Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 1-5-2017 at 02:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
Maybe I'm delusional, but I'm really feeling a Miami upset over the Steelers. Pittsburgh isn't THAT good, and Miami has played very well of late. If their running game can get going, the Dolphins have a real chance.

Super Bowl Prediction:

Green Bay over Kansas City.

Seems like your delusions come and go. Pretty common.

I too like fish over Pitt, although the prediction software only gives them a 23% chance.

GB v. KC? Go take your meds

"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3099
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 1-5-2017 at 03:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nah, psychotropic meds are way too unpredictable. You'd be better off just smoking weed.
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6460
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Peninsula del pinga

Mood: COVIDmania

posted on 1-8-2017 at 08:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

“A wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that you’re afraid of.” - Jake The Snake

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8359
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 1-8-2017 at 09:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jesus. At this point, I think the Steelers would have a harder time against the Miami Heat, the Miami Marlins or the Miami Sound Machine.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6460
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 1-8-2017 at 09:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thhree turnoversh ish too musch...

This is the worst thing to happen for South Florida in, like, forever. Except for, y'know, the thing with the guy at the place the other day.

“A wise man once told me, never turn your back on someone you respect, or that you’re afraid of.” - Jake The Snake

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3099
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 1-9-2017 at 01:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Let Jim Mora echo my thoughts regarding the Dolphins' "performance" today:

And, those assholes cost me twenty dollars.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6460
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 1-9-2017 at 01:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Welp, I guess 1-1 on the day ain't bad. Sorry 'bout yer damned luck dvp. Now extend that haplessnes and frustration going back decades and POOF! you're now a Dolfan.

Good news: I am now a baby mama to Clay Matthews' child as he got me pregnant when he trucked that guy over the loose fumble shenanigans.

Bad news: The only natural predator That Evil Team (I refuse to name the terrorists) has in the wild has now been removed from the jungle. I just hope A. A. Ron Hernandezes el Chapo style tunneling for his Bane stadium surprise will be complete by next weekend.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7854
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-9-2017 at 02:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
Good news: I am now a baby mama to Clay Matthews' child as he got me pregnant when he trucked that guy over the loose fumble shenanigans.

That whole sequence was hilarious, in that nobody outside of Matthews seemed to realize and/or give a shit that it was still a live ball. At least merc doesn't have to worry about Eli Manning being the Patriots' daddy for a third time.

And outside of New England/Houston, all of the games next weekend should be pretty fantastic. I hate Seattle and Atlanta, so it does my heart good to know that one of them will be eliminated next week, while pissing me off that one of them is going to advance to the NFC championship game.

Plus I was 4/4 on my picks this weekend. Everything is happening exactly as I have foreseen...

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3965
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 1-9-2017 at 02:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
When I was watching the Pitt/Mia game with all the late hits, cheap shots I wasn't sure if the Bengals kidnapped the Steelers players and took their uniforms to play the game.

Woke up this morning to hear about Steelers coach arrested at a bar for assault and now I am even more sure it was the Bengals.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

Quentil
Showstopper

Posts 820
Registered 5-13-2003
Location Saratoga Springs, NY

Mood:

posted on 1-10-2017 at 09:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The first batch of playoff games were boring. A bunch of blowouts and without any interesting highlight reels aspects at all.
merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

posted on 1-10-2017 at 05:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Covert ops

merc has attached this image:
Image could not be shown

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3099
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 1-10-2017 at 05:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quentil
The first batch of playoff games were boring. A bunch of blowouts and without any interesting highlight reels aspects at all.

The games were pretty horrible, although I'd argue that Packers/Giants at least had some fireworks. Gotta disagree, though, about no highlight reel material with Green Bay lighting it up and Antonio Brown being twice as fast as anyone who plays for Miami.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12926
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-13-2017 at 01:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Goddammit.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6460
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 1-13-2017 at 02:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
Goddammit.

