The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Retro Watches
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2401
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-15-2017 at 10:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Retro Watches

I figured we'd have a thread for when one of us watches an old PPV or show on the Network and feels like jabbering about it.

Tonight, I watched...Royal Rumble 1995!

Good lord, 1995 Pamela Anderson. The parade of guy slobbering over her in the opening is tres creepy, but they're not WRONG.

Intercontinental Title - Razor Ramon (c) vs Jeff Jarrett w/the Roadie: Perfectly fine match, with basic psychology. Razor will always be my favorite IC champion. Imagine how great he would've been as an attitude era edgy babyface. Jarrett wins after Roadie cheating and a restart leads to Razor's knee giving out on the Razor's Edge. Downside of the match: Possibly responsible for TNA.

Undertaker vs. IRS - Bray Wyatt Senior at his IRSiest. As usual, his only notable spot is a prolonged abdominal stretch. Still, this...didn't suck? Lots of interference, Taker no-selling lots of shit and generally being badass. I mean, it wasn't great, by any means, but I wasn't bored! That's a first for an IRS match! Taker wins with a chokeslam, duh.

WWF Title - Diesel (c) vs. Bret Hart: Holy shit, this was a war. I didn't really expect much, but this was Bret Hart at the height of his powers. Fired up as hell, throwing in a few chairshots. He pulled out a suicide dive in 1995! Nash was game, too, selling like a champ and clearly just trying to keep up out there. Shitloads of interference and a schmozz ending with Owen, Backlund AND Shawn all getting involved for a no-contest after multiple restarts. So much intensity, though, especially from Bret. That will come back again later. Honestly, a **** match at least and probably more with an actual ending.

Tag Titles (Tournament Final) - 123-Kid/Bob "Sparkplug" Holly vs. Tatanka/Bam Bam Bigelow w/Ted Dibiase: I have a soft spot for Tatanka, Bammer never getting a title was a crime and I am a big fan of the Kid. And Bob Holly was there, too! Ah, good old Sparky Plugg. What a fucking dope he is in this match, getting smacked around, trying to tag in a guy on the other team and generally being a poor schmuck. When Sean Waltman is your partner and you're the LESS intimidating member of the team, you have problems. Obviously, things would get better for Bob, but he's still a fucking mullet-headed dweeb here. Tatanka really does chop the shit out of guys, but he still fucks up BBB's moonsault so that the Kid can steal the pin and the tag titles (for a whole one day, anyway).

Bam Bam smacks around Lawrence Taylor in the front row after to set up their WM match. LT is SO GODDAMN 90s, it hurts. I'm not sure if he looks like a black Boz or if Boz looked like a white LT.

Royal Rumble: So, I didn't really watch in 95, as it was my first few years of college and I was too busy having a life for the first time ever to watch wrestling, at least for a couple more years. Holy shit, this roster was BAD. Like SO BAD. Dick Murdoch is in this thing and he goes a while and makes the final six. The big showdown in the middle is MABEL VS KING KONG BUNDY, ten years after anyone gave a shit about Bundy.

Still, again, it doesn't entirely suck. The basic story built around Shawn and Bulldog being the first two in and the last two left is solid and at least provides a structure to care about the damn thing. They really should've had some guys pull double duty, though, to make the middle feel more meaningful. Just quick appearances from Taker or Razor or the Kid would've made a big difference. Everybody knew Shawn was winning anyway, but it would've given people something to hang their hat on. Luger looks like a moron towards the end as he keeps saving Shawn for some reason, so much so that they actually have to comment on it and have King speculate that Luger's in secret cahoots with Shawn.

Hottest things in the match aren't actually in the match, as Bret comes out to kick the shit out of both Owen and Backlund when their turns arrive, making them easy eliminations and ruining their nights. Bret Hart is a bad-ass angry motherfucker here and I'm loving it.

Shawn wins, of course, but only after barely skinning the cat and letting Bulldog think he's won, then ambushing him to win for real. Bulldog also looks really stupid for this, but babyfaces in this era of WWF were obviously dummies other than Diesel and Bret.

Verdict: Um, I kind of loved this? I mean, I expected just a bit of dumb nostalgia and a glimpse of some things I never really saw as they happened. And I got that, but it was also pretty entertaining and fun and so different from the product today. As much as I know this period is reviled, I might watch some more 95 stuff soon.

[Edited on 10-15-2017 by GodEatGod]

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

chefb
rOOkie

Posts 29
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-16-2017 at 08:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod

Verdict: Um, I kind of loved this? I mean, I expected just a bit of dumb nostalgia and a glimpse of some things I never really saw as they happened. And I got that, but it was also pretty entertaining and fun and so different from the product today. As much as I know this period is reviled, I might watch some more 95 stuff soon.

