The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (September 12, 2017)
OORick
Humanoid

Posts 3721
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: fOO'd

posted on 9-12-2017 at 11:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (September 12, 2017)

Tonight on SmackDown: three title matches, and a rare TV appearance by Vince McMahon... what more can you ask for, you greedy bastards?

Dubbed "Sin City SmackDown," tonight's show in Las Vegas is acting as a bit of a free-per-view highspot in the middle of a lengthy 7 week delay between SD PPVs... the Usos defending their tag titles against the New Day in a Sin City Streetfight stands to be tonight's stand-out match, given the added stip and the quality of preceding matches between the teams... Naomi is also receiving her obligatory rematch for the Women's Title, against Natalya, all while Carmella (and Ellsworth) lurks with the MitB Briefcase... and as a "make good," AJ Styles will defend his US Title against Tye Dillenger, making up for when Baron Corbin ruined Dillenger's previous attempt to answer the US Open Challenge (Corbin is now Styles' likely challenger at the next PPV)...

And on the non-wrestling side, Vince McMahon is showing up to deal with his son Shane... last week, Shane attacked Kevin Owens, and Owens response was to promise he would lawyer up and "own" SmackDown... as a band-aid, Vince suspended Shane from his GM duties, and said he would show up in person tonight to patch things up more permanently... nothing would please me more than to have Vince forced to make Kevin Owens the GM of SD, in exchange for Owens signing a waiver that prevents him from suing WWE, the McMahons, or any affiliated parties over anything to do with Shane...

I don't know how long you run with it, but it's a stone cold cinch that Kevin Owens enacting a hedonistic, hubris-laden, and hilarious agenda of shennanigans would make for quite a bit of entertaining TV... but in the end, the story is still heading towards Owens vs. Shane, and sooner than later...

The rest: Shinsuke Nakamura earned another shot at Jinder Mahal's WWE Title, by beating Randy Orton last week... Orton vs. Rusev may or may not still be a thing.... WGTT v2.0 (Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin) are just getting started, and Dolph Ziggler's testing out a soft reboot; both fresh acts could stand for a quickie segment on tonight's show, just to keep momentum rolling... and Breezango are always welcome to bring their hijinx to my TV, though some sense that we're close to revealing their mystery attackers from 17 months ago would be even more welcome...

And if you haven't been keeping up, the Mae Young Classic replaces "205 Live" tonight on the WWE Network, immediately following SD... in addition to the finals of the tournament (MMA's Shayna Baszler vs. Kairi Sane), other women from the field of 32 will be on hand to provide an additional undercard match or two... for more on this, be sure to check out our pre-existing thread!

That is all. End communication....

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7806
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 9-13-2017 at 01:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Owens/Ziggles alliance? That could be interesting.

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4130
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood: #MOOGA

posted on 9-13-2017 at 01:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Flyin' blind here. So did Vince come out with Punk yet or payoff that whole "Benoit killed his family" angle by showing up with the Crippler next to him? A/C-less, power-outaged, inebriated minds want to know!!!

NJ > Florida!
Sandy > Irma!
Springsteen > Tebow
DK > Janerd

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1504
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 9-13-2017 at 02:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This Ziggler promo is really hammering home how against using the word "wrestling" WWE is.

"At some point that bell rings and the PERFORMER has to COMPETE..."

"This SUPERSTAR can't hold a candle to my ATHLETIC ABILITY..."

His entire deal now is "all these gimmicks, and the fans' obsession with them, are dumb, wrestling is what matters and I'm the best at that," and yet he never says the word.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7806
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-13-2017 at 03:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good ending for a nondescript evening. Congrats to Vince for getting busted open the hard way. The only thing better would have been a pop-up powerbomb on Steph.

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6562
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-13-2017 at 03:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Owens 3:16 says sorry aboot that buddy!!!
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7806
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-13-2017 at 03:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice 'Murika moment too with the fan who yelled at Vince "call the president and have him (Owens) deported!".

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4130
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 9-13-2017 at 04:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So you're telling me I missed the greatest SD ever?

ETA: The Day The Canadians Stopped Saying I'm Soory.

[Edited on 9-13-2017 by janerd75]

NJ > Florida!
Sandy > Irma!
Springsteen > Tebow
DK > Janerd

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3533
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-13-2017 at 05:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Curious if this puts the Vince doesn't like Owens because Dunn buries him constantly rumours to rest... I mean a HITC match against Shane is in Vince's world a pretty big deal still, and for Vince to come out and take a beating really says something as they could have done other stuff... I mean even a Vince sighting is pretty rare these days, never mind getting busted open.

With Steph on hand I wonder if we get HHH poking his nose in there somewhere; and if this could spiral off into a bigger story down the line... a face Owens could still be pretty damned good, and he's front and centre enough about his kid, and Zoo's and even his path to the WWE that stuff like that would make for an easy enough grounds for a likeable dad going toe to toe with the evil "corporate" side of the WWE.

Man; I wish the WWE would turn Reigns... I know he'd then be cheered, but the whole real life fans versus Reigns bit would set him up so much as a mega heel that it would elevate guys like Owens facing him.

