The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What are your top ten favorite games of all time?
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6784
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-5-2018 at 03:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What are your top ten favorite games of all time?

It seems like there hasn't been much gaming talk going on here lately, so I thought this could maybe generate some fun discussion (or hey, it could fall flat on it's face). So what are everyone's top ten favorite video games of all time? I'm going to try to list mine in order, though most of them are pretty interchangeable as far as their rankings go.

1. Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64): 20 years after it's release, Banjo-Kazooie is probably still my favorite video game of all time. The gameplay, the music, the graphics...I just love everything about it and this was pretty much Rare at the peak of their powers. I still hold out hope that one day Nintendo and Microsoft work something out so that the bird and bear can appear on a Nintendo console again, but that's probably wishful thinking.

2. Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube): Just to show how much I love Resident Evil 4, I've played through it multiple times on multiple consoles: the Gamecube, the Wii, and the PS3. Hell, if they made it available for download on the Switch right now, I'd probably buy it yet again like the sucker I am. And not only was it truly amazing at the time of it's release, but Capcom also made the ballsy move of totally reinventing the Resident Evil franchise with the fourth installment (and it worked).

3. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES): The fact that I still pick up and play Punch-Out to this very day is probably a testament to the game's greatness. Simple but ingenious (especially for the time) gameplay, great graphics (again, especially for the time), and some damn catchy tunes make it one of my all-time faves. Plus Mario serves as the referee, so that's an automatic win right there.

4. Final Fantasy III (SNES): I've long maintained that Final Fantasy II will always be my nostalgic favorite of the entire series, but Final Fantasy III (or VI as it's now officially known in North America) is the better game. It's just a monster of a RPG that has so much depth and customization to it. Plus, the fact that you're able to use every single character in the final boss battle is one of my favorite things in video games ever.

5. Final Fantasy II (SNES): I was about 11 years old when I first played this game and it blew my mind. I had never played a video game that played out like a movie, where characters joined and left your party (and sometimes died) as the story progressed. It's not as big or as impressive as Final Fantasy III, but few games make me feel as nostalgic as II. And like Resident Evil 4, I've played through Final Fantasy II multiple times on multiple consoles (SNES, Gameboy Advance, Wii, and the 3D remake on the DS).

6. Chrono Trigger (SNES): What's this, another Square SNES RPG in my top ten? That's correct. This was their swan song on the SNES and they pretty much knocked it out of the park in every single facet. The only qualm I have with the game (and why I rank it below FF II/III) is that it offers you multiple characters, but only allows you to use three at a time. So inevitably whenever I play Chrono Trigger, I settle on my kickass party of Crono/Robo/Ayla while everyone else is relegated to the sidelines. Other than that, this is pretty much RPG perfection.

7. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii): There are multiple Mario games I could throw in this spot, but I'm going with Galaxy. It's pretty much the perfect Mario 3D platformer and one of the few games that I ever put in the time to 100% complete (getting all 120 stars with both Mario and Luigi). Plus I really liked the trippy anti-gravity gameplay and thought it added something new to the Mario series.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch): The game has been out for less than a year, but it's already supplanted Ocarina of Time as the Zelda game of choice on my top ten list. I don't think I've had a "holy shit, I can't believe I'm really playing something like this" feeling since Mario 64 over 20 years ago, which is really saying something. Nintendo reinvented the franchise with Breath of the Wild and created the best Zelda game ever.

9. Street Fighter II (Arcade/SNES): I couldn't do a top ten list without including the king of arcade fighting games. If you were a kid in the early 90s, you know that this was THE game to play at the arcade and I don't know how many quarters my brother and I pumped into Street Fighter II and it's various incarnations circa 1992. Not to mention I've lost track of how many console versions of Street Fighter II and it's sequels that I've played over the years.

10. Madden Football (Wii/Wii U): I've spent so many hours of my life playing Madden online on the Wii and Wii U (yes, I'm weird and don't play it Sony/Microsoft consoles) that I feel like it had to be on my list. And it's hard for me to really narrow it down to a specific version of Madden since they all tend to kind of run together, but if I had to pick, I'd probably go with Madden 13 on the Wii U, since I probably put the most time into that game.

So there's my list. Come ask me a week or a month from now and it might very well look different, but that's what I'm going with right now.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1949
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 2-5-2018 at 07:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
1.) The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of Time[b/] - The best example of 2D games being translated into a 3D world that ever happened during that period of time. An outstanding mix of simple yet effective storytelling, a legendary OST, a huge variety of dungeons, great graphics and art direction, and controls that still hold up makes OoT my favorite game of all time. I'll never forget finally seeing the game in action after forever seeing the game in the pro-strategy guides in the back of GamePRO and EGM.

2.) Super Metroid[b/] - The best Metroid game was in captivity. Then it was released. The galaxy was at peace. The deepest depths of Zebes kept me inside the house for a large amount of time. I couldn't get enough of Super Metroid. It's a marvel of game design. No hand-holding, bosses that are almost too pretty to pummel, and a dearth of collectible power-ups round out the greatest 2D game ever made.

3.) Super Mario 64[b/] - Mario 64 is the greatest platforming game ever made. It's controls,at the time, were so revolutionary that most of us just couldn't comprehend their masterful greatness until years later when we realized it still controlled better than just about all other 3D games. Mario will never be this revolutionary ever again, and the surprise I felt as my brother walked outside holding the 64 box behind his back as I was walking home from the bus stop...you can't forget that kind of moment.

4.) Super Castlevania IV[b/] - My favorite series of all time, and this is the game that truly made me realize that. It's haunting soundtrack is the highlight of the game, with the entirety of it being pure bliss to the ears. Konami toned the difficulty down slighty by adding a really cool 8-way whipping mechanic, which makes the game vastly more welcoming than all of the other traditional 2D Castlevania games.

5.) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night/Castlevania: Circle of the Moon[b/] - I couldn't pick one. Haven't been able to for 17 years and I still can't. They are both expertly crafted 2D actions games, yet both service a different genre of fans. SOTN is beautiful, bigger, and has a great story, while COTM has the old-school difficulty that Castlevania fans crave, a darker tone, and amazing boss fights. Both of them have outstanding soundtracks, with SOTN barely squeaking by COTM's. They are both the cream of the crop of the "Metroidvania"-style Castlevania games, and should both be experienced by 2D action game fans.

6.) Super Smash Bros. Wii[b/] - Dethroning Melee from my list is the Wii U incarnation. Hopefully ported to the Switch soon, Smash Wii U is just an overflowing Nintendo storm with surprisingly deep mechanics that are still the highlight of most fighting game tournaments throughout the world. A lot of the characters in this version have never been better, and the variety of single-player activities is excellent. Don't listen to those who say Project M is better. They just refuse to move on from Melee.

7.) Shadow of the Colossus[b/] - The greatest Playstation 2 game ever made. Shadow of the Colossus is so epic, beautiful, and creepy that you won't ever forget the pain you feel as you deliver the finishing blow on the final colossus. The game emits emotions from the player that are hard to comprehend, let alone explain to someone who hasn't experienced it. The open-ended nature of the creator's storytelling makes it even more whimsical and mysterious, and you'll constantly want to replay it in hopes of discovering more about this mysterious world you've come across.

8.) HALO: Combat Evolved[b/] - When I first played HALO, it didn't click. I hadn't yet gotten the hang of dual-analogue controllers after years of being a PC FPS player, and just deemed it "pretty, but not for me". Then my brother bought an Xbox and things changed. I slowly began to realize the wonders of Legendary co-op, truly innovative enemy AI, and just why a soundtrack is so important in making not only a game, but media in general. Multiplayer on levels such as blood gulch and the small River bank level make HALO stand tall above the rest, but it's the truly amazing ending sequence at the end of the game that steals the show above all else.

9.) Mega Man X[b/] - For a long time, Mega Man X was my favorite game of all time. I'll never forget seeing the Nintendo Power issue with the metallic cover, fawning over just how badass the new Mega Man looked. I couldn't keep my eyes off of the main article. I would even go to a friends house JUST TO READ IT. After playing it and hearing that beautiful introductory stage music, I was hooked. Never has there been a cooler lineup of bosses in the history of video games. The level design is perfection, the soundtrack is the best in the series, and the pacing is top-notch. This is Mega Man at his finest.

10.) The Legend of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild[b/] - It was either this or Yoshi's Island. I picked BOTW because it did something to me that games haven't been able to do to me in nearly 19 years. It stole my soul. The first 10 hours of BOTW are probably my favorite moments in video game history, and the game never lets up. It's truly open-ended gameplay is remarkable. Never before have I felt so free in a video game. It's the most beautiful game of the modern era, and the elegant soundtrack is a huge achievement.

And, for fun, here's my top 100 from 2003:

100) Pikmin (Gamecube) - Unique. That's the only word to describe this Nintendo masterpiece that came into our homes a few weeks after the Gamecube's Launch. You assume the role of a ship-wrecked man from outer space, and your ship's pieces have scattered all over the strange planet you have crashed on. Your only hope for getting back home? Little creature's known as Pikmin, who you use to fight monsters, solve puzzles, and to help get you back home.

