The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nintendo Switch
DriftThroughTime
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1222
Registered 4-25-2005
Location LA

Mood:

posted on 4-19-2019 at 02:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Wow, DriftThroughTime reappearing on OO...hell has frozen over! Welcome back buddy, don't be such a stranger in these parts.

Aw, you missed me! I missed this place. I wandered off for a bit, and lately realized after almost a decade of Reddit that there's a sense of community here I couldn't find there. I'm glad to see you and a few other familiar faces here!

I got my Switch on launch night, as is my MO with Nintendo gear. And of course, I've loved it since day one. I started traveling twice a month for work, and the Switch makes it so easy to keep my gaming continuity that I think I game now more than I ever have.

I've also had a great time watching my friends slowly realize they want one and then, after getting it, saying "why did I wait so long?" Of course, budgets are budgets...

I agree that no VC is its big glaring weakness. Give me my portable GameCube!

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7515
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-19-2019 at 07:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DriftThroughTime
I agree that no VC is its big glaring weakness. Give me my portable GameCube!

Yeah, considering the Switch has been out for two years now, it's pretty disappointing that we haven't gotten anything other than NES games. I kind of get them holding off on releasing SNES stuff, just because they were pushing the SNES Classic roughly a year ago, but still...considering how much Nintendo likes to re-release their games, it's kind of mind-boggling to think that two years into the Switch's life we still don't at least have SNES or N64 titles.

Though really, it seems like the concept of the Virtual Console, at least as it existed on the Wii, is dead. The eShop is kind of an all-encompassing thing where the games aren't grouped by what system they originally appeared on (for instance, there technically is a tiny smattering of third party SNES, N64, and even Gamecube titles on the eShop) and it's just a whole different setup than what the Virtual Console was ten years ago.

DriftThroughTime
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1222
Registered 4-25-2005
Location LA

Mood:

posted on 4-19-2019 at 07:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Though really, it seems like the concept of the Virtual Console, at least as it existed on the Wii, is dead. The eShop is kind of an all-encompassing thing where the games aren't grouped by what system they originally appeared on (for instance, there technically is a tiny smattering of third party SNES, N64, and even Gamecube titles on the eShop) and it's just a whole different setup than what the Virtual Console was ten years ago.

It almost seems like they want to redefine both a) the value prop of a next-gen system and b) the value of a classic game.

Perhaps they don't want to have a system heralded for how many older games it plays. That would explain why, in your words, the eShop is all-encompassing and doesn't filter, tag or categorize by VC terms.

And maybe they realize that there are more profitable wats to monetize rereleases, and that's why they went the way of the paid subscription NSO. A subscription sale guarantees an annual recurring profit equal to two or three VC games, and that's a better bet than hoping someone will buy more than two or three VC games a year. It's why Netflix crushed the brick and mortar rental scene.

So while I don't like good they've done what they're doing, it makes sense. They're probably eyeing their NSO sales and renewals and seeing if they think they can use other VC offerings as bait.

[Edited on 4-19-2019 by DriftThroughTime]

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7515
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-20-2019 at 04:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DriftThroughTime
And maybe they realize that there are more profitable wats to monetize rereleases, and that's why they went the way of the paid subscription NSO. A subscription sale guarantees an annual recurring profit equal to two or three VC games, and that's a better bet than hoping someone will buy more than two or three VC games a year. It's why Netflix crushed the brick and mortar rental scene.

So while I don't like good they've done what they're doing, it makes sense. They're probably eyeing their NSO sales and renewals and seeing if they think they can use other VC offerings as bait.

That makes sense and I'm actually fine with Nintendo using their old school stuff as a perk/enticement for signing up for their online service but, in classic Nintendo fashion, I just wish they'd release more than three games a month. Not to mention I don't think they've officially said anything on whether or not SNES, N64, etc games will eventually be included (which is also kind of classic Nintendo).

But otherwise, I'll gladly pay my twenty bucks a year if it means access to Nintendo's back catalog of games.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

DriftThroughTime
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1222
Registered 4-25-2005
Location LA

Mood:

posted on 4-23-2019 at 07:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Goon, I see you have Yooka-Laylee. How do you like it? I feel like we're Nintendo brothers and probably would have similar takes on it. I didn't play Banjo-Kazooie until way too late - 2013 in fact - and it seems entirely in service to Banjo lovers. I feel like YL wouldn't mean as much to me because I don't have that nostalgia from Banjo, and I think I recall you and Gooker getting Banjo back when it first released.
the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7515
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 4-24-2019 at 07:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, Banjo-Kazooie is probably my favorite game of all time and I did own it way back when in 1998, so I've been enjoying Yooka-Laylee quite a bit. It's not perfect, but it does a pretty damn good job of recreating that N64 era Banjo/Rare magic, especially the music (which was apparently done by the same guy who did the music for Banjo-Kazooie). And I haven't played too far into the game yet, as I'm still collecting stuff in the first world, but it's probably sitting at about 7.5/10 territory with me as of now.

Though if you don't have the love and nostalgia for Banjo-Kazooie that I have, your mileage may vary on Yooka-Laylee. It's a fun enough platformer on it's own, but a large part of the appeal is that it kind of serves as an unofficial new Banjo game. Also, I'd recommend picking it up when it's on sale (I got it for $20), as I don't think it's quite worth the full $40 price it normally goes for on the eShop.

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2335
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 4-24-2019 at 04:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yookah-Layley was awesome. I really thought that game was great! Last boss was even super challenging.

Glad to know you guys are loving your switch!

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8260
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 4-24-2019 at 11:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Info is about a month old, so there's a chance you guys already know... if you subscribe to Amazon Prime, you get a free year of NSO. It's stackable too, which is nice. Just Google it, there's tons of articles about it and how to redeem the offer.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top