The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WWE Mae Young Classic
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12570
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 9-2-2017 at 05:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
MAYBE SPOILERS AHEAD

I'm all caught up and overall I thought the first round was a perfectly adequate four hours of wrestling with a few really good matches. Piper Niven vs. Santana Garrett and Kairi Sane vs. Tessa Blanchard in particular were very good.

I think Sane, Blanchard, Niven, Garrett, Dakota Kai, Candice LeRay, Biance BelAir, Jazzy Gabert, and Toni Storm all came off as can't miss prospects that all have main roster star potential. I know Lacey Evans has a good story and I won't deny her ring presence but I just don't care for her, and I wasn't especially impressed with Mia Yim or Marti Belle, though I'm certainly willing to be proved wrong. Nobody else really struck me as particularly memorable.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

BC
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1792
Registered 3-30-2002
Location in the bush

Mood: Blessed be

posted on 9-2-2017 at 08:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sarah Logan was awesome

"Before you say anything, please remember that I'm holding an ax" - Sherlock Holmes

HA HA HA Not in my house! HA HA HA no no no HA HA not today! HA HA HA! - Dikembe Mutumbo

rranddm
rOOkie

Posts 33
Registered 1-27-2014
Location Stockton

Mood: Effluvious

posted on 9-3-2017 at 02:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
At least two of those women have better spears than Reboo. And I saw a superman punch that looked so much better without the stupid cocking, Also, everyone on the main roster could take pointers on how to make chokes and submissions believable.
DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7328
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 9-3-2017 at 03:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kay Lee Ray and Rhea Ripley are both potential solid hands as well. Savoy as well.

And they are gonna make Baszler a star no matter what, though I think she's shown enough in her short career that she can be really good.

Deeb and Martinez as vets might have a place as well.

I do hope when they get to the big final show and if she's in ring shape, they do something with Del Rey. Even if it is just a tag team match with people she's comfortable working with.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 9991
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: #BROKEN

posted on 9-3-2017 at 07:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Some fun matches in the first round. Also, some not-so-fun matches.

Kairi vs. Tessa was the obvious show-stealer. Sarah Logan vs. Mia Yim was great. Zeda vs. Baszler should have had more time; it was good while it lasted. Lot of standout names: Belair, Kai, Storm...

And she's not polished, but there's something I really like about Taynara Conti and I'm not sure what it is.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy

Ultimate Finishing Move Showdown

BC
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1792
Registered 3-30-2002
Location in the bush

Mood: Blessed be

posted on 9-3-2017 at 09:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte

And she's not polished, but there's something I really like about Taynara Conti and I'm not sure what it is.

Her "assets"?

"Before you say anything, please remember that I'm holding an ax" - Sherlock Holmes

HA HA HA Not in my house! HA HA HA no no no HA HA not today! HA HA HA! - Dikembe Mutumbo

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7781
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 9-3-2017 at 09:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Is she really a boy?

[img]girlcockgifgoeshere[/img]

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

SpiNNeR72
Showstopper

Posts 683
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 9-4-2017 at 01:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Tessa Blanchard was the Cedric Alexander of the first round, she did her job perfectly. Her match with Sane was perfect until the overlong elbow tease at the finish, I was really hoping Blanchard would kick out and force a quick elbow to end it.

Niven is the other standout for me. A build to he taking on Nia Jax way down the line could be great.

OORick
Humanoid

Posts 3717
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: fOO'd

posted on 9-6-2017 at 05:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nah, Toni Storm is the Cedric Alexander of this tourney.

WWE had a problem with this one, since it would be hard to book a 16 women "invitational" where all the first round matches would be good, and WWE went and booked a 32 women tourney. So this was a field with a whole lot of "Yeah, we know you're good, and that's why they booked you to make somebody else look good" and "Yeah, you have no business having a match over 5 mintues at this point."

Toni Storm is, by far, the one who moved my needle the most. She has some rep and footage, but there was no way I knew she'd come in and demand attention quite like she did. It's amazing she's only 21 (by contrast, Rhea Ripley is all kinds of Blue Chip, but her performance in this tourney gives us an idea of how good she could be in 3-4 years, and is not a testament to how good she is now).

[Semi-related: Piper Niven was a big boon to the tourney, but she was one of those hired guns, not under WWE consideration. That said, I kind of hope that Nia and Alexa were watching Piper vs. Toni, because there is so much awesome they could steal and repurpose in a way no other 2 WWE main roster women could.]