99.) Super Smash Bros. (N64) - Mario packing heat with a Laser Gun?! Samus using a Fire Flower to put down Donkey Kong?! Nintendo sure did surprise us with this odd fighting game. It also played differently from any other fighting game out there: You fought in a variety of classic Nintendo-themed arena's, and the way to "score" was to knock your opponent out of the arena by making your opponent weaker. With "Multi-Player Madness" written all over it, this game went on to become a Nintendo classic.

98.) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy) - Platformer's didn't get much better than this on the original Game Boy. Instead of being forced to go from one World to the next, you had the option to go to whatever world you felt best. Also introducing one of the most famous Nintendo villains ever, Wario, this game is still caught in people's Game Boy's every now and then...

97.) Street Fighter 2 (Arcade, SNES) - Street Fighter...Not one person who has ever played a videogame doesn't know about this classic fighting series. Great Character designs, Wonderful Music, and a revolutionary Combo system made this game an instant hit. Street Fighter was great, but Street Fighter 2 took it up to another level.

96.) Wipeout XL (PS1) - After F-Zero for the SNES, there wasn't really any real competition for a fast, futuristic racer that had the speed, and level design of the original F-Zero. Enter Wipeout, an extremely fast, and wonderfully designed racing series that gave F-Zero a run for it's money. Using liscenced music from such bands as the Chemical Brothers, and Prodigy, Wipeout was a huge hit, and XL was the highlight of the series, in both level design and speed.

95.) Jet Set Radio Future (Xbox) - The successor to Jet Grind Radio, JSRF is still one of the most pretty games on the Xbox, and for good reason. Just like the first one, your part of an underground gang that is out to put a stop to Tokyo's leader, and his government. How are you going to do this? By making graffiti all over the cities, as well as your enemies. The game's soundtrack didn't dissapoint, either, and is one of the best videogame soundtracks around. Although a lot easier than the first one, this one makes up for that by adding a much deeper create-your-own-graffiti option, as well as a fun multi-player mode.

94.) Jet Grind Radio (Dreamcast) - A truly unique design (in both Gameplay AND Graphics), JGR was the beggining of the now-popular Cel-Shaded graphics look. The whole idea of the game was odd...You are part of an underground gang of anarchist's trying to put a stop to the crooked government of Tokyo. To do this, you have to go around the city of Tokyo, showing your gang's true colors by covering the city in your gang's graffiti. It's not that easy though, as you have to watch out for Tokyo's finest armed forces, as well as your rival gangs who always try to get in your way. A sleeper hit if there ever was one, this game is one of the best reasons to go back out and find a Dreamcast.

93.) Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PS1) - Of the entire Resident Evil series, Nemesis stand's out as the best. Using classic Resident Evil Gameplay, Capcom also gave us a real reason to run for our lives while solving those puzzles and running around those sewers: The Nemesis. What it's obsession with the STARS Police Force was is beyond our knowledge, but it sure did give way to some truly scary moments. With alternate path's to choose, and the ability to play as two characters, Resident Evil 3 gave us one more reason to go back to our Playstations...

92.) Sly Cooper And The Thievius Raccoonus (PS2) - Platforming + Stealthy Gameplay = Sly Cooper. What a great combination. Sly Cooper is surely a sleeper hit, and it really shouldn't be. The story is simple enough: Your character is from a long line of thieves who have all made a huge impact on the art of being a criminal, and to show this, they put their markings in a book known as the Thievius Raccoonus. All is well until you discover that your family book has just been stolen, and it's up to you to sneak, jump, and swing your way through each world, and get your book back. With clever character designs, great gameplay, and a unique Cel Shading art style, this game is a PS2 classic.

91.) Super Ghouls N' Ghost (SNES, GBA) - Old School platformers don't get much harder than this game. Period. The story is simple: Rescue your girlfriend who is being held in the bad guy's castle. Now you must fight your way through Graveyards, Fiery Caves, and Haunted Ships, all filled with nasty monster's waiting to tear you up. Well timed jumps and a set of quick fingers were the essentials to overcoming this nasty challenge, and if you get to the end of the game on Normal mode, your in for a shocker, the true ending must be achieved on Hard Mode. This game is also found on the Genesis, but don't worry, it's not better, it's just easier.

90.) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (PS1, Dreamcast) - Up until Top Skater, there was no game on the market that truly gave you a true skating simulation. When 1999 came along, so did this gem. With excellent level designs, a great soundtrack, and an impressive set of tricks at your disposal, this game set the standards for skating games forever.

89.) Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2) - Your an ex-convict who has been broken out of jail, and your main objective is to get revenge on your ex-girlfriend who left you for dead. How will you do this, you ask? By making money and gaining power throughout Liberty City, a city that bears a striking resembelance to New York. The sheer ammount of freedom and gameplay stand out as one of the finest games on the PS2. Don't wanna do a mission? Then go and beat up old people for money, or even steal a convertible to put in your garage for safe keeping. Guns, Money, Cars, Freedom.....This game has it all.

88.) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (Xbox) - The Tony Hawk series hit a new high with this entry. Including all of the combo's, tricks, and great level designs that made the first 3 so popular, this one didn't force you to complete the objectives in a set time limit, but instead let you roam around the massive levels freely, finding objectives to do, and then having to complete those objectives in the alloted time. The design was perfect, and makes it the highlight of the series.

87.) Contra (NES) - One of the most difficult action games of our time, Contra is the perfect example of an old-school challenge. The premise is simple: shoot your way through each level with a variety of different weapons, with each weapon working best in different situations, and then getting to the end of the level to face-off against an impressive boss. Even to this day, the Contra series is still known by many hardcore gamers as the greatest action series of all time, and the first one hit it off with a bang.

86.) Metroid Fusion (GBA) - Being a successor to Super Metroid, Fusion had a lot to live up to. Live up to Super Metroid, it did, and it's one of the best GBA games around. This time around, Samus has been infected with a life-threatening disease by an unknown parasite known as the "X". After being injected with Metroid DNA, the X in Samus's body is exterminated, and because of this she now has the ability to absorb different techniques from monsters and bosses. With the same great level design that made Super Metroid, this one would have ranked higher if it were only longer.

85.) Super Contra (NES) - The sequel to the highly acclaimed Contra, Super C outshined it's predecessor in almost every way imaginable. Not only was it harder, but it also included new level designs and weapons that put us right back into the battle between humans and aliens.

84.) Ghostbusters (Genesis) - Forget those mediocore NES Ghostbusters games, the Genesis version is the real deal. A first generation Genesis game, this one had the classic Ghostbusters feel that made us love the movie so much. You chose from the 3 main characters, each with their own weaknesses and strengths, and selected what level (apartments) you wanted to rid of Ghost's. The level designs were perfect, and it really made you feel that you were in a house that was haunted by Poltergeist. Impressive boss designs and a great weapon selection make this game one of a kind.

83.) Mega Man Zero (GBA) - A Mega Man game starring Zero as the main character? Sounds good to me, and it more than outshined itself in both story and gameplay. You are Zero, the famous Maverick Hunter who helped rid the world of the Sigma Virus with your friend, X, and you have been awakened after 100 years of carbonation to help rid the world of a new threat. The cool cyber-elf system was a clever addition, and the "level up"-type system for your weapons was excellent. Extremely challenging, Mega Man Zero proves why the Mega Man series is still great, and for good reason.

82.) Advanced Wars (GBA) - One of the deepest strategy games around, Advanced Wars surprised everyone who owned a Game Boy Advance with it's deep gameplay and engaging campaign mode. Multi-Player is great, too, leading to some really deep and exciting battles with your friends. The Map-Editor was extremely deep and engaging, and allowed you to trade different maps with your friend via Link Cable.

81.) NFL Blitz (Arcade, PS1) - Ahh, NBA Jam set the standards for Arcade Sports games, but Blitz perfected it. With easy pick-up-and-play controls, simple gameplay, and bone-crunching tackles and slams that were unheard of for it's time, NFL Blitz will always be a classic. Multi-player matches are a must.

80.) Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis) - Sega needed a character that not only could please gamers in design, but also a character who could rival Nintendo's Mario. Enter Sonic The Hedgehog, an extremely fast character who made Mario look like a snail in speed-comparison, and he brought along some great level designs with him, as well. The soundtrack was excellent, as well (Starlight Zone, anyone?), and proved that the Genesis could compete with the SNES on every level. Sonic is one of the most well-known characters to this day, and this game shows us why that is.

79.) Super Mario RPG: The Legend of The Seven Stars (SNES) - Square and Nintendo really outdid themselves with this one. Not only did they make a deep RPG, but it still had that Mario-feel to it, as well. Like all Square RPG's, it had a nice turn-based battle system, which may or may not turn off fans of the good old fashioned Mario design. If your a fan of RPG's, then DEFINITELY pick up this one, it won't dissapoint.

78.) Mario Kart 64 (N64) - The most highly anticipated game for the N64 after Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 came to the system with impressive graphics, great level design, and the same great Multi-player that the first one gave us. With the exclusion of Koopa Troopa, Nintendo replaced him with Wario, Mario's evil rival. The game was a hit, and it went on to become a best-seller.

