The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MAGA
denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3053
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 1-26-2019 at 11:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Conservative media are losing their collective minds, with Coulter leading the revolt, calling Trump the biggest wimp of a president we’ve ever had. Hannity is still standing by him, but there are breaks in the ranks. If the hardliners abandon him, then he’s finished.

But, another thing to consider is that the reactionaries are basically mad at Trump for not being an even bigger asshole, begging the question of what Balrog will actually be representing the GOP in 2020 if not him.

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1582
Registered 12-6-2005
Location Long Island, New York

Mood: Relaxed

posted on 1-27-2019 at 08:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm seeing some of the effects of th backlash first-hand. Small example, but on my commute to work, I pass by a house that for over the past 2 years or so has had a flag that said "TRUMP: No More Bullshit", along with an American flag, a USMC flag, and a "Don't Tread on Me" flag. In times of bad weather and during the winter, they'd usually take away the other flags, but the Trump flag was still left there, probably since it was made of a sturdier-looking fiber.

Every time I see the headlines, no matter how bad things would seem, that flag was always there, and I'd wonder" What would be this person's breaking point?" Even during the shutdown, it was still there. Si imagine my surprise when I drive by yesterday, and lo and behold, that flag was nowhere to be seen.

Paddlefoot was absolutely right, the best way to beat him is to stand firm and show that you have a spine, since many in his base are now viewing him as a weakling instead of the tough alpha male that he's portrayed himself as. Those kinds of people are his bread and butter, and if he's losing them, he's in deep shit.

The WWE: Where no one wins, unless you like Cena, in which case you are a sad little fanboy who will never get laid, but we are happy to take your money away-Moosehead Jack

"She is an estrogen molotov cocktail. It'd be in your best interest not to piss her off."- My thoughts on Firewoman

"Kurt Angle is like a living vortex of the surreal. On the off chance he's not doing, saying or thinking crazy things, people connected to him act crazy by association, caught in the gravitational pull of his insanity."- Ringout from FAN Forums

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3943
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 2-15-2019 at 01:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So we are getting a National Emergency, over the border wall. Which begs the question, When a Democrat becomes President (it will happen eventually, right?) what is the first National Emergency they declare? After the first mass shooting and gun control, or Climate Change and switching to green policy?

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1597
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 2-15-2019 at 02:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
So we are getting a National Emergency, over the border wall. Which begs the question, When a Democrat becomes President (it will happen eventually, right?) what is the first National Emergency they declare? After the first mass shooting and gun control, or Climate Change and switching to green policy?

It'll be climate change. I don't think Democratic leadership really wants to declare a national emergency over gun control. That's why Nancy Pelosi used gun control as an example: use the one that really scares conservatives as a boogeyman, leave the one they might actually want unspoken.

'Course, this all presupposes a Democratic president getting into the position to declare a national emergency before Congress passes laws making it harder. If the Democrats take over the Senate in 2020, I think there's a good chance that putting constraints on the presidency is a high priority after four years of Trump, even if Trump loses re-election.

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1937
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 2-15-2019 at 02:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don’t expect this emergency declaration will survive the massive amounts of legal challenges that will come its way (though it’ll likely come down to a Supreme Court decision so who knows), but if it does, precedent set motherfucker.

Climate change
Healthcare
Infrastructure
Student loan debt
And yes, guns and mass shootings.

All of these things constitute higher degrees of “emergency” than illegal border crossings, and the next democratic president should make it clear to congress that these are issues that need to be dealt with in short order, and if there’s no cooperation make the declarations.

I understand (and honestly can agree with) the notion that executive power needs to be reigned in some, but I also fully realize that the other side of the aisle has no principles at all (you really think that if a SCOTUS seat comes open during 2020 that Mitch won’t rush to fill it as quickly as possible before the election? Hell he’d do it after the election in the lame duck session if a democrat wins), the ends justify the means for them and any restraints put on presidential powers will immediately be removed or ignored once they’re in power again.

There’s an argument to be made that there needs to be a massive overhaul of how our government operates that can’t be fucked with by whoever happens to be in power at the moment, but beyond a whole new constitutional convention (and holy FUCK what an colossal shitshow that would be in this day and age) I don’t know what that would entail.

[Edited on 2-15-2019 by Cherokee Jack]

I'm Cherokee Jack!

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1582
Registered 12-6-2005
Location Long Island, New York

Mood: Relaxed

posted on 2-16-2019 at 01:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Also, a very interesting twist to this. Devin Nunes, one of Trump's biggest supporters, supported the bill, but Alexandra Ocasio Cortez, who is one of his biggest critics, voted against it.

The WWE: Where no one wins, unless you like Cena, in which case you are a sad little fanboy who will never get laid, but we are happy to take your money away-Moosehead Jack

"She is an estrogen molotov cocktail. It'd be in your best interest not to piss her off."- My thoughts on Firewoman

"Kurt Angle is like a living vortex of the surreal. On the off chance he's not doing, saying or thinking crazy things, people connected to him act crazy by association, caught in the gravitational pull of his insanity."- Ringout from FAN Forums

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5001
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 2-19-2019 at 02:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We are going down a very slippery slope here when a president can declare a "national emergency" and bypass congress to address pet projects.

Republican dictator. Democratic dictator. They are still all dictators.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3053
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 2-22-2019 at 06:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Perhaps, but if given the choice, I'd take a benevolent dictator over our current Commodus.
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10543
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 2-22-2019 at 09:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Septimius Severus was a very good emperor and reversed the worst of rot that happened under the likes of Commodus and Caracalla. The problem with good autocrats though is that they eventually die and are replaced with much lesser personalities. Then again the exact same thing happens in democracies too, so it's not like there's much difference between the two systems when it gets down to basics. It's doubtful, for example, that the US will ever see another Lincoln or FDR arrive on the scene to set things right.

