The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ESPN's 30 for 30: This Was the XFL
royberto
Showstopper

Posts 677
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 2-3-2017 at 06:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
ESPN's 30 for 30: This Was the XFL

The documentary finally aired last night and was a very interesting piece. They all, including Vince, admitted to all the failings and showed there were more than a few things they did that the NFL uses today. They talked about the blimp crash, technical problems week 2, and some humorous stories from behind the scenes. The only thing bringing this down was Bob Costas being a egotistical, elitist dickhead through the whole thing, but that is what you get from Costas these days; a guy walking around acting like his shit doesn't stink.

Those that haven't watched it should check it out.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 7903
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 2-3-2017 at 06:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I forgot about it and tuned in flipping channels for the last 5 minutes. In those 5 minutes Bob Costas was only on once and he was an ass.

Don't Mess With Texas

royberto
Showstopper

Posts 677
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 2-3-2017 at 06:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He was being an ass throughout the entire documentary. Vince saying he wished Costas was taller so he could kick his ass was funny though.
Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2435
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: fugazi

posted on 2-4-2017 at 08:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, Bob Costas thinks he's Howard Cosell. Cosell actually made some kind of impact on society. Bob Costas is a generic talking-head with self-aggrandization issues.

"It's a WWE tradition, to do something un-right." --Paddlefoot

Quentil
Showstopper

Posts 766
Registered 5-13-2003
Location Saratoga Springs, NY

Mood:

posted on 2-4-2017 at 04:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Eh, Bob Costas has been around forever, and definitely worked his way up through the tv trenches. I loved his talk show in the 90s that as on late, as well. Overall, it was quality entertainment. That said? He could still easily be a douchetastic asshole, for all I know.

The XFL was a wonderful 'coulda woulda shoulda'. If they'd had 2-3 more weeks of a preseason, I think it might have had a better chance of things. The first couple weeks really had some shitty football, but by the time the mid-season rolled around, the quality of play was actually decent. The new camera angles and having players and coaches mic'd up was pretty cool. And you see that shit everywhere in sports today, so yeah.

The wrestling crossover crap was terrible, though. And I got so sick of hearing "He Hate Me" being said constantly in an attempt to get him over as some sort of heel character.

I'll have to check this show out, though, as the XFL isn't something I rememeber as a outright horrible thing. But what do I know? I watched the USFL as a kid as well.

[Edited on 2-4-2017 by Quentil]

royberto
Showstopper

Posts 677
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 2-4-2017 at 08:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quentil
Eh, Bob Costas has been around forever, and definitely worked his way up through the tv trenches. I loved his talk show in the 90s that as on late, as well. Overall, it was quality entertainment. That said? He could still easily be a douchetastic asshole, for all I know.

The XFL was a wonderful 'coulda woulda shoulda'. If they'd had 2-3 more weeks of a preseason, I think it might have had a better chance of things. The first couple weeks really had some shitty football, but by the time the mid-season rolled around, the quality of play was actually decent. The new camera angles and having players and coaches mic'd up was pretty cool. And you see that shit everywhere in sports today, so yeah.

The wrestling crossover crap was terrible, though. And I got so sick of hearing "He Hate Me" being said constantly in an attempt to get him over as some sort of heel character.

I'll have to check this show out, though, as the XFL isn't something I rememeber as a outright horrible thing. But what do I know? I watched the USFL as a kid as well.

[Edited on 2-4-2017 by Quentil]
When do do watch this show, it will remove all shadow of a doubt that Costas is in fact a douchetastic asshole.

OORick
If There Was Ever a Time

Posts 3737
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: The Time is Right

posted on 2-7-2017 at 01:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was wondering if we were gonna talk about this or not.... didn't think to look down here, until today.

Although it was little more than a straight retelling of a story most of us already know (I'm assuming Ebersol's son, who directed and produced it, needed some sort of resume booster, and "30 for 30" has some serious name value and prestige, even if this particular one was a bit of the fluffy side), I'm kind of surprised that they were able/allowed to underscore just how much this was Vince's Folly.

The interview(s) with Vince gave him his chance to give his side, and explain his thinking, but only served to illustrate that the XFL was doomed from the start, because a lot of time, Vince's "thinking" is, ummmm, not so thoughtful. Dick Ebersol's narrative arc -- from naive/gung ho "Vince is the perfect guy for this" all the way to "Jesus, Vince is single-handedly killing us," with all the stages of denial and rationalization and everything in between -- was helpful in this regard as well. But I guess since they stayed good friends afterwards, it wasn't viewed as mean-spirited as everybody else who was saying the XFL was doomed from the start, and who danced on its grave in the end.

