The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The Slants
doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1571
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 1-19-2017 at 09:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Slants

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_yNnmsrLkc&t=31s

Isn't one of our members in this band?

Great video.

The "B" is for Bargain!

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5929
Registered 1-28-2013
Location THE WORST IN THE WOOOOORLD

Mood: I STILL GOT IT!

posted on 1-19-2017 at 10:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hory shet! That is indeed the band, or now former I believe, of OO's very own salmonjunkie. Fight the power, fellas!

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-20-2017 at 01:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was in this band, yes. In fact, my first show with the band was 7 years ago, and that morning we were on the front page of the local paper in Portland for this case, which at that point had just been denied the trademark for the first time.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10540
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 1-20-2017 at 01:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dare I ask what other names couldn't be trademarked? I'm white, see, so I don't think I should be saying any of them out loud.

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5929
Registered 1-28-2013
Location THE WORST IN THE WOOOOORLD

Mood: I STILL GOT IT!

posted on 1-20-2017 at 02:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
I was in this band, yes. In fact, my first show with the band was 7 years ago, and that morning we were on the front page of the local paper in Portland for this case, which at that point had just been denied the trademark for the first time.

To be honest, because I'm quite dim, I thought the band's name referred to a point of view or the idea of leaning in a particular way towards something either literally or figuratively. Had no idea it was to take the piss out of a racial slur. Mockery and a type of mental Aikido with stuff like that is really the only way to re-contextualize and disarm the original meaning of the word. It's absolutely head ingly insane, however, that the U.S. Gov is essentially codifying the word as a no-no and essentially protecting its original meaning. Fucking neat-o.

Thai do you still hang out with the band or are you a part of the court proceedings?

Do the guys need the support of a small government nutcase in court? It's not how I really ever pictured going before a judge, but maybe I can make some cool Don't Tread On Me gifs with titties in them to distract the Justices while the band grabs the Constitution and runs? I get producer credit on that band video idea, by the way.

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10540
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 1-20-2017 at 04:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey, you're famous! You made it onto (ugh) FOX News!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/19/asian-american-band-takes-on-u-s-supreme-court-over-slanted-logic.html

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 2-9-2017 at 07:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75

Thai do you still hang out with the band or are you a part of the court proceedings?

Totally didn't see this until now. I still hang out with two of the former band members. One of them I was in a band with before The Slants and he left right after I left. The other was the drummer the whole time I was in the band. He left very recently. I talk to the bass player on occasion, but that's about it. Two of the guys currently in the band weren't in the band when I left, and the current singer had only been around for a few months when I left.

And no, I'm not part of the court proceedings. In fact, Simon (the bass player and founder of the band, and the named person on this case) isn't really part of the court proceedings either. It's all lawyers talking to lawyers and judges.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 6-20-2017 at 07:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
SCOTUS Weighs In!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/opinions/free-speech-scotus-randazza-opinion/index.html

"Put the chicken wings down n come to Jihad bro."

salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 6-20-2017 at 10:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Earlier today, they used an old picture of the band, with me in it, as the headlining photo rather than the shitty Redskins QB. But, they did still use it further down in the article. That's me, second to left, my ugly mug is on CNN. Ha!
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-21-2017 at 03:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
Earlier today, they used an old picture of the band, with me in it, as the headlining photo rather than the shitty Redskins QB. But, they did still use it further down in the article. That's me, second to left, my ugly mug is on CNN. Ha!

That's awesome man! I think you will probably be the first and last OO member to appear on CNN's website (unless cops in Florida one day discover a sex dungeon/opium den/clown college facility underneath janerd's house).

And as a fellow musician, I'm curious if you miss being in The Slants after some of this mainstream press they're getting? Or is it more of a "I'm happy for them, but am totally content not being in the band anymore" kind of thing?

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 6-21-2017 at 06:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I definitely miss being in the band as it was when I was there, but I wouldn't necessarily want to be in the band as it exists now (not because of the people, it's just a different band now than it was when I was in it). Touring was a lot of fun, but I don't have the energy to do that anymore. Plus, the travel back and forth between Seattle (where I live), and Portland (where the band is based out of) was wearing on me. So, it's definitely more of a "I'm happy for them, but am totally content not being in the band anymore" kind of thing.

[Edited on 6-21-2017 by salmonjunkie]

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-21-2017 at 11:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I totally hear you on all that. My own band is kind of on an indefinite hiatus and while I miss playing live and writing music with them a lot, I definitely don't miss lugging equipment around to local venues and performing for 20 people (and making no money doing it).

Either way, it's super cool that you were a part of something that is making national headlines at the moment!

doctorb
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1571
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Where everyone is rich but me

Mood: need coffee

posted on 6-22-2017 at 05:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goonEither way, it's super cool that you were a part of something that is making national headlines at the moment!

And now we can all tell our friends that we're totally in tight with these guys!

The "B" is for Bargain!

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3943
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 6-22-2017 at 06:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon

That's awesome man! I think you will probably be the first and last OO member to appear on CNN's website (unless cops in Florida one day discover a sex dungeon/opium den/clown college facility underneath janerd's house).

On the contrary, during the 2012 election, I was on CNN as part of a focus group that was watching one of the debates from OSU.

ETA: I just realized that my avatar could be seen as ironic considering the court case....

ETA2: 57 seconds in, back row, all the way on the left, black shirt.
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2012/10/18/exp-erin-ohio-focus-group-not-wowed-by-candidates.cnn.html

[Edited on 6-22-2017 by OOMike]

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top