77.) Bomberman Online (Dreamcast) - If not for this game, Saturn Bomberman would have been here instead, but that's not the case anymore. Bomberman Online came out and amazed fans of the series with it's incredibly fun multi-player over the Internet. It's a shame SegaNet isn't around anymore, because this was one of the most fun online experiences ever.

76.) Worms World Party (Dreamcast) - Talk about another great online game for the Dreamcast. Using the classic Worm's strategy-based gameplay, you would wonder why they didn't take this series online back when Worm's Armaggedon came out. Your control a team of 4 worms, all placed randomly on the map (arena), and you try to defeat the other 3 teams of worms by using weapons such as Mortars, Mini-Guns, and even an air-strike of flying sheep, all in a great turn-based battling system. This is ultimately the Dreamcast's best online game, and one of the best online games. Period.

75.) Unreal Tournament: Game Of The Year Edition (PC) - PC First Person Shooters don't get as fun as this. Sure there is Counter-Strike, but this game showed us why online FPS's are so fun. With a variety of different weapons, levels, and gameplay modes, this one kept PC Gamers in front of their computer screens for a long time.

74.) Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (Xbox) - When they said "Stealth Action Redefined", they weren't joking. When it comes to nailing the art of stealth gameplay down, Ubi Soft nailed it with this one. You play the role of Sam Fisher, a retired agent who used to be part of an elite group of spies for the government known as "Splinter Cells". You have been called in to put a stop to an on-going war over in Europe, and to do this your going to have to sneak, kill, and find out all you can about it to put an end to it.

73.) Sky Gunner (PS2) - One of the finest examples of 3D shooters today, Sky Gunner is one of the great sleeper hits of today's world. You play as 1 of 3 different pilots, and you must put an end to a villain trying to steal an engine that can run forever. To do this you are going to have to show your true piloting skills by defeating the enemy, but doing it with style and speed in order to get the best scores. A great combination of music, graphics, and deep dog-fighting gameplay put's this one up there with the best of them.

72.) Donkey Kong 64 (N64) - One of the longest platforming games ever, DK 64 rocked the N64 with it's Banjo-Kazooie like gameplay, and classic DK style enviroments. Using the full power the N64's expansion pack, this game was a true site to behold when it first came out, with wonderful textures and incredible animations. The game's music was another impressive feature, using old and new themes from the DK series, and mixing them together wonderfully. The game's bosses didn't dissapoint either, giving us huge, comical bosses that perfectly matched the classic Donkey Kong Scenario. The controls were just like a platformer should be, nice and tight, and never confusing. If it weren't for the rather weak multi-player, this one would have ranked a lot higher.

71.) Mega Man X3 (SNES) - The Mega Man X series has always been great, and X3 is another fine example of it. Same old Megaman X formula: Choose what level you want to go to, blast your way through until you get to the level's boss, collecting armor upgrades and power ups at the same time. You also had the option to play as Zero, X's parter in the fight against Sigma and the Mavericks. Zero played differently from X in terms of weaponry, instead of a blaster, Zero used an awesome Light Sabre-esque sword to destroy his enemies. You couldn't go through the entire game with him, sadly, but it is still fun to play with him nonetheless. Story-wise, X3 was great, explaining even more about the reploids and their future. With great music, graphics, and story, X3 is up there with the best of them.

70.) Star Fox 64 (N64) - The N64 needed another push, and in the summer of 1997 Star Fox 64 delivered. Not only did it offer great gameplay mechanics and an engaging story, but it also showed off graphics that were state-of-the-art for it's time. Using the same great gameplay mechanics of the original Star Fox, Nintendo took advantage of the N64's technology and allowed player's to have an even deeper flight experience than the original. The incredible bosses, wonderful music, and alternate path's gave way for an experience that was unforgettable.

69.) Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) - Originally supposed to be a title aimed for the younger audience, Rare made a complete 180 degree turn and made Conkey 64 into Conker's Bad Fur Day. Not only was this title a great platformer, but it was also one of the most shocking display's in the history of videogames in terms of story and adult content. Graphically, Rare takes the cake for making the single-most impressive looking title for the N64, ever. Great voice acting and story make this one of the great classics that have us going back to our N64's to play once again. Did I mention that CBFD also holds the trophy for having one of the coolest end levels in the history of videogames?

68.) Bust-A-Move (Multiple Platforms) - A classic puzzle design if there ever was one, the Bust-A-Move series has never gotten old in terms of gameplay, and it most likely never will. Wonder where that game Snood got it's design from? Your looking at it right now, except this game is much more fun. Multi-player matches never get old with this classic.

67.) Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast) - Playing the role of a Taxi Driver didn't sound fun at first, but when this game hit the arcades it was an instant classic. The objective was simple: Drive around for as long as you can before the time runs out. How can you stop the time from running out, you ask? By constantly picking up different passengers and delivering them to their destinations (Sega nabbed the rights to have such franchises as KFC, Fifa, and Tower Records to appear around the city), and gaining extra points by taking short-cuts, and doing some insane moves with your cab. The Arcade version was good, but the Dreamcast version beat it in terms of mini-games and adding a brand new city for people to play in.

66.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time (Arcade, SNES) - A rare arcade board, Turtles in Time improved on everything that should be done with a Konami Beat-Em-Up. It had the same great gameplay design, while including some really impressive graphical displays at the same time. The story this time was the same, you were after Shredder, but when you reach him, he uses a time machine to send you back into different time periods, making the game a lot more interesting. Whether it be fighting on a runaway train in the old west, or fighting Rocksteady and Bebop on an old pirate ship, this game had it all. If it weren't for the game being a tad bit easier than the original, this one would have been put in front of it. The game was a great experience no matter how many people you were playing with, which is rare for these type of games.

65.) The Simpsons Arcade Game (Arcade) - An instant arcade classic, Konami used it's excellent Beat-Em-Up formula with the Simpsons franchise, and reached a new level for the Beat-Em-Up genre. Playing as the 1 of the four members of the Simpsons family, you were out on a mission to rescue baby Maggie from Mr. Burns, who has kidnapped her for the diamond she posseses in her mouth (you would have to see the opening sequence to understand). The game was even better with 4 players playing at the same time, as you got the most out of the interactivity in the levels.

64.) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game (Arcade) - In a time where Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the most popular franchise around, Konami took full advantage of it and created this classic Beat-Em-Up. It may not be the first real Beat-Em-Up of it's kind, but it sure is the best. You chose from one of the four turtles, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, and battled through many different areas in order to find Shredder and rescue April O'Neale. The thing that made the game so great was the way it made you feel as if you were really playing a cartoon, with graphics that perfectly matched the Turtles cartoon in every way. With awesome boss battles, and fantastic music, this game will always be remembered by many as the best Beat-Em-Up around, not just for the franchise, but for the extremely simple, yet addicting gameplay mechanics. Best played with 4 players, if you ever happen to come across this game in an arcade, pop in a quarter and experience arcade gaming at it's finest.

63.) Wario Land 4 (GBA) - The Wario Land series has always been a great franchise for the Game Boy, mainly because of the simple yet incredibly fun design of the levels. Like all the previous games in the series, you play as Wario, and your main objective is to go through each level, finding all of of the hidden treasures and goodies that await you, and then getting to the end of the level. It's not that simple, however, as the end of the level is located at the beggining of it. You see, you go through the level, and when your done collecting everything, you find the level's detinator, which, once set off, ignites a fuse that gives you only ample time to get out of the level, and if you don't reach the portal in the alloted time, you lose a life, as well as all of your treasure. It is this unique gameplay design that put's Wario Land 4 up there with the very best of GBA platformers. With classic level design, and revamped graphics that put the GBA hardware to good use, this game is a must-buy for any serious GBA owner.

62.) Pokemon Sapphire/Ruby (GBA) - With another Game Boy, it's no surprise that Nintendo started production on a new Pokemon title. Using all of the same classic RPG elements that made Red and Blue so good, Ruby and Sapphire introduced over 130+ new pokemon to collect and train to become a Pokemon Master. Ruby and Sapphire also hold the award for having the coolest Pokemon design in Groudon, the Ground Pokemon who appears on the cover of the Ruby box. With new gameplay features including a cool new berry system for your Pokemon, Ruby and Sapphire are must-have RPG's for any GBA owner. Period.

61.) Pokemon Blue/Red (Game Boy) - The game(s) that started it all are also the best. Pokemon was already a big success over in Japan around 1996, and in 1998 they decided to bring the popular RPG franchise to America, and it became an instant classic with gamers everywhere. Playing as a young boy, you set off on a journey to become a Pokemon Master. To do this, your going to have to collect and train Pokemon from all over the world, and establish a team that is good enough to make it to the Pokemon League, where you fight to become a Pokemon Master. Using addicting, yet simple RPG gameplay mechanics, Red and Blue were classics that will be remembered forever.

