The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NBA 17-18 aka Please Dubs Donít Hurt ĎEm
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-18-2017 at 02:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NBA 17-18 aka Please Dubs Donít Hurt ĎEm

Iíll post predictions later. For now....do not watch the Gordon Haywood injury. that was nasty.
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6259
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Mans n' Cansô

posted on 10-18-2017 at 04:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Let's see that agayn in an instant replay...

Jim Carrey's Canadienne so I should get double points for that gif.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America youíre going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 10-18-2017 at 05:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You know, my wife and I ran out to run a couple of errands earlier, but if I had been home, I more than likely would have been watching the Cavs/Celtics game. After hearing about Haywood's injury, I'm SO glad I dodged that bullet and didn't see it happen live.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 10-19-2017 at 04:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
East

Raps
Cavs
Wizards

West

OKC
Warriors
Spurs

Playoffs

Cavs over Raps
Spurs over Warriors

Spurs over Cavs

Silly predictions...Cavs will think about trading LeBron. LeBron resigns with Cavs anyways. Wolves look to trade Wiggins. Pelicans look to trade Boogie. No major trades happen.

The Raps trade JV as Masai is a warlock. Raps still can't beat LeBron.

Steve Kerr is fired starting the downfall of the Warriors.

LeBron doesn't win MVP despite being the best player alive.

Giannis looks great, Bucks as a team fail to impress in playoffs.

OKC loses both Melo and George to free agency.

The Bulls are REALLY BAD...don't get the 1st pick.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4564
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 11-26-2017 at 06:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm not a basketball fan really, but I didn't know where else to stick this story...

I was flying back from Miami to Toronto last Monday and while waiting for my flight (after customs and security screening stuff) I spotted a massively tall guy with a tonne of tattoos standing there talking on his cell phone; he was decked out in various Raptors swag and I figured man this guy has got to be a basketball player, or at least he really should be.

I wasn't going to bug the guy, but a couple of young girls nearby spotted him and recognized him as Lucas Nogueira (of the Raptors) and went up and asked if they could take a picture with him, which he was nice enough to oblige (the only thing he made sure to do was to hide his Starbucks cup as I guess he didn't want to be seen as promoting them, even on people's Facebook... just one of those athlete considerations we don't think about but they have to). Once the girls got a pic with him the flood gates were open, as I'm guessing no less than 20 people came up to him looking for a pic' or an autograph which he was really cool about providing despite it being obvious that he just wanted to get back to his call and not be mobbed. Astonishingly I heard more than one photograph seeker walk away asking who he was... lol, people see others flock to something and tell them their famous and everyone has to have a piece. One guy was obnoxiously filming him and facetiming a buddy in between constantly harassing him with questions (Lucas had the misfortune of having this guy behind him on the flight as well, and I could hear him getting peppered with questions for the majority of the flight as well).

He was only a few feet from me, so once he was done his call and the herds had thinned out I told him that I wasn't a basketball fan so I wasn't looking for a pic or anything like that but just wanted to say how cool I thought it was that he took the time to do that for everyone- he spotted my Marvel Comics t-shirt I was wearing and asked me about who my favourite hero was- I talked up DC a bit, and he said he's a huge Wolverine fan and even has a tattoo of him on his back... we talked comic movies for a few minutes and even talked a bit about Hockey; he seems to be a big fan of Toronto in general (I later saw that while despite being from Brazil he's got a Canadian flag tattoo on himself as well).... maybe it was because I wasn't a fanboy, and we could just shoot the shit like two normal strangers is why we wound up chatting for a bit?

Anyway, really cool dude, and a bit of an eye opener as to how people treat celebrities/athletes even if they don't know who they are... also, just how much time and energy can go into something as mundane as waiting for a flight for these guys (He had swung down on an off day to see his daughter).... due is crazy tall though; even flying up in first class (well, the extra few inches of leg room and a curtain cutting you off from all but the first 5 rows of seats that passes for first class on these red eye air bus flights) he could not have been comfortable.

Anyway; go Raptors!?!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 4-11-2018 at 09:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So my predictions were horrible. On the plus side, the Raps culture change has made JV useful, and got them the 1 seed.

Oh and Sportsnet has a killer Raptorfied version of Northern Touch in their playoff hype commercials. Kardinal took Jalen Roseís motto to heart and is gettin dem checks.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-16-2018 at 02:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was 50/50 on whether or not the Cavs would make it back to the finals this year, but damn, after today I'm not so sure they even make it out of the first round.
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 5-22-2018 at 02:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I was 50/50 on whether or not the Cavs would make it back to the finals this year, but damn, after today I'm not so sure they even make it out of the first round.

This has not aged well.

