2018 at 12:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As someone with zero medical knowledge, I kind of wonder if Daniel Bryan is as good as new or if getting another concussion is more dangerous for him than it would be for someone like, say, the Miz. If both Bryan and Miz suffered concussions at WrestleMania, would their recovery process be the exact same or would Bryan have to retire again while Miz took a few weeks off to recover?

Also, I totally get why the WWE announced the news this afternoon, but man, I can't help but wish they'd kept it a secret until tonight and let Bryan drop that bombshell on Smackdown (preferably while in the ring with Owens and Zayn). Because that would have been a mark-out moment for the ages.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top