The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nintendo Does It again- Super Mario Odyssey - 97 on Meta/98.8 on GameRankings
CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1779
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 10-27-2017 at 12:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nintendo Does It again- Super Mario Odyssey - 97 on Meta/98.8 on GameRankings

Has anyone pre-downloaded this on their Switches yet? It looks awesome!

GameXplain: 6/5

EDGE: 10
Like Breath of the Wild, Odyssey is a new entry in a long-running series that belies its age with sprightly invention, taking big risks with an established formula, and having all of them pay off handsomely. Mario might be getting on a bit, then, but a dinosaur? This astonishing adventure proves he's anything but.

Entertainment Reviews: 6/5
Hats off to Nintendo but itís done it again. As if the latest Legend of Zelda wasnít reason enough alone to own a Switch console, Super Mario Odyssey effortlessly confirms the theory that no one can conjure gaming magic like Nintendo can.

Press Start: 10/10
I don't know how Nintendo continues to do it, but they've managed to reinvent another classic franchise and push it further than imaginable. Super Mario Odyssey is the game that we've been waiting to play for more than 20 years. It feels like it borrows key elements from almost every Mario game that has come before it to create what is possibly not only the greatest Mario game, but one of the best 3D platformers of all time.

Game Informer: 9.8/10
Itís impossible to pinpoint a fault in Super Mario Odyssey, which both elegantly and eloquently surprises and calls back to its storied history. Itís a game full of surprises; one that plays with your expectations and supersedes them in almost every way. If you have a Switch (or are yet to get one), itís simply essential.

Nintendo Life: 100
Super Mario Odyssey represents a shift in direction for Mario. For about a decade we had exceptional but tightly structured 3D series entries, but this new arrival's building blocks go back to Super Mario 64. It's a very modern take on 'sandbox Mario', however - Cappy and his abilities are key additions that freshen up the formula, and we have a sizeable and diverse set of lands to explore. Odyssey will, inevitably, now enter the discussions about the 'best' Mario games. This writer won't be crowning it as number one just yet, but it is nevertheless worthy of the discussion. Particularly in the second half and post-credits it takes on a life of its own, showcasing incredible design and development flair. It's also a wonderful showcase for the Switch, and could introduce a whole new audience to the wonders of Mario in three dimensions. For the veterans among us, it's yet another special release to remind us of why Mario is still gaming's number one.

COGconnected: 100
Super Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece. It surprised me regularly, delighted me constantly, and smashed my expectations in ways Iíd never have predicted. The deftly woven combination of nostalgic themes, intuitive gameplay, and incredibly inventive design make this not only the best Mario game to date, but one of the most joyful and compelling games ever made.

TheSixthAxis: 100
Super Mario Odyssey is bursting at the seams with creativity, as Nintendo plays with new ideas while also paying homage to their long history. Cappy's abilities are a perfect compliment to Mario's own, and there's a wonderful silliness and humour to their adventure as they visit a string of contrasting kingdoms that just beg you to find the secrets hidden around every corner. Simply put, Super Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece.

IGN: 10 (Masterpiece)
Marioís games have been around for almost as long as game consoles have been a thing, but thankfully, heís always evolving. We rarely get the same Mario twice. Super Mario Odyssey delivers on that ongoing promise of originality and innovation: It distills the venerable seriesí joyful, irreverent world and characters and best-in-class platforming action, and introduces a steady stream of new and unexpected mechanics. Itís all spun together into a generational masterpiece.

Nintendo Insider: 10/10
There is no other series that can capture pure joy so readily, and, coupled with the fact that Nintendo has regained their confidence with Nintendo Switch, sees Super Mario Odyssey never hit a bum note. Packed with energy, charm, and every trick in the book thrown in, choosing to hop aboard the Odyssey will undoubtedly result in you having the chance to experience one of the Marioís greatest adventures. Itís a perfect reminder of the gaming magic that Nintendo is revered for, and something that they have miraculously been able to bottle twice within a single year.

GamesRadar: 100
Super Mario Odyssey successfully brings the series up to date and opens it up to a new audience, while still retaining every ounce of its nostalgia and retro charm.

