The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PPV DISCUSSION: WWE Royal Rumble 2017
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 1-29-2017 at 09:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PPV DISCUSSION: WWE Royal Rumble 2017

Tonight's the night that brings us the single most fun-filled hour of the wrestling year: the 30 Man Royal Rumble Match.

This year, we also return to the olden days of two World Title matches, which doubles the options and complexity, with regards to WWE's plans for WrestleMania. Both title matches are coin flips, so you don't have certainty on that side of the equation, which just creates more possibilities on the Rumble Winner side of the equation. Delightful.

Here's the full card for tonight's 4 hour PPV (starting at 7pm, eastern) and 2 hour pre-show (starting at 5pm, if you're a masochist):

30 Man Royal Rumble Match
AJ Styles vs. John Cena (WWE Title)
Kevin Owen vs. Roman Reigns (WWEU Title)
Charlotte Flair vs. Bayley (RAW Women's Title)
Rich Swann vs. Neville (Cruiserweight Title)
Cesaro & Sheamus vs. Gallows & Anderson (RAW Tag Titles, Two Referees Assigned, headlining the pre-show)
Becky Lynch/Naomi/Nikki Bella vs. Alexa Bliss/Mickie James/Natalya (Pre-show)
Sasha Banks vs. Nia Jax (Pre-show)

You can also expect some kind of significant angle featuring Seth Rollins and Triple H, building on Rollins crashing NXT Takeover last night.... it could be woven into an existing match (run-ins galore would suit the WWEU Title Match), or it could be its own stand-alone thing.

Notably, WWE has given up even pretending to announce a full field of 30 men for the Rumble Match. As fans have embraced the annual tradition of multiple surprise entries, the number of entries WWE announces has fallen, this year to a new low of just 22 men:

The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar, Bill Goldberg, Chris Jericho, Dean Ambrose, Miz, Dolph Ziggler, Bray Wyatt, Randy Orton, Luke Harper, Braun Strowmann, Big Show, Sami Zayn, Big E, Kofi Kingston, Eggsavier Woods, Cesaro, Sheamus, Rusev, Big Cass, Mojo Rawley, and Baron Corbin.

No doubt, some of the 8 "surprises" will be underwhelming cameos by current mid-carders (think Slater & Rhyno... or Ellsworth... or hey, does Curtis Axel still believe he hasn't been eliminated from the 2015 Rumble?).... but there will also be some pretty cool things happening with those open slots.

For one, the Rollins/HHH thing could easily be spun up into one or both of them getting into the Rumble (Rollins had his spot stolen at the last second back on Monday, and HHH *is* the defending Rumble winner).... also, it's widely expected that Samoa Joe is slated for an important spot on SmackDown as we head to WM33, and that could easily start tonight.

Also from NXT, it'd go over like gangbusters if new NXT Champ Bobby Roode made a Glorious Appearance, based on the way San Antonio responded to him last night... I'm less sanguine about this whole Tye Dillenger fantasy people have about him entering at #10; unless it's just a one-time comedy/crowd pleaser deal, calling for Tye to make his main roster debut at this time of the year is dooming him to a fate worse than Tyler Breeze (and I say this as a fan of both men).... some also think it's time for Shinsuke Nakamura to jump up to the main roster, but now is simply not the time after the major injury angle they did with him last night...

Other names bouncing around the smark-o-sphere include: Kurt Angle (pulled from this weekend's indie commitment, citing a conflict with his new 3-month WWE legends contract, but DENYING any involvement in the Rumble)... Finn Balor (on the cusp of a return from shoulder injury; it's known that he went to Dr. Andrews' practice in Alabama this week in hopes of being medically cleared, but unknown what came out of that check-up).... Kenny Omega (indie darling whose NJPW contract recently expired; however, he does not have nearly the cache of an AJ Styles, nor has he put his time in in NXT to create some, the way Kevin Owens and Finn Balor did)... Shaquille O'Neal (because Big Show, duh).... Shawn Michaels (because it's San Antonio, exactly 20 years after he won the Rumble, and honestly, battle royales don't count against retirement, right?).... Rey Mysterio (has completed his commitments to Lucha Underground, is not sure whether he will continue with them or not)... and of course, Kane, because he's Kane.