Fucking LeBron, Mayor or LeBronto, is a freaking legend.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-22-2018 at 05:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
quote:

This has not aged well.

Fucking LeBron, Mayor or LeBronto, is a freaking legend.

LeBron has been has been amazing, but it still took them seven games to get out of the first round against Indiana. And I still think Cleveland has a 50/50 shot at making the finals...they have the momentum right now, but they're gonna have to steal one in Boston in order to advance on.

With all that said though, there's no way in fuck anybody is beating Golden State this year.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3088
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 5-25-2018 at 10:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And just like that....the Rockets are up 3-2! But Chris Paul is hurt, so there's that.

The GS/Houston series has been fun, but does anyone else on here think this is the sloppiest fucking basketball they've ever seen? The past two games especially have been isolation with a star, flailing, and horrible shots that are lucky to hit the rim, especially in the last five minutes of the game. I feel like I'm not seeing any set plays at all, just a bunch of one-on-one with bad shots.

For that reason, I'm rooting for Boston. They may not be the best team, but they're easily playing the best team ball right now. It's nice to watch.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3279
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 5-26-2018 at 05:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was quite amused by Sir Chuckles Barkley calling that first half of game five "The worst half of basketball I've ever seen". It kind of was the drizzling shits.

[Edited on 5-26-2018 by Count Zero]

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7685
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-27-2018 at 07:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
But Chris Paul is hurt, so there's that.

Not to take away anything from what the Warriors have accomplished, but has there ever been a team that has gotten so lucky when it comes to their opponents getting injured in the playoffs? They won their first title after facing a Cavs team without Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, then last year Kawhi Leonard went down against them, and now Chris Paul is hurt and sounds very questionable for Game 7.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 5-28-2018 at 03:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
But Chris Paul is hurt, so there's that.

Not to take away anything from what the Warriors have accomplished, but has there ever been a team that has gotten so lucky when it comes to their opponents getting injured in the playoffs? They won their first title after facing a Cavs team without Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love, then last year Kawhi Leonard went down against them, and now Chris Paul is hurt and sounds very questionable for Game 7.

So I wrote this in last yearís thread:

quote:
So looking at how out of his mind KD had to play for the Warriors to win....

It kinda sucks that dumb luck prevented the Cavs from a 3-peat.

Yes, I'll admit the Draymond doing Draymond things helped the Cavs get their title.

But consider that in the first meeting of Cleveland and Golden State, the Warriors faced the LeBrons, not the Cavs. If KD doesn't sign with Golden State (either because OKC doesn't blow it vs the Warriors or he goes someplace else like Boston), Cleveland wins the 3rd matchup.

Injuries to Love and Irving, and KD being available. Plus the Warriors getting cap room thanks to the ABC/ESPN/TNT deals......something the NBA tried to avoid. A case can be made that the Sports Gods really do hate Cleveland, and LeBron is really that good.

People talk about what it takes to build a team or win a ring...it's amazing how much luck really does play in to it.

And the thing is, I like Curry. I like Durant. But the reactions to them winning are a little over the top. Maybe it's just overflow of "this is historic" sports talk after the Pens won back-to-back Cups, but the KD > LeBron and Dubs being a dynasty in the making talk tonight just seemed a little to much.

The Dubs are a few huge breaks from ZERO titles, and could be on their way to 3 in 4 years.

Also....itís still Jordan than LeBron...but...itís a debate. And LeBron May play 5 more years.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-30-2018 at 03:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm now leaning towards LeBron over Michael as GOAT based on longevity. Michael really had 10 great years, Lebron now has 12 (great being defined as MVP worthy, but highly subjective).

Other stuff:
1st Team All League: Lebron (12) over Jordan (10)
2nd Team All League: Lebron (2) over Jordan (1)
MVP: Jordan (5) over Lebron (4)
NBA Finals: Lebron (9) over Jordan (6)
NBA Championships: Jordan (6) over Lebron (3)

The main thing that I can't get over is that, watching the Cavs, LeBron basically has an opposing player draped over him for 40 minutes every game and still fight through it. I don't think any player has had to take the physical grind that LeBron does and he's still great after 54000 NBA minutes.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 5-30-2018 at 05:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think both LeBron and Jordan are great. Comparing them is kinda pointless though.

Just look at longevity. Jordan spent 3 years in college. Plus took 1 1/2 years off. And played during an era where sports science wasnít anywhere close to what LeBron has. Jordan also lost almost an entire year.

Jordan is one of the best defensive players EVER. Heís got 9 1st team all defensive honours, to go with winning defensive player of the year in 88. At the same time, LeBron has five 1st team all defensive nods.

As for physical grind...MJ played against the Bad Boy Pistons. Watch some of those Jazz/Bulls games. Those were insanely physical.

