The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Philosiphizin
Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1012
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

Mood: GodDamnWOOO

posted on 8-11-2017 at 07:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Philosiphizin

I was having an argument with my buddy the other day about the following:

When he was in university (college), one of his professors fucked up one of his grades. Let's assume that there is no debate on this - the metaphysical truth is that his grade "should have been" A, not D+ (because he missed the exam due to illness and the exam shouldn't have counted - instead it counted as a grade of zero). Again, let's assume that there is no question that his professor WOULD change it and agrees his "real" grade is A, but just never did.

My question is, do you think it is morally acceptable for him to alter his grade on his transcript when submitting it to employers/anyone else? Is he "right" to show what employers "want" - that is, the truth and not necessarily what the school said?

The main issue is whether an individual has the moral right to provide the truth, even if it involves screwing with the system on which decisions are based. Thoughts?

"The North Cafeteria, named after Admiral William North, is located in the western portion of East Hall, gateway to the western half of North Hall, which is named, not after William North, but for its position above the South Wall. It is the most contested and confusing battlefield on Greendale’s campus, next to the English Memorial Spanish Center, named after English Memorial, a Portuguese sailor that discovered Greendale while looking for a fountain that cured syphilis."

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8973
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 8-11-2017 at 08:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

Don't Mess With Texas

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10874
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 8-11-2017 at 09:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
1) In an honourable world the best thing to do would be to talk to the professor and see if he can take the test just to get it on the books that it's been completed as required; even if it's too late to add the test results to the overall grade at least your buddy and the prof can be satisfied that the requirement has been met
2) As this is not an honourable world, and is actually one falling deeper and deeper into all kinds of depravity with every passing day, fudging a transcript to an A from a D is pretty small on the scale of sins; odds are your friend is going to end up working, as almost all the rest of us do, for employers whose pathologies run the gamut of human crapulence from tax cheaters to sexual harassers to money launderers to workplace bullys to active psychopath and every other piece of shit trait any human with power in their hands usually puts on display

Overall, tell him not to worry about the transcript. His real problems in life, as he starts his existence as a worker unit, are just beginning and he won't have much time anymore to dwell over minutia like a fudged grade. Wasting his time worrying about honour will just end up mentally hand-cuffing him and increase his likelihood of being victimized horribly by all the real monsters that are out there waiting for the fresh meat to walk by them.

Regards,

A. Misanthrope

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6273
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Mans n' Cans™

posted on 8-11-2017 at 09:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is this one of those, "Who would you eat first if you were stranded on a desert island?" or "Are you or are you not currently building a time machine to travel to the past in order to fuck your own mother?" philosophical scenarios that have nothing to do with why my friends won't invite me out on their boat or why there are frantically and crudely drawn diagrams of flux capacitors adorning my room's walls, floor, bedding, and windows?

I'd tell him to man up and take the D. We all have to, eventually.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10874
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 8-11-2017 at 09:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Now that's my kind of abandoned hospital.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1012
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

posted on 8-11-2017 at 10:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I guess I should have copy-pasted a wrestling related post from 11 years ago for Crunk to ignore, but hey at least Matte got to do some modding

"The North Cafeteria, named after Admiral William North, is located in the western portion of East Hall, gateway to the western half of North Hall, which is named, not after William North, but for its position above the South Wall. It is the most contested and confusing battlefield on Greendale’s campus, next to the English Memorial Spanish Center, named after English Memorial, a Portuguese sailor that discovered Greendale while looking for a fountain that cured syphilis."

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 8-12-2017 at 07:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm still trying to figure out how an exam that wasn't taken shouldn't count as a zero.

I can see where there maybe should have been an opportunity to take it late, but not taken at all? Yeah, zero.

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6273
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Mans n' Cans™

posted on 8-12-2017 at 11:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh and juuuust one more thing, what kind of job is he applying for? If it is or eventually will be a position where foreknowledge of said grade-altering could eventually end his career, then I'd think at least discussing/showing the chain of events that led to a 'D' grade in an otherwise successful takening of the class that had him-her-s/him at an 'A' otherwise, would be a valid 'honesty is the best policy' gesture. But if they're applying for a position with an upper ceiling of Senior Fry Cook and Condiment Bottle Refiller, then I'd say "Fuck it, Dude", agree with Thom and...

Moar info, pls as I've only worked one T-Gif into this thread and that's not nearly enough to meet quota for this month.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8317
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 8-13-2017 at 12:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Columbo

When he was in university (college), one of his professors fucked up one of his grades. Let's assume that there is no debate on this - the metaphysical truth is that his grade "should have been" A, not D+ (because he missed the exam due to illness and the exam shouldn't have counted - instead it counted as a grade of zero). Again, let's assume that there is no question that his professor WOULD change it and agrees his "real" grade is A, but just never did.

My question is, do you think it is morally acceptable for him to alter his grade on his transcript when submitting it to employers/anyone else? Is he "right" to show what employers "want" - that is, the truth and not necessarily what the school said?

The main issue is whether an individual has the moral right to provide the truth, even if it involves screwing with the system on which decisions are based. Thoughts?

Who cares? She looks like a horse.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1012
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

posted on 8-13-2017 at 02:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
quote:
Originally posted by Columbo

Who cares? She looks like a horse.

^^^^
This is the correct answer.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3279
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 8-14-2017 at 03:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

Are we sure -this- isn't the right answer?

"At this point Brock is so bulletproof, they could fucking crucify him and he would kick out before the third day." -- ulsterphil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top