The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Music
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8842
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-10-2018 at 06:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Music

Is the music thread dead?

Don't Mess With Texas

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2727
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 1-10-2018 at 04:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For me music itself is mostly dead. The majority of the bands I listened to in my teens and early twenties never quite made it and aren't around any more or at least have slowed down the release of new music recently. That also means I see fewer concerts which was one of the ways I discovered new bands. Rock is mostly dead on the radio and in popular culture. I'm down to 2 or 3 new albums a year from bands I truly care about.

My albums of 2017 that I cared about were Science Fiction by Brand New and Parking Lot Symphony by Trombone Shorty. Not a long list and also not likely one people here heard.

Well this made me depressed.

OO's only mammal penguin

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8842
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-10-2018 at 05:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
People need to stop dying.

Scott Weiland: had recently come out with a new 'solo' band/project (Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts) and was on tour with it when he passed. He had also done vocals on Art of Anarchy's debut album.

Chris Cornell: He was a year-ish off his most recent solo project and on tour again with Soundgarden. He had a solo track - The Promise - from the movie of same name that was released just prior to his death.

I don't think I bought anything in 2017 that wasn't from an older or well-established musician or group.

EDIT: this thread was created in response to something posted in the 'about the bOOards' subform. That issue looks to be fixed. Nothing to see here. Move along.

[Edited on 1-10-2018 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-11-2018 at 12:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I didn't buy very many albums in 2017 either. They were all either from established bands of which I already listened to and owned much of their catalog up to that point, or a brand new local band that I heard for the first time that night. Nothing new that Rolling Stone or Pitchfork told me I had to check out.

Don't forget Tom Petty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-14-2018 at 01:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I can't even think of the last current or new band I got into. Hell, one of the albums that I discovered this year and got really into (by a band called Art By Numbers) was released in 2012 and the band isn't even together anymore.

And I was about to say that the only new albums I bought in 2017 were by Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold, but holy shit, those both came out in 2016. So I don't know if bought a single new release last year.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3235
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Can't Even

posted on 1-14-2018 at 05:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I noticed a "Strange Thing" this year (no, that's not a tie in to the TV show, it's just in my head, it's a thing odd enough to deserve capital letters): Commercials have, for me, replaced the radio as the place where I hear 'new' music.

Like, because my radio exposure is CBC or NPR/ESPN Radio/Classical/Internet Streams Of Niche Genres, I don't get much of the Taylor Swift/Imagine Dragons/Bruno Mars/Whoever Is Popular Or Promising/Etc in my life, unless I hear something in a commercial. 99% of that is annoying, and soon ends up in the "I hope I never hear that again", but there are a few songs that I've liked enough to actually find out more about the artists responsible (Fitz & The Tantrums, Sofi Tukker, Big Boi, etc). Music is -definitely- in a transitory phase, as the umbrella of "Top 40 Radio" evolves into something less like an umbrella.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7728
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 1-14-2018 at 06:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I bought 5 albums in 2017...John Mayer, Iron & Wine, Foo Fighters, Lights, and U2. I have 5+ albums from all of those artist. Most of my streaming was from acts I’ve purchased something from before, with the exception of two albums:

Starboy by the Weeknd. Mostly wanted to hear the songs produced by / featuring Daft Punk. This is also a 2016 release.

West Coast Town by Chris Shiflett...who is the lead guitarist for Foo Fighters.

2017 wasn’t a good year for pop. Taylor Swift’s new release was over produced and tried to hard to be edgy. Skipped a lot of songs 1/2 way through. Bruno Mars sampled the 80s and had success, but I couldn’t get into his new stuff. Normally dig one or two songs from his albums.

Bodak Yellow is a great example of top 40 being not for me. No idea what makes that song special or different from the rest.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top