The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RIP Tom Petty
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2401
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-2-2017 at 09:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
RIP Tom Petty

RIP to one of the greatest musicians of Americana. Tom Petty was just kind of fundamental, universal. I've never known a person who didn't like Tom Petty or could deny his talent. We won't see his like again.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1582
Registered 12-6-2005
Location Long Island, New York

Mood: Relaxed

posted on 10-2-2017 at 09:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Absolute legend, his music helped shape my taste in music.

The WWE: Where no one wins, unless you like Cena, in which case you are a sad little fanboy who will never get laid, but we are happy to take your money away-Moosehead Jack

"She is an estrogen molotov cocktail. It'd be in your best interest not to piss her off."- My thoughts on Firewoman

"Kurt Angle is like a living vortex of the surreal. On the off chance he's not doing, saying or thinking crazy things, people connected to him act crazy by association, caught in the gravitational pull of his insanity."- Ringout from FAN Forums

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4982
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 10-2-2017 at 09:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I posted this on the Headlines forum without seeing this one.

Losing so many talented people lately.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7709
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-2-2017 at 09:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
“Sing a little song of loneliness
Sing one to make me smile
Another round for everyone
I'm here for a little while”

So many great songs.

I saw him & the Heartbreakers play “ Tweeter and The Monkey Man” live in 2013. Free Falling was one of the first songs I learned to play. This sucks.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4982
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 10-3-2017 at 12:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
UPDATE:

Tom Petty kicks out at 2 and 7/8ths!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/business/media/tom-petty-cardiac-arrest.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/lapd-clarifies-cannot-confirm-tom-petty-death/

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8254
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 10-3-2017 at 01:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe not technically dead yet... but it sure sounds like the situation is pretty grim...

Damn. Such a fantastic musician, obviously. Plus, I'll never forget the way he made his fortune-- he slipped on pee pee at the Costco.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5916
Registered 1-28-2013
Location 'Murica's Wang

Mood: Donkey Show

posted on 10-3-2017 at 01:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good news, dudes! I've found my future wife!

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7709
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 10-3-2017 at 05:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Petty's reps have officially announced his passing.

Been thinking of car rides as a kid with Petty cassettes, staying up late with Wildflowers on the disc man working on essays in high school. Using Highway Companion in training classes to teach folks how to troubleshoot audio issues. Recording a friend playing free falling to show off my iPhone's 1080p recording.

I remember an interview where Petty said a newer song (American Dream Plan B) wasn't for radio or iTunes...it was for the band to have fun playing. And another where Dave Grohl talked about being so excited to play Honey Bee with Petty on SNL because it's the kind of songs a bunch of friends would get off to playing in a garage.

Another empty chair at the Wilbury's family dinners.

OORick
Intellectual Savior of the Masses

Posts 4267
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: Flyered Up

posted on 10-3-2017 at 07:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was 9/10ths of the way in bed, assuming Tom Petty was going to pull a Ric Flair on us.... panicky chatter that he's basically dead, followed by incredible rally.

Than, just around midnight, it's true, it's damn true: Tom Petty is no more.

Goalie hit most of my big notes. "Full Moon Fever" is the first ever CD I bought, after I got a CD player for my 8th grade graduation (80s pop just never really hit with me, it got worse as it went on and hit the pre-Nirvana 90s, and I still don't get it as "nostalgia" either; I was, sadly, more into my parents' nostalgia, like the Beatles and Simon&Garfunkel and Classic Rock In General). "American Girl" is one of the first cover songs I ever played in public. I was the only kid in my senior class to use Tom Petty as my high school yearbook quote ("There's something good, waiting down this road/I'm picking up, whatever is mine"), despite it being a lame-ass line from a song by that old "Mary Jane Song" guy who hung out with all those other old guys.

Well, time rules in my favor, bitches. And also like goalie, "Wildflowers" was an inexplicably big deal for me. It's not a great selling record, or anything, but it's the record that convinced me I had been right from the start. I missed "Wildflowers" when it came out, because I was too busy being all Nirvana and Rancid and stuff.... but about 10-12 years ago, me and my brother were hanging out, and Tom Petty came up. He asked if I had "Wildflowers" handy, and I didn't, because I did not consider it necessary; "Good to be King" was on a Greatest Hits, at that point.

Well, he burned it for me (on a CD, as CDs were still A Thing 12 years ago), and I kind of realized what a jackwagon I had been to not embrace it and endorse it when it was out. I even remembered that I was at a party when that Grohl-with-Petty SNL happened, and just sort of zoning out, because our Super Secret Inside Nirvana Newsgroup had learned it was a one-shot, and Dave was NOT becoming the real drummer of the Heartbreakers.

But yeah, "Honey Bee" is a great song. "Cabin Down Below," maybe even better. "You Wreck Me," and many many more. "Wildflowers" for the win.

Tom Petty always seemed like a utility to me: he'd just always be there. "The Last DJ" came out about 10 years ago or so, and genuinely stand on its own as a really good record, not a heritage act. You don't get many bands that are still making new good shit after 30 years.

I am sad tonight.

Rick

PS: if anyone out there likes a band called The Heartless Bastards, Tom Petty had a little bit to do with that, and in a very very small way, so did I. And so did a bar-top Triva-Tron Machine at the old Walnut Hills in Dayton, OH, circa the early 2000s. I don't expect you to treasure this knowledge quite the same way I do, but it's still part of the crazy way Tom Petty wove himself into the fabric of my life story in an incredibly rare fashion.

[Edited on 10-3-2017 by OORick]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top