Yeah, what the H? I kinda peripherally heard about it happening a while ago, promptly forgot, then WHAMMO here we are with one of the OG AFL teams going to LA. Because they clearly need another one.

Always saw them as the West Coast doppelganger to the Fins. Would...would you like to have the Fins?

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9130
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-13-2017 at 03:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Over/under on one of the teams up and moving out of Los Angeles is 9 years. Heavy destination favorite is San Antonio at 3:1.

Don't Mess With Texas

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3965
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 1-13-2017 at 02:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
Over/under on one of the teams up and moving out of Los Angeles is 9 years. Heavy destination favorite is San Antonio at 3:1.

Why not Cleveland? They need a professional football team.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3099
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 1-13-2017 at 04:07 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Goddammit.

I'm sorry, dude. I have a lot of Charger friends who are devastated.

San Diego seems to love that team. What the hell happened? Was the owner just a greedy asshole who couldn't get a new stadium?

salmonjunkie

Posts 12926
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 1-13-2017 at 06:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
quote:
Goddammit.

I'm sorry, dude. I have a lot of Charger friends who are devastated.

San Diego seems to love that team. What the hell happened? Was the owner just a greedy asshole who couldn't get a new stadium?

Specifically couldn't get a new stadium in downtown San Diego (instead of the Mission Valley location where Qualcomm Stadium is now), and couldn't get the city to partially fund it with taxes. The owner pretty much scoffed at all offers from the city regarding staying in the Mission Valley area (which is only 2 miles from downtown, has tons of parking, etc) over the years. A year ago, the NFL gave the Chargers a one year window option to move in with the Rams. The NFL offered to put $300 million into a new stadium.

With the city knowing that there was no way the owners would settle for Mission Valley, there was a proposal during the November election that required a 2/3 vote that would've built a stadium downtown partially funded by a hotel tax - The hotel tax would have gone from 12.5% to 16.5%. It wasn't a terrible idea, ordinary San Diego citizens wouldn't have had a direct tax. However, downtown hospitality groups were super against this. Apparently so were the people, as the city voted no pretty overwhelmingly. Didn't even get 1/2 yes votes let alone 2/3.

And then the Chargers announced they're moving with a stupid uninspired logo yesterday morning to become the LA Clippers of the NFL. Ugh. Leaving San Diego with only their glorified farm team of an MLB club.

[Edited on 1-13-2017 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

posted on 1-13-2017 at 07:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how to assign blame on what's happened in San Diego.

Here, the state of Massachusetts told the Kraft family to go pound sand when they were looking for a new stadium. There was no stadium funding or even Highway improvements, and the city of Boston told them to screw themselves with the downtown location that they preferred.

Armed with all of that public assistance/government support, they built the new stadium beside the old stadium with their own money. The fans filled it. Kinda think that's how it should work. Use "public" money for real social needs.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12926
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 1-13-2017 at 09:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I do. I blame the owner, Dean Spanos. Instead of using a combination of his own money and the NFL's money to even try to make things work, he's splitting town and is leasing the stadium from the Rams.

That and years of boneheaded business and personnel moves haven't helped either.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8055
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-13-2017 at 10:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I mostly blame Spanos but some of this is on San Diego as well. They've caved to the Padres and the Convention Center to make sure the Gaslight District is a destination spot but refused to basically even consider allowing the Chargers into that section of town. I know some of it was Spanos asking for money, but the impression I got was that even if Spanos said he'd completely pay for the stadium himself, San Diego did not want it downtown at all. And I assume a lot of that actually has to do with the Convention Center looking to expand.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3300
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: Titus

posted on 1-14-2017 at 06:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl

Why not Cleveland? They need a professional football team.
Guys.. it's obviously going to be in LONDON. Jeez.

quote:

With the city knowing that there was no way the owners would settle for Mission Valley, there was a proposal during the November election that required a 2/3 vote that would've built a stadium downtown partially funded by a hotel tax - The hotel tax would have gone from 12.5% to 16.5%. It wasn't a terrible idea, ordinary San Diego citizens wouldn't have had a direct tax. However, downtown hospitality groups were super against this. Apparently so were the people, as the city voted no pretty overwhelmingly. Didn't even get 1/2 yes votes let alone 2/3.

