The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NBA 17-18 aka Please Dubs Donít Hurt ĎEm
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 805
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-11-2018 at 09:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
All of the GOAT talk with MJ/LBJ has been great and really either would suffice but a couple of things worth mentioning that havenít been brought up:

There was expansion in Ď89 with two teams and another in Ď95 that watered down the league. The next (and last) expansion team was 2001 which was a few years before Lebron showed up.

When Lebron left the Cavs in 2010, they turned into the worst franchise in sports until he came back. And the Heat havenít done much since he left them. On the flip side, in the two years between Jordanís threepeats, the Bulls won 55 and 47 games and won a first round playoff series each year. The Cavs won 19, 21, 24, and 33 games between Lebron stints.

Also, Jordan didnít do much in the East until the Celtics and Pistons died out while Lebron has made the Finals in 8 consecutive years. He won two Finals games with Matthew freaking Delladova as his second best player for crying out loud.

And no sport has ever seen the unprecedented pussification that the NBA witnessed in 2016 with Kevin Durant joining the recent champion and wins setting team. It would be like if Lebron joined the Celtics in 2010 or if Karl Malone joined the Bulls during one of the Threepeats. Jordan never faced a team like these Warriors AND he didnít play in the Internet Age where everything is magnified 1000x. Lebron said something passive aggressive? Jordan punched his teammate in practice and no one cared. And Iím not sure how his betting would go over these days.

All in all, either can be the correct answer so far but when everything is taken into context, I think Lebron will go down as the GOAT, haterz be damned.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3951
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 6-11-2018 at 11:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here is the biggest argument for LeBron over MJ...

The six years Jordan played in the Championship (and won) he had a teammate that was an All-NBA player every year in Scottie Pippen.

The five years LeBron played in the Championship (with Cleveland) he had a teammate that was an All-NBA player just one year in Kyrie Irving (and they lost)

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Ė Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 805
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-11-2018 at 08:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, Jordan had a perfect team for years around him.

Also, the Vegas betting line on the Warriors pre-Durant was the same as the Heatís line when they formed. Imagine adding Durant to the Heat in 2012. Jesus. And ANYONE is supposed to beat that team? Even Jordanís Bulls wouldnít keep up with that but people have thrown this sweep in Lebronís face?

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-11-2018 at 09:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Reggie Miller and Patrick Ewing were still in the East for MJ to concur.

LeBronís Cavs have had...the Raptors. Itís been rather one sided.

If you want to talk LeBronís disadvantage with who else was in the league, start with Duncan and than the Warriors.

Speaking of LeBron...does he go to Philly or Houston?

Or does Boston offer Hayward to Cleveland? I mean if Boston adds a 1st, thatís going to be better than anything Houston could offer. And LeBron opting in for 1 year and then resigning makes LeBron more money.

ETA: Pippen can guard KD, Jordan can defend Steph or Klay, Rodman would eat Green alive. Hell, peak Tristan Thompson owned the glass against the Dubs. If Harper provides enough D, the 97-98 Bulls should win. Itíd be hella fun though.

Itd also depend on the rules. With modern rules and not being able to touch Jordan on D could mean 40+ ppg. Also, I think Longley & Kukoc would have been better suited for todayís game.

With old rules...does Curryís body hold up? Does Rodman set a record for rebounds in a game?

Conversely...if Iguodola bother Jordan enough and Green causes Rodman to get too many technicals, the lineup of death could try and win a shoot out.

[Edited on 6-11-2018 by bigfatgoalie]

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-11-2018 at 11:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
Here is the biggest argument for LeBron over MJ...

The six years Jordan played in the Championship (and won) he had a teammate that was an All-NBA player every year in Scottie Pippen.

The five years LeBron played in the Championship (with Cleveland) he had a teammate that was an All-NBA player just one year in Kyrie Irving (and they lost)

Well, and the Bulls had some players that were one-trick ponies, but they were spectacular one-trick ponies. Dennis Rodman's rebounding, Ron Harper's great D, Steve Kerr's shooting. And Toni Kukoc was always a pretty solid player as well.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3278
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 6-12-2018 at 02:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I forget who said this recently, but somebody summed up the Playing With 'Bron experience as follows: if you're okay with getting the ball with 4 seconds left on the shot clock, and working 'under pressure', then you'll be fine playing with LeBron. Like, he's the quarterback, then he delivers the ball to somebody and expects them to make a play.

With that said, I don't think Houston is a good fit. They'd literally need three basketballs on the floor at almost-all times to compensate for Harden, Paul & James's combined quarterbacking. Philly would, theoretically, be a nicer fit. LeBron could just do his thing, and then get the ball to the Young Guns when it matters, teaching them about 'pressure situations' in the process & ideally bootstrapping their professional growth.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7896
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 7-19-2018 at 12:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So if Kawhi is healthy...umm...yeah I'm ok with a one year rental. Siakam, Kwahi, OG, Green, and Wright on defense should be fun.

And if things don't work out...a year after Kawhi can leave, Lowry and Ibaka come off the books. So a rebuild will be easy to start while sill having guys like OG and Siakam.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3278
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 7-22-2018 at 03:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can't decide how I feel about The Klaw joining Team DinoClaw:

- On one hand, he's one of the [X] best players in the NBA today.
- On the other hand, almost-everything the Rappytors touch turns to .

This could be cataclysmically amazing or ridiculously humdrum, or anywhere in between. May we live in interesting times, I guess?

[Edited on 7-22-2018 by Count Zero]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top