Which brings me to Costas. How is he the heel in all this? He's one of the smartest, best informed sportscasters out there, especially suited to calling baseball (because yes, it's soooooo slow and BORING, so somebody who can fill in with interersting historical anecdotes is a delight), and only slightly less in his element as an interviewer. For me, the fact that everything he said was accurate and truthful is a feature, not a bug, and if you read some sense of smugness into his delivery, well, I can't help with that.... a LOT of us felt a bit of smugness when everything we said about the XFL before, during, and after its one season turned out to be spot on.

If anything, Vince's attitude towards Costas is very Trump-ian of him: and getting pissy/belittling/threatening someone, just because they happen to be objectively right about something, is never a good thing in my book....

But I digress.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Count Zero
The Rowdy One

Posts 2435
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: fugazi

posted on 2-7-2017 at 07:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I haven't seen the XFL 30-for-30, so I'm not basing my opinion of Costas on anything in that presentation.

For a long time now, I have held the opinion that he is only a very slight step above Joe Buck in the pantheon of "overpaid sports personalities who have bought into their own PR". That's a good thing, that slight step. The bottom of the pantheon is not a place you want to be.

"It's a WWE tradition, to do something un-right." --Paddlefoot

loki
HOMO

Posts 2074
Registered 6-11-2004

Mood: Primed

posted on 5-7-2017 at 03:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
(Just ran across this, so pardon the delay in kicking this thread back up after 3 months)

Fun fact: After the XFL crashed and burned a lot of their merchandise was bought by a company named Building 19, which specialized in discounts and closeouts.

And man, did they have a lot of merch. Jerseys and the team color/white baseball caps were pretty much a given. But letís not forget the (deeeeep breath), multiple other baseball caps, tshirts (multiple styles), tye-dye tshirts (they deserve their own category), polo shirts (multiple styles), button down shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters (with dynamic designs!), spring coats, winter coats, winter hats, coffee mugs, insulated mugs, water bottles, water bottles with water mister (yes, that was a real thing), decals, bumper stickers, magnets, flags (vertical), flags (horizontal), car flags, mini-helmets, and micro helmets. And donít forget, all of this was for each team plus the generic XFL logo.

I may or may not have bought a lot of it during a younger, foolish period of my life. In my defense, Iím a Browns fan, so the thought of kickass logos for a football team appealed to me.
A handful of items I still actually wear from time to time. The Outlaws had a pretty sweet logo, and at the end of a day a baseball cap is a baseball cap, great for keeping the sun off your head. The Demons polo actually looks nice, as itís a comfy black polo shirt with a small Demons logo. The Outlaws winter coat (black coat with black leather sleeves, team name on the front and small logo on the back) was comfy and a great conversation starter. Wearing a Rage jersey when we had the ďWear Your Favorite Football Jersey To WorkĒ day was always a laugh.

Hells bells, even to this day some of the 2001 logos and jerseys look better than what you see in the 2017 NFL.

Some of it I donated to a homeless shelter. Go ahead, insert jokes here.

And the rest of it is stored away in my attic. Someone once told me I could make some money selling it on ebay. I laughed, because I had looked into it once, and saw that for all 82 XFL items being sold on ebay at the time there were exactly zero bidders.

Ah, good times. Maybe when I get home Iíll dig out the Outlaws flag and fly it from my house. You know, for old timeís sake.

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3609
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-8-2017 at 03:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't watch football, but would be interested in hunting this down...

I'm curious though; I know the XFL threw a lot of ideas out there, has the NFL picked up the ball and run with any of them since they folded? Like is there something positive about innovation that had the whole WWE/Vince McMahon/bad football aspects not overshadowed it could have been the XFL's legacy?

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 7903
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 5-8-2017 at 03:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The sky cam seems to be the only adopted innovation that is consistently mentioned by multiple sites.

Don't Mess With Texas

LoveMuscle
And I am AWESOME

Posts 218
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood: stiff

posted on 6-26-2017 at 03:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quentil
The XFL was a wonderful 'coulda woulda shoulda'. If they'd had 2-3 more weeks of a preseason, I think it might have had a better chance of things. The first couple weeks really had some shitty football, but by the time the mid-season rolled around, the quality of play was actually decent.

This! If that New York/Las Vegas game in week 1 wasn't such a snoozer, who knows how things could have worked out. By mid-season, when the football was actually pretty good, we were subjected to that god-awful Jesse Ventura vs. New York's coach storyline and the WCW-level hyperbole of being constantly told "this is so much better than the NFL" that I can't blame people for not watching.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top