The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MAGA
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: Radiant Abyss

posted on 9-29-2018 at 12:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'd say that today all this nonsense with Kavanaugh is the most disgusting thing the GOP's done since all the lying that led to the invasion of Iraq. Unfortunately given how far down into the murk they've driven the bar of basic decency it's entirely probable that they'll manage to do something even more reprehensible before too long. As the Willem Dafoe character said in Mississippi Burning, "what is wrong with these people?".

FOIT! FOIT! FOIT! FOOKIN' CHERLETTE! - Florida Jan-Man

I show the world a face not made by God - Frank Castle

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3026
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Stugotz

posted on 9-29-2018 at 03:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's kinda like PT Barnum said:

"You can fool half the people half the time, and when the other half don't give a fuck, that's how you get elected."

.... wait. I'm not sure who said that. Or if it's even a quote.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4289
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-29-2018 at 05:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not that we're not pretty much there already, but what scares me is the collateral damage done by weaponizing accusations.

Look at the Kavanaugh deal; One side is unanimously believing Ford, the other absolutely believes that she's some kind Democrat plant to undermine Kavanaugh... Now every woman because of the circus surrounding this, and other recent public accusations is now going to be that much more afraid to come forward... We're going backwards.

Watching the Republicans before Ford and Kavanaugh's testimony's was ridiculous... "I don't find her credible, this is a smear campaign... blah blah blah... But I'll keep an open mind." You can't denigrate her testimony before hearing it and still be claiming to have an open mind.... You also shouldn't confirm someone but throw the "hey, we'll have the FBI investigate him for one week under a very limited scope" after the fact either. Imagine being a woman who was raped waiting to speak out and this is the circus she has to watch; the outright disbelief coming from many of her elected officials; her country's leadership.

I don't know what the right answer is to find the balance between making it safe for women (anyone) to come forward and speak out about rape and sexual assault while preserving the important right of being held innocent until proven guilty.

This though... our current climate where lines in the sand are drawn long before details or evidence are ever presented is not the answer.

For what it's worth; watching Kavanaugh in there he pretty much made a liar of himself at his earlier examinations when he said judges should be above politics... His testimony alone should disqualify him from sitting on the supreme court bench.

When your leader, himself a multiple time accused sexual assaulter, and his party are standing so vehemently behind guys like Moore and Kavanaugh (among others) because they are better than something the Democrats might come up with I fear America might be doomed... Those are some pretty deep battle lines.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-29-2018 at 09:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kavanaugh also explicitly believes that a president is equivalent to a king and is therefore immune to any prosecution for any crimes he commits either before or during his time in office. At it's mildest, if such a word can even be used in this situation, that puts an official SCOTUS stamp of approval on any and all white collar crime than a president has or will commit. At it's very worst, and this is where it will teeter on the brink of an apocalypse, it's an open court endorsement of the fuhrerprinzip in that Dear Leader will be above and beyond all written law, even to the point of negating the very basics of the American constitution in terms of restrictions on a president.

Kavanaugh, with this opinion, could actually be the most dangerous candidate every nominated for a high-bench position, especially in light of the knowledge that the already-sitting rat bastards on the court like Roberts, Alito, Thomas, and now Gorsuch are nothing but a pack of corporatist right-wing hacks who have already annihilated in their decisions most of the legal progress that was made since the Depression in containing white-collar crime as well as in setting basic legal protections & rights for minorities and women back by at least a generation. Even if Trump goes down in the next two years his legacy on the court appointments has all but enshrined elitist plutocratic crime as a protected activity.

[Edited on 9/29/2018 by Paddlefoot]

CVD39
Fella

Posts 472
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 9-29-2018 at 11:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
I'd say that today all this nonsense with Kavanaugh is the most disgusting thing the GOP's done since all the lying that led to the invasion of Iraq. Unfortunately given how far down into the murk they've driven the bar of basic decency it's entirely probable that they'll manage to do something even more reprehensible before too long. As the Willem Dafoe character said in Mississippi Burning, "what is wrong with these people?".

When I see these pricks give that white power three finger hand sign, I can’t help but recall Hackman in Mississippi Burning explaining the klans three finger hand sign outside their belt.

Willem Dafoe is cool. Gene Hackman is the coolest ever.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-30-2018 at 02:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I like the part where the ones most likely to tell a female who's been raped by some rich frat-boy or football hero to "get over it" are also the ones most likely to be 100% convinced that Islamic sharia law is coming soon to their little corner of Mainstreet USA. That these kinds of "conservatives" also keep missing the point that they have far more in common with some fundamentalist Muslim psycho who'd honour-kill his own daughters if they got raped by Islam's own version of the good ol' boys than any squishy liberal on the entire planet ever could remains one of the most baffling eye-openers of all time.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-6-2018 at 10:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kavanaugh won. So, what comes first? Lifelong immunity for the king, err, the president? Gutting of what's left of the unions? Annihilation of a woman's right to choose? Or will they put their big boy pants on to get 'er done and wipe out everything they can all at once?

