The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (August 22, 2017)
OORick
Humanoid

Posts 3717
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: fOO'd

posted on 8-23-2017 at 12:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: SmackDown (August 22, 2017)

Tonight on SmackDown: WWE's blue brand gets to play around a little bit, as they have a full 7 weeks before they are responsible for any PPV Material... this is the same lengthy break they had immediately after WM, and they spun it into a nice little run of solid episodic TV where they tried some new things (some good, like Breezango's Fashion Files, some not so much, like Jinder Mahal as #1 Contender), and things just generally seemed looser and fresher...

The second weekend of October is, however, Hell in a Cell, and it would seem pretty much perfect a location for a Singh-Free WWE Title Rematch between Jinder and Shinsuke Nakamura... already, WWE has confirmed that tonight's SD will feature Shin taking on both Singh Brothers in a handicap match, as a means of advancing that overall storyline...

But the overwhelming majority of the rest of the show is wide open... both the New Day and Naomi will be due title rematches, but 7 weeks is a LOOOOONNNNGG time to try to stretch things out for the Obligatory Type of rematch... in the case of the tag division, I have a sense that the New Day got a cup of coffee with the belts to cement their legacy, but there might be plans afoot to finally break them up... in the case of the women's division, they've been so busy building up everyone as a threat (Tamina now has Lana as her "brains," Carmella has the briefcase, Naomi is the very capable ex-champ, and Charlotte is Charlotte whenever she's able to return; not to mention the audience is always ready to get behind Becky) that it seems like open season on Nattie...

Kevin Owens has almost certainly used up his US Title shots, and is moving into a wholly other feud with Shane McMahon... whether AJ Styles continues to be a part of that for a little bit, or not, he'll need a new #1 Contender in 7 weeks, too...

Corbin is directionless as SD enters a Cena-less autumn (and may be in the dog house, to boot)... Orton and Rusev are pretty much done, you'd think, especially since they never really had any point "feuding" to begin with, and need no stuff to do... same with Sami Zayn and Mike Kanellis.... Dolph Ziggler, Luke Harper, and Erick Rowan are all just sitting around waiting for something worth their whiles... there definitely seems to be a sense that SD wants to get Chad Gable going, be it as a single, or finding a new tag partner... and while Breezango definitely have an on-going storyline, we don't actually know who it's against, so whenever that is revealed, it'll be like a new story...

With respect to SD losing Cena, you should be ready for some returns or additions to the roster.... Chris Jericho coming back on a regular basis is something that's supposed to happen at some point this fall, and Bobby Roode is all but a lock to get called up very soon, too (tonight, in front of the smark-friendly Brooklyn crowd, would be ideal for maximum reaction).... to a lesser extent, Shelton Benjamin is also signed and ready to go (and could be a tag partner for Chad Gable, if you want to go the WGTT 2.0 route), and the Authors of Pain dropped the NXT Tag Titles this weekend, and don't seem like there's a whole lot else they can learn down there (they would be candidates for Breezango's attackers, too)...

Sorry for the lateness in getting this posted; it was another big day for the ol' Kitchen Remodel (yes, it HAS been 12 weeks, thanks for asking! no, I never thought it would turn into this big a pain in the ass!) and I only just now got a free moment...

That is all. End communication....

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
First 9
The Rowdy One

Posts 2659
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-23-2017 at 12:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm dreading the thought of what WWE will do with the lost in the shuffle Orton. There's nothing interesting that you could attach to him. The only thing I can think of is a friendly rivalry with AJ that turns nasty when Orton can't beat him.

Besides that, maybe putting over Bobby Roode?

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6554
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-23-2017 at 01:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kevin Owens is 100% correct. That is just brilliant mic work.
janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4114
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood: #MOOGA

posted on 8-23-2017 at 01:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Chances are good Carmella cashes in tonight, yes? Perfect set up with the tag match betwixt her/Nattie vs. Bex/Naomi.

"It will happen when it happens and not a moment before." - Me

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 7817
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-23-2017 at 01:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
I'm dreading the thought of what WWE will do with the lost in the shuffle Orton. There's nothing interesting that you could attach to him. The only thing I can think of is a friendly rivalry with AJ that turns nasty when Orton can't beat him.

He can join Luke Harper on the "creative has nothing to do for me" bench.

