The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2017 Mass Shooting Thread Of Suck
CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4999
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 10-4-2017 at 03:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'd be the first to admit that the USA has serious flaws in many areas, particularly as it comes to domestic spying, etc.

But the United States is measurably and demonstrably more free than mainland China and by quite a large margin.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3053
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 10-4-2017 at 03:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not so free to be able to attend a concert and not have some nut job with 42 guns kill me and hundreds of my friends. I'm not trying to be obtuse, and I see your point, but the right to life guaranteed to us seems like lip service at this point.
CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4999
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 10-4-2017 at 04:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
Not so free to be able to attend a concert and not have some nut job with 42 guns kill me and hundreds of my friends. I'm not trying to be obtuse, and I see your point, but the right to life guaranteed to us seems like lip service at this point.

And I see your point, and I'm not arguing with you. America has serious, serious problems, and I would be the last one to say it's all star-spangled awesome.

I'm just saying that for all it's faults, it's more free than many other countries.

My brother lived in Singapore for many years. He raved about how clean it was and how everything was super-organized and efficient. When I pointed out to him that it was controlled by a dictator who had people beaten with canes for dropping gum on the ground, he just shrugged his shoulders.

Just speaking for myself, I'd take the freedom and insanity of democracy over the brutality and efficient security of authoritarianism.

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2411
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-4-2017 at 06:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger

When rural white folks hear "gun control" they see ATF agents kicking in their doors and taking their weapons.

[Edited on 10-3-2017 by CCharger]

Obligatory

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1768
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 10-4-2017 at 11:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
What is more worrisome is that Trump repealed regulations that would have kept firearms out of the hands of the severely mentally ill.

False. You need to quit getting your information from uninformed, social justice warrior Jimmy Kimmel. This talking point about February’s repeal of a ban on certain social security recipients has nothing to do with “severe mental illness.” Those “adjudicated as a mental defective" or "committed to any mental institution” are prohibited from owning firearms under the 1968 Gun Control Act, unaffected by the legislation Trump signed.

These late night talk show hosts say we need more gun control, but none of them offer any real solutions. Let Kimmel, Colbert, Noah, Meyers and Fallon give their ten solutions for how to resolve this problem and maybe someone will start taking them seriously. In the meantime it's just grandstanding on their parts.

Where are they when there are 59 people shot or killed every month on the streets of Chicago? In a state like Illinois, that has some of the most stringent gun laws in the entire country. It takes a tragedy like the one in Vegas to get these guys on their pulpit and wag their fingers at us about how our society is going to hell in a handbasket. They can all suck it!

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 10-5-2017 at 12:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I made an ass of you and me, when I assumed the apparent mod to this dude's gun was illegal. Looks like it's fucking legal. Jesus. I had no idea this was something you could just do.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republicans-may-consider-plan-to-ban-gun-bump-stocks/ar-AAsUvmg?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

"The bill offered by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the Senate Judiciary Committee’s top-ranking Democrat, responds to revelations that some of the weapons Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock used to commit the worst mass shooting in U.S. modern history Sunday were apparently outfitted — legally — with bump stock devices.

[Edited on 10-4-2017 by BBMN]

"Put the chicken wings down n come to Jihad bro."

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1595
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 10-5-2017 at 12:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey, a "but Chicago" comment! Drink!
CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2340
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 10-5-2017 at 04:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, Chicago is the new defense fad. I’ve outright been told it’s illegal to purchase a gun there (I found it funny since they treated Chicago as its own separate entity from Illinois), to which I had to do research and respond with:

“They have a FOID card for residents. Non-residents are totally exempt from this. The FOID card is given by police to qualified applicants, as long as you’re squeaky clean, so it’s not illegal to purchase guns in Illinois.

They also provide concealed carry licenses to those who go through 16 hours of training. Shotguns and rifles are even available for purchase. There’s a 72 hour waiting period waiting period for handguns and a 24 hour waiting period for rifles and shotguns.

Oh, and I’m sure all of the readily available guns (almost untraceable, thanks to the law that prohibits gun records being accessed via the internet) that get stolen and sent out into the Wild in all of the states that legalize and encourage gun ownership don’t account for any of the guns that find their way into the highly corrupt, gang-ridden world of Chicago.

Sources:

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/things-to-do/5-steps-to-getting-a-gun-in-chicago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Illinois

FLW, it’s easy to point the finger at late night hosts and say “why don’t thy provide a solutions?”. It’s not their job to provide a solution (some of whom actually have during their more somber moments). They are hosts on a comedy show. It’s the job of our government to address and find a solution, but it seems they are interested in anything but.

[Edited on 10-5-2017 by CamstunPWG187]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10540
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 10-5-2017 at 04:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
In an era where a game-show host/crooked realtor managed to become president what's wrong with comedians saying their own piece?