Any or all of those would be awesome, but we should also try to keep our expectations in check to some extent. With that in mind, my "sleeper pick" for a cool-but-not-quite-earth-shattering surprise entrant is Shelton Benjamin, who was all set for a WWE return back in August, until a minor knee surgery setback.... he's supposedly pretty close to healthy, and the plan was for him to come on back as soon as he was, so.... yeah, you could either have him and Kofi do dueling Elimination Teases, or blow people's minds if Shelton and Kurt Angle wound up in the same ring together....

Regardless, it's gonna be an awesome hour, and I intend to be well lubricated by the time the Rumble Match begins, so as to enjoy it as it is meant to be enjoyed. And let's not sleep on the rest of the card, either! Personally, that preshow is destined to be background noise for me, until the tag title match; six hours of TV is just too much in one sitting. But from the tag title match on, it ought to be pretty densely packed with goodness... and best of all, other than Charlotte retaining via nefarious means, I really have zero clue what to expect.

That really is when wrestling is at its best. Hope you all get to enjoy the show, too, and that you feel free to start sharing your own thoughts here before the event, and in real time as it gets underway....

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2451
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 1-29-2017 at 09:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kenny Omega has specifically denied being in the Rumble this year, saying he didn' t want to get fans hopes up just to be disappointed.

Of course, he could be lying.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6056
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: WHY IS ANYTHING

posted on 1-29-2017 at 10:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Kenny Omega has specifically denied being in the Rumble this year, saying he didn' t want to get fans hopes up just to be disappointed.

Of course, he could be lying.

I just hope and pray he shows up so we get more of this. Golly

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

scott19buckeye
And I am AWESOME

Posts 105
Registered 12-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-29-2017 at 10:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I am actually excited about the Rumble. Lots of star power, no probable winner has been "leaked", no will he or won't he Daniel Bryan drama, and three (almost forgot the woman) potentially outstanding championship matches. I predict Miz wins in and I definitely hope he comes out to Daniel Bryan's music. 10-20 secs of DB's music then "AWESOME!!". The arena would shit itself!
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7565
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-29-2017 at 10:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
Shawn Michaels (because it's San Antonio, exactly 20 years after he won the Rumble, and honestly, battle royales don't count against retirement, right?)

While I 99.9% doubt it will happen, I would be okay with this and think it would be pretty harmless to have Michaels come out for a minutes, throw out some superkicks, and then get tossed (hell, even have Taker toss him in a wink-wink, "sorry, but I retired your ass" moment).

Also, what's up with there being only five matches for a four-hour show? Obviously the Rumble match is going to eat up over an hour of that, but that still leaves roughly three hours for four matches. Either we're going to get some unannounced matches/segments or they're going to give Cena/AJ a shitload of time.

And my picks for tonight:

The Royal Rumble: Taker would have been my pick up to about a week ago, but now with all the Randy Orton chatter on the gossip sites, I'm going to pick him. I really hope the WWE goes with an unexpected winner though, as Orton winning just doesn't do much for me (and I say this as someone who's really been enjoying the stuff he's been doing with the Wyatts on Smackdown).

AJ Styles vs John Cena: My dream scenario would have been this match happening at WrestleMania, with Cena winning his 16th world title in the main event and doing a double-turn with AJ, but I digress. Seeing as how AJ is 2-0 against Cena (with one 100% clean victory), I figure Cena has to win here. On a sidenote, after AJ debuted at the 2016 Royal Rumble, who the hell would have thought he'd be defending the WWE title against John Cena one year later?

Kevin Owens vs Roman Reigns: Kind of like my Rumble pick, up to a week ago I would have said Reigns was a near-lock to win. But now, the no-DQ stipulation casts that in some doubt. Assuming Jericho/Owens is happening at Mania though, their initial falling out has to start somewhere, right? So I'm gonna say Reigns wins after Jericho somehow gets out of the cage and accidentally costs Owens the match, resulting in a post-match beatdown from Owens.

