The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NJPW General Discussion Thread
CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4999
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 6-12-2019 at 10:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anglefan85
If the WWE's not gonna give me my money's worth, I'm taking my business elsewhere until they fix their product.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3961
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 6-12-2019 at 11:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm curious about the possibility of Jericho wrestling in the G1. I know not everybody goes full tilt during it but seeing how Old Man Jericho adapted could be great.

More likely than not he just makes an appraranxe fucking with Tanahashi because Jericho's to expensive but it's a fun thought.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4999
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 6-12-2019 at 11:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jericho is almost never not good. Right now, I'd argue he's the best heel in the business based less on his in-ring performances and more on his persona and the heat he's generating.

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3961
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 6-13-2019 at 12:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wished he'd ease up on trying to keep up with the young guys in terms of speed and fancy moves and just focus on being a grizzly, old crafty vet like Ric Flair did in the early 00's.

But yeah, he's killing it when it comes to being an asshole and engaging the crowd. When the DoN audience popped for Omega's close kick out and Jericho gave them the middle finger I remembered just how fucking good he is at this.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4999
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 6-13-2019 at 02:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
I wished he'd ease up on trying to keep up with the young guys in terms of speed and fancy moves and just focus on being a grizzly, old crafty vet like Ric Flair did in the early 00's.

But yeah, he's killing it when it comes to being an asshole and engaging the crowd. When the DoN audience popped for Omega's close kick out and Jericho gave them the middle finger I remembered just how fucking good he is at this.

Jericho has definitely lost a step in the ring and his physique is clearly not what it used to be. Agreed that he should adapt his style, but in terms of generating heel heat, there are few in history better than Jericho.

-- The Rick

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4999
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-2-2019 at 11:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
https://deadspin.com/a-guide-to-new-japan-pro-wrestlings-g1-climax-the-best-1835907042

-- The Rick

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 721
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-3-2019 at 10:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good article - I'm stoked for the G1! My pick is Ibushi vs Moxley for the final with Ibushi taking the whole thing.
ejspoon
rOOkie

Posts 46
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-7-2019 at 02:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Night 1 was very good, but not quite great. Two main drawbacks, the outcome to every match was predictable, and most of the wrestlers, especially Osprey seemed a step off. (Kudos to Archer for saving at least one big spot). On the other hand, Okada and Tanahashi put on a far more suspenseful match than two people who have been main eventing against each other for over a decade had any right to. A great match showing why they are legends.

And, oh, that's what all the fuss was about Kenta. Ibushi was the perfect first match for Kenta, given his ability to sell like a man sized Ricky Morton.

Best news of the night was that Night 2, and apparently all Saturday shows, will be televised same day on AXS.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2340
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 7-7-2019 at 06:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What a well-booked Night 1

MOTN?

Lance and Will was pretty incredible.

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3961
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 7-7-2019 at 07:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've been a fan of Archer ever since his TNA days. I'm hoping his showing against Ospreay means bigger things are ahead for him. Winning with the Von Erich claw in Dallas was a really nice touch.
ejspoon
rOOkie

Posts 46
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-14-2019 at 03:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Quick thoughts from night two of the G1. Spoiler Free so go watch it!

The booking was much more unpredictable than night one, which makes sense since they are back in Japan and don't need to try and please the American crowd. The wrestling was good, and it seems that B is the "Hoss" block this year.

Speaking of which, Cobb vs. Ishii most certainly did not disappoint as a hoss fest.

As always, Toru Yana is fun in small doses, and I enjoyed seeing Naito not try to kill someone for once.

Taichi brought his A game against Moxley, by which I mean Miho Abe. The match was okay for what it was. +3 stars for Miho.

Juice and Takagi told a great story was a great match. The story of Takagi having a perfect run through the BOTSJ till the finals and wanting to prove himself with the heavyweights is a good one.

White vs. Gotu also told a good story, and gave us a great moment to begin the block action.

Is this the year that NJPW finally gets my 999 Yen? Just maybe

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4999
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-25-2019 at 06:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Was the finish of the Takagi match him getting his brains blown out by Hans Gruber?