60.) Super Mario Kart (SNES) - The SNES was stacked with excellent first generation games, and this was one of them. Using an idea never used before, Nintendo made what is known today as one of the most fun racers out there. It was so simple: Pick one of eight characters from the Mario franchise, race around on different circuits, using weapons such as banana peels and turtle shells to get yourself in front of everybody and over the finish line. The game's multi-player was fantastic, offering the ability to either do a Grand Prix (same as the one player mode), One on One, or Battle Mode, which consisted of you and someone else in a bordered arena, trying to destroy the other player's balloons before your's are destroyed. It all worked very well, and it's still one of the most well known franchises around, not because of the Mario franchise, but because of the incredibly simple, yet incredibly fun gameplay.

59.) Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (SNES) - The Donkey Kong Country series was one of the most well known platformers for the SNES, and part 3 ended the series with a bang. Using the same great platforming action that made the first two so great, the third one offered an even deeper story mode, focusing more on collecting items more than any other game in the series. The focus on item collection was great, and expanded the game's length greatly. And, like all DKC games, it forced you to get everything in order to see the REAL ending, which wasn't gonna be easy.

58.) Marvel VS. Capcom 2 (Arcade, Dreamcast) - 2D fighting has never been as strategic as it is in Marvel VS. Capcom 2. Using over 50 characters from both the Marvel and Capcom world, matches consisted of you picking a special team of 3 characters. You had so many options to choose from when selecting your team. Should you pick a team of nothing but Huge, Strong Marvel characters, or should I pick a well-balanced fighting team who focuses on combo's? The possibilities were endless, and it is this key fighting formula that ranks MVC 2 up there with the very best of fighting games out on the market.

57.) Soul Calibur (Dreamcast) - Even today, not one 3D fighting game hold's a candle to Namco's Soul Calibur. The gameplay was simple enough for anyone to pick up and play, while also being extremely deep in the hands of a skilled fighter. The game was simply a blast to play, and look at as well. Yes, Soul Calibur is still an extremely good looking game, even in today's world, and it sounds even better. The music perfectly fits the fighting enviroments, as well as the easy-to-navigate menus. Don't have a friend to play 2-player with? Well then go through the games extremely deep 1-Player Mode, allowing you to earn money to collect pieces of art, movies, and many other items. Soul Calibur is the pinnacle of 3D fighting games, and still is, and probably always will be the best.

56.) Contra: Shattered Soldier (PS2) - In a generation where old-school challenges were almost non-existent, Konami gave hardcore gamers what they really wanted: A new Contra game for the hardcore gamers. Konami really outdid themselves when bringing this classic franchise to the PS2, and it shows greatly. Not only were the graphics outstanding, but they also kept the classic 2D gameplay. As for the sound, fans of the series were treated to an outstanding soundtrack of heavy metal riffs that suited the game's dark theme perfectly. As always, the series was always known for its simple, yet incredibly difficult gameplay, and this entry into the series shows us why. With bigger bosses, a better story, and same great Contra gameplay, this one ranks up there as one of the best.

55.) Ikaruga (Dreamcast, Gamecube) - A classic 2D shooter if there ever was one, Ikaruga took the old-school gameplay mechanics of past 2D shooters such as Gradius and R-Type, and added a twist that is sure to satisfy any hardcore gamer. Using a unique polarity system, Ikaruga is the most strategic 2D shooter around, and it still manages to maintain that simple yet addictive formula that makes old-school shooters so great. Don't let the word "simple" make you think this game is a pushover, this game is as hard as 2D shooters get, and will take multiple tries to actually become good enough to beat it.

54.) Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES, GBA) - A remake of a Japanese game known as Doki Dooki Panic, Super Mario Bros. 2 is perhaps the oddest entry into the series. Instead of being soley based on platforming action, SMB 2 also involved a lot exploration-type gameplay. With multiple characters to choose from, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, you had to decide what character was going to be best for what level, and it worked perfectly. With yet another great soundtrack, fitting graphics, and some very clever gameplay elements, Super Mario Bros. 2 is yet another Mario classic.

53.) Mario Tennis (N64) - After Mario Golf, Nintendo decided to go for another sports-based Mario game. Enter Mario Tennis, which exploded onto the 64 with some of the most fun tennis action, ever. The controls were very simple, and only used two buttons to hit the ball different ways. Mario Tennis also offered us a great single-player tournament mode, which got harder as you progressed to each new trophy. Multi-player mode is where the game excelled, and because of that it is up there as one of the most fun multi-player games, ever.

52.) F-Zero X (N64) - The N64 had just came out, and everyone was expecting a new entry into the F-Zero series because of it. Well, two years later, after constant delays, F-Zero X hit the N64 in a big way. It not only was faster, but it had even better level designs than the first. And because of the N64's graphical capabilities, you could now race with over 30 racers on the screen at once, each racer having his own strengths and weaknesses. Like any good racing game, the single-player mode got progressively harder with each new circuit. Multi-player was good, as always, and all of these key gameplay elements make this entry the best in the series.

51.) Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!! (NES) - A remake of the arcade classic Punch-Out!!!, MTPO is still one of the best boxing games ever made. With great character designs ranging from Soda Popinski to Mr. Sandman, MTPO was a joy to play every time. It also took real skill to beat the game's end boss, Mike Tyson. Because of Tyson's problems with the law, however, Nintendo decided to stop making this version of the game, and ended up remaking it with a new end boss, Mr. Dream, who was identical to Tyson in every way. An Nintendo classic if there ever was one, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!! will always be remembered by gamers everywhere.

50.) Mega Man X5 (PS1) - The X series once again hits a high note with the 5th entry. The storyline get's a lot deeper in X5, as we now learn that Dr. Wily is one of the primary suspect's in the creation of the Sigma Virus. Gameplay is still the same, with some minor tweaks. X now has the ability to duck, which adds some more strategy to the way you play. You also are on a time limit to beat all 8 Maverick bosses. This is due to the game's story line, which involves a Space Colony being set on a crash course into planet Earth. The colony is due to hit Earth in 16 hours, which means you only have 16 attempts to destroy all 8 bosses. Yes, it is very different from the previous X games, but it just makes the game more challenging, which is better. With great graphics, an excellent soundtrack, an even deeper story, and the same great Mega Man gameplay, X5 is yet another classic.

49.) Mario Party 2 (N64) - The second entry into the Mario Party series is also the best. Why is Mario Party 2 better than any of the other games in the series, you ask? Simple, Mario Party 2 improved on the original Mario Party in so many ways that it made you never want to go back to part one again. The inclusion of an item shop on the board was the biggest plus. Using your coins, you could buy a variety of items that could change the direction of the match in a matter of seconds, leading to a more hectic match. Of course, Mario Party 2 is best enjoyed with 4 people, and if you can do that, then your in for one of the most fun multi-player experiences the N64 has to offer.

48.) EarthBound (SNES) - One of the most unknown Nintendo series, EarthBound came to the SNES in it's dying days, and because of this, it wasn't a very well known game at all. The people who did come upon EarthBound, however, found it to be one of the best games the RPG's the SNES had to offer. The story goes like this: After a meteorite crash lands near his house, a young boy named Ness investigates it. When he arrives, a strange bee-like creature named Buzz Buzz alerts Ness that he has come from 10 years into the future, and that it is up to Ness to destroy the alien known as Gigyas, who is responsible for the destruction of the Earth and it's people. With great graphics, an excellent soundtrack, and great story, EarthBound will always be known as the SNES's biggest sleeper hit.

47.) Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - Donkey Kong Country was a hit even before it hit the market. The hype around Rare's new platformer was too much to handle, and it exploded onto the SNES with massive sales. Sales don't make the game, however, as DKC was one of the SNES best platformers to date. Graphically, the game was ahead of it's time, as it used some of the most advanced technology to create a game that looked nothing short of breathtaking. The soundtrack was also something to take note of, as it pushed the SNES's sound capabilities to it's limits, with excellent music that fit every stage perfectly. There is a GBA remake on the way, so be sure to check it out.

46.) Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast, Gamecube) - The Dreamcast had been announced, and Sega needed to deliver with a full-3D Sonic title for launch. Sonic Adventure delivered, and proved to many people that the Dreamcast was going to be something big. Graphically, the game was one of the fastest titles ever seen before, taking full advantage of the DC's extremely powerful hardware. Sonic Adventure also played very differently from other Sonic Titles. You played through the game with 6 different characters, each with their own alternate storyline that somehow all fit together into the main storyline. Instead of going from one level to the next, player's had a huge RPG-like overworld to explore. It all was very different, but it was very fitting at the same time. The 6 different chracters all played differently in terms of gameplay. For example, Sonic's levels were all about speed and getting through the level as fast as you could, where Knuckle's levels were all about exploration and finding missing shards of the Master Emerald. Sound-wise, Sonic Team gave us another great soundtrack, and it all fitted the game perfectly. With great variety in gameplay, wonderful graphics, and an excellent soundtrack, the only thing keeping this game from being any better is the somewhat dissapointing camera.

