The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PPV DISCUSSION: RAW presents Elimination Chamber 2018
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10742
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 3-3-2018 at 02:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
Asuka is great, and I can't help thinking that the growing backlash against her (not necessarily here, but in general among sections of the fan base) is in part because fans are convinced they need to hate anyone WWE unambigously wants to push.

That's the thing, ennit? For all the many things they do wrong WWE simply can't be held responsible for a certain segment of fandom who are going to act like assholes for no other reason than they simply want to. Controlling that is simply not possible.

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3266
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 3-3-2018 at 04:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
Asuka is great, and I can't help thinking that the growing backlash against her (not necessarily here, but in general among sections of the fan base) is in part because fans are convinced they need to hate anyone WWE unambigously wants to push.
Well, there's some basic psychology potentially at work, but let me work our way to that.

With the amount of WWE Programming thrown at us, plus the semi-expectation for WWEUniverse Members to consume the WWENetwork and all other WWEThings any WWETime, there is a percentage of the WWEAudience (not the same as the Universe) bound to end up feeling contempt about something familiar -- "Familiarity breeds contempt", in slightly cliched terms. I'm not saying this is a widespread thing that is going to sink Asuka's battleship forever. It's just a thing that will be happening to almost every wrestler to some degree, based on how in-our-face they are at a given time.

For a similar case study, see "Hart, Kevin".

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3151
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 3-3-2018 at 08:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
Wait, don't undefeated streaks almost always go to the strong, silent type? Goldberg, Taker, Lesnar, Joe(he got a lot more chatty when TNA took him out of the X Division).

Asuka hits harder than any of the main roster women, she can sell intensity with her expressions and body language better than most, and her background ups her credibility. She was perfect for the choice of a long-running undefeated streak.

It's amazing that it's gone this far, surpassing even Goldberg's bloated numbers, but unless you're really high on Nia Jax I can't think of anybody else who could have made it work as well as Asuka did.

You got a point there about the strong, silent stuff. Nia wouldn’t work either because 2018 Nia and 2016 Nia are miles apart in ability. She’s come a long way.

Besides ... Carmella is gonna break her streak at Wrestlemania.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

<<  4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top