The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: JBL Leaving SmackDown! Live
bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6554
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-2-2017 at 02:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
JBL Leaving SmackDown! Live

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/jbl-announces-his-departure-wwe-smackdown-242111

quote:

"After much consideration, I will be stepping back my weekly role as Smackdown Announcer to dedicate more continuous time on the work I have done since 2010 with at risk kids and communities. My new schedule will allow me to continue to be a part of the WWE family and also continue my work that I feel is the most important thing in my life. I will continue my 20+ year relationship with WWE and will appear on such marquee shows as Tribute to the Troops, WrestleMania, amongst others."

Move Booker to SmackDown! Live, have Coke and Graves do RAW as a 2 man unit.

First 9
The Rowdy One

Posts 2659
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 9-2-2017 at 02:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
But then RAW won't have a token black guy.
GodEatGod
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1410
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 9-2-2017 at 02:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4114
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood: #MOOGA

posted on 9-2-2017 at 02:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie

Move Booker to SmackDown! Live, have Coke and Graves do RAW as a 2 man unit.

Fucking gat YES! finally! the WWE goes back to the tried and true formula to whut got them where they are today!!!! GOD WOO!

"It will happen when it happens and not a moment before." - Me

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Slick
And I am AWESOME

Posts 115
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood: jobberish

posted on 9-2-2017 at 03:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Highly doubt they go back to a 2 man team. That horse has left the stable. If you wheeeeeeellllllll

What about giving Renee Young a shot on Smackdown?

Ok I know it's not likely. But she was good in NXT & is always mentioned as someone who can land a job outside WWE at ESPN or Fox Sports.

CCharger
The Great One

Posts 3651
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Covfefe

posted on 9-2-2017 at 04:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Lita and JR will be available in a couple weeks.

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

"The powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned."
--- Stephen Miller, Trump senior White House advisor, Feb. 12, 2017

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 7974
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 9-2-2017 at 05:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe Mauro will come back to Smackdown, if there's nobody there to knock his lunch tray out of his hands.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3522
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-2-2017 at 06:39 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Regal would be my vote, although I have a feeling it would eventually just make me sad watching Vince break down his attempts to contribute to the story being told in the ring, or to genuinely explain the psychology of the moves as he constantly shouts in Regal's ear.

Realistically I'm down with Rene; she's been brought up in the WWE style of announcing, and with the emphasis on ladies being more prominent in the show it's about time they had a full time female announcer.

I kinda wonder if this was the WWE's call to drop JBL- kind of a we won't turf you right away from a full time schedule over Mauro, but just long enough later that it looks unrelated... not to sound too conspiracy minded.

Either way I'm a fan of the change; not because of any bias against JBL, but because a little freshness is never a bad thing, and the WWE should use this as an opportunity to genuinely change things up and make the brands sound different.

First 9
The Rowdy One

Posts 2659
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 9-4-2017 at 07:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Graves is replacing him for now.

Since they had months to prepare for JBL's departure, I assume he's the long term choice unless they're still working on an agreement with somebody else.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7781
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 9-5-2017 at 12:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
JBL is saying he's basically burnt out from the travel and want's to be at home more to work on his charities. The gossip is also that WWE is pissed off at him, not for the Mauro thing, but because for the last couple of months he's been showing up for SD on Tuesdays, instead of on Sundays when they all gather to work out the plots and scripts.

I'd like to see them give Renee a chance. Odds are that Vince will decide that Lawler should come back instead, which will totally suck. Jerry from a few years ago was still good most of the time but he's more than a half-step off his announcing game now. It wouldn't be a disaster but it sure wouldn't do the show any good either.

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

GodEatGod
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1410
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 9-5-2017 at 05:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've always wondered why Road Dogg's never been put in that position. He was such a natural talker and has the second generation thing and is tight with HHH. I know he's booking SD now, but JR announced plenty of times when he was on the booking committee. Maybe he just doesn't want it, but I always thought that was where he'd end up.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3522
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-5-2017 at 07:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Knowing how bad Vince is, and constantly having him in your ear has to be a major pause and really think about it moment for anyone interested in the announce desk.... as not only would you have to deal with getting yelled at for 2-3 hours a week while on air, it might be a quick way to see your overall company stock get lowered... as in Road Dogg wasn't what Vince wanted on the mic, so he must also be terrible at booking.... that kind of insane Vince logic.

I googled Michael Cole's Salary (so take it for what it's worth as is with all wrestling salary info) and the figure posted was $109k ... nothing to sneeze at, but for a guy with 20 years into being with a major company, and being the definitive voice of said company for like 10 or more years- you would think he'd be pulling in more than that... again, if that number is real.... although for working what... 64 (52 Raw, 12 PPV) days a year plus studio time for video games and other WWE projects I'd take $109k.

ETA: I read a couple of other sites, and a few list Cole's annual salary as being like $500k... that's more than a lot of lower card down sides are for talent, but again, voice of the company, long time employee... So yeah, who knows?

[Edited on 9-5-2017 by Flash]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7781
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 9-5-2017 at 07:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Either that or Road Dogg is smart enough not to put his own head in a vise to join in on the announcing. Must be bad enough some weeks with Vince flipping out during pre-show meetings and Bukukky Dunn running around like Grima Wormtongue in the background seeing what plans others have worked damn hard on that he can wreck just for laughs. Adding being yelled at by the boss for two hours straight over the headphones (which was part of the reason Mauro's meltdown, it wasn't just caused from being made a target by JBL) is probably just too much stress for most of the agents, producers, and other veterans who already know what it's like to work under Vince's direct supervision.

[Edited on 9/5/2017 by Paddlefoot]

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

First 9
The Rowdy One

Posts 2659
Registered 1-22-2013

posted on 9-5-2017 at 01:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bacn in 08 there was a huge fuzz about Adamle getting payed the same salary JR was at 300k so I don't think Cole is making anything less than 350 nowadays.
CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1719
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 9-5-2017 at 05:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll be honest, I am not a fan of JBL in commentary at all. I think he's corny, lame, and a total company shill in the worst way possible.

However, there was a time period from 2006-2007 where he was absolutely golden and easily WWE's best announcer.

Something happened between him stopping to come back as a wrestler and going back to commentary that fucked everything up. I have no idea what it was, but he just wasn't the same. Shame, too. For less than a year, he was extremely good on commentary.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 7974
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 9-5-2017 at 06:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
However, there was a time period from 2006-2007 where he was absolutely golden and easily WWE's best announcer.

Something happened between him stopping to come back as a wrestler and going back to commentary that fucked everything up. I have no idea what it was, but he just wasn't the same. Shame, too. For less than a year, he was extremely good on commentary.

Totally agree with all of this. He can still be really good, but ever since he came back full time after Lawler's heart attack, he would tend to take up too much time arguing with the other announcers, which would get annoying very fast.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3522
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-6-2017 at 03:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think the arguing with other announcers is pure Vince for some reason; I remember reading something about how when Coach was subbing in for King (during the whole Bischoff firing them and running with Snow and Coach... 2003 I want to say) Vince was constantly pushing Coach to try and bait JR into arguments...

You can also tell during some segments where someone with say something, and then like a minute later they'll repeat it to try and get a better reaction... the delay and pushing stupid debates over nothing screams Vince.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top