[Edited on 10-15-2017 by GodEatGod]

Yeah, I really like the 95-97, pre-Attitude Era period. I don't know, but there was something about it before it really took off and started going corporate that I really liked, and I think there was a lot of good stuff in there that gets overlooked for the most part.

TownOfDalem
Undisputibed Champion

Posts 2725
Registered 10-4-2007
Location Durham, NC

Mood: Waddle

posted on 10-17-2017 at 10:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
WWF Title - Diesel (c) vs. Bret Hart: Holy shit, this was a war. I didn't really expect much, but this was Bret Hart at the height of his powers. Fired up as hell, throwing in a few chairshots. He pulled out a suicide dive in 1995! Nash was game, too, selling like a champ and clearly just trying to keep up out there. Shitloads of interference and a schmozz ending with Owen, Backlund AND Shawn all getting involved for a no-contest after multiple restarts. So much intensity, though, especially from Bret. That will come back again later. Honestly, a **** match at least and probably more with an actual ending.

This match and the 96 Rumble's Bret vs. Taker match are two freaking classics that don't get their due. Probably because both have super schmozz endings. Arguably the greatest match of Nash's career and possibly the first good Taker match.

OO's only mammal penguin

First 9
The Great One

Posts 3955
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 10-20-2017 at 03:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wished they've done the two ironmen lasting till the end booking for more star-starved Rumbles. This is a fun Rumble and the fact that two stars in Michaels and Bulldog are always there help hide how thin it was.
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2401
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 11-26-2017 at 11:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So I watched another show. This time, NWA Great American Bash 1988!

JR and Tony Schiavone announcing together is unusual, but really good. It's too bad they didn't get along because they have decent chemistry and both kind of mix in play-by-play and color when they work together. They don't even get a desk either, they just have to stand around ringside holding their mics.

Sting & Nikita Koloff vs. Arn & Tully - World Tag Titles:

-Arn & Tully are the greatest tag team that looks like guys my dad played poker with.
-Never watched much Nikita before. He looks great! His flattop is god damn amazing. The pop when he hits the sickle is INSANE.
-The Horsemen had a secret, no reporters allowed breakfast to strategize. Same.
-Time limit draws suck (and with the Dusty finish, faces holding up the belts and all). Many good things to borrow from old school NWA - that finish is not one.

Midnight Express vs. The Fantastics - US Tag Titles:

-Jim Cornette is put in a straight jacket, inside a cage and then hung over the ring. Y'know, for a guy who hates Vince Russo, that's a very Vince Russo stipulation. Cornette hugging the Express, trying to bribe the ref and being a big baby is, of course, heel gold.
-Even midcard babyfaces like the Fantastics get giant pops from this crowd. They are PSYCHED in Baltimore. It's interesting to me how pretty boy tag teams always weren't. I mean, the girls definitely seem to like them but...but...Bobby Fulton. I mean, Tommy Rogers, maybe, but Fulton? No. Just...no. And let's not even get into Bobby Eaton.
-Holy shit, Fulton pulled off a fucking standing rana! Eaton's hilarious, yelling COUNT DADGUM IT at the ref or AHHH MY ARM when he's put in an armbar.
-Really fun, fast-paced match, all these guys are good. Finish is Eaton wrapping a chain around his fist and popping Fulton while the ref is down. For a great touch, he hides the chain in Fulton's tights afterwards for deniability. Brilliant. The Fantastics steal the ref's belt and use it to whip Cornette after the match to get their heat back.

Tower of Doom - The Road Warriors (Hawk and Animal), Steve Williams, Jimmy Garvin and Ron Garvin against Kevin Sullivan, Mike Rotunda, Al Perez, Russian Assassin and Ivan Koloff:

-The Tower of Doom takes FOREVER to build and they have no distraction. No backstage interview, no commentary evening just "hey guys, please wait and watch while the stagehands build this damn thing". They do a piss-poor job of explaining the rules and the announcers admit that they don't really understand how the match works either. Fantastic.
-Super generic brawling, crawling down levels of the cage. The thing is rickety and sways like crazy. JR is in his glory yelling about STEEL all the time and about how these men are STALLIONS DAMMIT.
-The Garvin/Warriors team wins by escaping the cage, but it leaves Jimmy Garvin's manager/girlfriend, Precious, alone with Kevin Sullivan, who locks them in and proceeds to try to grope her and then choke her with a cord like a psychopath. Garvin and Hawk have to crawl back in through the top of the three cage stack to get back at him and, as cheesy as this is, the crowd is going FUCKING BANANAS for all of it.

