The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: McGregor vs. Mayweather
Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2435
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: fugazi

posted on 8-27-2017 at 08:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As somebody who thinks both particpants are assholes, reprehensible degenrates etc etc etc, and thus I have no vested interest in the fight, didn't watch, didn't bet, blah blah blahhh. With all that said, I am honestly amazed and pleasantly stunned that it went 10 rounds.

Nobody had THAT in the office pool, at least.

However, also because I didn't bet, had no shred of attachment, etc etc
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
My money's on a Fingerpoke of Doom and they both walk out of the arena arm-in-arm eleventy-billion dollar richer.
the judges would've accepted this answer too. What can I say? I like unpredictable, as long as nobody really gets hurt!

[Edited on 8-27-2017 by Count Zero]

CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1754
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-27-2017 at 04:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I stayed off social media and it paid off.

It was a pleasant surprise.

I watched it before my wrestling training, and it was easily the best thing I've done after immediately coming home from work since playing Breath of the Wild in March.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 8-27-2017 at 06:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So for those who know more about boxing than me: was the fight going ten rounds a case of Mayweather being 40 and having ring rust, McGregor actually being way better than people were anticipating, or both guys kind of "throwing" the fight a bit and not trying to knock each other out too early so that people got their $100 worth?
CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1754
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-27-2017 at 07:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think it was a little bit of the first two things you said.

As for the fight being a little doctored....I just don't see Mayweather letting someone with dangerous punching capability have any extra time to get off a knockout shot on him. I don't see the difference between knocking him out in 4-5 rounds as opposed to 10. Hearns/Hagler was 3 rounds and won FOTY in 83, and everyone got their moneys worth.

Om Conor's side...McGregor wanted to win. He wanted to knock Floyd out.

I think the whole fight went exactly how Floyd wanted it. He wanted Conor to drain himself in 25 minutes of ring-time, and then rain down on him and punish him for ever talking trash about being able to jump to boxing like it was nothing.

I also don't see how McGregor being made to look great in defeat exactly benefits Floyd. Mayweather's only bottom line is himself. He isn't out to help anyone appear to be on his level or somewhat close.

Mayweather played the fight as safely as he SHOULD have. 50-0 is a thing, whether he wants to say it was or not going into the fight. He safely let McGregor tire himself out, then let loose in rounds 7-9 before finally laying the stank on it in 10.

I refuse to believe the fight was doctored in any way. It just doesn't benefit Mayweather at all, extra money or not.

Nobledictator1278
Fella

Posts 387
Registered 4-9-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-27-2017 at 08:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So I like boxing...but I don't pretend to know everything about it. Ive seen quite a few bouts in my day. On phenomenon that happened in the fight that Ive never seen happen as much was Mayweather having his back turned to McGregor. I think at first it was coincidental...but I swear as the fight went on I think Mayweather was doing it on purpose trying to get McGregor to lose a point from the ref.

Lets make no mistake about it....Mayweather was the better fighter, totally won the fight and I don't think this caused the fight to be a lost, I did feel like it was a BS tactic by Mayweather and he did it quite a few times. There was a couple of times where he ducked straight down in the corner and McGregor got in trouble for hitting him in the back of the head with the ref that stopped momentum for McGregor a few times.

To someone who knows more about this than me ...explain to me how I am looking at it wrong.

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4224
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood: Rumspringa Fraggle

posted on 8-27-2017 at 10:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nobledictator1278
So I like boxing...but I don't pretend to know everything about it. Ive seen quite a few bouts in my day. On phenomenon that happened in the fight that Ive never seen happen as much was Mayweather having his back turned to McGregor. I think at first it was coincidental...but I swear as the fight went on I think Mayweather was doing it on purpose trying to get McGregor to lose a point from the ref.

Lets make no mistake about it....Mayweather was the better fighter, totally won the fight and I don't think this caused the fight to be a lost, I did feel like it was a BS tactic by Mayweather and he did it quite a few times. There was a couple of times where he ducked straight down in the corner and McGregor got in trouble for hitting him in the back of the head with the ref that stopped momentum for McGregor a few times.

To someone who knows more about this than me ...explain to me how I am looking at it wrong.

