The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Poll: Finals: Savage/Steamboat vs. Hart/Austin
Savage/Steamboat 11 (0%) -»
Hart/Austin 28 (0%) -»
Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finals: Savage/Steamboat vs. Hart/Austin
Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11518
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 12-5-2016 at 11:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Finals: Savage/Steamboat vs. Hart/Austin

Savage/Steamboat

"Macho Man" Randy Savage (C) vs. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat
for the WWF Intercontinental Championship from WWF WrestleMania III on 3/29/1987

Hart/Austin

Bret "The Hitman" Hart vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin
Submission match w/ Special Referee Ken Shamrock from WWF WrestleMania 13 on 3/23/1997

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

The Finale: 3-D vs. Doomsday Device

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8842
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 12-6-2016 at 12:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Savage/Steamboat all the way. I got into wrestling around this time so there's the combination of both it being a fabulous match in and of itself plus some memberberrying that gives it the nod for me.

Totally get how others would vote for Austin/Hart though. It's kinda difficult to argue the pros of one or why it should go over the other.

[Edited on 12-5-2016 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8842
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 12-6-2016 at 06:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
Final poll is up! Vote, explain, debate!

A bunch of the first.

Me alone on the middle.

None of the last, although as I said not sure how much debate there can be.

At least do the 'splain part, people.

Don't Mess With Texas

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 12-6-2016 at 06:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
On the OO Forums main page, it's still advertising the Final Four matches, so maybe not everyone is aware we've reached the last round yet?

As for the matchup at hand, well, there are any number of totally valid arguments that could be made for either match, but I'm going with Bret/Austin. I think the main reason is that, in addition to being a classic match, it has pretty big historical significance. You get the face turn of Steve Austin, which lead to arguably the biggest face run in WWE history and a little thing called the Attitude Era. You get the heel turn of Bret Hart, which ultimately lead to the Montreal Screwjob. And you get Austin gushing blood as he attempts to not pass out from the Sharpshooter, which is one of the most iconic shots in WWE history. And hey, you even can throw in the WWE debut of Ken Shamrock, who was pretty big during the Attitude Era.

So yeah, this is probably the epitome of "there is no wrong choice here," but the historical impact that Bret/Austin had is what earns it the nod from me.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 12-6-2016 at 05:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Think I'll rewatch them both before voting. Color me happy we are SFM free in the finals so we all get trophies either way.

"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

Cherokee Jack
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1935
Registered 2-24-2009
Location New Orleans, LA

Mood:

posted on 12-6-2016 at 06:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm with goon. In a vacuum, Savage/Steamboat is probably the better pure "wrestling match." But in a competition like this historical significance/impact has to be taken into consideration, and perhaps no match in history has more of that than this one. MAYBE the Montreal Screwjob itself, but as goon pointed out, even that perhaps doesn't happen if it isn't for this match.

Hart/Austin it is.

I'm Cherokee Jack!

TexasWrestlingFan
ButtViper

Posts 1
Registered 11-21-2016

Mood:

posted on 12-7-2016 at 07:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Was lucky enough to have seen both matches and just for pure wrestling expertise imo, it has to be Savage - Steamboat. The athletic ability that both men exhibited made it remarkable and memorable.
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 12-7-2016 at 08:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They're both fantastic matches with high drama and great wresting. I voted Bret/Austin because the end of the match with the double turn that completes the story of this match puts it just one hair above the wonderful story that Savage and Steamboat tell.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Sportsguy
Showstopper

Posts 932
Registered 10-17-2009
Location Illinois

Mood:

posted on 12-8-2016 at 01:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
They're both fantastic matches with high drama and great wresting. I voted Bret/Austin because the end of the match with the double turn that completes the story of this match puts it just one hair above the wonderful story that Savage and Steamboat tell.

Yep

janerd75
The Man

Posts 5928
Registered 1-28-2013
Location THE WORST IN THE WOOOOORLD

Mood: I STILL GOT IT!

posted on 12-8-2016 at 01:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I thought Savage/Steamboat was the better match, though not by much aesthetically or workratewise, but like goon mentioned Austin/Hart had far greater overall implications down the road. Though in a vacuum without wandering off down the road of figuring out what ripple effect the matches had going forward, I personally liked the grit and gristle of the Austin/Hart match more.

Because cool shit like this...

Janny 11:19 says I JUST ATE YOUR ASS

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Psychofish
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1853
Registered 5-23-2006
Location Location Location

Mood: :booM

posted on 12-8-2016 at 06:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Savage/Steamboat stole the show at WMIII, and it's been my favourite match ever since.

Beer Money Podcast: A podcast about hockey and other stuff.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2405
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 12-9-2016 at 12:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I voted for Hart/Austin. It has more rewatch value for me and just holds my attention throughout and is two guys just at the peak of their powers. Savage/Steamboat is obviously great, too, and I'm surprised Hart/Austin is winning in SUCH a blowout.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 12-9-2016 at 02:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherokee Jack
But in a competition like this historical significance/impact has to be taken into consideration, and perhaps no match in history has more of that than this one.

Aha. The innocence of youth!

J/K Jack but thanks for the laugh!

I went Steamboat/Savage cuz it entertained me again...and more. Kinda odd, as of these four, Hart was my favorite and Savage my least favorite.

"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7518
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 12-9-2016 at 02:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
Savage/Steamboat is obviously great, too, and I'm surprised Hart/Austin is winning in SUCH a blowout.

Was thinking the same thing. Given that Savage/Steamboat has such a high reputation in the world of wrestling and is generally considered one of the greatest matches ever, I thought this would be a lot closer. Though I guess the historical significance of Bret/Austin is what may be steering the voting in that direction.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9445
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 12-19-2016 at 04:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I watched Hart/Austin for the first time in a while last night, mainly due to this showdown (along with my girlfriend who had never seen it) and...I don't know. It didn't quite blow my mind as much as I remembered. I'd probably still vote for it but so much of it is more of the "hardcore" variety with a bunch of punching, kicking, and crowdwork vs. the technical side. And I actually love having this vs. Savage/Steamboat since that's basically the pinnacle of "technical" wrestling.

All that said, Hart and Austin may have other matches with other performers that I personally love more but I'm fine with this finish.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top