45.) Yu-Gi-Oh! The Eternal Duelist's Soul (GBA) - In terms of strategy games, there is no better game than the Yu-Gi-Oh! Trading Card Game. Perfectly re-created onto the GBA, Yu-Gi-Oh!: EDS may just be better than the real thing. First off, you have the computer to do everything for you, which is a huge relief since keeping track of everything in the real-life game can get hard sometime. Like all trading card games, EDS requires you to build your deck up to the point of perfection, and to do this your going to have to go through the ranks of over 25 duelist, each with their own tricks and different styles, and earn rare cards and booster packs to help improve your deck. Gameplay-wise, the trading card game is one of the best on the market, and EDS perfectly re-creates it on the Game Boy Advance. If you are a fan of strategy games, or any trading card based-games, Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Eternal Duelist's Soul is a must buy.

44.) Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS1, Dreamcast, GBA) - When it comes to great 2D fighting games, people always think of the Street Fighter Series. SFA 3 is not only the best game in the series, but also the best 2D fighting game. Period. Using the classic Street Fighter formula, SFA 3 is a blast to play. Simple enough for anyone to pick up and play, yet extremely advanced for the hardcore fighting purist. Graphically, the game is a joy to look at, with great animations and colors that really show off the different characters and levels perfectly. Sound-wise, Capcom has given us another great soundtrack to listen to while fighting in each stage, with music that perfectly fits each stage respectively. For 2D fighting games, you can't really get any better than SFA 3.

43.) Sonic & Knuckles (Genesis) - S&K may be the fourth entry into the series, but it is also one of the best. S&K not only brought us the classic level design fans have come to love, but it also gave us more reasons to play through it again. For the first time in Sonic history, fans actually got a true ending for finding all of the Chaos Emeralds. Graphically, the game was fantastic, showing us that the Genesis could still keep up with the SNES in all respects. The in-game music was excellent, as usual, fitting each level perfectly (how about that Flying Battery Zone music?). S&K also gave us a reason to go back to the previous Sonic titles in the series, allowing gamers to connect Sonic 2 and 3 to the S&K cartridge, allowing us to play through each game with Knuckles, which gave gamers an completely new experience for each game. S&K showed gamers that some game series just improve with age, and it shows.

42.) Goldeneye 007 (N64) - When it comes to First Person Shooters, Goldeneye ranks up there with all of the greats. Not only did it give us a great liscence, but the way the one-player missions followed the movie so perfectly showed gamers everywhere that Goldeneye was a little more than your average First Person Shooter. Graphically, Rare showed us why the 64 was more powerful than the PS1, and Goldeneye blew anything the PS1 had at the time. Sound-wise, Rare gave gamers a true Bond soundtrack, filled with music that perfectly fit the Bond style. Also, each gun in the game was recorded so that each one had their own realistic sounds. The AK-47 (KF7 Soviet in the game) sounded like a real AK-47, while the Walther PPK (PP7 in the game) sounded just like the real deal. All of this this gave the game a real, authentic James Bond feel to it. Multi-Player was a blast, giving gamers a variety of different gameplay modes, and also letting gamers play as people from the one-player mode, each character having their own unique traits. This game gamers a truly fun multi-player experience, and is one of the best on the 64. Goldeneye was a true classic, and is still known as one of the greatest FPS's ever made.

41.) Castlevania (NES) - The first in the long line of Castlevania games showed us why old-school games are truly great. The concept was so simple: You are Simon Belmont, a member in a bloodline of people known as the Vampire Killers. You must go through the ancient castle known as Castlevania, destroying all of the minions of Dracula, the sole purpose of Castlevania's existence. Your only weapon is a whip, appropriately named the Vampire Killer, which you must use to destroy Dracula and all of his evil minions. The game was simple, yet incredibly difficult, and is the first in a long line of excellent action games.

40.) Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES) - The best of the Donkey Kong Country series, DKC 2 improved on the original in almost every way possible. Graphically, Rare had made another beautiful game, improving on the original's animation and textures greatly. Gameplay was still the same, but this time Rare made a big focus on collecting items in order to get the game's true ending, which was a great thing for those who got everything in the original, but recieved no extra credit for it. Sound-wise, Rare gave us another excellent soundtrack that fitted the game's enviroments perfectly. The game also took a step up in the difficulty, giving gamers an even bigger challenge than the first. With great level designs, a bigger focus on exploration, and a revamped difficulty level, DKC 2 is another SNES classic.

39.) Super Mario Bros. (NES) - There is only one word that can describe Super Mario Bros: Revolutionary. Not only did this game change the way we looked at platformers, but it also changed the way we would look at videogames forever. You played the role of Mario, an italian plumber who has come across a land known as the Mushroom Kingdom. You soon find out that the King's daughter, Princess Toadstool, has been kidnapped by the King of the Koopa Clan, Bowser. The story is simple enough, but the gameplay is where Super Mario Bros. shines. You go through 8 Worlds, each with 4 stages in them. You go from left to right, jumping on enemies, finding secrets, and making well-placed jumps until you reach the end. Different items help to aid you on your quest, ranging from the fireball-shooting Fire Flower to the growth-enhancing Super Mushroom. Everything about the game is so simple and fun, and that is what makes Super Mario Bros. rank up there as one of the best platformers ever made. Period.

38.) Mega Man X2 (SNES) - Mega Man X2 proved to gamer's everywhere that the series was going somewhere big. Improving on a lot of the original's gameplay mechanics, X2 focused on a lot of exploration, which made the game a lot more deep than the first one. The Story: 6 Months after the defeat of Sigma and most of the Mavericks, X, the leader of the Maverick Hunters, has tracked the last batch of Mavericks down to an old abandoned factory. After destroying the factory, we learn that X has not completely destroyed the Mavericks, as there is now a new revolt against the Maverick Hunters, one to protect the remaining Mavericks from being eliminated. X needs to ensure the safety of the world by destroying the remaining Mavericks, as well as the the leaders of the revolt. Graphically, the game is far superior to the original, pushing the SNES's graphical capabilies beyond it's limits. The game's in-game music is also top-notch, giving us yet another great techno-style soundtrack that fits the games many enviroments perfectly. Gameplay-wise, the game is the same as the first, but now focuses a lot on exploration. X now has to find the 3 main body part's of his partner, Zero, who sacrificed himself in order to save X's life in the first game. The game's ending is different depending on how much you collect, which gives gamers a reason to find everything. With an even better story, classic gameplay mechanics, and improved graphics and sound, X2 ranks up there with the best SNES games out there.

37.) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) - Possibly the greatest selling game of all time, Super Mario Bros. 3 didn't just sell because of it's name alone. SMB 3 added so much to the Mario formula that is was a perfect platformer in almost every way. Using the same story from the first game, Bowser is back, and has kidnapped Princess Toadstool once again, but this time he has his Koopa Kid's to do his dirty work for him. Gameplay-wise, it was the same classic platforming action that made the first two games so great, but this time it's been improved drastically. First off, the game now used interactive maps for each of the differently themed worlds, ranging from a sunny beach locale to a world of complete ice. You moved Mario around these maps, choosing which level you would like to go into next. You could even skip half of the levels in a single world, but that would just mean you won't find any secrets or power-ups to help aid you in your quest. Speaking of special power-ups, this game is chock-full of them, ranging from the revolutionary Racoon Leaf (gave Mario the ability to actually fly), to the ever-so-popular Frog Suit. The good thing about all of these items was that you could save them in your inventory. This gave gamers the oppurtunity to always enter a level prepared, but it was the smart ones who knew to save these items for the game's very last world. Graphically, SMB 3 was a vast improvement over the first two, and it really shows. Each level fits the world it is in perfecly, and the colors are very fitting and bright. The soundtrack is classic Mario style, with tunes that are very memorable and are still used in Mario games today. With oodles of secrets to find, an even better design, and better graphics, Super Mario Bros. 3 ranks up there as one of the best platformers of all time.

36.) Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II (Gamecube) - Quite possibly the best Gamecube launch title, SWRL:RS 2 also takes the cake for being the best Star Wars game. Period. Like the original on the N64, you go through a series of missions all based around the storyline of the movies. It is never too hard to understand the mission objectives, with task ranging from sneaking into a secret Imperial base to hijack one of their ships, to the well-known task such as shooting a Proton Torpedo into the Death Star's reactor. Dog fighting is never a chore, and is always fun, especially when you have plenty of enemies to dispose of. What would a Star Wars game be without good graphics and sound quality? Rogue Leader really proved how powerful the Gamecube is, and showed to be one of the best-looking games of 2001, maybe the best. The ship's were detailed to the point of perfection, and the game's enviroments looked identical to those found in the movies. The sound department is where the game really shines, giving us some of the best sound quality ever heard in a videogame. All of the series most famous pieces of music are in the game, and are played at the most fitting times. The ship's also have their own unique gun fire, and you can instantly recognize if it's a TIE fighter shooting at you just by the sound the ship's guns make. Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2 is the best Star Wars gaming experience ever, and is a must play for anyone who owns a Gamecube.

