The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PPV DISCUSSION: RAW presents Elimination Chamber 2018
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6134
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Orton (Orton)

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lol, damn you! You blue it all to hell something something...

WWE is so . How hard is it to get this right? Do Roman vs. Braun at SS fer feck's sake.

quote:
Originally posted by Ortonmustdie
New conspiracy theory time!!

Royberto is actually Janard trolling the fuck outta everyone.

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by janerd75]

That was a darn fine NXT. - Imam DooKi Broiler Jerzistani El Ballenhoopi

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

royberto
I Do Not Know What Words Mean

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
That was terrible booking. Braun eliminates everyone, looks like the bigger star, Roman wins...and then Braun kicks Roman’s ass?

Why?

If it is to set up a triple threat...fuck no, pick Braun or pick Roman.
The booking is logical...if the guy winning is treated by the fans as a face. Monster heel kills everyone else, monster face overcomes that and eventually beats monster heel. Simple. The problem is that Roman isn't a face in any way shape or form. So, concept is wrestling 101. But even they knew it was flawed due to Reigns not getting cheered, so they booked the after match to get the crowd cheering to end the show. It's like they want to get the match done and move quickly past it.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4558
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bitching about Reigns going to face Brock aside (although mayhaps we'll be getting a triple threat?); that was a damn good EC match where just about everyone got a nice spot to shine.....

*Miz is just awesome... and given what a WM payday can mean (I've heard cases where both Flair and Orton pulled in about $800k for a nights work, so I would imagine a Miz match is still worth quite a nice chunk of change) so kudos to him if he's wiling to step away for the birth of his child. Loved the opening stuff, the yes kicks... the guy is a heat magnet.

*Balor actually made me believe he could be the one to take down Strowman.

*Seth isn't HBK, but he's up there IMO as one of those guys you can put into just about any match and he'll steal the show.

*Reigns; one thing that Reigns doesn't get enough credit for is that he sells really well; and has some good facial expressions to react to his opponents.

*Elias has a bright future... I'd like to see an IC run in his near future. Love that he kind of screwed himself trying to lift Strowman.

*Strowman.... Strowman smash... love that the charisma is in full gear now too.

*Cena... oddly enough he was probably the one guy who maybe didn't get the really big moment in the EC match; but if I was going to talk about tonight it would be Cena's post-match comments... The guy just sold something really real; that you're looking at the one time king of the mountain no longer sure about where he's at...that age catches up to us all. I think there's a really great story that can be told about Cena chasing a 17th title reign.

To Goon's comment: I agree that beating Cena isn't the big deal that it once was; but I think it is probably still special enough... The funny thing is that I think Cena's whole sitting up after a loss and looking dejected, or still able to fight but knows he lost is a really nice realistic touch... guys can lose and don't have to be carted off or slink out the back door... at the same time; and maybe because he's largely the only one who does it I think it kind of undersells beating him.

Overall tonight was a good to great show that delivered pretty much exactly what we all expected... So great in ring action, but maybe not great BIG picture storytelling.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4558
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In watching the post-show I would mark out like crazy if Strowman came out and beat the shit out of Reigns again.

If they wanted to get really out there have Reigns go home and Strowman there to beat the shit out of him again (you could claim Reigns was being filmed for a 24 special or something).

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10715
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Odd that Roy turned out to be one of the most entertaining parts of the entire event.
royberto

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
*Cena... oddly enough he was probably the one guy who maybe didn't get the really big moment in the EC match; but if I was going to talk about tonight it would be Cena's post-match comments... The guy just sold something really real; that you're looking at the one time king of the mountain no longer sure about where he's at...that age catches up to us all. I think there's a really great story that can be told about Cena chasing a 17th title reign.

To Goon's comment: I agree that beating Cena isn't the big deal that it once was; but I think it is probably still special enough... The funny thing is that I think Cena's whole sitting up after a loss and looking dejected, or still able to fight but knows he lost is a really nice realistic touch... guys can lose and don't have to be carted off or slink out the back door... at the same time; and maybe because he's largely the only one who does it I think it kind of undersells beating him.
I can agree with this. But he certainly looked old during his post show interview.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7839
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by royberto
quote:
That was terrible booking. Braun eliminates everyone, looks like the bigger star, Roman wins...and then Braun kicks Roman’s ass?

Why?

If it is to set up a triple threat...fuck no, pick Braun or pick Roman.
The booking is logical...if the guy winning is treated by the fans as a face. Monster heel kills everyone else, monster face overcomes that and eventually beats monster heel. Simple. The problem is that Roman isn't a face in any way shape or form. So, concept is wrestling 101. But even they knew it was flawed due to Reigns not getting cheered, so they booked the after match to get the crowd cheering to end the show. It's like they want to get the match done and move quickly past it.