-- The Rick

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 691
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-26-2019 at 10:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
Was the finish of the Takagi match him getting his brains blown out by Hans Gruber?

No. He wasn’t even wearing his John Phillips suit, either.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4999
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 8-2-2019 at 04:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

This is the funniest fucking promo I've seen in a long time.

-- The Rick

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3235
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Can't Even

posted on 8-3-2019 at 07:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Man, they really let him fly with the Adult Language. Now I'm gonna go ice my balls.

ejspoon
rOOkie

Posts 46
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-27-2019 at 12:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
G1 Finals come and gone (Just this weekend on AXS)

Latest Bullet Club member had the crowd just red hot

Last ten minutes of Ibushi and White surprisingly good.

NJPW Discussion now going to say 8/27/2019 into the Fall.

[Edited on 8-27-2019 by ejspoon]

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2411
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-27-2019 at 06:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm a combination of stoked and terrified at Shibata being back. Like, he's literally my favorite NJPW guy but also his brain exploded like two years ago and I'm still afraid of him dying a little bit.

Mox in NJPW has been fun. If he gets a WrestleKingdom match, I hope it's against Suzuki after Suzuki beats the shit out of Mox's little buddy Shingo.

Ibushi winning the G1 is great. Okada still is just casually often overlooked despite being the greatest NJPW champ of the modern era.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 721
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-30-2019 at 07:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
I'm a combination of stoked and terrified at Shibata being back. Like, he's literally my favorite NJPW guy but also his brain exploded like two years ago and I'm still afraid of him dying a little bit.

My understanding is that it's not for sure Shibata is back. He was cleared to do that spot at the G1 Final show but not necessarily to wrestle a match. So basically, it's the NJPW version of Edge spearing Elias.

ejspoon
rOOkie

Posts 46
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-31-2019 at 01:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I basically came into New Japan with the Omega Naito G1 final a couple of years ago, so never got to see Shibata in the ring. I was absolutely blown away when I saw that last week, especially knowing how long he had been out, and what the injury that had kept him out. I hope he can come back and wrestle a semi full time schedule, but am kind of doubtful due to the New Japan style.

But damn that whole angle with Kenta turning was so well done, and just drew mega heat from the crowd. Kenta as the evil arrogant prick who can back it up and Shibata as the wronged friend coming back from injury to get revenge? Sounds like wrestling, doesn't it?

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2411
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 8-31-2019 at 08:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ejspoon

But damn that whole angle with Kenta turning was so well done, and just drew mega heat from the crowd. Kenta as the evil arrogant prick who can back it up and Shibata as the wronged friend coming back from injury to get revenge? Sounds like wrestling, doesn't it?

Yeah, I don't think he should ever come back permanently, but I won't deny a single WK match of him kicking KENTA in the face a bunch would be very, very satisfying.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3961
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 9-12-2019 at 06:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Rumors for the main events of Wrestle Kingdom are that Okada will defend the World Title against Ibushi in Night 1. The winner of that match would then face the IC Champion the following night.

That pretty much means Naito has to win it, no? Holding on to the IC Title he hates so much is what gets him one more shot at beating Okada and beating him on his third try at WK would mirror Okada needing tries to beat Tanahashi at WK.

[Edited on 9-12-2019 by First 9]

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2411
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 9-23-2019 at 12:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I didn't even know about Kishin Liger yesterday and now I'm fucking obsessed with him.

Nothing I love more than a psycho alter ego, but having it come out of one of the most heroic and clean-cut babyfaces in the history of wrestling makes it extra great.

For those who didn't see it, Minoru Suzuki has been taunting Jushin Thunder Liger for a while, basically suggesting he's a coward for retiring. When they finally had a match about it, Liger kicked Suzuki in the balls and unmasked to reveal facepaint, showing that he'd reverted to KISHIN LIGER, a demonic alter ego that has only manifested three times before in his thirty year history. Kishin Liger then proceeded to try to murder Suzuki with a sharp object and stabbed through a table as Suzuki ran for his life.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top