The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NBA 2016-17
merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 1-7-2017 at 06:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NBA 2016-17

I don't remember anyone from Philly on these boards, but if there is you need to step up son. Joel Embiid is the MFing real deal. You need to represent what he can do.

dude needs to fill out a bit and let the game come to him but that young man is gonna be The Man very soon. 76ers played the C's much harder than records would have predicted as a result of him and a slicked hair McConnell who knows how to dish. Good chemistry on the bench together, all positive.

I love me them Celtics, but seeing young guys come play hard...all good.

"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6597
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 1-7-2017 at 08:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fuck the Hawks.

Even if/when they deal Milsap to Toronto...fuck them. Are they winning a title this year? No. hell, their peak is a 2nd round lost to either Cleveland or Toronto. But you a fire sale mid season when you are comfortably in the playoffs. Fuck that.

Also has there ever been a year where the league has been this top heavy? Cavs and Dubs are the cream of the crop. Spurs, Raps, and possibly Rockets/Clippers are the next tier and the gap their is huge. Add in the gap between those teams and your Bostons, Utahs, Thinders and Grizzlies...and this year seems inevitable.

On the plus side if the Cavs win we can at least talk about how the Dubs title was an outlier likely caused by injuries to Irving and Love...and debate where LeBron sits in terms of best ever. He's not Jordan...but would title #5 cement him at number 2?

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2697
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi
Member Is Online

Mood: Stoked

posted on 1-8-2017 at 08:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The W's/Grizzlies game last night was the best I've seen all year. Orlando gives up 24 point leads, not Golden State. They just imploded and have nobody that can guard Zach Randolph, who is in his (gasp!) 16th year.

Regarding James, in the end I think Jordan will stay #1 and LeBron will be #1a.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2017 at 04:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
They just imploded and have nobody that can guard Zach Randolph, who is in his (gasp!) 16th year.

I heard that mentioned when watching the game and couldn't believe he's been in the league for that long.

And I will be completely shocked if we get anything other than Warriors/Cavs III in the finals this year. I just don't see any team who can win a four-game series against either of them.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6597
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 5-20-2017 at 03:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Apparently LeBron James was not one of the 3 best players this year.

The Raptors and Celtics likely disagree with that.

Can we get to Cavs / Dubs round 3 all ready?

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-22-2017 at 12:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'm a big Spurs fan, but let's just end the conference finals early, as it's just a formality at this point.

And I am looking forward to Warriors/Cavs III, since both teams are so clearly on a different level than any of the other teams in their respective conferences. Though as dominant as Lebron has been thus far, I think the Warriors are just way too much for anyone to handle, especially after their epic collapse last year. I'll take the Warriors in five.

EDIT: The Celtics with Isaiah Thomas in the lineup and playing at home? Destroyed and down 0-2. The Celtics without Isaiah Thomas in the lineup and playing on the road? Victory and making the series 2-1.

Fuck, the NBA is ridiculous.

[Edited on 5-22-2017 by the goon]

CVD39
Fella

Posts 288
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-29-2017 at 10:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
The W's/Grizzlies game last night was the best I've seen all year. Orlando gives up 24 point leads, not Golden State. They just imploded and have nobody that can guard Zach Randolph, who is in his (gasp!) 16th year.

Regarding James, in the end I think Jordan will stay #1 and LeBron will be #1a.

Didn't see this until today. I was at Lafitte's Bar (the one past the gay part of Bourbon Street with the fireplace and back room piano player) and keeping an eye on this game when we were visiting with friends during the 2017 Great Southern Chill and I laughed and laughed. I couldn't believe what I was half watching.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-5-2017 at 06:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So where does this incarnation of the Warriors rank among the NBA's all-time greatest teams? Just think how good a team with Lebron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love is and they're getting blown out by 20+ points against the Warriors in the first two games of the Finals.

I originally predicted the Warriors in five, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see them sweep the Cavs and be the first team to go 16-0 in the NBA playoffs.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6597
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 6-5-2017 at 02:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
So where does this incarnation of the Warriors rank among the NBA's all-time greatest teams? Just think how good a team with Lebron James, Kyrie Irving, and Kevin Love is and they're getting blown out by 20+ points against the Warriors in the first two games of the Finals.

I originally predicted the Warriors in five, but it wouldn't shock me at all to see them sweep the Cavs and be the first team to go 16-0 in the NBA playoffs.

Below the MJ/Pippen/Rodman Bulls, below the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, and probably above the Duncan/Manu/Parker Spurs, but that'd be close.

Really the comparison that comes more to mind is the 80's Celtics and Lakers. All 3 teams took advantage of the majority of the league not being that good, with a lot of teams that were hard to watch.

Going back to the Celtics dynasty era is too hard to compare...but I'll put them at 5th:

MJ's Post SpaceJam Bulls
Shaq/Kobe Lakers
80's Celtics
MJ's Pre-SpaceJam Bulls
Curry Warriors*

Yeah, I have two different MJ Bulls teams on there. Go back and looks at how good the Lakers, Blazers, and Suns were. There's a reason Jordan is the GOAT.

Oh and the Cavs still have a chance to make it a series. IF they can go back to being the Cavs and not playing middle school basketball where they just keep hoping LeBron can do something. If the Cavs get 2 wins...I'd put the Showtime Lakers in at 5th above the Warriors.