GameSpot: 100
Mario's latest outing is big, bold, and bursting with new ideas, and like Breath of the Wild, is another instance of Nintendo going above and beyond to redefine our expectations. It's a shining example of refined creativity, and another crown jewel for Switch that is without equal.

Cubed3: 100
The wait is over; the pinnacle of 3D adventures has arrived in the form of Super Mario Odyssey. It beggars belief just how much Nintendo has packed into this latest outing, without compromising the core Mario goodness of the past. Just as with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Mario series has now reached a special new level of greatness that will be hard to surpass in the future. The Nintendo Switch is fast becoming the hottest platform, crammed full of sublime quality gaming experiences like this fantastic new escapade.

Meristation: 97
Sandbox Mario is back in a game that feels as joyous as limitless. Explore, experiment and dare to try new things with the brilliant capture mechanic and a stunning move set that makes Mario shine again.

Polygon: 95
For a character nearing 40 years old, itís amazing that Mario has remained not only a beloved character but one whose games are generally expected to be great. From that perspective, itís no surprise that Super Mario Odyssey is, yes, a great game. But more than that, itís a fantastic, even fundamental addition to Marioís legacy. From a plumber to a doctor to a tennis star to, uh, a Goomba, Mario has endured. No, this will not be the last Mario game, but it is almost certain to be lauded as one of his best.

Game Rant: 100
In almost every way, the game acts as a love letter to fans of the 3D iterations of the Super Mario franchise. From the spectacular Kingdoms and all of their hidden secrets to the minute nods to past ventures and friends, the entirety of this adventure is a joyride from beginning to end Ė with countless hours that can be invested into the title long after the narrative has been completed. The formulaic changes have helped modernized a genre that has long been dormant, which is an immense feat in and of itself.

Guardian: 100
New sidekick Cappy could have been just another annoying sidekick, but its inclusion only adds to the playfulness of Nintendo Switchís first Mario adventure.

FNintendo: 100
Super Mario Odyssey takes everything that made its predecessors masterpieces of gaming and blends them together into an unforgettable, new and unique experience that packs an absurd amount of content and which will keep players clinging on to it for many, many wonderful hours to come. An absolute monument of a game that gets everything right and which comes down to not only one of the greatest games of this generation but one of the greatest games of all time.

Gameblog.fr: 100
By jumping aboard the Odyssey, Mario takes us on a trip where await nothing but discoveries and wonders all along. By gathering elements from every game of the franchise, Nintendo expand the classic gameplay with Cappy's possession. Diverse, intelligent, colorful and incredibly long and surprising, the free exploration will satisfy both curious and hardcore gamers. Super Mario Odyssey sanctifies a 30-year-old series that still amazes us episode after episode.

NintendoWorldReport: 100
As someone who enjoys level-based Super Mario games more, I have to say that Odyssey blew me away. With the next Power Moon constantly within reach, the push forward is constant. Using Mario's expanded moveset, unique challenges are abound while trying to collect your next Power Moon. Even the lack of traditional power-ups doesnít hurt the experience at all, as the team of Mario and Cappy offers all sorts of wonderful new abilities. The journey of this odyssey took me to all sorts of amazing worlds that I already find myself missing. Now that I've seen every bit of it, I look back on my adventure with a great smile. It is an incredible experience that I felt extremely compelled to complete, simply because I didn't want it all to end. Only the best games pull that feeling out of me, and this one did just that. Super Mario Odyssey is my favorite game on Switch by a long shot.

Trusted Reviews: 100
It carried ginormous expectations, but somehow Nintendo has managed to leapfrog over the bar by a huge distance. Offering the most satisfying gameplay experience of any Mario game to date, Super Mario Odyssey is near-perfect.

Nintendo Enthusiast: 100
Super Mario Odyssey is the best game available on Nintendo Switch, and just might be my favorite game of the year. It isnít just a masterclass of level and sound design, itís a celebration of the Super Mario franchise, and one of helluva celebration to take part in.

Switch Player: 100
Not since Super Mario 64 has a Mario adventure had me this captivated, immersed or impressed. Super Mario Odyssey is Nintendo's finest Super Mario title yet, and easily the most impressive Nintendo Switch title available. With so much to see and do - long after you've dispatched Bowser - you'll be returning to the Odyssey for a long time. Essential for all Switch owners and worth buying a Switch for. It's that good.