Barry Windham vs. Dusty Rhodes - US Title:

-Windham's black leather gear makes him look like a badass, chaps or no chaps. This really is the height of the Horsemen, with Arn & Tully tag champs, Windham US champ and Flair, of course, World champion.
-Dusty FLIES with a crossbody off the top! LUCHA DUST!
-Dillon and Windham sell for Dusty like he's Braun Stroman. Wonder who's booking tonight? That said, the crowd loves it and loves Dusty.
-Schiavone declares Windham's Iron Claw has 'cut men's heads open' which seems very lolwut. The Claw lasts a LONG time, a lot of Dusty rolling around while Barry rubs his forehead. The announcers put a lot of drama on it but it doesn't even vaguely look threatening. How is it cutting off the blood to Dusty's head? Did people not know how brains work in 1988?!?
-I want to love this match, but this Claw spot is murderous. So long. So boring.
-Ref bump, Dusty gets the upper hand and then Ron Garvin of all people comes in and heel turns on Dusty with the Hand of Stone to give Barry the pin. Dr. Death comes out to lovingly pet Dusty's head afterwards and make sure he's okay.
-Garvin backstage gets a briefcase full of cash from JJ Dillon, rubbing some of the bills on his chest. Bob Caudle speculates that there MIGHT have been a payoff.

Ric Flair vs. Lex Luger - World Heavyweight Title:

-Flair's the only heel all night to get a babyface pop because he's MOTHERFUCKING RIC FLAIR, although he gets plenty of boos, too. Just as I've developed more appreciation for Bret Hart watching 90s WWF, I've developed so much more appreciation for Flair watching 80s NWA and seeing him in his prime.
-Luger is mighty over, too, though, especially when he tosses Flair around. Lots of girly screaming.
-Both guys have tights that match their hair, gold for Luger and stark white for Flair.
-Flair is the ideal opponent for face Luger, making him look like a million bucks. The ideal opponent for heel Luger is Ricky Steamboat for the exact same reason.
-Ah, a long bearhug. Joy. Flair's selling is better than Dusty's, at least.
-Luger is a smug ass babyface. SO MUCH SMIRKING. He really is the original Roman Reigns.
-I love JR getting pissed at Luger not hooking the leg when Flair keeps kicking out.
-Luger gets barely busted open on the outside, but starts to dominate when they get back in. But the Maryland Athletic Commission doesn't allow blood and declares the match over, although the crowd doesn't realize it until the announcer tells them. Another Dusty finish and the crowd rightfully shits all over it.

Verdict: It's no wonder that WWE so reveres and idolizes Dusty these days, because this felt a LOT like a modern WWE pay per view. Lots of hard work and some great characters, especially in the tag matches, a few hot angles but some pretty dumb booking decisions, especially in the big matches. I really enjoyed the show, but I can imagine those finishes would irritate the shit out of paying fans invested in the product at the time it actually happened. I also just don't think you could ever get a crowd this hot and invested in modern times, not even because of the product, but just because our culture's so different. People are way too aloof and cynical to get as jacked and totally into the show as these people were, it's just a different era and a different way of looking at the world.

[Edited on 11-26-2017 by GodEatGod]

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2333
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 12-28-2017 at 06:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I took advantage of PWGís 5 for 40 sale and really dug into their 2005 catalogue, strictly for the Kevin Steen (Kevin Owens)/Super Dragon feud.

Some of this stuff is among Steenís best work, as well as Dragonís.

Highest possible recommendation, and very much worth seeking out:

http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com/merch/2005/dvd0039.html

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2401
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 9-30-2018 at 05:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey, I watched another old PPV. This time - WCW Great American Bash 96!

Fire & Ice vs. Steiner Bros

Sloppy slobberknocker
Glorious mullet on Scott Steiner
Worst Frankensteiner ever to finish
Still kind of fun

Sullivan interview - Holy shit, Sullivan is BAD

El Gato vs. Konan (U.S. Title)
El Gato is nobody I've seen
Konan as a clean-cut babyface feels weird
El Gato baseball slides and just falls on the floor
Dusty giving commentary for people who might be 'listening on the radio'
Konnan wins, if that was ever in doubt. Fans don't really give a shit, hard to blame 'em.

Sting interview - Sting calls Regal prissy and makes gay jokes about him. Mean Gene points out that Regal fought in the SAND PITS OF INDIA. Sting threatens to 'straighten Regal out'. Holy shit, none of this would fly now.

Schiavone very quickly points out that Regal might be prissy, but he ain't no sissy.