Charlotte vs Bayley: I don't think Charlotte drops the title until WrestleMania, so she's winning here.

Rich Swann vs Neville: The Cruiserweight title needs some stability after already bouncing around to multiple guys, so I'll go with Swann to retain.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3255
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 1-29-2017 at 10:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75

I just hope and pray he shows up so we get more of this. Golly

Hey, i'm gonna do my Jim Cornette impression, since you provided me with such a brilliant opportunity.

"Hey! Fuck this fucking fuckery where fucking fans fucking pay for fucking shit, and then the fucking shit they git isn't the fucking shit they fucking paid for! Lookit me! I'm fucking swearing! That means I have a fucking point! I'm James E-Fucking Cornette!"

I'm no stranger to overusing profanity, but I can't be arsed to take a fucking thing he says seriously, because he's just fucking swearing for the fucking sake of fucking swearing. Fuck. Maybe if he didn't sound like an angry mark, I could take his point of view seriously. I -know- he's forgotten more about wrestling than the average booker knows, but still.... I just fucking fail to fucking listen to what he's really trying to fucking say.

eta: of predictions, I have but one. I'm going to pick Neville to win, because we always have heel champs in almost every other case (Ambrose is the lone 'face' with a singles belt and ShamuSaro are half-booed/half-cheered), and 205Live doesn't have one right now. We know that HHH loves his heel champs..

[Edited on 1-29-2017 by Count Zero]

LoveMuscle
Showstopper

Posts 808
Registered 6-28-2007

Mood: stiff

posted on 1-29-2017 at 10:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
No chance of it happening, but I'd mark out for a brief Rumble appearance by Ryback - just for a stare down with Goldberg.
Sam Is Neat
Fella

Posts 452
Registered 2-21-2013

Mood: Moody

posted on 1-29-2017 at 11:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I thought Shelton Benjamin's surgery wasn't for a "minor knee injury" but a pretty fucking major rotator cuff tear. At least, that is what he revealed on Jim Ross's podcast a few months back. If so, I can't imagine he is ready to return at this point.

Isn't Drew Galloway a free agent now, too? Would it be out of the question to see the return of the Chosen One, if this is, in fact, true?

And of course, the name to end all names, CM Punk making a return and winning the entire thing while HHH/Steph/Vince look on in horror. It won't happen, but until it doesn't...it might!

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 1-29-2017 at 11:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I may well have mixed up "knee" and "shoulder," but my memory was that Shelton was still going around doing indie dates when WWE came calling. He went in for his physical, and was quite surprised to find out that something he thought was a nagging ache or pain in his [insert correct body part] actually needed a quick surgery.

I know Balor is one who DEFINITELY hurt his shoulder AND when he went in for the surgery, the reports are that it was worse than initially indicated on the MRI, but by no means does that disqualify Shelton's injury from also being worse than I'm remembering.

In other news, I'm normally .gif-opposed, but in this case, I'm putting out an APB for a .gif of Cesaro doing the Monty Burns' "Excellent" Fingers before the 6-1-9, because that shit was hilarious....

Rick

PS: new RAW tag champs, but only because Sheamus KO'd one of the two refs, so there was nobody around to see Anderson with a handful of Cesaro's trunks. Just enough dissension to justify Cesaro vs. Sheamus Drama when both enter the Rumble later, I assume?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7387
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-29-2017 at 11:23 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It feels like WWE is overdo for a woman surprisingly entering the Rumble before a slightly quick exit. And we all figure NXT is getting a minimum of two entrants tonight. Nikki Cross might be a fun one-off: have her storm out, go crazy, somehow eliminate a person, and then quick exit.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3255
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 1-29-2017 at 11:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
they had the new day's streak ended by ShamSaro, a forced-together tag team that was designed to implode from day 1.

so they turned the tag straps into a prop for a solo feud.

and now gallows & anderson (who nobody cares about) are the HEEL-champs with no real story.

WWE: Doing it ass-backwards 100% of the time!