CCharger
The Great One

Posts 3703
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Covfefe

posted on 6-5-2017 at 05:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie

MJ's Post SpaceJam Bulls
Shaq/Kobe Lakers
80's Celtics
MJ's Pre-SpaceJam Bulls
Curry Warriors*

Not for nothing, but the Detroit Bad Boys teams beat three out of the five teams you mentioned in 7 game series, and arguably could have beaten the other two had they competed during the same era. They also beat the Showtime Lakers.

Probably the most underrated championship team in NBA history.

[Edited on 6-5-2017 by CCharger]

[Edited on 6-5-2017 by CCharger]

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

"The powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned."
--- Stephen Miller, Trump senior White House advisor, Feb. 12, 2017

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-6-2017 at 08:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
Not for nothing, but the Detroit Bad Boys teams beat three out of the five teams you mentioned in 7 game series, and arguably could have beaten the other two had they competed during the same era. They also beat the Showtime Lakers.

Probably the most underrated championship team in NBA history.

I think they may get overlooked because their NBA championships were sandwiched in between the Lakers/Celtics era of greatness in the 80's and Michael Jordan's ascension to god-status in the early 90's. But they definitely had a great run from 1988 to 1990, going to three NBA Finals in a row and winning two of them (and almost going to four in a row before being knocked out by the Bulls in 1991).

And if the Warriors are able to keep their current roster intact and rack up some more championships, I think they'll be legit top three material when it comes to the greatest NBA teams of all time.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-10-2017 at 05:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Damn, now I'm pissed that the Cavs blew Game 3, because we'd have a hell of a series on our hands if it were tied 2-2. But as it stands now, I give Cleveland about a .05% chance of winning in Oakland on Monday.
bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6597
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 6-10-2017 at 05:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Damn, now I'm pissed that the Cavs blew Game 3, because we'd have a hell of a series on our hands if it were tied 2-2. But as it stands now, I give Cleveland about a .05% chance of winning in Oakland on Monday.

Kinda odd...but doesn't it now feel like game five is a must win for the Dubs? After what happened last year, and adding KD...

Oh and a lot of chatter on the interwebs that Durant had surpassed LeBron. Even before the Cavs win...fuck no. Put it this way...the Warriors don't turn down a LeBron for Durant trade. The Cavs do.

Oh and the 86 points in a half kinda knocks down the Warriors down a peg or two in all time greatest discussions.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-10-2017 at 07:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Kinda odd...but doesn't it now feel like game five is a must win for the Dubs? After what happened last year, and adding KD...

Yeah, the pressure will definitely be on Golden State to close it out on Monday, but I just don't give Cleveland hardly any chance after getting blown out by 20+ points in the first two games on the road (not to mention it seems like Lebron and company gave everything they had tonight in a kind of valiant last stand before the inevitable happens).

quote:
Oh and the 86 points in a half kinda knocks down the Warriors down a peg or two in all time greatest discussions.

I dunno. I mean, obviously giving up 86 points in a half is ridiculous, but on the flipside, the Cavs had to play out of their minds and the Warriors were still only down by 18 at the half (normally if a team were to give up 86 first-half points, you'd think they'd be down by 30 or 40 at halftime).

So yeah, it's a blemish on the Warriors' record and prevented them from being the first team to go 16-0 in the playoffs, but if they're able to win a few more championships in the coming years, I don't think it will have too much bearing on their ranking on the all-time greatest list.

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6597
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 6-13-2017 at 08:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So looking at how out of his mind KD had to play for the Warriors to win....

It kinda sucks that dumb luck prevented the Cavs from a 3-peat.

Yes, I'll admit the Draymond doing Draymond things helped the Cavs get their title.

But consider that in the first meeting of Cleveland and Golden State, the Warriors faced the LeBrons, not the Cavs. If KD doesn't sign with Golden State (either because OKC doesn't blow it vs the Warriors or he goes someplace else like Boston), Cleveland wins the 3rd matchup.

Injuries to Love and Irving, and KD being available. Plus the Warriors getting cap room thanks to the ABC/ESPN/TNT deals......something the NBA tried to avoid. A case can be made that the Sports Gods really do hate Cleveland, and LeBron is really that good.

People talk about what it takes to build a team or win a ring...it's amazing how much luck really does play in to it.

And the thing is, I like Curry. I like Durant. But the reactions to them winning are a little over the top. Maybe it's just overflow of "this is historic" sports talk after the Pens won back-to-back Cups, but the KD > LeBron and Dubs being a dynasty in the making talk tonight just seemed a little to much.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-14-2017 at 01:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, the Cavs would have had a very legitimate shot at winning the title in 2015 had Love and Kyrie not been injured; that one kind of deserves an asterisk on the "Lebron losing in the NBA Finals" list.

And while I'm not a fan of Durant going to Golden State, it's hard to really hate on them for being a "super team" when they drafted Steph, Klay, and Draymond. It'll be interesting to see what moves the Cavs make in the off-season to prepare for the inevitable fourth matchup next year.

And just cause:

quote:
Though as dominant as Lebron has been thus far, I think the Warriors are just way too much for anyone to handle, especially after their epic collapse last year. I'll take the Warriors in five.

Called it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top