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2008
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-6-2018 at 11:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Kavanaugh won. So, what comes first? Lifelong immunity for the king, err, the president? Gutting of what's left of the unions? Annihilation of a woman's right to choose? Or will they put their big boy pants on to get 'er done and wipe out everything they can all at once?

Oh, it's always been about abortion. I saw numerous right wingers admit they pretty much didn't give a shit if Kavanaugh was guilty or not because he would vote to overturn Roe and that was the only thing they cared about.

That said, I've always wondered if the conservatives would ever balk at actually overturning it just because it is THE issue they fire up their base with and, without it, they might lose some of the right-wing fervor.

Oh, who am I kidding, they'll always hate black people.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-6-2018 at 11:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't have any association with the conspiracy cranks. I hate them all, whether they're from the left or the right. They're just fucking dipshits for the most part - ill-educated, ignorant, gullible as fuck, or afflicted by certain mental defects that are impossible to cure and which make them utterly despicable, to the point where I really can't have even the slightest contact with any of them. That's how much they piss me off, with the way they exploded out onto the scene after 9/11.

That being said, and I am sure not the fuck Godwin-ing myself here either as I've never done the Hitler/Third Reich associations ever except as a joke, this Kavanaugh win is probably the most dangerous thing that ever happened in Trump's favour yet, and it's dangerous to the point that the very existence of the American republic is threatened in a way that wasn't ever seen by the threat of any previous foreign enemy or even seen in the build-up to the Civil War. Kavanaugh has already said, in his prior writings, that the privileges of a president should effectively include life-long immunity from any revealed crimes committed both in the past and as POTUS. If or, more accurately, when the rest of the SCOTUS "conservatives" go along with this and effectively shatter the restraints the Constitution places over the elected elite by giving them the full legal immunity previously enjoyed only by despots and monarchs, what is there to prevent the Trump regime from doing literally ANYTHING it wants to do? If SCOTUS wipes away those restraints there really will be nothing at all, not Congress (even assuming for a second that Dems are capable of getting the necessary majorities in both houses to take Trump out), and not the electorate, at least forty percent of whom want to see their culture-war enemies all burn and die.

So, what happens next? Well, they aren't going to sit back quietly and not use their new lever of power on SCOTUS exactly as they want to use it. I now fully expect that false-flag atrocity that will be pinned on Iran or China to happen (possibly very soon), followed by an all-American Enabling Act that will be fully endorsed both by a Republican Congress as well as by a perpetual right-wing extremist SCOTUS. I don't think that this is just a possibility anymore, it's now an inevitability, if not under Trump then under the next GOP POTUS who will probably be smart enough to have any of Trump's narcissistic liabilities but who still possesses the exact same agenda and goals.

At it's mildest the path for the first of the American Caesars has just been cleared of all obstacles, that the plutocratic neo-aristocracy the US has been moving towards since Reagan took all the brakes off the activities and antics of the financial sector merely becomes a reality effectively recognized by all instead of something that only culture and demographic wonks with the free time to pay attention to these thing talk about over the internet. At it's worst, given the sheer hatred one very well-armed side on the American polity has for the other, the very horrors from the 20th century have just been guaranteed to repeat themselves in the United States sometime in the short- to medium-future. The women and the gays and any of the other groups on the right-wing shit list are going to take it on the chin, and but good. That equality and justice and rights and freedom for all just got tossed out of a Trump Tower penthouse condo window. America, we hardly knew ye.

[Edited on 10/6/2018 by Paddlefoot]

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3833
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 10-8-2018 at 12:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

Look up the case of Gamble v US that is currently on the docket for the SCOTUS. Basically an Alabamian ex-felon was caught with a firearm, violating both state and federal law against ex-cons from possessing a gun. Both the State and the Feds charged him, he is arguing that violates double jeopardy.

IMO this is why they were hell bent on getting Kavanaugh on the court ASAP, Roe would just be the icing, but I don't think there are any abortion cases on the case list for this session of the court.

quote:
Why Would President Trump Be Interested in the Outcome of This Case?

The reason Gamble v. United States is generating buzz from people other than constitutional law scholars is that the separate sovereigns exception also prevents President Trump from pardoning people for state crimes. Under current Supreme Court precedent, a presidential pardon of an individual does not prevent that individual from being prosecuted for the same or similar crimes under state law.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4354
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Medium well

posted on 10-8-2018 at 04:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You should have stocked up on canned goods and learned out to shoot a gun, hippie.

#endtimes

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 9585
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 10-8-2018 at 04:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
But all the canned goods have been endorsed by ZOG!

CVD39
Fella

Posts 472
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 10-9-2018 at 09:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, we’re fucked. I’m really wishing I wasn’t a Bernie guy at all. Don’t get me wrong, I voted Hillary in the election and as soon as she won the primary I was with her, but man, Bernie kinda fucked us. He saw a way to snaggle past an unlikable candidate and then past any of the Republican garbage that was trotted out but got got Omar style by the DNC. Problem was, it just made more people hate Hillary and spawned some favor for Jill Stein and Gary Johnson. People would’ve actually had that fucking crook Jill Stein* or that fucking idiot Gary Johnson over Hillary.