You're not. Floyd was likely using that as a tactic to either draw a foul and/or confound McGregor because of his MMA reflexes. As much as I'm sure Floyd prepped to do that, I'm also sure Conor spent a lot of time in training and this fight resisting his urge not only to not grapple, but to not use whatever illegal BJJ or wrasslin' techniques he knows to try and open Floyd up, i.e. no jointlocks, elbows to his ribs, neck grabs, kicks, sweeps, etc. Conor instinct-bopped him on or near the back of the head a few times when he did that, especially in the first few rounds when he was fresh.

However, even though Floyd would turn his back and turtle up a bit, he still left himself open for Conor to sidestep and pop him a couple of times, which he did. Conor's power wasn't totally there at that point and probably a more "pure" boxer could have exploited that defensive technique. Even in boxing you never turn your back, but given the rules and circumstances of who he was fighting it was a smart play. Floyd's known for defensive boxing anyways, it's just that this time he did it 180 degrees from the way he usually does. But, it was a smart strategy on his and his trainer's parts to turn his back and let Conor figure out a way in, which he never did. Regardless, it was a way better and cleaner fight than I was anticipating.

As for "BS tactic"? Depends on how you view the fight, I suppose. Sure, it'd be more immediately entertaining to see them just do that Sami Zayn/Kevin Owens thing where they just immediately lock up hockey-brawl style at the bell, but that's more of a techniqueless boxing roulette match where any given punch from either guy in the first 10 to 20 second could end it. And if it didn't, then there's over 11 1/2 rounds of boring point scoring left because both guys would get so progressively gassed they wouldn't be able to lift their arms. At least Floyd turtling wasn't on the level of that sissy-ass barely-touched-him soccer-flopping nonsense guys pull on the pitch to draw yellow cards.

I'd be curious to know in interviews down the road if Conor cops to thinking, "Wenn th' fooker tornt hez back, me ayes went wide, me dick whent hærd, an' aye felt layk chokin' th' basterd strait æout but th' rules sez aye cannæ do dat so aye whent home an' lit me furnace wit stacks ov hunnerts enstead."

NJ > Florida!
Sandy > Irma!
Springsteen > Tebow
DK > Janerd

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3609
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-28-2017 at 01:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was reading something about how if McGregor busted out any MMA stuff he'd face severe financial penalties; so that was probably good incentive to not go for a choke or anything like that.

I was coming out of a movie last night and a bar with big bay windows had the fight on and there was a good sized crowd poaching it from the street which I joined and was able to catch the last three rounds... which sound like they were the more exciting rounds anyway.

Mayweather apparently had a guarantee of $100 million for the fight, and McGregor $30 million; with various expected bonuses Mayweather could go up to $200 million and McGregor could top $100 million... another day at the office for Floyd, but to date McGregor biggest MMA payday has been $3 million... even if he's giving a cut to Dana White/UFC he still became an extremely wealthy man last night... so nice experiment for him... now I want to see him get all fat like Damon Wayans character in the Great White Hope.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7897
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 8-28-2017 at 02:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's good to see such rewards go to such kind and wonderful and deserving people like Floyd Mayweather. It's only fair, right?

http://deadspin.com/heres-floyd-mayweathers-sons-note-telling-how-his-dad-b-1701548806

Fuck. This. World.

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 11920
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 8-28-2017 at 04:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
So for those who know more about boxing than me: was the fight going ten rounds a case of Mayweather being 40 and having ring rust, McGregor actually being way better than people were anticipating, or both guys kind of "throwing" the fight a bit and not trying to knock each other out too early so that people got their $100 worth?

It's also the way Mayweather boxes. He's very much a defensive boxer who relies on his technique, conditioning, and his quickness to win fights. In his last 15 fights, he's only had 4 knockouts, (3 TKOS and one actual KO). In 2005, 2007, 2011, and the one last night. His game plan (and he pretty much said so after the fight) was to let McGregor go 25 minutes (the length of a UFC Championship fight that goes the distance) and then break him down afterwards because he knew Conor would be tired after that.

quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
It's good to see such rewards go to such kind and wonderful and deserving people like Floyd Mayweather. It's only fair, right?

http://deadspin.com/heres-floyd-mayweathers-sons-note-telling-how-his-dad-b-1701548806

Fuck. This. World.

The dude is a total piece of shit.

[Edited on 8-28-2017 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top