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 10012
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: #BROKEN

posted on 9-13-2017 at 06:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Man, that headbutt was brutal. Almost uncomfortably so.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy

Ultimate Finishing Move Showdown

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1338
Registered 12-6-2005
Location Long Island, New York

Mood: Relaxed

posted on 9-13-2017 at 06:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Say what you will about Vince, but the man has no issues in putting himself in situations like this to get talent over

The WWE: Where no one wins, unless you like Cena, in which case you are a sad little fanboy who will never get laid, but we are happy to take your money away-Moosehead Jack

"She is an estrogen molotov cocktail. It'd be in your best interest not to piss her off."- My thoughts on Firewoman

"Kurt Angle is like a living vortex of the surreal. On the off chance he's not doing, saying or thinking crazy things, people connected to him act crazy by association, caught in the gravitational pull of his insanity."- Ringout from FAN Forums

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3533
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-13-2017 at 06:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dude's 72; and you just know he probably told Owens backstage that if he went easy on him he'd be fired...
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7806
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-13-2017 at 06:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Backstage Vince yells out "I've got a new favourite Kevin! Let's beat up the old one!". And then Owens pins Dunn's arms behind his back while Vince starts punching Bukukky in the stomach as hard as he can.

[Edited on 9/13/2017 by Paddlefoot]

rranddm
rOOkie

Posts 34
Registered 1-27-2014
Location Stockton

Mood: Effluvious

posted on 9-13-2017 at 06:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Man, that was a squash on Vince. I'm willing to bet one of Shanes kids passes him the brass knucks because KO hurt popop.

"Just because it's futuristic, doesn't make it practical." - Crow T. Robot

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4130
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 9-13-2017 at 06:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Owens has the skill of a surgeon to pull off a nutter like that without breaking the Old Man's nose. And kudos to Vince for not flinching and taking the shot square. But holy shit, Kev, that aim. Hurricane Golly!

quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Backstage Vince yells out "I've got a new favourite Kevin! Let's beat up the old one!". And then Owens pins Dunn's arms behind his back while Vince starts punching Bukukky in the stomach as hard as he can.

CATA-FITE!!!

[Edited on 9-13-2017 by janerd75]

NJ > Florida!
Sandy > Irma!
Springsteen > Tebow
DK > Janerd

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7806
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 9-13-2017 at 06:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I want to work for WWE. Even for just a day and even if all that I get to do is sit there while Old Man Vince shoots elastic bands at my head from three feet away for eight hours straight.

Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2375
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: fugazi

posted on 9-13-2017 at 08:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
Man, that headbutt was brutal. Almost uncomfortably so.
My thoughts, in live-time.

Like, that was just an ugly ending. I 'get' it, but I'm past the point where I like seeing somebody's grandpa eat a Zinedine Frenchguy Headbutt. Then the extra beatings after that were even more disconcerting. I don't even like Vince that much! I just don't like seeing old people get beat up.

CCharger
The Great One

Posts 3655
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Covfefe

posted on 9-13-2017 at 08:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh, stop the pearl clutching.

Vince, even at 72, could kick the asses of the majority of posters on this board.

I thought the angle was outstanding.

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

"The powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned."
--- Stephen Miller, Trump senior White House advisor, Feb. 12, 2017

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 10012
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 9-13-2017 at 09:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger

Vince, even at 72, could kick the asses of the majority of posters on this board.

I also thought the angle was outstanding.

I'm not suggesting that Vince isn't tough and that's why he shouldn't take a legit headbutt. By all accounts Benoit was pretty tough. Shibata was pretty tough. Bryan was pretty tough. Being tough, however, doesn't mean that your brain is no longer vulnerable to damage from blunt force.

Again, I thought the segment was great. It made Owens seem like a total threat. He beat the hell out of the owner of the company in very convincing fashion. I just wince a bit seeing unprotected skull-bashing. That's all.

Caesar guy
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 84
Registered 1-19-2011
Location MS

Mood: happy to be alive

posted on 9-13-2017 at 09:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Paddlefoot, not sure if KO would have been able to pop up power bomb Steph in that outfit. The only thing that could pop up was already in my shorts doing so.

often bored

Caesar guy
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 84
Registered 1-19-2011
Location MS

Mood: happy to be alive

posted on 9-13-2017 at 09:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I know I recognize him, but the first guy out in the suit that was bald, who was that? First thought was Val Venus but the camera never stayed on him long enough for me to tell.

often bored

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 10012
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 9-13-2017 at 09:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Was it Adam Pearce?

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3533
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-13-2017 at 10:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caesar guy
I know I recognize him, but the first guy out in the suit that was bald, who was that? First thought was Val Venus but the camera never stayed on him long enough for me to tell.

Wasn't that Joey Mercury?

Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2375
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: fugazi

posted on 9-14-2017 at 12:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger

In my case, it's not "pearl clutching". For as much as I enjoy watching scripted pro-etcetc, I don't like seeing "old people get beat to shit" for the sake of a storyline, when there are other more creative ways to accomplish Heel Overness. It's the opposite of Foley's Cheap Heat gimmick. "Let's beat up on an old person/woman/old woman to make this guy EEEEEVIL". It's goddamn Old People In Fridges. Jesus. I know it's not going anywhere, this isn't Shakespeare, etc etc etc. Still don't have to like it.

CCharger
The Great One

Posts 3655
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Covfefe

posted on 9-14-2017 at 12:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
FFS, it's pro wrestling. Guys in wheel chairs get rolled off the stage. Guys in neck braces get piledriven. Women get powerbombed through tables. Guys get crucified.

Are we really going to get all upset when a healthy 72 year old - in amazing shape who could probably kick the asses of guys half his age - takes a stiffer than usual beatdown?

Also, I'd point out that Owens wasn't getting heat from beating up an "old guy". He was getting heat for beating up a legend. Same as if he was beating up Flair or Foley or even Austin.

I just think it's a silly thing to get upset about in the grand scheme of it.

As 80 year old Mae Young once told Bob Holly, "Bring it, motherfucker."

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

"The powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned."
--- Stephen Miller, Trump senior White House advisor, Feb. 12, 2017

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top