[Edited on 1-29-2017 by Count Zero]

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6056
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 1-30-2017 at 12:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fucking hell that's a crowd,

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6056
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 1-30-2017 at 12:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Goddamn fantastic match!

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10659
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: Blade Jaggart Rulez!

posted on 1-30-2017 at 12:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sex-y pinata! clap clap clap-clap Sex-y pinata! clap clap clap-clap

Hey bitches! Screw ALL of you! - heel Bayley, Oct 11 2019

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3255
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 1-30-2017 at 12:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Did Roman just kick out of a Brass Knuckle Superman Punch???

eta: STUNNER!! BAH GAWD!! STONE COLD KEVIN OWENS BAH GAWD!!!!! (sorry for going full JR there..)

ETA2: BAH GAWD IT'S KANE!!! WHY DOES HE HAVE A BEARD?? WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE?!??!?!

(No, there was no actual Kane sighting, I'm just JRing the hell out of that ending for my own amusement value.)

[Edited on 1-30-2017 by Count Zero]

"At this point Brock is so bulletproof, they could fucking crucify him and he would kick out before the third day." -- ulsterphil

Slick
And I am AWESOME

Posts 178
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood: jobberish

posted on 1-30-2017 at 01:03 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's Braun and he's multitasking!! Rrrroooaaarrrr!!
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10659
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 1-30-2017 at 01:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Told you fuckin' guys that Strowman was awesome!

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8887
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-30-2017 at 01:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have never been so happy to see Beef Stroganoff as I just was.

Don't Mess With Texas

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10659
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 1-30-2017 at 01:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pretty decent KFC commercial too.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8887
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-30-2017 at 01:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Royal Rumble 2004 will not be directly referenced in these 30 facts about the Rumble

Don't Mess With Texas

Sam Is Neat
Fella

Posts 452
Registered 2-21-2013

Mood: Moody

posted on 1-30-2017 at 01:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Swiss-1-9 that followed the Mr. Burns "excellent" hands by Cesaro made me chuckle.

Also, I thought the Bayley/Charlotte match was decent. Bayley seemed a little out of sorts, but Charlotte was 100% on point and kept that match together.

Fun title match between Owens and Reigns. Something tells me they were trying to pay homage to the Omega/Okada match with that table spot.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4343
Registered 12-27-2001

posted on 1-30-2017 at 01:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Really enjoyed that match, and that's the first time I've ever enjoyed a damned thing Strowman's done.

Not to wet blanket things, but: sooooooooo..... does this mean Reigns now has a stranglehold on one of those 8 open Rumble slots, so he can get revenge and still manage to find a backdoor to ruining WrestleMania?

Just sayin'.... cuz the thought of Reigns vs. Strowman lasting long enough to be on the WM33 Preshow as the lead players in the Andre Battle Royale is clearly too good to be true.

Rick

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3255
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 1-30-2017 at 01:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And now we get video packages & backstage skits while we change the ring ropes to purple for the cruisermans! Branding >>>> Live Crowd Momentum.

Sami's number was upside-down. Heh.

[Edited on 1-30-2017 by Count Zero]

"At this point Brock is so bulletproof, they could fucking crucify him and he would kick out before the third day." -- ulsterphil

scott19buckeye
And I am AWESOME

Posts 105
Registered 12-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-30-2017 at 01:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Alright, the cruiserweights! Time to get some churros!
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7806
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 1-30-2017 at 01:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OORick
Really enjoyed that match, and that's the first time I've ever enjoyed a damned thing Strowman's done.

Not to wet blanket things, but: sooooooooo..... does this mean Reigns now has a stranglehold on one of those 8 open Rumble slots, so he can get revenge and still manage to find a backdoor to ruining WrestleMania?

Just sayin'.... cuz the thought of Reigns vs. Strowman lasting long enough to be on the WM33 Preshow as the lead players in the Andre Battle Royale is clearly too good to be true.

Rick
Just to counter this...maybe the KO win and Sami's little skit is leading to some good old Canadian violence and Zayn and Owens will be the title match at Mania.

Hey...it could happen.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top