The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The Defenders
nOOb
The Man

Posts 6910
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 8-18-2017 at 08:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Defenders

I completely forgot this was happening today, or even this month, but it's here and available for viewing.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6530
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 8-18-2017 at 09:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Haven't finished season 2 of Daredevil, or season 1 of Luke Cage. Haven't started Iron Fist yet.

But I loved Jessica Jones.

Might have to skip the others and go straight for this.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7314
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-19-2017 at 12:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Daredevil 2 and Iron Fist might be considered required viewing for this as they tell a lot of the backstory of the Defenders villain side of the equation.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
tat2djunk
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 91
Registered 7-2-2007
Location Monaca, PA

Mood:

posted on 8-19-2017 at 09:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I couldn't sleep so I sat through all 8 episodes. I came away from the show feeling very underwhelmed. I thought maybe it was just me being tired but some of the reviews I've read were more or less the same as how I felt.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6378
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-19-2017 at 10:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I loved the first two seasons of Daredevil and enjoyed Jessica Jones as well, but I think I just kind of got burned out on the Marvel Netflix stuff after that. My wife and I got like three episodes into Luke Cage before tuning out and we never even started on Iron Fist.

I do want to watch The Defenders at some point, but the thought of having to put in 23 hours worth of Luke Cage/Iron Fist episodes to get all caught up isn't exactly appealing to me.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4012
Registered 1-28-2013
Member Is Online

Mood: #MOOGA

posted on 8-19-2017 at 11:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
Daredevil 2 and Iron Fist might be considered required viewing for this as they tell a lot of the backstory of the Defenders villain side of the equation.

Aw crap, I gotta get through the Iron Fist stuff too? I kinda bailed on Marvel Netflix stuff when it came to Luke Cage and Iron Fist. I heard the reviews for Cage were good until about midway through when apparently the 'cool' villain got got and was replaced by a 'dud' villain and the show went south from there. I pretty much caught up with what I need to know watching youtube snippets though.

On Iron Fist, however, I heard it was tepid through and through so I didn't even bother. I've only seen brief tidbits of Finn Jones as Iron Fist so as I was watching the beginning of the Defenders I kept wondering what I was missing and who that mediocre asshole running around in the sewer was and then his fist lit up. I'll stick it out for DD and Cage but I suppose I'll have to do some Hand jiving to figure out what they're up to.

Also, was Sigourney Weaver in Iron Fist or am I supposed to figure out why Madame Gao is subservient to her on my own?

I'm finding that Marvel Netflix seems to have hit a quality wall and lost a large bit of goodwill from fans. I know I'm starting to peter out on them, at least. I understand the momentum and vision for these shows can get all screwy when they change showrunners out, but I think there's a bigger elephant in the room as far as why my interest is flagging. If there's only going to be the barest of nods to the MCU and no real chance we'll see Netflix Marvel and the greater MCU interacting, then what's the point? If the Big Three of Daredevil, Kingpin, and Punisher don't get to be involved with Cap, Iron Man, and especially Spidey, then basically all the Netflix shows are just superpowered versions of NYPD Blue and Law & Order. Which is fine, because I would love to see Andy Sipowicz in a short-sleeved, button-down skull shirt or Elliot Stabler punching pedophiles through walls.

But still, it waters down my enjoyment and expectations immensely knowing I'll never hear Chris Evans' character popping into the frame of a righteous slaughter with but one bloodied former Marine left standing and telling Jon Bernthal's character, "It's alright son, you can stand down now."

"It will happen when it happens and not a moment before." - Me

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7314
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2017 at 01:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Defenders was so much more than Meh.

But let me go back and counter some of the complaints I've seen.

Luke Cage did lose the better villain a bit more than halfway through and the 2nd wasn't as good but the show as a whole was fantastic. It's probably the 3rd best of the individual seasons and with how good Daredevil 1 and Jessica Jones was, that's not bad at all.

Iron Fist...it wasn't good, but it's also nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews made it seem. It's almost a case of the critics getting their shots in before the show even fully aired and tainting the viewing audience. It's the worst of the individual seasons but to me that's not a bad thing at all considering how much I enjoyed the previous 4 seasons.