35.) Sonic Advance 2 (GBA) - The sequel to the first Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2 improved on the original in so many ways that you won't help but look at the original in shame. The most noticeable difference is the game's extremely high difficulty. This is without a doubt the hardest Sonic game ever made, and only the most avid Sonic fans will prevail over the games extremely difficult level designs and bosses. The game, however, is a real blast to play. Level designs have always been known for being excellent in Sonic games, and Sonic Advance 2 shows this perfectly. Graphically, the game is miles ahead of Sonic Advance 1, as well as every other 2D Sonic game to ever come out, showing off great character animations, as well as bright, detailed colors to show off the game's extremely pretty levels. Sound-wise, Sonic Team once again gives us another great soundtrack, with music that fits each level perfectly. With multiple characters to choose from, a secret ending, a revamped difficulty, and even better level designs then ever before, Sonic Advance 2 will keep you playing for a long time.

34.) Syphon Filter (PS1) - Syphon Filter came out in 99' around the same time as Metal Gear Solid, and didn't get the attention it really deserved. You are Gabe Logan, a goverment agent who is on a mission to bring down a terrorist group planning to threaten the world with a deadly virus known as Syphon Filter. Your mission is to find the person responsible for this terrorist act, and bring him down. Syphon Filter's levels range from all sorts of different types of gameplay, including some where you must be as quite as a mouse to levels where you must use your weapons to get through it all. Graphically, the game was really nice, and it showed in the game's cut scenes, which were always pleasant to watch. The levels were all detailed, using such graphical effects such as snow and rain in some levels, which looked very pretty. Sound-wise, the game was excellent, making us feel as if we really were a part of counter-terrorist agency. With great level designs, good graphics, and a wodnerful story that spawned two sequels, Syphon Filter is a Playstation classic, and is also the best in the series.

33.) Castlevania 3 (NES) - Castlevania 3 proved to people how hard a game really could get, and also showed how the first part of a series isn't always the best. Going back to the original Castlevania's gameplay, Konami ditched the RPG-style gameplay of part 2 and made what is considered by some as the best action game for the NES. You played as Trevor Belmont, who is part of the same family line as the infamous Simon Belmont. Dracula has been resurrected, and it is your mission to destroy him, as well as Castlevania. Gameplay-wise, you use the whip from the previous games once again, as well as the sub-weapons such as the Holy Cross and Axe. Level design was once again excellent, but this time you are able to take different path's in between levels, leading to other levels. This game gamer's a sense of freedom, as they were now able to choose what path they wanted to take, making for a very unique gaming experience. The game's graphics were very much improved over the first two, and is one of the best looking NES games ever made. With a revamped difficulty, excellent graphics, and a great level design, Castlevania 3 ranks up there as one of the best action games out there.

32.) Mega Man 2 (NES) - When it comes to the best NES game, Mega Man 2 takes the trophy. The Mega Man games were always an excellent franchise, but none ever reached the quality of the second entry. The story is the same as the first: Dr. Wily has made another batch of Robot Masters to aid him in his quest to rule the world, and you, as Mega Man, must put a stop to him. This time around there is 8 Robot Masters to defeat, rather than the previous 6 in the original, ranging from such names as Wood Man to Flash Man, and all of them were excellent in design. Level design was much improved over the original, making for an even harder challenge than the original. Graphically, the game is much improved over the original, with much better level back grounds, as well as even bigger enemies to be on-screen. Where the game really shines is in the soundtrack, which would put the game in the Top 100 just for being as good as it is. There is not one bad piece of music in the game, and you will be humming the themes days after you have played the game. With even better level design than the original, a soundtrack that ranks among the very best in video game history, and improved graphics, Mega Man 2 ranks up there as the best NES game out there.

31.) Perfect Dark (N64) - After repeated delays, Perfect Dark finally hit the N64 in 2000 as one of the biggest games of the year. Improving on Goldeneye 007 on just about every level, Perfect Dark ranks up there as one of the best shooters ever made. The story is a very complex one, so I will sum it up in as little words as possible: You are Joanna Dark (AKA Perfect Dark), the highest ranking member ever to graduate from the Carrington Institute. Your mission is to put a stop to a deal (between a deadly race of aliens and an unaware industry known as DataDyne) that may very well be responsible for the destruction of Earth and all of it's people. Gameplay-wise, the game shined in every mode of play. The single-player mode was very much improved over that of Goldeneye's already excellent missions, giving gamer's more gadgets and weapons at your disposal. Multi-player is where the game really shines, letting gamers go at it once again in 4-player death matches, as well as a variety of other classic match types. This time, however, you can now customize just about everything there is in a match to fit your needs, from choosing your own custom weapon assortment to the way the match plays, this gave gamers a sense of freedom. Also, if you did not have any people to play with, you could play against the game's BOT's, computer-controlled characters who could give you a good run for your money if you are not careful with them. You also could control the BOTS's difficulty levels, ranging from an extremely easy BOT to an insanely smart BOT that could kill you in one shot if your not paying attention. To add even more to the Multi-player, two people were also allowed to simultaneously go through the game's Single-player missions. Graphically, the game is some of the best stuff the N64 has to offer, with much more detailed character animations and level's than Goldeneye before it. The only downfall to the graphics is that the frame rate takes a hit when the game is being played with 4 players. Sound-wise, you would never have guessed this was an N64 game. Using CD-quality music and sounds and voice acting that ranks among the very best in video game history, Rare pushed the N64 over the limits with sound quality that rivaled that of the Playstation. With an excellent story, enough features to keep the game lasting forever, and the best sound quality on the N64 to date, Perfect Dark is a must-buy for any one who owns an N64, and is a perfect reason to go get a used system, just so you can play the game.

30.) Puyo Puyo/ Kirby's Avalanche/ Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (SNES, Genesis) - Out of all the puzzle designs ever made, nothing beats Puyo Puyo's heavily combo-based game design. The objective is simple: Match up four (or more) of the same different colored blobs any way you like. Trust me, it is a lot deeper than it really sounds. You see, when you match up these colors, they dissapear, and whatever was on top of them drops down. This is what leads to the games insane combo system. You must strategically set up blobs so that they will all connect with each other in a single move, drastically increasing your score. Moves like this can instantly crush your opponent, even if he is in a commanding lead. This formula is not only addictive and simple, but extremely deep to those who can pull the combos off. Multi-player is a blast, and never gets boring. It is this simple, yet deep formula that makes Puyo Puyo the greatest puzzle game ever made. If your going to get one version, go for Mean Bean Machine or Kirby's Avalanche, as they look a whole lot better. There is also Puyo Pop for the GBA, so pick that one up if you see it.

29.) Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
28.) Kirby Superstar (SNES)
27.) WWF No Mercy (N64)
26.) Super Monkey Ball 2 (Gamecube)
25.) Jak And Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS2)
24.) Mario Kart Super Circuit (GBA)
23.) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
22.) Mega Man X (SNES)
21.) Super Punch-Out!!! (SNES)
20.) Contra 3: The Alien Wars (SNES)
19.) Super Mario Sunshine (Gamecube)
18.) Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance (GBA)
17.) Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
16.) Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)
15.) The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Gamecube)
14.) Metroid Prime (Gamecube)
13.) Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
12.) Banjo-Tooie (N64)
11.) Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
10.) Super Mario World (SNES, GBA)
9.) Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
8.) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
7.) Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)
6.) The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past w/ The Four Swords (SNES, GBA)
5.) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
4.) Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
3.) Super Mario 64 (N64)
2.) Super Metroid (SNES)
1.) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64, Gamecube)

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2451
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 2-5-2018 at 04:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
no order

Street Fighter 2
Gears of war 2
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Starcraft
Blaster Master
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Rampart
No Mercy

Honorable mention to Sonic the Hedgehog for blowing my mind enough to beg for a Genesis.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12128
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 2-5-2018 at 06:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No order, loose top 10-15, cheating by putting some in groups

Legend of Zelda - A Link To The Past/Ocarina/original
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Super Metroid
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario World/Super Mario III/Super Mario Galaxy
Ms. Pac-Man
Street Fighter II (particularly Turbo, Super Turbo, and Alpha 3)
Tetris
Chrono Trigger
Mike Tyson's Punch Out

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8213
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 2-5-2018 at 07:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon

Psssst. A little secret. There are other videogame systems than Nintendo. No, really. There are.

Don't Mess With Texas

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2346
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 2-5-2018 at 08:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great idea Goon!

The hardest part is picking one game from a series, but I'll do my best.

1. Rock Band 3 - Almost certainly the game series I've spent the most time playing. I go with three because I imported the songs from 1, 2, Lego, ACDC, Green Day, and way too much DLC.

2. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - The series I most wish would get a new volume of any on the list. I just love getting to be a Jedi.

3. WCW/NWO Revenge - Technically No Mercy was the best of the games, but I'm giving special credit to the first one I ever played.

4. Dragon Age: Origins - I loved the concept of your choices making significant differences in the game. While many of the differences are surface level, there was enough that created significant plot differences to be really fun. My then roommate and I were playing concurrently and it was loads of fun watching the difference unfold. It was very fun to create a bit of a persona based on the origins of my character and let that guide my decision making.