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3053
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 2-23-2019 at 12:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
See, this is something I think about a lot. It's hard for us to imagine that the country could ever be worse than it is right now, but history says it's true. I personally would rather be living right now than during the Civil War or its aftermath, when things were unequivocally worse. I'd rather be living now than during the Great Depression. I'll say this, though - in MY lifetime, I've never seen a time with more division and less hope than now. I'd argue that it all started with 9/11, but that's just me. I think all of the shit we're seeing right now - corruption, greed over compassion, division, white people acting like a bunch of vicious hypocrites - has always been a part of our country even in the good times. It's just it's more in our face now and we can't look away from it. While that gets fucking depressing, I'm glad that our "evil liberal media" is holding up a mirror to our own nastiness. The truth hurts, and eventually enough of it will hopefully anger people enough to demand real change.

Will we see another FDR or Lincoln? I think people with the ideas to get us out of this mess are out there. There are tens of millions of people in our country right now with better ideas and temperament than our own president. I don't think Lincoln or FDR will come from our current crop of politicians, though, on either side. Which makes young voters with new ideas and energy so important.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10543
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 2-23-2019 at 12:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I actually find myself envious of the World War Two generation. Not for having to go to war and kill or die or any of that other horrible shit that goes along with war. More because, despite all of that, they still had hope, real hope. They knew that once Hitler had been disposed of that things would get genuinely better. I don't see that anymore, at least not in my life, not with creatures like Trump rising to the very top of the entire world. I actually think now that the best things are now in the past and that it's a long painful fall happening now that's going to end in some kind of ultimate catastrophe, one that's going to be as bad as the final days of the Romans. Steven Pinker and the other professional optimists can go on all they want about how things are materially better now, or even medically better. I just don't see it, because in terms of morale or living in a society that actually had some kind of ethics, things are just an unstoppable runaway train of total disaster.

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 981
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 2-23-2019 at 06:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I think 9/11 made Americans mostly scared of their own shadow because it made the shocking and incredibly rare seem possible. In conjunction with fear mongering media on the right (Fox News), there has been the creation a whole wing of chickenshit tough guys that somehow get scared of MS-13 shooting up their redneck Kentucky town.

The 24 hour news cycle and the obsessiveness that some people approach political news really hurts. We'd be much better off if we all got our news from 30 minute national broadcasts once a day and newspapers in my opinion, because it would keep people from ramping themselves up to an irrational frenzy.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10543
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 2-23-2019 at 07:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I love the internet but I won't deny that it's made things that much worse, even more than TV did back when the claim was that it was turning everyone into retards. The internet is just perfect for psychos and kooks to gather and spread their poison, the way the Alex Jones types do, and then monetize the insanity for their own benefit. It's a weapon in the way that TV never was and at this stage there's no hope in hell of any way to stop the proliferation of dangerous and outright lethal bullshit that it's become the primary vehicle for.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 981
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 2-24-2019 at 11:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yep, on the plus side I can communicate with people throughout the world and follow the small things in life that I love (like watching games of a local D3 team that wouldn't get a mention in the paper outside of one line with the score). On the negative side, you have people that get into self-reinforcing circles of wild speculation. I tell you: watch now, the Catholic Church is about to come off the rails because of these nuts as I read at a Catholic conspiracy website (these are the true Catholics, ya know) how some actress in Argentina died of an overdose and they are inferring that she was offed by the Pope because she knew about a pedophile ring.

Now, how you solve this, I don't know. People clearly are much more stupid than I ever realized and I only wished that I was an evil man who could take advantage of this stupidity to make myself rich.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11518
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 2-28-2019 at 05:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Any input on the Cohen testimony? Lot of information came out. Does it actually matter this time? Is this finally the beginning of the end for the Trump presidency?

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

The Finale: 3-D vs. Doomsday Device

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2341
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 2-28-2019 at 06:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
too little, too late. No one gives a fuck. Trump successfully numbed the masses to his idiocy.

We got him til 2024.

Hail Pessimism.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3943
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 2-28-2019 at 06:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He didn't tell us anything that we all already knew... He did have a couple of things to support what he said, but again, we already knew Trump was a liar and con-man.

What was interesting is what he did not say... apparently there are current investigations outside of Mueller, that are taking a close look at Trump and his family. Now it is widely accepted that a sitting President can not be indicted on the Federal level, however it is a bit murkier at the State level...

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11518
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 2-28-2019 at 07:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

The Finale: 3-D vs. Doomsday Device

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5001
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 2-28-2019 at 07:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike

What was interesting is what he did not say... apparently there are current investigations outside of Mueller, that are taking a close look at Trump and his family. Now it is widely accepted that a sitting President can not be indicted on the Federal level, however it is a bit murkier at the State level...

Not murky at all. In fact, it's pretty common knowledge that New York State is investigating Trump and his associates. State charges are impervious to presidential pardons.

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5001
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 7-12-2019 at 03:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

My, how time's change.

-- The Rick

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2341
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-2-2019 at 04:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just came in to say “Fuck Donald Trump..”

If you voted for him, I’m not saying you yourself are a racist. I’m not saying you hate gays, lesbians, or Trans people. I’m not saying you’re anything.

I’m just saying “..and fuck you, too”, and whatever misguided reason you voted for the mother fucker.

<<  6    7    8    9  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top