Telegraph: 100
The pleasure of Super Mario Odyssey comes in the constant promise of something new. It is, in many ways, the greatest digital holiday you will ever take. An idea that Nintendo is very much aware of with the ever expanding wardrobe of travelling outfits, detailed maps for each Kingdom laid out like travel brochures and souvenirs that you can buy up with stage-specific coins. The variety, invention and sheer generosity on each trip is bewildering, an affirmation that Nintendo in this kind of exuberant form are absolutely peerless. A trip to savour. And not a second wasted.

Vooks: 100
Nintendo has managed, not once, but twice now in 2017 to take one of their beloved franchises, give it a breath of fresh air while still retaining the core of what made the series great in the first time. Super Mario Odyssey is a wonder and shows everyone why Mario is still king.

Metro GameCentral: 100
A joyful celebration - and evolution - of the Super Mario series, that encapsulates all the fun and creativity of video gaming at its very best.

Critical Hit: 100
Itís impossible to pinpoint a fault in Super Mario Odyssey, which both elegantly and eloquently surprises and calls back to its storied history. Itís a game full of surprises; one that plays with your expectations and supersedes them in almost every way. If you have a Switch (or are yet to get one), itís simply essential.

EGM: 100
A mix of the nostalgic, the fantastical, and the wonderfully bizarre, Mario's latest adventure provides more than a dozen tantalizing playgrounds to explore. With hundreds of collectibles, Kingdoms full of delightful details, and secrets waiting around every corner, Super Mario Odyssey is bound to keep players exploring long after the credits roll.

God is a Geek: 100
Platforming perfection, full stop.

Game Informer: 98
Quibbles aside, Super Mario Odyssey is an absolute delight, and another Switch release that will have Nintendo fans debating which 3D Mario game is the best of them all. I still hang my hat on Super Mario Galaxy as the pinnacle of the series, but Odyssey and its wealth of gameplay styles and moons make it a close second.

AusGamers: 98
Super Mario Odyssey isnít just the best platformer to come around in years, itís also one of the most essential releases of the year. Period. A showcase for Nintendoís development talent and Mario as an iconic character that can still deliver surprising and transformative experiences even after all these years. Itís a game that not for a second lags or starts to feel like more of the same. It rewards players in ways that we rarely get to see, and even when itís over it begins anew and invites you to keep exploring, keep discovering, and keep reaching for the moon.

XGN: 97
Super Mario Odyssey is Mario's return to the 3D platform collecthaton gameplay. Exploring the game worlds and collecting countless Power Moons are its main objectives, while the game stays fresh by introducing all kindS of new creative ways to do so

Everyeye.it: 97
Super Mario Odyssey is the rightful heir of Super Mario 64. It is a platform game full of surprises, secrets and wonderful levels. Original and astonishing, Super Mario Odyssey is a journey which will impress you the way only masterpieces can do.

IGN Spain: 97
One of those games that you have to play without doubt. Fun, deep, full of secrets and beautiful. Nintendo has done it again, and now we all love Mario in every possible form.

Stevivor: 95
With Super Mario Odyssey, Nintendo proves the 3D sandbox platformer is not only alive and well, but that it can continue to be evolved and surprise us, consume us and astonish us in clever and elegant ways.

Destructoid: 95
Nintendo's streak of quality still remains unbroken with Super Mario Odyssey.

IGN Italia: 95
There are so many new elements in Super Mario Odyssey, but in the end what actually strikes us is its ability to be fun in the usual elegant, essential and inevitable Mario way. If you want to run, jump, discover, flyÖ and keep on doing these (and more) things for hours and hours, Super Mario Odyssey is the game for you.

Post Arcade (National Post): 95
Super Mario Odyssey is an absolute delight that will remind you why you started playing games in the first place.

Eurogamer Italy: 90
In the first appearance of Super Mario on Switch, Nintendo revives all its 3D games of the past in one unmissable title.

VideoGamer: 100
It's extraordinary, really, that after all this time a new Mario game can feel as fresh as any that preceded it. Cappy is a revelation, exploring Kingdoms is bliss, and Super Mario Odyssey is a masterpiece.[/img]

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6558
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-27-2017 at 01:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There's very few games I purchase at launch these days, but I just ordered Super Mario Odyssey off of Amazon tonight (it didn't hurt that I got it for $47.99 since my wife has a Prime membership). I absolutely cannot wait to play this game.