Don't Mess With Texas

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4114
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 8-23-2017 at 01:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm curious as to when Elias will walk with Aiden Engli.....BOBBY ROOOOOODE!!!!!!

Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2366
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: fugazi

posted on 8-23-2017 at 01:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Entrance Known as GLORIOUS~!

I'm not a super Bobby Roode freak (I don't hate him either), but that was a fantastic use of his debut. Screw you, Aiden Singlish.

ETAwesome: Heh. JBL even said "English, get to the pay window and get yourself some BEER MONEY", or something very much to that effect.

[Edited on 8-23-2017 by Count Zero]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7781
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 8-23-2017 at 01:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Beer Money shoutout by JBL! wOOt!

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4114
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 8-23-2017 at 01:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My favorite part of the Bobby Roode debut match on SD is the majority of it being shown with no sound next to a commercial with something called a Puppy Monkey Baby.

ETA: Holy schnikes R-Pac is lookin' good tonight.

[Edited on 8-23-2017 by janerd75]

Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2366
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 8-23-2017 at 01:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
YOU MEAN PUPPYMONKEYBABY IS BACK?????

Holy crap, that's the real big news here. You people are lucky with your side-by-side TV broadcasting technology. Maybe when our Techskimo figures out which button to push, we Canadia folk can enjoy the goods too.

I hope BobbyRoo gets the AJ Styles treatment, and not the Austin Ares treatment. He kind of has a sort of Nouveau-Ric Flair thing, with the GLORIOUS walk & robe, and a Hogan Orange thing. Those two things taste great together.

ETA: OH YES!! AIN'T NO STOPPING HIM NAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

etagain: OH yeah! The Hype Dudes! ARMBAR Trophy winner Mojo's still gainfully employed!

[Edited on 8-23-2017 by Count Zero]

"It's a WWE tradition, to do something un-right." --Paddlefoot

ThePunisher
The Great One

Posts 3298
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-23-2017 at 01:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Shelton Benjamin is much bigger than I remember.

Wait 'Til Next Year - The best baseball podcast on the 'Net!

Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2366
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 8-23-2017 at 01:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If Shelton can stay healthy until the Rumble, I can't wait to see what him & Kofi cook up. Those two trying to out-elimination-spot each other? Glorious.

"It's a WWE tradition, to do something un-right." --Paddlefoot

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7781
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 8-23-2017 at 02:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Shinsuke's good vibration noises sounded almost identical to Bin Laden In A Blender.

Carmella's new gear makes me happy in all the right places.

[Edited on 8/23/2017 by Paddlefoot]

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

lz4005
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1527
Registered 11-12-2003
Member Is Online

Mood: Oolitic

posted on 8-23-2017 at 02:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Shinsuke's good vibration noises sounded almost identical to Bin Laden In A Blender.

Carmella's new gear makes me happy in all the right places.

[Edited on 8/23/2017 by Paddlefoot]

You have a thing for 1/4" thick pantyhose?

Meanwhile, I can't get over how Tamina looks like a taller version of one of the Black Eyed Peas.

Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2366
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 8-23-2017 at 03:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I liked Cawmelluh's new outfit too, but yeah... this whole "Hooter hose" thing has to die in a fire, damn. Also, now that I have seen Tamina as a Black Eyed Pea, I can't Unsee it. I'm lucky it's a pretty funny visual.

And they -finally- found a good role for Boring Carebear: Referee.

First 9
The Rowdy One

Posts 2659
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-23-2017 at 05:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Holy shit, Enzo's a Cruiserweight now.

Ands he's already being positioned to challenge Neville?

[Edited on 8-23-2017 by First 9]

Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 796
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 8-23-2017 at 08:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Continue walking!"

HAH. Man Owens is the most sympathetic bully I've ever seen. He has pathos and logic and competence all working to gain him sympathy.

"I'm a team player."

royberto
Showstopper

Posts 669
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 8-23-2017 at 07:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThePunisher
Nah Chad Gable is just that damn small.

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1215
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 8-24-2017 at 06:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by royberto
quote:
Originally posted by ThePunisher
Nah Chad Gable is just that damn small.

Shelton is like 6'2. Bryan and Gable can't be more than 5'9. He looked like a god damn giant compared to them though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top