Now, the reason it might be beneficial to watch Iron Fist is to see the night and day difference in the character between his individual season and the Defenders season. He works so much better playing off Luke, Jess, and Matt. His fighting got better as he actually had time to train and rehearse. And the writing for the character was so much better as they played a lot of his mystical stuff for laughs to the other characters.

It's funny, the biggest complaint I've had of the individual seasons has been 13 episodes has been too long and my biggest nitpick of Defenders is 8 felt too short. But I'll take that over it feeling like there was too much filler.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7615
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 8-20-2017 at 01:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75If the Big Three of Daredevil, Kingpin, and Punisher don't get to be involved with Cap, Iron Man, and especially Spidey, then basically all the Netflix shows are just superpowered versions of NYPD Blue and Law & Order. Which is fine, because I would love to see Andy Sipowicz in a short-sleeved, button-down skull shirt or Elliot Stabler punching pedophiles through walls.

But still, it waters down my enjoyment and expectations immensely knowing I'll never hear Chris Evans' character popping into the frame of a righteous slaughter with but one bloodied former Marine left standing and telling Jon Bernthal's character, "It's alright son, you can stand down now."

IMO the best Punisher comic stories ever were when he was removed altogether from the MCU when Frank was made (literally) in Vietnam by an un-named universal entity into the ultimate agent of righteous and violent justice. It was Frank against the scum, with just old-school Nick Fury and the cops and military guys fitting in every once in a while as allies or enemies depending on the story arc. Ditto with John Constantine at DC, who is completely uninteresting when put into stories with the long-underwear clowns. I know they can't, and wouldn't, do it that way at Netflix because it's just too popular to have everything within the super-powered crowd. I keep in mind though that if they're going to go in that direction then they need superior directing and writing, like Legion has with Noah "Fargo" Hawley. If the Netflix MCU heroes are just more of the same that's already seen on Agents of SHIELD or the DC heroes on the CW then there's nothing really unique about what they're doing and the point of watching it for anyone who isn't a mega-nerd becomes increasingly obscured.

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6378
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-20-2017 at 07:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
If there's only going to be the barest of nods to the MCU and no real chance we'll see Netflix Marvel and the greater MCU interacting, then what's the point? If the Big Three of Daredevil, Kingpin, and Punisher don't get to be involved with Cap, Iron Man, and especially Spidey, then basically all the Netflix shows are just superpowered versions of NYPD Blue and Law & Order.

When the first season of Daredevil came out, I was one of the few complaining about how disconnected and different it felt from the MCU movies, and that's still an issue for me with the Netflix stuff. I mean, Guardians Of The Galaxy and Daredevil technically exist in the same universe, but could you imagine Rocket Racoon or Drax guest-starring in an episode of Daredevil? And I get that not every single character is going to cross over with each other, but even guys like Iron Man or Ant-Man would feel too out of place and "comic book-y" if they were to show up in the the grim and gritty Netflix-verse.

quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
It's funny, the biggest complaint I've had of the individual seasons has been 13 episodes has been too long and my biggest nitpick of Defenders is 8 felt too short. But I'll take that over it feeling like there was too much filler.

I definitely agree with you that 13 episodes is just too long for each season and I think it's one of the main reasons I got burned out after Daredevil Season 2. I mean, if one wanted to watch every season of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist before watching The Defenders, that would require a 65-hour commitment. Hell, you could watch all 16 MCU movies in almost half of that time.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

First 9
The Rowdy One

Posts 2514
Registered 1-22-2013
Member Is Online

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 8-20-2017 at 10:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Half-way through the Defenders and I'm enjoying it without having watched Luke Cage and Iron Fist.

There's an immense amount of exposition through the first two episodes(focused on Iron Fist) so I think they were counting on some viewers not watching that. After catching us up, episode 3 and 4 really ramp it up in the action. I'm looking forward to the next 4 episodes.

Only thing I don't like so far is all the Hand verbal fellating. They were the most underwhelming parts of Daredevil's seasons and all the ''so ancient, so powerful you guys!'' stuff is just eye-rolling.

[Edited on 8-20-2017 by First 9]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top