And between the Switch, Breath of the Wild, the SNES Classic, and now Mario Odyssey, Nintendo has made a shitload of money off of me in 2017. But with that said, it's really good to be a Nintendo fan right now.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 7996
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 10-27-2017 at 03:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah this looks dope as fuck. But since I already have Assassin's Creed Origins arriving tomorrow, I realized there was no point in getting both at the same time. I'll try to pick this one up on Black Friday, or just wait until closer to Christmas.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1779
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 10-29-2017 at 05:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If this game was a woman and she had a meme, it would be....the ass was fat
CM Crunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1806
Registered 7-20-2011

Mood: PrestonC76

posted on 10-29-2017 at 07:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This and Breath Of The Wild might finally be what gets me to buy my first Nintendo console since the 64.

#MOOGA

CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1779
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 10-30-2017 at 02:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Change that "might" to a "will" and baby, you got yourself a STEW goin'!
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 11939
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA
Member Is Online

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 10-30-2017 at 03:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm definitely going to pick up a Switch soon now that this is out.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1779
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 10-31-2017 at 02:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have around 170 moon pieces now.

On my first day with the game;m, I got to the SeaSide Kingdom with the sparkling water, then decided to go back and try to collect more from every other previous world....and I still am in disbelief at how packed these levels are with Moons.

Where the hell are they hiding all of these things?!

Itís nuts.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6558
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-31-2017 at 10:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Got my copy of Odyssey in the mail yesterday, but am restraining myself from playing it until this weekend, when I'll have the proper time to devote to it (it helps that I have the SNES Classic to keep me occupied until then). Plus there just seems something fitting about playing a Mario game during November/December, as I have lots of warm and fuzzy holiday memories of Super Mario World, Mario 64, and Mario Galaxy.

And it's pretty crazy that Nintendo has released two triple A titles in Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey within the first seven months of the Switch's release. They stumbled pretty bad with the Wii U, but are absolutely killing it right now with the Switch.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1779
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-1-2017 at 01:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
I have around 170 moon pieces now.

On my first day with the game;m, I got to the SeaSide Kingdom with the sparkling water, then decided to go back and try to collect more from every other previous world....and I still am in disbelief at how packed these levels are with Moons.

Where the hell are they hiding all of these things?!

Itís nuts.

Whatís nuts is that we both have gone on the same exact path.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6558
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-6-2017 at 03:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Finally started Super Mario Odyssey today and after roughly two hours of playing, yeah...this game is fucking great. I'll need to play through the entire thing before saying whether or not it can dethrone Super Mario Galaxy as my favorite 3D Mario game, but it is excellent so far.

And for anyone who has been thinking about buying a Switch, take it from this Nintendo fanboy that Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild alone are with the price of admission (not to mention Metroid Prime 4 is on it's way sometime next year). I kind of feel like we're in a Nintendo renaissance right now.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 7996
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 11-6-2017 at 04:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187

Whatís nuts is that we both have gone on the same exact path.

Did you not realize you were quoting yourself, or are you going through some kinda Fight Club like thing?

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1779
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

posted on 11-7-2017 at 03:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow, I must have been incredibly stoned.

I can't stop laughing right now.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6558
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-17-2017 at 05:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd give this thread a little bump since I've gotten to spend more time with Mario Odyssey. The jury is still out on whether I'd rank it ahead of Mario Galaxy (which is my favorite 3D Mario game), but it's definitely a damn strong contender. And I totally agree with what Cam said earlier in the thread about how many moon pieces there are to find in each level...like, I'll think I have acquired a bunch on a particular level, but then check my items list and realize that there's still 15 more I haven't found yet.

Also, one kind of curious thing about the game is how they've gone for a "real world" look for some of it. It's weird to see Mario walking around normal human beings in what's essentially New York City (though called New Donk City in the game) or there being a realistic Tyrannosaurus Rex in the game that looks like something out of Jurassic Park instead of being cartoony like Yoshi. Since I haven't beat the game, I don't know if the reason for these oddities are ever explained or not, but it definitely gives things a different feel than previous Mario games.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top