The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (August 29, 2017)
OORick
If There Was Ever a Time

Posts 3757
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: The Time is Right

posted on 8-29-2017 at 11:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (August 29, 2017)

Tonight on SmackDown: with no PPV obigations till October, Tuesday night will continue to be a big sandbox in which WWE can play around, without the bludgeoning immediacy of PPV-caliber feuds to service...

Of course, Shinsuke Nakamura getting another shot at WWE Champ Jinder Mahal inside Hell in a Cell at said PPV is all but a lock, so that will continue to be the one clear cut touchstone every week... last week, Shin easily dispatched both Singh Brothers in a handicap match, so a stepup in intensity would be called for... tonight, it sounds as if this will take the form of a Shinsuke/Orton vs. Mahal/Rusev tag match...

Also, Kevin Owens vs. Shane McMahon is now fully underway, although that may well be more of a slow burn than something that happens at HiaC... as Commish, Shane can take his time and throw all kinds of roadblocks at Owens, if that's something they want to do to delay the inevitable...

But the rest is pretty much all wide open for whatever experimentation and rejiggering you can imagine.... for tonight, that means two big things: (1) the tag title rematch between the Usos and the New Day is PROBABLY being done in order to bring their arc to a close (by New Day losing their final obligatory rematch, and possibly looking into singles agendas)... only way this changes would be if a knee injury to Eggsavier Woods over the weekend means they decide to wait to do said match.... and (2) AJ Styles is bringing back the US Title Open Challenge, which is a great way to generate an insta-feud out of nowhere, now that Owens is 100% done with title shots...

In lieu of any clear cut storyline hook with regards to the Women's Title, the entire division is jockeying for position: Naomi's the still viable ex-champ, Lana is re-inventing Tamina, Carmellsworth is lurking and ready to pounce with the MitB contract, and Charlotte is instantly relevant the very second she returns to TV after her dad's health scare...

Shelton Benjamin returns to action tonight to jumpstart The World's Greatest Tag Team v2.0, which is great in a couple of ways.... not only as a call-back to 2004, but as a call-back to 2015, and the amusing saga of Chad Gable being an enthusiastic and obnoxious twit towards Jason Jordan as part of their courting process... American Alpha showing up on SD, fully formed, missed out on showing that goofy charisma of Gable's, and now, this is a chance for him to re-win-over a different partner (and in so doing, win over the non-NXT fans in a way that AA never quite did)...

You've also got Dolph Ziggler promising some kind of soft reboot to his gimmick, in which he claims he's gonna give the fans what they want: singing, jokes, prancing around like an idiot, pretty much 90% of what WWE is putting on TV anymore... and certainly no serious wrestling... could be interesting.... with The Impressive Pelvis Wesley crossing over onto RAW last night, a brief cameo by Nikki Lee Styxx might not be out of the question....

And you've got Bobby Roode on the main roster, probably with a rocketpack strapped to his back, in need of a compelling first feud (Sami Zayn, anyone?).... and you've got some new tag team showing up and taking responsiblity for attacking Breezango, one of these days.... and you've got the idea: lots of new directions and fresh material, which should make for some fun shows...

That is all. End communication....

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section
Member Is Online

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 8-30-2017 at 12:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
In lieu of any clear cut storyline hook with regards to the Women's Title, the entire division is jockeying for position: Naomi's the still viable ex-champ, Lana is re-inventing Tamina, Carmellsworth is lurking and ready to pounce with the MitB contract, and Charlotte is instantly relevant the very second she returns to TV after her dad's health scare...

Wow, no mention of Becky. Even Teh Rick is burying her now.

Oh my god, they've shot Cabbagehead!

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4344
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood: Cabbage Head

posted on 8-30-2017 at 12:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Get out of the ring, Ethnic!

ETA: I somehow doubt Jinder wasn't treated well at any hotel he checked into in the U.S.

Also, for joke insurance purposes----->

ETA2: Swear to Golly! Kevin Owens better not get in on this Big Guy Gets In Shape trend like Show and Rusev.

[Edited on 8-30-2017 by janerd75]

Originally posted by DKBroiler
She looks so different when not in character as a jizz dartboard. What an amazing performer on so many levels.
Side note, anyone else think her finisher should be known as Paige’s Stuck Together?

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 8-30-2017 at 12:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Going by that leopard seal smile Shelton just gave to Gable I'm going to assume that something bad will happen to the l'il fella before too long.

[Edited on 8/30/2017 by Paddlefoot]

Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2511
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Biscuit butt

posted on 8-30-2017 at 12:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jobber fight!! JOBBER FIGHT!!!!

(ETA to clarify: Cabron Vs Mr. Tenfect)

[Edited on 8-30-2017 by Count Zero]

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4344
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 8-30-2017 at 12:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Another great match from A.J., Josh! After the break we're back with Bobby Roode on SDTNA!

ETA: And he's facing Mike Kanellis, no less! LOLTNAGFW!

She looks so different when not in character as a jizz dartboard. What an amazing performer on so many levels.
Side note, anyone else think her finisher should be known as Paige’s Stuck Together?

Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2511
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 8-30-2017 at 12:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
Another great match from A.J., Josh! After the break we're back with Bobby Roode on SDTNA!
Bobby Roode vs Mike Bennett ... and WHAT IS JBL DOING IN THE SMACK ZONE TOM RICHARDS?

(You beat me to it, so that's the best I got.)

"It's a WWE tradition, to do something un-right." --Paddlefoot

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 8-30-2017 at 12:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Moar Boar sez MOAR Maria-butt or GTFO!

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4344
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 8-30-2017 at 12:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Moar Boar sez MOAR Maria-butt or GTFO!

Frontbutt...

Backbutt...

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 8-30-2017 at 01:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hypnosis. Golly!

Hey, speaking of seizures, which theme is more likely to cause one? Lana's or Aiden English's?

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4344
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 8-30-2017 at 01:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Hypnosis. Golly!

Hey, speaking of seizures, which theme is more likely to cause one? Lana's or Aiden English's?

I had no idea what Englisheses theme music even was until I felt my extremities started to go numb when I finally heard it.

ETA: Lol at Dolph calling Finn a charisma vacuum. Good luck with your new hyper-bitter gimmick, Mr. Zigglesworth!

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 8-30-2017 at 01:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Black light? Two partners on the same.....page? This is getting kind of kinky.

Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2511
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 8-30-2017 at 01:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fandango putting sunglasses on over his sunglasses, and then another pair in his shirt... That was priceless.

"It's a WWE tradition, to do something un-right." --Paddlefoot

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 8-30-2017 at 01:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They'll owe Buff Bagwell royalties for using his picture tonight.

Il Palazzo
Showstopper

Posts 624
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 8-30-2017 at 02:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Screw you Randy, no one wants to end the night listening to your theme.

You did it, Nibbles. Now chew through my ball sack.

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4344
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 8-30-2017 at 02:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can't imagine what Randall and Shinsky were just talking about in the ring immediately after the match considering neither of them speak English.

GodEatGod
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1556
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-30-2017 at 02:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I literally just finished watching this show and barely remember it.

I really love Breezango. And it was cool to see Shelton Benjamin wrestle again - I hope he answers the open challenge some week so I can watch him and AJ wrestle

Yeah, that's all I got.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 8-30-2017 at 02:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Vintage squarehead! Ha ha, Maggle!

Carmella/Nattie/Naomi tease and a Tamina squash, all in front of a dead crowd? Yeah, the ladies got ripped off big tonight.

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1664
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 8-30-2017 at 02:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nothing says "Ravishing Revolution" better than Tamina. Don't know if its her stunning looks or her unmatched in ring skills? Let the crickets in the audience decide.

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 7997
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 8-30-2017 at 04:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Lloyd Wright
Nothing says "Ravishing Revolution" better than Tamina. Don't know if its her stunning looks or her unmatched in ring skills? Let the crickets in the audience decide.

This made me fucking LOL for real.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2511
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 8-30-2017 at 08:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Lana is.. Um... What actually worked? That Ravishing Russian thing? Okay. Tamina isn't Russian, or Bulgarian... Or.. really, she's pretty American. So. Um. Oh! Women's Revolution! We have that trademarked, right? RAVISHING REVOLUTION!!!!! Somebody buy me a banana. *Writer Monkey cheers!*""
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6559
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-30-2017 at 09:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Some random thoughts on last night's Smackdown:

-I liked Orton hitting the RKO on Nakamura to close out the show, as it adds a little spice to their match next week. Hell, since Smackdown doesn't have a PPV until October, I feel like they could have milked Orton/Nakamura for another week or two as a Free Per View match.

-I'm intrigued by what Ziggler's currently doing. Though since this is the WWE, I'm not really getting my hopes up that it's going to lead to anything interesting, but hey, at least the guy got back on TV.

-So I guess they're rolling with Bobby Roode as a face after his victories over English and Kanellis? I'm interested to see who his first proper feud is going to be with.

-AJ Styles gets to feud with Baron Corbin now? Yay.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

GodEatGod
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1556
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-31-2017 at 01:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Some random thoughts on last night's Smackdown:

-I'm intrigued by what Ziggler's currently doing. Though since this is the WWE, I'm not really getting my hopes up that it's going to lead to anything interesting, but hey, at least the guy got back on TV.

-So I guess they're rolling with Bobby Roode as a face after his victories over English and Kanellis? I'm interested to see who his first proper feud is going to be with.

I feel like these two things are the answers to one another. Roode's getting pops in part because of his awesome entrance and he has the blingy robe, all the shit that Ziggler's bitching about. And Ziggler's been the traditional jobber to the stars for new NXT guys from Corbin to Nakamura.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6559
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-31-2017 at 02:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
I feel like these two things are the answers to one another. Roode's getting pops in part because of his awesome entrance and he has the blingy robe, all the shit that Ziggler's bitching about. And Ziggler's been the traditional jobber to the stars for new NXT guys from Corbin to Nakamura.

Funnily enough, the thought of Ziggler/Roode did cross my mind. But they just ran almost the exact same storyline with Ziggler/Nakamura, so I'm thinking the Ziggler stuff may be leading to something different (though I guess it wouldn't shock me if we do get Ziggler/Roode and I'd actually be pretty okay with that).

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top