The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Xbox One - External Storage?
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2483
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 1-15-2018 at 06:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Xbox One - External Storage?

Owners of the Xbox One with an external HDD for extra storage, please chime in.

What are your thoughts on storing data on the console itself, and also on the external drive? Is it seamless? Or is it a pain to have a 500gb console that's basically maxed out, and then have the rest of your games loaded onto an external drive?

Just curious how easy it is to manage (ideally there would be nothing at all to do.) And also wondering if external drive speed is an issue? That is, will I be kicking myself if I opt for a cheap 5400rpm drive? Will a 7200rpm unit load as fast as the console itself? Would a SSD be blazing fast for loading up a game? I wonder about this stuff because gone are the days of a game being 5-10gb. Gears of War 4 alone is like 100GB. That's nuts.

So basically should I get a 500gb console and tack on an external HDD when eventually needed? Or just pony up the extra cash and get a 2TB console to avoid any headaches down the road?

Newegg has a used (with returns allowed) 2TB model for $264, that is very very tempting.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIACJW57H3555

And I will not be the guy that simply deletes, then re-installs 50-100GB games over and over on a 500gb unit because he's too cheap to get more storage, so that's not an option.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7070
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-15-2018 at 10:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
To give you an idea of where I'm at, I have upwards of 15 full sized, mainstream titles installed (not to mention fully downloaded season pass packs for half of them), and upwards of 70 games I've downloaded ranging from Telltale games to X-Box Live/indy games that aren't quite full size installs to two MMORPG's that constantly download large 10+ GB paches. As it stands right now, with 93 games installed between a 1TB HDD built in and my 5TB External, I'm at 29.9% of total space used. By my math, that's around 1.8TB.

I think that 2TB model is a good starting point. You'll notice a nice load time decrease getting an external for a One S, and even though you won't need it right away, External HDD's are the type of item that not only naturally decrease in price, but they go on sale all the time.

[Edited on 1-15-2018 by nOOb]

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2483
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

posted on 1-15-2018 at 10:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is running an external seamless? That's my main concern.

I just recall there being some rather nasty issues when it came to DLC for Gears of War back in the day, and I was worrying that said issues might be even worse if one was splitting a game up between the default console drive, and an external drive. That is, will it be tedious to have say a game installed on the main drive, and the DLC installed on an external?

Last thing I want is to kick myself for trying to save some cash by getting a 500gb console, an external, and then not like how the two drives interact. Money is of little concern compared to headaches with data.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8062
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 1-16-2018 at 12:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pretty seamless to me. It was literally... plug in external hard drive and done. I haven't had any sort of issue whatsoever with saves, DLC, etc.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2483
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

posted on 1-16-2018 at 12:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Awesome to hear. Finally making the jump into 2016 this weekend!

Gears of War 4 deluxe is already in the mail. Cuphead will bought as soon as I get the system online. Then Alien Isolation. $66 for three badass games. So geeked.

Me in about 5 days...

[Edited on 1-15-2018 by BBMN]

"Put the chicken wings down n come to Jihad bro."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top