5. Elder Scrolls - Oblivion - Rounding out my three favorite RPG series is the Elder Scrolls series. Tough to choose a favorite, but the easier travel system gives this the edge over Morrowwind and while the Thieves and Dark Brotherhood story lines are fun in both Oblivion and Skyrim, I like the Mages story much better in Oblivion.

6. Goldeneye/Halo - Can't do a proper top ten list without cheating! I have equally found memories of both of these games and the nature of the memories is essentially the same just my age changes.

7. WWE War Zone - The first wrestling game I played with create-a-wrestler. To this day I still occasionally will make a modern version of some of my really lame characters I made in this game. Including the three characters inspired by the Will Smith Wild Wild West theme song: Jim West, Desperado, and Rough Rider. I was not a creative child. This game certainly doesn't hold up, but it was great in it's time.

8. Legend of Zelda - Link to the Past - It's probably sacrilegious to say considering how much this board loves Nintendo, but this is the only Zelda game I've put in significant time playing. I love the game, though admittedly I usually stop Once I've unlocked the mirror/dark world.

9. Horizon Zero Dawn - Might be a bit early to put this so high, but 60-70 hours in I'm still haven't a great time. I love me some robo-dino hunting.

10. Donkey Kong Country 3 - One of the go to games I'll return to and play a bunch of every few years.

OO's only mammal penguin

CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1949
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 2-6-2018 at 01:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
quote:

Psssst. A little secret. There are other videogame systems than Nintendo. No, really. There are.

Yet, only 3 of the games on the list are actually Nintendo games.

There are other games on Nintendo consoles besides Nintendo games. Just a secret!

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6784
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-6-2018 at 08:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

What are these other systems you speak of? There are no other systems. THERE IS ONLY NINTENDO.

But yeah, as Cam pointed out, only three games in my top ten list are actually made by Nintendo (even if they are all from Nintendo consoles). And even though I am a lifelong Nintendo fanboy, I have thoroughly enjoyed other stuff over the years like God of War, BioShock, Dead Space, Metal Gear Solid, etc. So it's not ALL Nintendo, all the time with me...just like, you know, 95% of the time.

And I've enjoyed readying everyone else's lists thus far. Glad to see Super Castlevania IV get some love, that game is awesome and I still go back and play it every couple of years.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3895
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2018 at 02:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My top 10... probably in no particular order:

1) The WWE games... the yearly full roster offerings they do, some years it's good, some years it's meh... but the amount of time I've sunk into them and the fact that I've bought everyone going back to the first Smackdown on the Playstation.

2) The EA NHL games... same as above.

Now, getting into some single titles....

3)Arkham City... Arkham Asylum was such a revelation as a Batman game that I was a bit torn between the two, but City just really opened up everything and still had a great story, so I gave it the nod.

4)Witcher 3... I'm still doing my first play through, but it has definitely lived up to the hype that surrounded it... you can literally lose weeks worth of time in this game while only just making a dent.

5)Let's go with Mario 3 as it was such a landmark in terms of Nintendo being on top of it's game at the time and it was really the must play game of youth... there are probably better Mario games, but this was the one was maybe the biggest in terms of anticipation.... Fun story, I actually got to play this in an arcade game format at the London Western Fare BEFORE it came out on the Nintendo... that's right, I Fred Savaged that bitch.

6)I'm split between Twilight Princess, Windwaker, and Breath of the Wild... I think if I had to nail down one I'd say WIndwaker... like Mario 3 maybe not the best, but maybe the first that I came back to as an adult and just thought God damn I'm having fun and love the shit out of this game.

7) I'm hard pressed to narrow down any particular MegaMan game as they are all virtually the same minus the different bosses... so let's say II for arguments sake.

8) Metal Gear Solid... the one for the PS... loved that game.

9) Sonic the Hedgehog... lots of memories of playing this with my kid sister as kids... this was certainly more fun taking turns playing than beating the shit out of one another in Mortal Kombat, although Kombat may have been a bit more therapeutic.

10) I'll throw Castlevania II down for my last spot... just the story and imagination behind it rocked my young mind at the time.

Honourable mentions: GI Joe for Nintendo(getting to pick your own team rocked), TMNT Arcade... first arcade game I ever beat, Rampage... soooo many quarters lost in this game, Rive City Ransom was a lot of fun, Strider for Nintendo, and to go really old school Pit Fall II for the Atari.

ETA: I'll throw some love towards Resident Evil 4 as well... probably the first one I beat, and then went back and played multiple times.

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by Flash]

CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1949
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 2-7-2018 at 03:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice list, but I really gotta call you out and say “dude, at least pick a series and a game that defined that series for you”, because a lot of WWE games aren’t as good as others.

Definitely give us a pick on that one, man!

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8213
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 2-7-2018 at 03:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In no particular order:

WWF Royal Rumble (1993, SNES): Toss-up between this and the 1994 sequel WWF RAW. Picked this one because Savage was on the roster.

Tecmo Super Bowl (1991, SNES): holy shit I put hours into this one. It was always about going undefeated in the season through playoffs = success

Borderlands (2009, XBOX 360): In retrospect I probably like Borderlands 2 better, but the novelty was 100% with this one and as such it would be my #1 game of all time ever. EVER.

Battlefront 2 (2005, XBOX): the best of the franchise, event today.

Bioshock 2 (2010, XBOX 360): this over 1. Better storyline. Best add-on DLC in Minerva's Den.

Bioshock Infinite (2013, XBOX 360): debated only putting one from the franchise on here, but this one was too good and they rocked it with the DLC as well.

Batman: Arkham City (2011, XBOX 360): Exactly what Flash said above re: this over Asylum

EDIT 1 - going waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay old school:
Adventure (1980, Atari 2600): Yep. You're a square and you're fighting ducks, er, dragons. Get that chalice and bring it home. Noooo - fuck you, bat - bring it back! Sure there were only 3-5 'versions' of the game i.e. where everything was and once you had that figured out it made for some pretty quick work. But it was fun and little me loved it.

I may edit some more in later. These were the no-brainers.

[Edited on 2-7-2018 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3895
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2018 at 08:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
Nice list, but I really gotta call you out and say “dude, at least pick a series and a game that defined that series for you”, because a lot of WWE games aren’t as good as others.

Definitely give us a pick on that one, man!

Yeah I guess that was kind of vague; what I had meant was the kind of core lineage of games... (The THQ, then 2K ones...not just all WWE games... I don't include stuff like Legends they did years ago, or other non-core games) like they started with Smackdown, then went to SDvsRaw, then 2K__ .... I don't know if I could really narrow it down to one particular year as generally they've improved upon them year by year.... or at least expanded the roster and the CAW suite, so any short comings were somewhat offset... and also, they all just kind of blur.

If I've really got to pin it down to one year I'd say maybe the second year (Know your role I think)... I have some recollections of a WWE arcade game... kind of side view only; you could have Bret fight a purple gloved Taker... other wrestlers in it too as being the first big holy crap those are actual wrestlers in the ring... but the Smackdown series was the first time that I think (or that I can remember) them going beyond punch, kick, bodyslam, legdrop and you could actually WRESTLE... and it looked good... great even for the time. Know your role just improved on the first, although I vaguely recall really slow load screens, but an awesome game.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1284
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 2-9-2018 at 03:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All right, let's do this. In no particular order:

1) Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III U.S.): The game that taught me to appreciate RPGs, particular Square's. Officially, the rest of the list is in no order, but this one is No. 1 all-time for me, and a huge influence on the way I've enjoyed the games I've played since.

2) Final Fantasy VII: Yeah, I'm not limiting myself to one per franchise. Square really pulled a rabbit out of its hat with VI, and although I still prefer that one, VII was a revelation in so many ways.

3) Mega Man 2: I probably rented this game enough times as a kid to pay for it 10 times over. Still the best use of the Mega Man formula, I think, and with some awesome music to boot -- awesome enough to get stuck in my head for a decade between the last time I played it as a kid and when I got the Mega Man collection for PS2.

4) Metal Gear Solid: I can easily enjoy a game in which the cinematics outweight the gameplay, so I'm the perfect audience for the Metal Gear Solid series. Even years later, I still don't skip the cutscenes when I play any of them, but the original (well, not really the original, but the original since the leap forward in technology) still holds up the best, even if aiming is still a huge pain.

5) Super Punch-Out!!: Yeah, the NES and Wii versions are fun, and they're way more challenging, but this one is my favorite by far. It was the first and, really, only time I've ever been able to appreciate taking a time attack/speedrun approach to a game. I had a friendly competition on this game with a friend of mine in college, which ended abruptly one day when I got hammered, destroyed all his records in one fell swoop and passed out.

6) Streets of Rage 2: An outstanding beat-em-up, possibly the best of all time. You can play through by button-mashing, but the gameplay has so many layers that you can still find new things years later. Incidentally, if anyone here enjoyed Streets of Rage but hasn't played Streets of Rage Remake, find a way to do that, it's amazing.

7) Chrono Trigger: Kudos to Square for making another RPG for the SNES that was so distinguishable from its Final Fantasy games, but still so enjoyable in its own way. And bully for them for doing a yeoman's job of avoiding paradoxes and logical inconsistencies in a game whose plot hinges on time travel.

8) X-Men: This would be the arcade game from Konami, as fine a piece of quarter-munching madness as ever there was. I can still get through almost the entire game on one quarter with Nightcrawler. And it was the easiest game to find in the arcade through echolocation, whether via the "Eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-X-men" music from the second stage or Colossus' "GROOOOOOARRRGH" for his mutant power.

9) Goldeneye 007: It was the early age of shooters, but I'll put Goldeneye up against any Call of Duty variant. Playing through the hardest difficulty on single-player and trying to get all the cheats provided hours of entertainment before you ever got to multiplayer. As long as nobody decides to be a bitch and pick Oddjob.

10) Super Street Fighter II: I always preferred this one to its predecessors. I think it's a combination of the remixed music and the addition of Cammy, who was my favorite character to play as (though I've come to appreciate Zangief a lot more over the years). It's a great temporary distraction, which is great because the more involved games take me forever to finish nowadays. I just completed a playthrough of Final Fantasy IX that I started in fall 2016, so yeah, I can appreciate shorter games.

Honorable mention to Mortal Kombat II, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Super Mario Bros. 3, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time, King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow and WWE SmackDown!: Here Comes the Pain.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6784
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-9-2018 at 06:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
WWF Royal Rumble (1993, SNES): Toss-up between this and the 1994 sequel WWF RAW. Picked this one because Savage was on the roster.

My brother the gooker and I had so much fun with this game on the SNES back in the day.

Also, you do realize there are other systems besides the Super Nintendo and Xbox right?

quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
and with some awesome music to boot -- awesome enough to get stuck in my head for a decade between the last time I played it as a kid and when I got the Mega Man collection for PS2.

I love the Mega Man 2 soundtrack and I think the music from Bubble Man's stage might legit be my favorite video game tune ever.

quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
5) Super Punch-Out!!

I got totally sucked into this game all over again after buying a SNES Classic a few months ago. I mean, I've played through it at least twice in my life and have it readily available to play on my Wii (which I still use to play old school games on), yet I couldn't put it down for a couple of weeks.

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3895
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-9-2018 at 11:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I would love to see some of the old school arcade games re-released via X-box downloads (or whatever system) like Final Fight, or that Avengers Arcade game (I think you could only be like 4 avengers... cap, hawkeye, Iron Man, and I want to say Vision?) I also remember a Spider-man arcade game that just blew me away as a kid (again, it featured 4 characters... I want to say Spidey, Namor for some reason, Black Cat, and maybe Hawkeye again?).... Would love to play these again.

I grabbed that Ducktales remastered they did a couple of years ago and it was a gorgeous trip down memory lane... I was really itching for rescue rangers to get the same treatment; which while it didn't get the suped up treatment that Ducktales did I was still happy to pay for that bundle of Disney games they did last year... Maybe not as great as I remembered, but still a nice time machine to my childhood. It's funny what holds up, and what doesn't... I remember loving Strider as a kid, and a couple of years ago they did another one very much in the style of the NES one and while funish for a bit, just didn't hold up to my memories.

Credit to Nintendo they generally make all of their in house games available for download so you can always go back the originals.... or something I should have added to my list: Mario Maker... fantastic concept.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12128
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 2-10-2018 at 12:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I actually go back and forth between if I liked Super Punch Out more than Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Super is the better game, but I I generally say I prefer Mike Tyson's because that was middle school and would share that experience with my school friends (and I want to say I was the first of my friends to beat Mike Tyson), vs Super was when I was in college and just played it solo with no one watching me.

Metal Gear Solid is pretty.... solid... too. Love that game.

I'm glad to see you guys mention some PC games. None of them make my top 10, but I have a lot of fondness for a lot of them back in the day and god knows I spent a shit load of time on them. Space Quest series, Quest For Glory 2, Civilization 1 and 2, Wasteland, The Bard's Tale, and the AD&D Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance RPGs were all high on my list of favorites.

I notice my top 10 is almost exclusively NES and SNES (although Ms. Pac-Man and SFII are really arcade games to me), I didn't list any modern games. The Uncharted series and The Last of Us are definitely top top 5 of my favorite games of the modern era, and probably deserve to be in my top 10.

Also, if we're talking best Street Fighter game - Mine is either Super Street Fighter II Turbo or Street Fighter Alpha 3.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6784
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 2-10-2018 at 03:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
I would love to see some of the old school arcade games re-released via X-box downloads (or whatever system) like Final Fight, or that Avengers Arcade game (I think you could only be like 4 avengers... cap, hawkeye, Iron Man, and I want to say Vision?) I also remember a Spider-man arcade game that just blew me away as a kid (again, it featured 4 characters... I want to say Spidey, Namor for some reason, Black Cat, and maybe Hawkeye again?).... Would love to play these again.

I know that Final Fight is available to purchase on the PSN (and it comes paired with another old school Capcom game, Magic Sword) for like ten bucks. You should also check out Capcom Arcade Cabinet, which has like 10-15 old school arcade games. I bought it when it was on sale during one of those flash sales that they do and it was easily worth the money.

As for those Marvel games you mentioned, I think licensing issues may have something to with the lack of their availability. For instance, I know that the old X-Men arcade game was available for a time on the PSN, but now isn't on there anymore (and the same thing happened with Marvel vs Capcom 2).

quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
I actually go back and forth between if I liked Super Punch Out more than Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Super is the better game, but I I generally say I prefer Mike Tyson's because that was middle school and would share that experience with my school friends (and I want to say I was the first of my friends to beat Mike Tyson), vs Super was when I was in college and just played it solo with no one watching me.

That's kind of how I feel. Like, Super probably is the better game overall, but there's just something about the original Punch-Out that I love. And I always found the gameplay of Super Punch-Out kind of interesting, because it's slower paced and can take a little getting used to at first if you're more used to the gameplay of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. But they're both fantastic games either way.

quote:
I notice my top 10 is almost exclusively NES and SNES (although Ms. Pac-Man and SFII are really arcade games to me), I didn't list any modern games. The Uncharted series and The Last of Us are definitely top top 5 of my favorite games of the modern era, and probably deserve to be in my top 10.

I went back and looked at my own list after reading this and mine's kind of a mixed bag:

Banjo-Kazooie: 1998
Resident Evil 4: 2005
Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!: 1987
Final Fantasy III: 1994
Final Fantasy II: 1991
Chrono Trigger: 1995
Super Mario Galaxy: 2007
Breath of the Wild: 2017
Street Fighter II: 1991
Madden 13: 2012

So two games from the 2010's, two from the 2000's, five from the 1990's, and one from the 1980's. But besides Breath of the Wild, nothing from the last five years made my list.

Also, I can't believe Mario Galaxy is already over ten years.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1284
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 2-10-2018 at 04:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
I love the Mega Man 2 soundtrack and I think the music from Bubble Man's stage might legit be my favorite video game tune ever.

I'd put it in my top 10 for soundtracks, easy. Along with Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Ninja Gaiden and a couple of PS1 games that were more soundtrack than game (Rogue Trip, Battle Arena Toshinden, etc.). That'd be a thread in itself.

quote:
Originally posted by Flash

Man, mid-1990s arcade beat-em-ups are some of my favorite gaming experiences in the world. I wasn't that big a fan of Spider-Man, but I loved Captain America and the Avengers (you're spot on with the characters for both, by the way). But yeah, you've got those, X-Men, Turtles in Time, the original TMNT, The Simpsons, Final Fight, Captain Commando, Crime Fighters, Advanced D&D: Tower of Doom, Golden Axe, maybe Sunset Riders if you want to count it. I probably still have some on my copy of MAME from one or two computers ago, but I don't mind not having instant access to them, because it makes playing them in barcades all the more enjoyable. Though that only works if one has reasonable access to barcades; I'm fortunate enough to be in an area that's lousy with them.

quote:
I'm glad to see you guys mention some PC games. None of them make my top 10, but I have a lot of fondness for a lot of them back in the day and god knows I spent a shit load of time on them. Space Quest series, Quest For Glory 2, Civilization 1 and 2, Wasteland, The Bard's Tale, and the AD&D Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance RPGs were all high on my list of favorites.

Yeah, I eventually got to a point where my PC wasn't powerful enough to handle modern-day games, but man, I enjoyed the hell out of some of the older ones. The King's Quest series is a favorite, but there's also The 7th Guest and the old Lord of the Rings game from the early 1990s. Plus those early shooters, like Doom and Quake, that we'd find ways to play in computer class when we were supposed to be learning.

quote:

Yeah, mine's pretty lean on new stuff, too. The oldest one on there is Metal Gear Solid, which is from 1998. I compared it to a top-100 list I made in 2004 and the only difference in the top 10 is that I had Twisted Metal 2 instead of Super Street Fighter II (and honestly, if I'd remembered, I might have swapped out the latter for Super Metroid). It's been a hell of a long time since I played a new game; I believe the last was Dragon's Crown, and I only got about 20 minutes into it before getting bored. The last one I played that I'd count among my favorites is Max Payne 3, which Wikipedia tells me was 2012.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top