Bianca Belair was also a winner in this tourney, but she's one of the many under WWE Developmental already, so there's some footage/scouting of her doing NXT house shows and such. She's super-high upside before her showing in this tourney, and somehow marginally increased her chances with her showing here.

Pretty much everything else was vets/rounders doing their job making WWE's prefered women look better. As much as I'd love for Serena to get another shot, given how good and happy she seemed versus the last time she was around, I don't think that's the type of woman on WWE's radar.

Possible exception: Candice LaRae, who is very very good, but I didn't even know she was married to Johnny Gargano until tonight. I knew she was a wrestling couple but for some reason, I thought she was with Joey Strongpenis. But she's the only one who's made Baszler look any good yet, and I can see great things for Johnny and Candice Wrestling if WWE ever wants to go down that path.

I'm only through the Quarterfinals so far. More in depth thoughts once I do the other two episodes, or after next Tuesdays finals....

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 9991
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 9-6-2017 at 06:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
Possible exception: Candice LaRae, who is very very good, but I didn't even know she was married to Johnny Gargano until tonight. I knew she was a wrestling couple but for some reason, I thought she was with Joey Strongpenis. But she's the only one who's made Baszler look any good yet, and I can see great things for Johnny and Candice Wrestling if WWE ever wants to go down that path.

WWE.com covered their wedding in an article when it happened, so they at least made an effort to familiarize some of their audience with her and the relationship. And the reason you would've thought she was with Joey Strongpenis is because together, they form The World's Cutest Tag Team.

GodEatGod
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1410
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 9-6-2017 at 01:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
SPOILER NOTE I'VE FINISHED THE SHOW

I definitely would've booked it a lot differently.

Piper, Candice and Abbey were all better than the people who beat them. Kairi's getting the star treatment and rightfully so, but it's literally been very much a vanity tournament to put a shine on her and Shayna Baszler.

Shayna must be a good heel, because I kind of hate her guts and really want to see her lose. She's not bad in the ring and has a good bully aura, but ugh, it's so weird to have them push her as a megaheel and then cut to her happy smiling cheering section of buddies. I don't even hate Ronda, but it's a strange, kind of forced vibe where they're clearly testing the waters for the Horsewomen thing. I can't remember the name of the other chick with Ronda, but she looks trailer park af.

Kairi should go over (spunky, feisty babyface overcomes bully heel is a pretty basic story), but I worry that Trip/Steph's collective MMA boner for Ronda will have them job her to Baszler.

Lots of girls I'd like to see more of: Toni, Rhea, Piper, Sarah Logan (who was great-great-great in her one appearance), Dakota, Candice, Abbey (who I didn't expect much of but really won me over), Sarah Evers, Tessa Blanchard. Jazzy definitely has monster heel potential but needs a new name and some more seasoning.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

PB-13
Showstopper

Posts 881
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 9-7-2017 at 04:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Taynara's white outfit with the window up front reminded me of Power Girl for some reason, in a good way.

Kairi vs. Dakota Kai had the cuteness meter off the charts. Definitely became a big fan of Kai from this tournament.

Jazzy Gabert is another in a list of people who got more notoriety from one WWE invitational tournament than in an entire run elsewhere(see also Cedric in the CWC and Mark Andrews in the U.K. tournament). Alpha Female made a handful of appearances at TNA's overseas shows, but basically just to put over Velvet Sky.

It helped that I was going in fresh on the majority of the people in the tournament, not having seen much of a lot of them. Considering who was and wasn't under contract, a few finishes were surprises(Martinez over Laith, Sarah Logan going out in round one). Also surprised that Santana Garrett went out so early; she's been on their radar for a while. Kay Lee Ray will hopefully get another chance down the line along with Santana.

Impressed by both Belair and Kavita Devi(who could be really impressive with experience under her belt). Have seen Marti in far better matches so it sucked to see how badly her first-round match with Evers went off; at least Evers looked much better in round two. Ditto Nicole Savoy, who was just barely back from a lengthy layoff from a knee injury and it REALLY showed in round one; at least round two vs. Candice was better for her.

Have enjoyed the tournament thus far. Finals will have a lot going against them since they're running live after next week's Smackdown.

-PB
RIP My Friend Mark, 1991-2016

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
CVD39
Fella

Posts 270
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 9-7-2017 at 07:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Never been into women's wrestling that much before but I've got to say, after my 6ish year layoff of watching wrestling, things seem to have definitely changed for the better. These chicks can really go. Really like Sane and Toni. Piper Niven, too. Toni just has it. And I thought I had seen Brazler before and yeah, The Ultimate Fighter. Never cared for Rousey due to her taking her cockiness to straight bullying but it looks like we're going to be getting a lot of her soon.