[Edited on 10/5/2017 by Paddlefoot]

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1595
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 10-5-2017 at 12:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CamstunPWG187
Yeah, Chicago is the new defense fad. I’ve outright been told it’s illegal to purchase a gun there (I found it funny since they treated Chicago as its own separate entity from Illinois), to which I had to do research and respond with:
[Edited on 10-5-2017 by CamstunPWG187]

I get why "but Chicago" is proving to be such a popular defense. None of the usual NRA-approved defenses are working for this one:

1) "The only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Every patron at that concert could have been packing heat, and it wouldn't have made a lick of difference because the shooter was firing from the 32nd floor of a building across the street in the dark.
2) "The problem is mental health care." Prior to the shooting, there appeared to be no indications that Stephen Paddock was suffering from any sort of mental illness, aside from maybe being kind of antisocial, depending on who you asked.
3) "He was probably brainwashed by violent video games." Even if he played a lot of violent video games, which seems highly unlikely, he would have been 40 when "Doom" came out.

CCharger
The Immortal One

Posts 4999
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 10-5-2017 at 03:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Lloyd Wright
quote:
What is more worrisome is that Trump repealed regulations that would have kept firearms out of the hands of the severely mentally ill.

False. You need to quit getting your information from uninformed, social justice warrior Jimmy Kimmel. This talking point about February’s repeal of a ban on certain social security recipients has nothing to do with “severe mental illness.” Those “adjudicated as a mental defective" or "committed to any mental institution” are prohibited from owning firearms under the 1968 Gun Control Act, unaffected by the legislation Trump signed.

These late night talk show hosts say we need more gun control, but none of them offer any real solutions. Let Kimmel, Colbert, Noah, Meyers and Fallon give their ten solutions for how to resolve this problem and maybe someone will start taking them seriously. In the meantime it's just grandstanding on their parts.

Where are they when there are 59 people shot or killed every month on the streets of Chicago? In a state like Illinois, that has some of the most stringent gun laws in the entire country. It takes a tragedy like the one in Vegas to get these guys on their pulpit and wag their fingers at us about how our society is going to hell in a handbasket. They can all suck it!

First, I don't watch late night TV, so you're already off the rails there.

Second, our use of "social justice warrior" as a pejorative indicates pretty clearly what you're about.

Third, the rule I was speaking of was an Obama administration policy of having "to require the Social Security Administration to report the records of some mentally ill beneficiaries to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System"

That includes "those who have been deemed mentally incapable of managing their financial affairs".

Now, maybe it's just me, but if someone is so mentally ill that they can't balance a checkbook or keep track of how much they make a year or keep a household budget, then maybe they shouldn't own a gun. In my mind, that's not a mental illness like depression, general anxiety, or OCD - that's "severely mentally ill".

Also, A+ Fox News trolling with the Chicago stuff. Maybe you should stop getting your information from Trump shills. Here are the facts as it relates to Chicago:

Yes, gun deaths rose by 61 percent between 2015 and 2016. But let's put that in to context. First, Chicago DOES NOT have the most stringent gun laws in the nation. They USED TO. But you see, in 2008 the Supreme Court ruled it's hand gun ban was unconstitutional. It also had a concealed carry ban until 2013 when a state law superseded it. What happened after that? Gun deaths increased. Who knew?!

Also, it's important to note that Chicago is in proximity to two states with very WEAK gun laws: Wisconsin and Indiana. Neither Wisconsin nor Indiana requires licenses or permits to purchase a gun, for example, nor do they require waiting periods. A 2015 study of guns in Chicago, co-authored by Cook, found that more than 60 percent of new guns used in Chicago gang-related crimes and 31.6 percent used in non-gang-related crimes between 2009 and 2013 were bought in other states.

So, your argument about the mental health requirement and your dog whistle about Chicago are both basically a pile of coiled dog shit.

The ironic thing is, I'm pro-gun. I think most liberals look stupid when they talk about guns - and I'm a fucking liberal myself. I'm also not someone who is going to go watch MSNBC or Fox News and decide which talking point my side should thinks I should regurgitate.

As my post above said, let's discuss this rationally and with the facts, rather than ideologically entrenched warfare.

-- The Rick

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1768
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 10-5-2017 at 07:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
So, your argument about the mental health requirement and your dog whistle about Chicago are both basically a pile of coiled dog shit.

The ironic thing is, I'm pro-gun. I think most liberals look stupid when they talk about guns - and I'm a fucking liberal myself. I'm also not someone who is going to go watch MSNBC or Fox News and decide which talking point my side should thinks I should regurgitate.