Plenty of blame to go around for Trump winning and Bernie definitely deserves some of it (I’m wondering if he didn’t switch to a dem the day before he entered if we’d have President Hillary and a Supreme Court that wasn’t rotten). And if there was no Bernie there’d be no Bernie Bros. Those politically moronic Bernie Bros.

*My brother never votes in elections and after having a few conversations with him about how it was so important to not get Trump in the White House mainly for the environment and the goddamned Supreme Court, he realized how important voting against Trump was. He then voted for Jill fucking Stein because there was no way he’d “vote for Hillary”. Idiot.

I’m just venting before bed, nothing new to see here.

[Edited on 10-9-2018 by CVD39]

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3833
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 10-9-2018 at 05:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nikki Haley is resigning as UN ambassador at the end of the year.

My prediction:
In January/February Jeff Sessions resigns/fired
Lindsey Graham appointed new Attorney General
Nikki Haley is appointed to the Senate to finish Grahams term
She runs for re-election in 2020
Runs for President in 2024.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4289
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 10-9-2018 at 10:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey, I voted for the Green Party up here in Ontario for our last provincial election, so don't feel bad for wanting to believe in someone like Bernie... I'm not an overly environmental guy but their track record of running positive elections and looking for solutions to problems (all problems, not just environmental) that seemed to genuinely look ahead of the curve... to act instead of being caught in the perpetual problem of reacting to everything, or doing everything to just stay in power appealed to me.

Problem is I knew there was zero chance of them getting in.

That's the problem with our current first past the post systems of government- that you wind up with a party that represents less than half the population calling all the shots for the most part... A better representational system of government would fix so many problems- it would create more of a necessity for genuine co-operation, and also mean that just because you "win" the election doesn't mean you get carte blanche.

That's not what we get though... you wind up locked into this notion that you can't waste your vote so you vote for someone you really don't like simply because they are seen as the lesser of two bad choices and stand a better chance of beating the one you really don't want in... Then when one side loses they try and position themselves increasingly with other somewhat like minded parties to shore of their ideological base until you get the crap fest you guys have down there in the States where it's either one party or the other and every question is reduced to a yes or no... Once upon a time we had 3-4 parties up here that were relatively strong meaning no one party generally held all the cards (we use a Westminster style of politics up here in case you didn't know)... Now though I see even up here that we're moving towards that if you aren't with us you're fake news, or a staged agitator, or whatever...

I was talking to one of my doctors the other day and I said that really; I can pay attention to the news and government and feel angry all the time because there's really nothing I can do about anything... OR I can got back to having my head in the sand and all the crap would still go on but I'd feel complicit for not speaking out... Damned if you do, damned if you don't, and just pissed off any time you look at a news paper.

CVD39
Fella

Posts 472
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Online

Mood:

posted on 10-10-2018 at 12:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I’d love for there to be more than two options but, like I told my brother, now was not the time with this guy running and the effects a guy like him could do to the EPA and the SCOTUS. And look what he’s doing now to the EPA and the SCOTUS.
Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3026
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Stugotz

posted on 10-10-2018 at 03:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And psychologically speaking, there comes a point when "multiple options" actually cause people to just be lazy and stick with what they know. We, as a species writ-large, like having "a few choices that are mostly similar" so we don't feel bad if we pick the unpopular one. Whichever one you pick, it's mostly just like the other, and then we can whip ourselves into a frenzy about Coke vs Pepsi, or Liberal vs Conservative, or Anglicans vs Protestants, and so on. We highly the few differences and fight about those instead of trying to enjoy the commonalities and compromise about the rest.

The illusion of choice seems to be what we like; not actually having to make informed decisions about a number of potential choices.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4289
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 10-10-2018 at 03:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That's why I liked what we had going up here in Canada; you basically had the Liberals and the Conservatives go back and forth- yeah there were differences but generally speaking they were both fairly middle of the road; but then you had enough support for the NDP and every few years when Quebec gets a bit hot you get a handful of Bloc Quebecois seats in the legislature...

Now though; you've got a climate denier who once upon a time tried to use political machinations to block gay rights heading up a very well heeled Conservative machine unafraid of using stuff like the graphic details surrounding the murder of an 8 year old girl to try and score points on one side, and on the other you've got a well intentioned Trudeau who is at times too preoccupied with looking the part instead of making the tough decisions (although I will give him credit on the NAFTA stuff) surrounded by a base that see's one time voting strongholds eroding to populism... The NDP is a mess, the PQ seems all over the place... the lone hope is that Bernier's tea party like brand of conservatism might pull votes away from the Conservative Party.... although the Green party is picking up seats in different provincial elections so maybe there is hope for new ideas.

Bah; this all drives me nuts... and I blame you the horrible parts of America for voting Trump in; his brand of nonsense has given license to the worst voices in our society to speak out freely and has clouded the legitimacy of important independent elements like a free and impartial media thanks to his constant lying and accusations of "fake news"... This garbage is spreading globally

<<  4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top