Also really bummed I missed out on NXT all of these years. Been watching a few of the older NXT ppvs and I wish I had a time machine.

PB-13
Showstopper

Posts 881
Registered 7-27-2002

posted on 9-7-2017 at 03:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NXT on an off-week tends to be more enjoyable for me than a loaded Raw or SD. Much better pacing and booking.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12570
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 9-11-2017 at 10:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Something that was pointed out to me that I can't unsee: Shayna Baszler is really a gender swapped Baron Corbin, right down to the inexplicable push based on a look in spite of a total lack of discernable talent or charisma.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7328
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 9-12-2017 at 02:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I went into this tournament liking Baszler and expecting the push but understanding that she was also at least somewhat deserving of it since she has put in a lot of work on the indies over the last 2-3 years. But the massive amount of ass kissing that JR & Lita have done towards her have just ruined her for me.

And Kairi hasn't been as impressive as they've hyped either.

The best 4-5 people in this tournament have been Storm, Candace, Laith, Dakota, and Tessa.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
PB-13
Showstopper

Posts 881
Registered 7-27-2002

posted on 9-12-2017 at 05:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Network put up the six-woman tag from the taping. Jazzy got a heroine's reception.

-PB

GodEatGod
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1410
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 9-13-2017 at 12:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Glad that Kairi got the win. Really good match for the finals, too, with both of them working body parts. Kairi's face when Shayna had her in the choke was priceless, she looked like she was about to die. I would've liked a couple of women's undercard matches, but I get that they were working on a crowd who'd already watched Smackdown and still had 205 Live to go.

They really needed to stop playing the damn themesong all the time.

Kairi should have a rocket strapped to her, although I don't know if they put the belt on her right away. I saw Adam Blampied of Whatculture suggest they put the belt on one of the Iconic Duo as a change of pace and that might be the right call to help completely get them over. Kairi's fantastic, but she's also a great underdog and it would be suitable to let other people beat her down until she finally triumphs.

The "they just had Asuka, they can't have another Japanese champion right away" argument, however, I have no tolerance for (nobody hear has made it, but I've seen it made elsewhere). Kairi and Asuka are completely different wrestlers in style and presentation - it's like suggesting that Alberto Del Rio and Rey Mysterio are the same thing.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

royberto
Showstopper

Posts 669
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 9-15-2017 at 06:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Glad that Kairi got the win. Really good match for the finals, too, with both of them working body parts. Kairi's face when Shayna had her in the choke was priceless, she looked like she was about to die. I would've liked a couple of women's undercard matches, but I get that they were working on a crowd who'd already watched Smackdown and still had 205 Live to go.
IT wasn't a surprise. One is under contract, the other isn't. They aren't going to have the one that isn't as their tourney champion.

GodEatGod
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1410
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

posted on 9-15-2017 at 06:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by royberto
]IT wasn't a surprise. One is under contract, the other isn't. They aren't going to have the one that isn't as their tourney champion.

I mean, fair enough, but it wouldn't have surprised me if they made a deal with Shayna at some point during the tournament. And, surprise or not, it was the right booking decision.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 7328
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 9-15-2017 at 07:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If Baszler isn't already under contract, she will be soon enough. The Horsewomen story is too good for WWE to pass up no matter what stupid Vince rumor is out there about it. I also think there's a great story down the line to tell of Baszler having put in the time to wrestling and Rousey being the name.
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 9991
Registered 12-16-2008

posted on 9-17-2017 at 01:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by royberto
IT wasn't a surprise. One is under contract, the other isn't. They aren't going to have the one that isn't as their tourney champion.

I think this is something that the CWC had and MYC lacked.

The biggest names in the CWC were Ibushi and Sabre, but there was never any confirmation of them signing, only rumors, so their advancement in the tournament was questionable. The semifinal matches had them both exit, which lead to an unexpected final of Perkins/Metalik. A little unpredictability.

The biggest names in the MYC were Kairi (certainly) and Shayna (arguably). Kairi was a confirmed signed name, so it was almost too predictable that she would win the whole thing, which she ended up doing. Other than thinking there might be a swerve in the final to avoid an ending that was too obvious from the beginning, there wasn't much unpredictability.

They should really try to keep the contract information on lockdown during these tournaments to make the results more uncertain.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top