We will agree to disagree on this point. As it pertains to the legacy media like MSNBC, Fox and CNN, they are all full of shit. They are nothing but corporate owned entities that spew nonsense. Their only purpose is to line their pockets. Anyone who gets their news from televised news media, is a sucker.

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10540
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 10-5-2017 at 10:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
well, i was naked and wasn't wearing my holster........

Common sense here. I like guns too. I want to have sex with them, and/or with the big-titted girls in bikinis firing them. Just cut through the bullshit because every single pro-gun argument that goes beyond a right to property ownership is a complete crock. George III isn't coming back to seize and redistribute your precious white women among the blacks, and Fidel Castro or the Area 51 greys or the black helicopters aren't coming for you either. If you believe that or any of that other horseshit that the NRA or the other maniacs push then you're the type of person who wouldn't be allowed to have a gun if gun ownership were simply predicated on passing an IQ test first.

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 981
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 10-5-2017 at 11:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Eh, I work in a northside neighborhood in Chicago. I have never personally felt unsafe. That said, there are a few very bad neighborhoods and they do export their problems around the city somewhat. There have been a few incidents near where I work where people have been robbed and twice shot.

I agree with some of the other posters. In truth, given how easy it is to get a gun just outside Chicago, it is hard to have gun laws work that well for a city that isn't walled off from the rest of America.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3943
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 10-7-2017 at 07:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Lloyd Wright
Blah blah what about Chicago. Blah blah

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/12/us/gun-traffickers-smuggling-state-gun-laws.html?smid=fb-share

This is an article describing how easy it is to run guns to places like Chicago from other states that have lax laws. Feel free to share.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2411
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 10-7-2017 at 08:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I grew up in Indiana, where fireworks were illegal. We did, however, live close to the Ohio border, where they were very legal. Come summertime, as the 4th would approach, stands would be set up, literally within ten feet of the state line alongside the highway, with giant FIREWORKS FOR SALE signs.

While I'm sure the gun dealers are a -little- more subtle than that, I imagine the situations along the Indiana and Missouri borders to Illinois are a little bit along those lines.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1937
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 11-5-2017 at 10:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
One guy walked into a church in Texas this morning and killed (as of the last count I saw) an estimated 27 people.

One guy. Killed 27 people.

Out of respect for the victims, please don’t politicize this tragedy. Instead, please offer thoughts and prayers.

And don’t even think about saying the word “gun.” Except for “One [or more] gun(s), please,” when you go out to buy a gun. Which you should totally do.

[Edited on 11-5-2017 by Cherokee Jack]

I'm Cherokee Jack!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7733
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 11-6-2017 at 12:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
One guy walked into a church in Texas this morning and killed (as of the last count I saw) an estimated 27 people.

One guy. Killed 27 people.

Out of respect for the victims, please don’t politicize this tragedy. Instead, please offer thoughts and prayers.

And don’t even think about saying the word “gun.” Except for “One [or more] gun(s), please,” when you go out to buy a gun. Which you should totally do.

[Edited on 11-5-2017 by Cherokee Jack]

Thoughts are with those inconvenienced by this.

No prayers because if people being gunned down in church isn’t enough to make you realize how little praying does to prevent this, nothing will.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 11-6-2017 at 12:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think I'm just going to be proactive and start sending my thoughts and prayers now to the victims of the next mass shooting that will occur in roughly three to four weeks.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8842
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 11-6-2017 at 01:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
f the next mass shooting that will occur in roughly three to four weeks.

I'm going to bet the over on this. Not by much, mind you, but > 3-4 weeks. I think we get past Thanksgiving and into December, but we don't exit 2017 without 'next'.

Don't Mess With Texas

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3943
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 11-6-2017 at 02:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
f the next mass shooting that will occur in roughly three to four weeks.

I'm going to bet the over on this. Not by much, mind you, but > 3-4 weeks. I think we get past Thanksgiving and into December, but we don't exit 2017 without 'next'.

I will take the under, if we are including other acts of mass violence (see truck running down people on a bike path)

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11518
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 11-15-2017 at 01:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Another one.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-norcal-elementary-school-shooting-20171114-story.html

"Gunman kills 4, injures 2 children in shootings at several places in Northern California, including a school"

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

The Finale: 3-D vs. Doomsday Device

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7733
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 11-15-2017 at 01:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Does 4 people count as mass shooting still?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/14/564117257/at-least-3-reported-dead-after-shooting-at-school-other-locations-in-california

9 days....9 fucking days and more kids are Shot at I n a place (elementary school) where they should be fucking safe as could be.

But again, thoughts go out to those inconvenienced by this totally unavoidable event.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8842
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 11-15-2017 at 03:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOMike “wins”

Don't Mess With Texas

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3943
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

posted on 11-15-2017 at 02:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top