Hogan booking 101 is monster heel squashes everyone, attacks Hogan, and Hogan wins. But they didn't have the bad guy bounce up and beat the snot out of Hogan. If you want to send the crowd home happy, change your plans. If you want Roman to get a win and momentum going in to Mania, Braun can survive taking an L.

Again...it's the entire shitshow. If Roman is your guy...he has to be your guy. 50/50 booking Roman and Braun is stupid. Pick a guy. Push him. And if you are too worried about your guy getting his ass booed out of town...maybe he shouldn't be your guy.

Making Braun look like a million bucks is great...but not if he's not the guy. All he is going to do is make people lukewarm on Roman go "push Braun instead". And nobody wins there.

royberto

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Hogan booking 101 is monster heel squashes everyone, attacks Hogan, and Hogan wins. But they didn't have the bad guy bounce up and beat the snot out of Hogan. If you want to send the crowd home happy, change your plans. If you want Roman to get a win and momentum going in to Mania, Braun can survive taking an L.

Again...it's the entire shitshow. If Roman is your guy...he has to be your guy. 50/50 booking Roman and Braun is stupid. Pick a guy. Push him. And if you are too worried about your guy getting his ass booed out of town...maybe he shouldn't be your guy.

Making Braun look like a million bucks is great...but not if he's not the guy. All he is going to do is make people lukewarm on Roman go "push Braun instead". And nobody wins there.
Which is why I would have had Braun take the pin when all 5 guys were covering him at once. That way you can come up with abetter finish for Roman instead of one where even 4 superman punches and 2 spears isn't enough to make it believable.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2435
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
How fucking strong is Crossfit Jesus anyway to be able pick up a hoss like Reigns as if he weighed less than a cruiserweight?

Bro, I saw this kid coming back in 2007.

You are now a believer.

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by CamstunPWG187]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10715
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 2-26-2018 at 05:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That performance last Monday alone was the reason I picked Rollins to win tonight. He didn't but he's still one in a million. If he ends up on SD he could revitalize that entire show in one night.
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 2-26-2018 at 07:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Both Elimination Chamber matches were booked horribly.

Make fun of Roy all you guys want-- but I do agree with him, in a sense. Alexa should be booked as a chickenshit who only wins by the skin of her teeth. Watching her dominate Sasha at the end there was somewhat ridiculous. The Sasha heel turn could have been accomplished SO much more logically and easily. It's pretty mind boggling how this company can fuck up even the most paint-by-numbers booking.

The final three were Sasha, Bayley and Bliss. Bayley eliminates Sasha. Sasha is pissed off and crushes Bayley before leaving, Alexa takes advantage and gets a cheap pin. Fin. How hard would that have been?

And the main event. Hahahaha, Jesus Christ. Yeah, let's take the guy who everyone is getting behind, who is OVER AS FUCK... and instead of just calling an audible and having him, oh, I don't know, WIN THE FUCKING MATCH, you job him out to some wet haired dickbag everybody hates.

Look, everyone knew (despite what DK kept arguing about in the Raw thread) that Roman The Push: Year Four was going to happen. But why do it the way in which they did? As was already said, they should've just had Braun get eliminated when he had four guys pinning him at once. Instead, they have that dude do all the work and look like a zillion bucks, and then of course Roman comes in and gets some weiner ass pin at the very end. What a sack of shit. And that's how they book a guy who already gets the hell booed out of him all the time? How could anyone in the back possibly think that is supposed to endear him to anybody, anywhere?

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10715
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 2-26-2018 at 07:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Mild disagreements on the Women's EC:

- they've been teasing the tension between Sasha and Bayley for quite a while so Sasha attacking her makes sense; and it's not a full heel turn either because it wasn't anything DQ-able or genuinely backstabby either (like if she joined up with Absolution or Nia or Alexa in giving Bayley a post-match beat-down/group booting)
- Alexa's post-win promo was perfect; tricked the audience with some surprisingly sincere thanks and such and then did the now-classic Alexa fake-out by basically calling all the fans a bunch of wads; I have no idea how this can be regarded as a booking failure because these types of duplicitous turn-on-a-dime promos are a staple of the business; people cheer Heel Alexa because they like her, just like they cheered for Heel Rock or Heel SCSA; if anything this is a compliment to how genuinely great Alexa is at her role of arrogant dismissive heel and nowhere near the massive booking disaster it's being described as here on OO

Men's EC match? Meh with a side-order of whatever. It looks like it leads to a triple-threat match at WM when Braun somehow gets figured into the mix if for no other reason than they're not going to waste his momentum by putting him in something as throwaway as the Andre battle royale. It's conceivable that Rollins ends up in that championship match too for the same reason, unless they have him take the IC title off of Miz so he can be with Maryse during the expected birth period.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8306
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 2-26-2018 at 08:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That's my point with Banks/Bayley. Enough pussyfooting around. That was the perfect spot to pull off the full on turn, while also giving Bliss that extra chickenshitty push. Plus, she still could have pulled off the same post match promo-- which for the record, I enjoyed. Not to mention her weeping during the first part of the promo would have given it that extra stink of insincerity.

