The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the newly-crowned highest rated video game ever..for now
CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1550
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbeque

posted on 3-3-2017 at 04:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the newly-crowned highest rated video game ever..for now

This is the official Breath of the Wild topic from now on.

http://www.gamerankings.com/switch/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/index.html

After receiving more 10's, 5/5's, and 100's than law should allow, Zelda is sitting at the top of metacritic and Gamerankings with 98.11% average amongst 67 or so different reviews.

I'm about to play it for the first time. Wish me luck.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 7881
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 3-3-2017 at 06:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Very nice. Can't wait to play it. Hopefully in a few months, it'll be a case of just walking into Target and buying a Switch, without all the fucking rigmarole that goes on when a system first releases.

I saw some article that said Targets were supposed to have them in stock this morning, and I halfway thought about going over there earlier this morning to check. But after going through that shit back in the day when the original Xbox and the Gamecube came out, I decided not to bother.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6132
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 3-4-2017 at 03:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looking forward to hearing your thought's on it Cam. And while I'm completely psyched to play Breath of the Wild, I am gonna wait until I can track down a Switch. I could just download it right now on the Wii U (and that's a pretty tempting idea), but just kind of want my first experience with Nintendo's newest console to be playing a brand new Zelda game, kind of like how I picked up Twilight Princess on launch day with the Wii.

Plus I'm still playing Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U (and have a few other Wii U/PS3 games in my collection that I've never gotten around to playing), so that should be enough to tide me over until the Switch is readily available.

On a sidenote: I think having a new Zelda game at launch (and one that's getting insanely good reviews) is going to make a world of difference for the Switch's sales compared to the Wii U.

Count Zero
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1827
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: So Raven

posted on 3-4-2017 at 11:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm really old-fashioned. The last Zelda game I -loved to death- was Link to The Past. I tried the Wind Waker and didn't get very far. When they switched from the overhead view to "3rd person camera view" it killed me. I'm really not good at the "over-the-shoulder camera" game-genre.

I might be weird (okay, we all probably know I am weird by now), but I'm not sure I'd be into this "open world like Skyrim/GTA" thing. I like my Zelda-games pseudo-linear, with the "use this item to beat this dungeon" trope in full effect.

That being said, I hope y'all enjoy the hell out of it. I'm just apparently not in sync with game reviewers, because I'd be giving this a 5/10, based on the above factors.

"It's a WWE tradition, to do something un-right." --Paddlefoot

nOOb
The Man

Posts 6851
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 3-4-2017 at 02:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
For what it's worth, Zelda seems to be harder to get than the Switch (as of me working at three different stores yesterday). The first two stores I went to sold out of their non-preorder stock by 1am, but they at least showed more on the way. The third still had six in stock by the time I got there at 9am, to the point where I actually considered buying one (actually three to sell them all on eBay). But when I checked eBay, there were two at 499, but there were also more selling $50 under market value (I think I even saw one at $199).

But all three stores had the same issue: unless you wanted to pay $100 for a giant collector box with a coin and a map in it, the regular version was gone with no idea when more were coming.

Besides, I'll wait until the Switch has more than one game I can't play on my Xbox or PS4 at a higher definition that doesn't also require friends in the immediate area to enjoy. And also more than 32GB of built in memory.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1550
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbeque

posted on 3-5-2017 at 09:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wii U version is so good that I feel like I'm playing on another system.

I'm four hours in and I'll give my more detailed impressions after I sink 10 hours in, but right now, it's soooooo good.

Especially love the cooking system.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 7881
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 3-5-2017 at 08:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
For what it's worth, Zelda seems to be harder to get than the Switch

Popped over to Target this morning to get a few things, and decided to check out the video game department. No Switches in stock, obviously... but they did have five copies of Zelda. And the regular version, too, not some expensive collectors edition.

I considered buying it, but I figure by the time I bother to get my hands on a Switch, the game will probably have long been on sale for less than $60.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Count Zero
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1827
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: So Raven

posted on 3-5-2017 at 10:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
Especially love the cooking system.
... Do Japanese game devs think videogamers need to learn to cook, or something? Between this & Final Fantasy 15's campsite-cooking setup, it's like... some kinda trend all of a sudden.

I know of a few mmo's having cooking-as-crafting-skill things, but have we ever seen that kind of thing in two "big name, mainstream" titles at almost-the-same-time?

nOOb
The Man

Posts 6851
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 3-6-2017 at 08:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Finishing up work today and I'm going to have a nice scream in my car: the Switch is now at "NES Classic" levels of inventory upkeep, aka everyone is out and no one is getting another anytime soon, so I just missed out on a $900 payday by not grabbing all three at the store I finished my day with on Friday.

And in further "classic Nintendo" levels of strategy, they've refreshed the inventory for Breath of the Wild at most stores...for the Switch. The WiiU version is of the same type as the Switch most places. So, the system everyone wants can't be bought and game everyone wants can't be bought for the system everyone seems to actually have.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top