Lord of the Ring:
DDP vs. Marcus Alexander Bagwell
DDP takes a shot at "Carl Ripken" in Baltimore
Jesus, Buff hotshots him from the apron and drags him all the way to the floor. Whoops.
Bagwell's frosted tips LOL
They're trying to explain the backstory of DDP losing his money and coming back to the company and it's just total nonsense with a guy doing a thesis paper and a mysterious benefactor
Ah, cheating in the ab stretch
DDP wins with a rather methodical setup into a Diamond Cutter. Still a new move but it got a big pop.

Giant promo - Who will Jimmy Hart support, since he manages both guys in the title match? Honestly, Giant's promo isn't that bad and he scared my five year old at least.

Cruiserweight title:
Rey vs. Malenko
Rey's debut!
Great damn match, with Malenko as the cold technician trying to dissect the high-flying kid, getting frustrated when he can't put Rey down and finally cheating to win after Rey gets some close calls. A little slow in the middle with some of the armwork, but great psychology and a fantastic match.

Luger interview - Luger is TV champ and tag champ with Sting. This is during his funny run where he's a babyface with Sting and a heel with Jimmy Hart. Standard stuff.

Big Bubba vs. John Tenta:
WHEN FATTIES COLLIDE.
Well, this is terrible.
Tenta's head is half-shaved from an earlier fight with Bubba.
"He's not the man of 1000 holds, but he's half of a 1000 lbs!"
The Ex-Shark wins. Nobody cares.

Kevin Green & Mongo interview - Kevin is FIRED UP. They have their wives with them. That's going to count later. Macho Man coaches them up and makes a lot of football puns.

Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan - Falls Count Anywhere
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek
Immediate crowd brawling, up the stairs and into the restroom. Security's barely holding back a bunch of fans. Benoit almost shoves Sullivan's head in a urinal which would've been among the grossest spots ever.
Dusty with one of my favorite calls in all wrestling: "THERE'S A WOMAN! THERE'S A WOMAN IN THE MEN'S BATHROOM!"
Benoit wins propping a table on the top turnbuckle and superplexing Sullivan off. Arn comes out to help him beat down Sullivan to confirm that Benoit's back in the good graces of the Horsemen.

Horsemen interview - Usual good stuff, Ric makes sure to remind Savage that he's fucking Liz like the class act he is.

Lord Steven Regal vs. Sting:
Sting called Regal gay while wearing hot pink facepaint and boots, with his name in rainbow along the legs.
Two solid pros having a solid pro match. Regal with some beautiful heelwork, including palming Sting in the face while singing Rule Britannia into the camera.
Dusty says WCW will win any war because they have an 'attitude'. Uhhhhhhhhhh.
Joint manipulation!
Regal backhands Sting across the face and it's STING TIME. Sting's maybe the greatest babyface ever, sorry, I actually marked out. Regal taps out to the Scorpion about a minute later.

Flair & Arn vs. Mongo & Kevin Greene:
Easy to know what's about to happen with hindsight
Man, heel Liz was smoking.
The babyfaces are the 'athletes of the 90s'. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh no.
Good foreshadowing as they point out Mongo left the Bears to play for their archrival Packers for more money.
Crowd is nuclear for this match
Heenan with the Horsemen is so great, it's a shame it was so brief.
Ref lets Macho man smack around Flair. WTF Randy Anderson?!
Plenty of shenanigans, fun match.
Horsemen offer Mongo money and a place on the team, he betrays Greene, bing bang boom. I honestly love this story and never minded Mongo as a Horseman. I mean, he was the worst worker of them all, but you had Flair and Arn and Benoit right there and somebody's gotta be the big lug.

The Outsiders interviewed by Bischoff: They get their match at Bash at the Beach, but Bischoff won't tell them who so Nash jackknifes Eric off a stage through a table. One of the better uses of the hushed voices from the announcers, including Schiavone going to check on Bischoff personally and talking about his own history of neck injuries.

Main event:
Lex Luger vs. The Giant (WCW championship)
I've seen Lex and the Giant wrestle a thousand times and this...was one of those times! I dunno, it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good and it was kind of a letdown after all the stuff before. Lex gets Giant on the top and tries to get him in the rack, but collapses under the weight and eats a chokeslam.

The whole show was still great to watch. I'd seen Bash at the Beach 96 but never watched this one before. Dusty might be goofy, but I love him as an announcer cause you just forgive him all the quirks because he's fucking Dusty Rhodes. Definitely a fun trip back in time for me as an old WCW mark.

[Edited on 9-30-2018 by GodEatGod]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top