And I still can't believe anyone (DK) thought anybody but Reigns winning wasn't a total and complete lock. Here's a video of Vince talking about the Reigns push when someone in the back suggested to maybe go with a Plan B:

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 778
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2018 at 09:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Totally agree with you guys on why was Brawn booked to look like a million bucks but Dopey Dawg gets the win. Was dumb.

During the Women's one, I was hoping Deville and Rose would've ended up backing up Bliss. With Paige not being able to rassle anymore, they could've been Bliss's new goons.

And I was hoping to see Balor do his stompy thing from the hole in the top of the chamber. Then I realized that that move could've killed both Balor and the guy taking it.

royberto

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 2-26-2018 at 11:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Mild disagreements on the Women's EC:

- they've been teasing the tension between Sasha and Bayley for quite a while so Sasha attacking her makes sense; and it's not a full heel turn either because it wasn't anything DQ-able or genuinely backstabby either (like if she joined up with Absolution or Nia or Alexa in giving Bayley a post-match beat-down/group booting)
- Alexa's post-win promo was perfect; tricked the audience with some surprisingly sincere thanks and such and then did the now-classic Alexa fake-out by basically calling all the fans a bunch of wads; I have no idea how this can be regarded as a booking failure because these types of duplicitous turn-on-a-dime promos are a staple of the business; people cheer Heel Alexa because they like her, just like they cheered for Heel Rock or Heel SCSA; if anything this is a compliment to how genuinely great Alexa is at her role of arrogant dismissive heel and nowhere near the massive booking disaster it's being described as here on OO
It failed for the same reason Roman's finish failed. The fans cheered her regardless, just as they booed Roman regardless. The promo looks like shit when you aren't gettig the desired reaction.

As it is, Alexa is a chickenshit heel. BOOK HER LIKE ONE. She should't be dominating anyone. She needs to getr take sever beatings and win by the skin of her teeth. Watch some goddamn Miz matches and learn.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2466
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 2-26-2018 at 01:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Perfectly fine, if predictable, show. I'm fine with Roman winning and don't have the interest to argue about it with people anymore. Braun looked great and I love Seth Rollins pretty much always.

I thought the Ronda segment was surprisingly good and she was over in the right way.

I want to care about Matt and Bray, but I don't.

Not sure who can face The Bar at Mania at this point. Another multi-man? Bring up the Authors of Pain? I dunno.

I liked the Women's Chamber, but kind of wish Sasha had won. She and Bayley seem like they're going to go at it at WM anyway and anything they do will overshadow whatever match Alexa ends up having (Nia, I'm guessing, with Asuka going to face Charlotte).

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 2-26-2018 at 02:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Perfectly fine, if predictable, show. I'm fine with Roman winning and don't have the interest to argue about it with people anymore.

Yup, this is me at this point. It's clear that the WWE is charging ahead with Reigns as raising the belt at the end of Mania. No amount of bitching and complaining is going to stop it. Have at it, Vince.

You win.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1977
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2018 at 03:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Remember how ridiculous we were all being week ago for buying into bullshit “rumors” and taking it as a given that Roman was winning?

I'm Cherokee Jack!

Punk Munkee
rOOkie

Posts 43
Registered 1-23-2013

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why does Alexa HAVE to be a chickenshit heel? Why do people hate the Yankees? Tom Brady? Steph/LeBron? Because they WIN in your face. I think of Alexa as the same way. Brady's not winning any 100 yard dashes, but he can throw. She's not the best technical wrestler, but she has big time moves and convincingly wins, then trolls the whole crowd perfectly. Just incredible. And she's smokin'. No complaints here. Also, if she's really going to face Asuka, I like her looking like she can beat anyone else on any night, even when the odds are not in her favor or she doesn't like the circumstances.

I can barely remember the tag match, but Apollo has taken way too many of the wrong "Choose Your Own Adventure" choices. He needs to go back to the first one and try again. Titus Worldwide makes so much more sense as a heel faction.

Asuka looking like she barely survived Nia made sense, too. Not all of her NXT run was a steamroller. She snuck out with a few close ones there, and probably should on the big stage, too. Nia needs more experience, but she's in a good spot.

Hardy won. Woohoo. Only thing I find remarkable anymore is how his theme music opening almost sounds like Broken Road Warrior Hawk. They need to spend more time explaining this "Woken" thing minus Bray.

I though Kurt was hilarious in that segment. Like, "I'm tired of this sh*t so bring it on!" Rousey looked bad at first, but didn't Kurt's very first segment ever go kinda poorly? Then they brought him back in all badass and the rest is history. Plus she recovered and rocked it.

The men's chamber seemed about par for the course as they go, but there's not much more to say about Reigns winning. I guess my thought was that last spear didn't seem too convincing, and I kinda ed at that. Braun vs. Brock is money and I loved Braun's promos last week on RAW and this week before EC. "BEASTIE BOY!!!" Reigns of course, just plainly stated the obvious booking plans, and didn't even say "Believe that" or anything remotely threatening. He puts me to sleep.

All in all, Wrestlemania should give the EC PPV some context, I believe. Some of the things that don't make sense now might in about six weeks or so.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3130
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
Remember how ridiculous we were all being week ago for buying into bullshit “rumors” and taking it as a given that Roman was winning?

You weren’t being ridiculous at all. If anything I’m the idiot for thinking that the WWE would listen to their audience since Roman isn’t going to get any more over and likely will be damaged right back into ReBOOOOOOOOOOO territory again after somewhat escaping it recently.

But regardless, even if the rumor was right this time, I still don’t believe essentially anything out of Meltzer’s mouth or think that most Wrestlemania plans (aside from Rock v Cena a few years ago) are written in stone for a full calendar year.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, 0 Time Award Winner

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3130
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 2-26-2018 at 04:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Perfectly fine, if predictable, show. I'm fine with Roman winning and don't have the interest to argue about it with people anymore.

Yup, this is me at this point. It's clear that the WWE is charging ahead with Reigns as raising the belt at the end of Mania. No amount of bitching and complaining is going to stop it. Have at it, Vince.

You win.

It really does feel like we’ve reached full on Stockholm Syndrome at this point.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4558
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2018 at 06:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The shame of it is that Reigns really is one of the WWE's better performers; but he's so much better when he's elevating people (and that doesn't have to mean jobbing) or put into more natural feuds than these manufactured "moments" that Vince likes to create.

Reigns and Lesnar will more than likely bust their ass and deliver a hard hitting match at WM, but barring one of them shooting fireworks out of their ass mid-match all anyone will remember is more Reigns resentment.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12677
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 2-26-2018 at 06:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm just sad that I don't get a video of Punker eating a hat.

You know what would be awesome? If there was a swerve ending the last time we had Reigns vs Lesnar. I remember last time we had Reigns vs Lesnar at WM and how much bitching and moaning that was, only to have Seth Rollins cash in and end the night as the WWE Champion.

I know there's no current MITB holder, so that's out the window, but who knows?

(yes, I'm trying to be optimistic)

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7409
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 2-26-2018 at 07:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It’s really easy to fix Reigns, especially since were at that time of the year where Dana White and Brock are teasing a UFC return: have Heyman turn on Brock and become Reigns’ new advocate. Yes, heel turns don’t fix everyone. But one would fix Roman, because nothing major needs fixing. He just needs a reason to make people interested in him and Paul Heyman can do that. And in a year or so, when he’s getting cheers, which he will because he’s actually talented, you turn him face and the people won’t fight it (much).

Or they can make him “controversial” like John Cena and keep him uninterested. Either of those works for WWE because most people won’t stop watching and I’ll still only get the Rumble every year.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3130
Registered 1-25-2008

posted on 2-26-2018 at 07:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
It’s really easy to fix Reigns, especially since were at that time of the year where Dana White and Brock are teasing a UFC return: have Heyman turn on Brock and become Reigns’ new advocate. Yes, heel turns don’t fix everyone. But one would fix Roman, because nothing major needs fixing. He just needs a reason to make people interested in him and Paul Heyman can do that. And in a year or so, when he’s getting cheers, which he will because he’s actually talented, you turn him face and the people won’t fight it (much).

Or they can make him “controversial” like John Cena and keep him uninterested. Either of those works for WWE because most people won’t stop watching and I’ll still only get the Rumble every year.

Here’s the problem with Roman ... there is no problem with Roman. THAT is what pisses everyone off. Anyone with two eyes and a reasonably open mind can see that in 2018 he’s one of the best performers in the world. The guy is VERY good at his job.

The problem is that he’s a walking, talking professional version of the jock who gets all the hot chicks in high school while also having a 4.0 GPA and rich parents. I don’t know if you know this or not but there are a lot of fans out there who can’t identify with someone like this.

Roman doesn’t need a mouth piece. He needs ADVERSITY. And not manufactured adversity. More like “oh shit, I hope Roman survived (fill in the blank awful situation)”. Until then his stupid man pretty perfect jawline will be the subject of our collective scorn.

It’s all pure jealousy but until something massively changes for Joe Anoai, Roman Reigns will continue to be boo’d by us 18 to 45 year old fat guys who may or may not be virgins.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top