The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NHL 2017-2018
bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6621
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-3-2017 at 10:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NHL 2017-2018

ONE MORE SLEEP!!! My likely not as good as last year predictions...

Atlantic = Tampa
Metro = Columbus

Pacific = Edmonton
Central = Minnesota

Playoffs

Leafs over Pens
Oilers over Blackhawks

Leafs over Oilers*

Hart = McDavid
Art Ross = McDavid
Norris = Hedman
Calder = Nico Hischier

Extra Predictions = Montreal/Ottawa/Florida will be in a dog fight for the 3rd spot in the Atlantic. 5 Metro teams make the playoffs. Nashville takes a step back. The Ducks or Kings trade for John Taveres.

*My original thought was Leafs/Oilers were each a year away. But the more I think about it, the more I'm not sure the Hawks, Preds, Wild, Lightning or Pens are better. My final pick is based on Lupul officially going on LTIR. The Leafs now have cap room and NHL assets (JVR, Uncle Leo, Leivo) to go along with picks and prospects if they feel they are close. Considering their bad start and horrible OT record, last years team wasn't far off from winning their division. If none of the super sophmores (Matthews/Nylander/Marner) regress this team is going to be scary up front. Jack Gardiner looks ready to take a step up. Hainsey is a huge upgrade.

We live in an age when crazy shit happens...so why not pick the Leafs to win the Cup?

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3648
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 10-6-2017 at 08:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't know if its been because of years of abuse for being a Leafs fan, or what... but I just can't bring myself to truth them as being a good team... despite evidence to the contrary.

In saying that; if Borgman turns out to be another Zaitsev, Gardiner stays at his current level, and Reilly has that breakout year we all know he has in him then I do think the sky's the moon for the Leafs... even adding Hainsey added a nice calming, veteran presence to the line up that I think will elevate the kids to be better.

Again; call it my cautious Leaf side, but there may be reason to fear the dreaded sophomore slump for your trio of superstars up front... I think they avoid a bad one, but hitting the same or exceeding last years lofty achievements might be hard... thankfully there's some genuine secondary scoring there with the addition of Marleau, and Kadri's elevation of his game.

So yeah.. why not the Leafs for the cup?

I think the Pens have it in them for another good run, but there has to come a time when playing so many playoff games is bound to catch up to them... I don't think we'll get a Hawks or Kings like crash any time soon; but there is going to come a series where younger and more rested legs are going to skate past the Pens.

I think maybe Minnesota, Chicago, and Nashville might see a step back again this year... ditto for Columbus. In the East you don't want to look past constant over achievers the Sens, but they are probably ripe for a big drop this year...

I'm too tired right now to make some guesses; I'll give it some more thought and post something later... I will say this though: I think this is going to be a good year for hockey... lot's of big teams with bigger expectations... lots of emerging powerhouses, some faltering powerhouses in transition, and some big questions surround teams like LVK and the Avalanche as to how far they'll be going in terms of moving out players. Throw in the possible announcement for a 32nd team and the roster jockeying that might start early to deal with that (even if it is two years away maybe?) and it should be an interesting and fun. year.

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6621
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 10-19-2017 at 04:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Leafs have looked very good this year...and still have areas to make big improvements. This feels weird. Also days before other Canadian fan bases are done with hearing about how awesome Auston Matthews is? Last Monday.
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3712
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 10-24-2017 at 12:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Atlantic = Tampa
Metro = Pittsburgh

Pacific = Los Angeles
Central = Chicago

Playoffs

Tampa over Blue Jackets
Vancouver over Blues

Lightening over Canuks

Extra Predictions = Vegas will make the playoffs, Tavares stays in NY.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6621
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 11-5-2017 at 11:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Leafs who are driving my crazy = Gardiner, Bozak, JVR.

Leafs who I would not trade for McDavid = Matthews.

Would love if the Leafs could move Jake and a forward for a right handed d so that Hainsey can play the left side.

OffIceman
And I am AWESOME

Posts 116
Registered 3-12-2004
Location Eerie, PA

Mood: Hello, is it me ur l

posted on 11-11-2017 at 12:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I might be prejudiced after having been able to watch him for 3 seasons in Erie, but damn if I can figure any else who's more fun to watch in overtime than Connor McDavid (especially if he's on the ice with Draisatl).

It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy!!!

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3712
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 11-13-2017 at 01:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Save of the year... not just because I am a Jacket fan

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top