The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wrestling fun facts!
G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1174
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 11-23-2016 at 01:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I vote Mark Henry.
Flash
The Great One

Posts 3533
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 11-23-2016 at 02:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You guys got it all wrong...

Ms. Kitty.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 11894
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 11-23-2016 at 03:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Eddie Guerrero, of course!
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
CheMateo
Showstopper

Posts 867
Registered 1-9-2008
Location Charming, Ca.

Mood: Ponce De Leon

posted on 11-26-2016 at 11:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey, thanks Janerd. I had never seen a video clip of Beulah before. Just a photo spread . I wonder if their daughters are aware. Roughly sixteen years later I get to see the much hyped Gorgeous George clip. I am thankful I never paid that pederast, Rob Feinstein for it and got to see it for free many years after the fact.
royberto
Showstopper

Posts 673
Registered 2-27-2014

Mood: Troll Detector

posted on 11-26-2016 at 10:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CheMateo
quote:
Originally posted by Flash

*Hogan's combined losses through his WWE and WCW career... 9 people he put over...
What a piece of crap. Never gave back to the business. Just leached.

quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
Mr. Fuji once fed a man his own dog (unbeknownst to the man at the time until Fuji revealed it) for some sort of relatively minor reason that I currently can't recall (other than that the more I hear about Fuji, the more I realize he was fucking crazy).

Hmmm, maybe this served as the inspiration for the beloved Al Snow/Pepper/Bossman angle.

Ever wonder how Cactus Jack got his trademark scar on his left arm? Foley forgot the spot but it was from the second Leatherface during a six man tag at the Tokyo Dome for IWA Japan. Leatherface took his chainsaw to Foley's arm.

After killing himself with way too many elbow drops to the concrete. Cactus needed a new finisher. Cactus asked James Cornette for ideas. Cornette suggested the mandible claw.

Who invented the mandible claw? Sam Shepphard, the real life John Kimble, who served as the inspiration for "The Fugitive" television series and film. Shepphard, who maintained his innocence till his death, was a doctor. After the hoopla of his trial and prison sentence Shepphard became a wrestler. Using his anatomical knowledge he invented the mandible claw. Cactus used the the mandible claw on Mikey Whipwreck to no heat. Using the claw as Mankind on Taker, when his opponents would froth early on, got tons of heat!
The froth was created by biting down on an Alka Seltzer

royberto
Showstopper

Posts 673
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 11-26-2016 at 10:33 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dominator
It's an inside joke in the business. A lot of wrestlers have a Shit My Pants story. All that bouncing around can squeeze something the wrong way and there's Orton. (couldn't resist)
Then there is Dusty Rhodes's "Mufflah" story.

royberto
Showstopper

Posts 673
Registered 2-27-2014

posted on 11-26-2016 at 10:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
There's a clip on YouTube where someone claims in the description that it's footage of Owen falling. I refuse to click on it and won't post it a link to it here but everyone else can make up their own mind about viewing it I guess.
I guarantee you it ist't.

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3533
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 11-28-2016 at 07:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looking at the WWE heavyweights championship (1963-present) there have been a total of 48 different men* to hold the title; by decades the numbers vary considerably:

1960's: 2, Rogers, Sammartino
1970's: 5, Morales, Graham, Stasiak, Backlund, and Koloff. (*and 6 if you count Inoki, who's reigns is not counted as he refused the title, but did technically beat champion Backlund for the title)
1980's: 4, Sheikh, Hogan, Andre, and Savage

Now the 90's is where it gets really interesting... 16 different men held the championship in the 1990's, with 1999 leading the way with 4 separate title holders, followed closely behind by 1998 with 3... overall, the later half of the decade (probably to compete with WCW, and the ever increasing number of monthly PPV's where something needed to happen) leads the way in new champions... note that this doesn't even begin to touch on actual title changes... for that 1999 saw 11 different title changes alone.

The 2000's are close behind, with 12 new champs from 2000-2009.... for those keeping count at home, there were 43 different title changes in that stretch, so about a title change every 2.7 months(?).

And last but not least, from 2010-2016 we are sitting at 9 new champs... with a short list of maybe Cesaro, Balor, Zayn, and maybe 1-2 off the script guys who might emerge as champions it seems unlikely that the peak of the 90's, but with 3 years remaining in the 2010's there's a very likely chance that the 2000's will be beat.

What's really crazy is that from 2002 to what... 2014 I think... there was a whole other World Heavyweight title kicking around with it's own list of new champs and title changes, and 2016 saw the titles split again...

So is the argument that the title means less? Our attention spans are collectively shorter? Or that the WWE has transitioned from a STAR/TOP GUY model, to the product being the selling point where multiple stars are more important?

CCharger
The Great One

Posts 3655
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Covfefe

posted on 12-2-2016 at 12:50 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fun Fact: Shawn Michaels was the lowest drawing champion of the modern era.

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

"The powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned."
--- Stephen Miller, Trump senior White House advisor, Feb. 12, 2017

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3533
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 12-2-2016 at 06:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That actually makes a lot of sense, as HBK's peak time at the top when the champ was looked at as the guy to carry the ball wrestling was in a downturn, and then WCW blew up and was killing the WWF. (wouldn't surprise me if Hart's run at the top was also low on the list of money makers, although I seem to remember reading something that his European tours did phenomenally well... but really, before Hart how many times did the WWE even go to Europe... so again you are stuck with a product vs star argument)

By the time HBK came back you already had Austin carry the company to its highest peaks, with the WWE brand itself kind of taking precedence over any one top guy (which HBK was a part of that mix). I don't have the numbers to back it up, but it would not surprise me if once you get past Austin, and maybe Rock, if it wasn't really until Cena came along that you got one guy a la old champion/top guy model that was a clear cut head and shoulder above the rest carrying the company once again.

merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 12-4-2016 at 05:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
quote:
Originally posted by merc
Have we not gone retro yet? Time to move the thread so we can talk about the NWA and how a typo split the belt. BW greatness!

Details por favor!

SJ,
Sorry for the lengthy delay. Besides forgetting about it, it took a while to find a simple history. I was wrong on the typo part being important, it was just an edit in a single newspaper that played out at about the same time making it look like a split/unification. Here's what actually happened.

I quote from the British website: http://nwawrestle.weebly.com/the-nwa-heritage.html

"In the late 1920s the championship fragmented, being recognized by various governing bodies. Like in today's boxing there are champions recognized by WBA WBC, IBF and so on, back in the 1920s the wrestling champion was variously recognized by:

- The National Wrestling Association (part of the National boxing Association)
- The American Wrestling Association
- The New York State Athletic Commission.

In the 1930s the titles were once again unified by champion Danno O'Mahoney but after his reign it once again splintered and there was also separate recognition of champions by the Ring Magazine and by the Midwest Wrestling Association.

The Midwest Wrestling Association evolved into a group called the National Wrestling Alliance which existed completely independently of the other NWA, the much older National Wrestling Association.

In 1949 the NWAssociation champion Lou Thesz, who had direct lineage back to the original champions Gotch and Hackenschmidt was scheduled to meet NWAlliance champion Orville Brown. The latter suffered a car crash and so Lou Thesz was recognized as the second NWAlliance World Heavyweight Champion. Thesz was also still the NWAssociation champion.

Many people believe the NWAssociation folded in 1949 with the title unification but this is not the case. The Association still existed as its own entity well into the 1970s, recognizing the NWA champion. It is for this reason that we, like PWI, recognize the NWA title going back through the NWAssociation to the original title.

NWAlliance president Sam Muchnick reported on Thesz's 1949 title win and stated "Thesz's claim to the title is via lineal descent from the immortal Frank Gotch."

"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

TexShark300
The Rowdy One

Posts 2245
Registered 12-7-2005
Location West Texas

Mood: I Will Do Better

posted on 12-6-2016 at 03:53 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Random thought that struck me last night seeing AJ holding the WWE title.

Only two men have ever held both the NWA and WWF/E World Titles

Ric Flair
AJ Styles

The Hogan/Savage/Hart/Nash/Goldberg/Steiner/Sid/etc..s all held the WCW Title after the WCW/NWA split

The Hardy/Angle/RVD/Foley/etc...s all held the TNA Title after the TNA/NWA agreement ended.

Christian held the NWA Title, but, held the Big Gold Belt World Title, which is considered separate.

OOWF Historian

Life is about choices. You can choose to have a Good Attitude or you can choose to have a Bad Attitude.
- Msgt Hal D. Aaron
1953-2007

House watches TNA. He goes bowling. I Knew I liked that show for a reason.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   TexShark300 's Yahoo
G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1174
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 12-6-2016 at 01:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Also Buddy Rogers.
Flash
The Great One

Posts 3533
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-30-2017 at 07:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not sure if I'm the only one who whiffed on this for all of these years; or if it's actually kind of an obscure tip of the hat; but Santino Marella's name is actually an homage to Robert "Gorilla Monsoon" Marella!

Had Vince lost his 1993 steroid trial and gone to prison it was down to either Linda, or Gorilla for who would run the then WWF in his absence.

[Edited on 8-30-2017 by Flash]

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7806
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 8-30-2017 at 07:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The one insane WWE legend I want to know more about is about how former wrestler/backstage gofer Tony Garea has a lifetime job with the company because he provides snuff films for Vince McMahon to get his jollies to. It looks like some kind of a fucked up offshoot of Kevin Dunn having similar employment because his father, Dennis, saved all of Vince's 1950's beefcake bodybuilding photos and films from being destroyed in a vehicle fire. Yeah, I know it's a joke (hopefully) but any information on where the Garea joke originated (internet, pre-internet) would be welcome. It's kind of like the legend of Mr. Belvedere, where they had to shut down production of the show for a week because the guy who played Mr. Belvedere injured himself when he sat on his own balls.

[Edited on 8/30/2017 by Paddlefoot]

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3533
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-30-2017 at 08:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Weirdly enough the Mr. Belvedere story is true; although it seems to be a case of the origin being somewhat in debate... he either did it during a table read, or fell backwards into his convertible during a parade and injured the boys.

Garea is probably just one of those guys, like Gorilla, that VJM had in mind when he sold the WWF to VKM on the condition that he take care of those guys who were loyal to him for years. As for the snuff film rumour: I did some digging and can only find a couple of quick references to it... like it's been a story for at least 4-5 years back that people have referenced, but a google search on it only comes up with like 2 pages worth of results and %95 of them have nothing to do with Garea... so you've got me on that one...

Can anyone flesh out the Garea story a bit more?

Also, I found this (safe link): http://pwchronicle.blogspot.ca/2006/01/history-vince-mcmahons-troubled-1998.html?m=1

Vince going crazy on AOL back in 1998... real? Not real? Maybe the Cranky Vince twitter account really is McMahon.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 7806
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 8-30-2017 at 08:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Cranky Vince account was where I first saw the references to snuff films and Tony Garea. Basically been laughing about it ever since because it was so far out there, even in terms of the terrified bootlicks at Stamford desperately trying to keep the Chairman satisfied and quiet. It was a genuine tragedy when Twitter caved in to the pressure from WWE and shut down Cranky Vince because it was one of the out-and-out funniest Vince-related bits of internet insanity that ever existed.

You know, everyone says it's not supposed to make sense, like that's the whole point, dude. And I'm just saying, you know, that's like an excuse for lazy storytelling. Just don't sell me shite and tell me it's gold, all right? I might be stoned, but I'm not high. You know what I mean?
- Cassidy from Preacher, commenting on The Big Lebowski and/or professional wrestling

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top