Thereís also the competition factor. LeBron has gone to 9 finals mostly unchallenged in the East. MJ played against the Celtics 80s dynasty and previously mentioned Pistons. Itís also hard to say if MJ would have gone 8/8 if he didnít take time off. A rusty MJ almost was enough to bear Shaw/Penny. But again, who know what LeBronís Finals Record would look like with no Duncan or with a healthy Kyrie/Love in the first series against the Warriors.

Meanwhile LeBron gives his team whatever they need. Is a better passer than Jordan. Is about a million times more fun to play with. And LeBronís been a voice on social issues, something Jordan stayed away from.

They are the 2 best players ever.

That being said...MJ is still the GOAT. People forget how insane he was in the 80s. Like seriously even before he won a title he was GOAT level. Remember how I mentioned he won DPOY in 88? He also led the league in scoring. He was clearly the best in a year with Magic, Bird, and Isiah Thomas all at or close to their peaks.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-30-2018 at 10:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's an interesting discussion for fun. Lebron is no slouch defensively (6 times all-D team vs. 9 times for Jordan). I don't know how to count Michael's missing time - you could argue he might have kept winning, but he also might have broken down faster.

But I would argue that Michael became great (86-87 season) right at the very tail end of the Celtics/Lakers as dominant teams. He did have to deal with the dirty Pistons (they stayed in the hotel where I worked and they were dicks) and the cheap shots of Malone (funny how he never got a reputation for being a dirty player even though he was).

I'm still leaning towards Lebron, but I respect your view.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3951
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 5-31-2018 at 11:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I personally feel that Jordan was and remains the GOAT, the only, and this is just my opinion, ONLY reason LeBron could move ahead of Jordan, is comparing the teammates that each had on their teams to win the East. Besides Wade, did LeBron play with a Hall of Famer, or even a borderline HOFer (Love?)

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Ė Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 5-31-2018 at 06:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
I personally feel that Jordan was and remains the GOAT, the only, and this is just my opinion, ONLY reason LeBron could move ahead of Jordan, is comparing the teammates that each had on their teams to win the East. Besides Wade, did LeBron play with a Hall of Famer, or even a borderline HOFer (Love?)

Funny you should mention that:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/31/17412198/lebron-james-finals-teammate-power-rankings

quote:

6. Shawn Marion
5. Kyrie Irving
4. Kevin Love
3. Chris Bosh
2. Ray Allen
1. Dwyane Wade

I think 4-6 are iffy, but still likely.

People forget how good Bosh was, and how he transformed himself as the perfect fit for LeBron. Sucks he ran in to health issues.

Sportsguy
Showstopper

Posts 932
Registered 10-17-2009
Location Illinois

Mood:

posted on 6-1-2018 at 04:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've been watching basketball for.....let's just say a number of years. What JR Smith did in the last 5 seconds tonight was probably the dumbest fucking play I've ever seen in my life.
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 6-1-2018 at 05:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How a team with Draymond Green has that much good karma is amazing.
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3951
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 6-1-2018 at 11:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

6. Shawn Marion
5. Kyrie Irving
4. Kevin Love
3. Chris Bosh
2. Ray Allen
1. Dwyane Wade

I think 4-6 are iffy, but still likely.

People forget how good Bosh was, and how he transformed himself as the perfect fit for LeBron. Sucks he ran in to health issues.

I saw this yesterday after my post, and looking at HOF probability I will agree that Bosh is a probable HOFer (99% likely) but Ray Allen was a shell of himself when he played with LeBron.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Ė Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

royberto
I Do Not Know What Words Mean

Posts 1259
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 6-9-2018 at 11:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nothing warms the cockles of my heart more than watching that piece of shit Labron quit as his team gets swept at home. This is the team and players he wanted, so he has nobody to blame but himself. Nobody deserves to choke on a sweep more than that asshole.

Rising above the trolls

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 999
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-9-2018 at 05:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wouldn't say this is the team LeBron wanted as I pretty sure he didn't want to see Kyrie leave. The team was good; not great and prone to ups and downs.

It's too bad, but as a Cavs' fan, I've enjoyed the last four years and, if that's it, it still was a shitload of fun.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7898
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 6-10-2018 at 12:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by royberto
Nothing warms the cockles of my heart more than watching that piece of shit Labron quit as his team gets swept at home. This is the team and players he wanted, so he has nobody to blame but himself. Nobody deserves to choke on a sweep more than that asshole.

Can you keep your stupidity to the wrestling threads?

LeBron wanted Kyrie back. He played hurt at an MVP level.

Also you calling him a piece of shit and an asshole makes me wonder who you consider a good guy. Bobby Knight?

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2494
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 6-11-2018 at 06:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
*Responds to troll*

*troll comes back*

Rinse, repeat

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply