The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: NHL 16-17
bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6453
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 3-1-2017 at 10:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash
unless Gauthier can shift to the wing, Toronto is looking pretty deep up the middle now with Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Bozak, Kadri, and Boyle either playing up the middle full time, or eventually going to move there.

I hate people saying Nylander is a center...even more so Marner. Nylander at center takes away from his game, and honestly, he feels like the perfect fit to play long term with Matthews. People forget how hard it was to find a winger for Sundin, the Leafs should leave Nylander on the wing.

As for Marner...he wasn't right as a center for the Knights...I just don't see any reason to move him from the wing. Let him be him, pair him with a defensive center who can win faceoffs and chip in just enough offense and you have two lines for years and years to come.

As for the East wild card...

Does anybody really think there's no chance Price couldn't win 16 straight? I know that idea makes me vomit...but as bad as the Habs have been lately, they still have one of the top 5 guys in the league and he plays a position that can win a cup almost single handily.

I also think it depends on who finishes in the 2/3 spots for the Atlantic. If Boston stays on track and wins that matchup, they could be a grind to go against in round 2. Ottawa feels like the team most likely to go out quickly. Florida and Toronto have youth and a lot of inexperience (outside Jagr) but Lou or Freddy getting hot could be enough with all that talent up front.

Worst...yet somehow better...Reimer going HAM and leading the Panthers on a run.

Oh and biggest news of the day...Dan and Jay are coming back to TSN! If you are a Blue Jackets fan, this is the best news ever. Why?

BOBROVSKY!

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3225
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 3-1-2017 at 10:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was just going off what they (Marner, Nylander) were drafted as when I said "or eventually"... if one, or both can grow into a dominant centre fantastic, if they become great wingers that suits me fine as well... I'd rather a player not be forced into being a good or decent centre when their talents rest elsewhere, but at the same time at this young of an age for both players I'd rather not rule out anything either as both can develop a lot further.
Count Zero
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1827
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: So Raven

posted on 3-2-2017 at 12:18 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
DAN AND JAY ARE COMING BACK????

YES! YES! YES! YES!

Seriously, I'm that kind of nerd. I was hoping the Fox thing wouldn't work out (but only after J&D cashed the presumably large cheques), and they could come back to TSN. This is a happy day for me.

"It's a WWE tradition, to do something un-right." --Paddlefoot

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3608
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 3-2-2017 at 01:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow... Bob was horrible as a Flyer...

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6453
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 3-3-2017 at 10:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
Wow... Bob was horrible as a Flyer...

Aren't all goalies terrible as a Flyer? Like would Price be any good on that team? It really is where good goalie's go to die.

Count Zero
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1827
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 3-3-2017 at 10:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hextall was a pretty good Flyers goalie? And since then, um....

.. I got nothin.

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6453
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 3-4-2017 at 01:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Count Zero
Hextall was a pretty good Flyers goalie?

Hextall's best moment...

Count Zero
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1827
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

posted on 3-4-2017 at 11:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I also enjoyed it when Hexy scored goals.

[Edited on 3-4-2017 by Count Zero]

"It's a WWE tradition, to do something un-right." --Paddlefoot

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3225
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 3-5-2017 at 02:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Hextall's best moment...

Jesus that was a crazy game... like I remember the last several minutes just being a tonne of fights... plus, I do believe the Leafs actually won that contest against a much better Flyers team at the time.

ETA: Nope, looked it up and looks like they lost 3-1.

[Edited on 3-5-2017 by Flash]

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3608
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 3-20-2017 at 12:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
10ish games left, and Caps, Hawks, and Jackets have clinched the post season, and only Avalanche eliminated. What a season, Jackets have played 70+ games and they are still not being taken seriously by several hockey "experts".

Jackets play the Caps twice in the next two weeks, should go a long way to settling the President's Trophy, but the Pens are also lurking and play the Jackets one more time this season.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

bigfatgoalie
The Man

Posts 6453
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

posted on 3-22-2017 at 09:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jackets are good...but they are streaky, and young. So yeah, lots of folks are going to think they are a step below the Caps and Pens. Caps have been solid for years, and the Pens have the best player in the game.

Game tonight should be a good one, and hopefully a full two points for Toronto. Things for you to watch for from Toronto are Zach Hyman forechecking, Nylander's shot, Marner's passing, and the PK. I'm assuming you know to watch for Matthews.

And something not to look forward to, but is starting to be a thing...the Islanders and will they move John Taveres. If they do...man will there be a lot of teams lining up. Something that will likely make this a thing from now until he signs a contract (or actually is traded) is people looking at what they'd want (NHL roster centre, 1st round pick, top quality prospects) and realizing major markets like Boston, Rangers, and Toronto could all probably give the Islanders something to seriously consider. Bozak, Kapanen, Leisic, and picks would be a lot for one season...but if JT is willing to sign an extension I think Toronto would through in another prospect (Bracco?).

A sleeper destination could be the Ducks if the Islanders just want young defense.

Flash
The Great One

Posts 3225
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 3-23-2017 at 10:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm thinking July 1's biggest news is going to be the Islanders resigning Tavares to a long term deal... Unless Tavares is set on going elsewhere (he's still saying the right things about wanting to be an islander) there is no way the Islanders can have that hanging over their head for the last year of his contract, and to trade him for anything short of a new franchise player would probably be a bit of a coffin nail in the team in terms of keeping their fans happy.

There is a lot of talent in the Islanders system, but they need, and can probably afford to pay what Tavares would command.

If for some crazy reason Tavares does become available I wonder if Detroit would be a destination... New Arena... yeah they probably need an influx of talent via the draft and good trades, but Tavares would be still young enough to build around and Detroit has never been shy about spending. Plus, with Datsyuk off the books that's about $7m free for a team that had cap space anyway.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top