Interestingly enough, I might have something to add to this. Listening to ESPN Radio last night, Ian Fitzsimmons (who did the sideline reporting at the Poinsettia Bowl, which was in Sandy Eggo) said he spoke to a few people about the team & that ballot proposal, and one of the security guards at the stadium/event brought up a very salient point.

The 'vote' was apparently ONLY within the "City Of San Diego". Had the vote been COUNTYwide, it might've actually turned out differently.

[Edited on 1-14-2017 by Count Zero]

"At this point Brock is so bulletproof, they could fucking crucify him and he would kick out before the third day." -- ulsterphil

loki
HOMO

Posts 2086
Registered 6-11-2004

Mood: Primed

posted on 1-14-2017 at 06:25 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I heard the story yesterday about SD and my first reaction was to feel bad for Sal. I remember going through this with the Browns. It sucks, and I'm sorry you, and San Diego, and Saint Louis before you, have to go through this crap.

This article made me smile though.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-chargers-move-live-message-to-chargers-we-don-t-want-you-1484238023-htmlstory.html

The "We. Don't.Want.You." line was the best.

quote:
Originally posted by merc

Here, the state of Massachusetts told the Kraft family to go pound sand when they were looking for a new stadium. There was no stadium funding or even Highway improvements, and the city of Boston told them to screw themselves with the downtown location that they preferred.

Armed with all of that public assistance/government support, they built the new stadium beside the old stadium with their own money. The fans filled it. Kinda think that's how it should work. Use "public" money for real social needs.

You're right in that it *should* work that way. But if memory serves, it didn't work that way for the Pats, either. I had vague recollections of them almost moving to Hartford. I used the magic of google to dig up some articles about it:

http://archive.boston.com/sports/blogs/obnoxiousbostonfan/2015/01/when_the_hartford_patriots_almost_happened.html

http://boston.sportsthenandnow.com/2010/06/24/remember-when-the-patriots-almost-moved-to-hartford/

http://www.massnews.com/past_issues/other/5_May/stad~1.htm

The three articles have conflicting info. All agree that MA kicked in money to the new stadium. But then they diverge - one says the Krafts have to pay back the money, one says they have to pay some money back to the state over 25 years, and the last makes no mention of any type of payback. (Side note: Heh. That $70-72 million mentioned seems somehow quaint, now.)

Still, your main point is a good one. In a perfect world, the NFL would go the route of some of the soccer stadiums, where the soccer club pays for it all.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-city-lions/os-orlando-city-soccer-stadium-update-20150529-story.html

Hell, if Spanos had half a brain he would have copied the method the Krafts used when building up Patriots Place. It's not just a stadium - it's a destination area. The place is a miniature city with a thousand and one things to do. Food, movies, shopping - there's even a small nature hiking trail behind the complex. Even when/if the Patriots come back down to earth and have down seasons, the Krafts will still be making money hand over fist with Patriots Place. The Pats are the main driver, sure, but it's grown big enough that it's a huge revenue stream all by itself.

Again, sorry Sal. I hope for San Diego's sake that the Chargers go 0-16 next year and fail to sell out their measly soccer stadium.

[Edited on 1-14-2017 by loki]

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6460
Registered 1-28-2013

posted on 1-16-2017 at 02:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Annnnnnnnnnnd unpucker. *whew* '

Atlanta's raging right now though and the Packer D is...tired. Anywho, great season for the 'Boys. Finally moving on from Tony Bagga No Nutz was The Right Move.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7854
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-16-2017 at 02:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jeez, I think that's the most invested I've been in an NFL game that didn't involve my Panthers in a while. Crazy game and crazy final drive. That 56-yard field goal by the Packers was ballsy as fuck too.

And as much as I hate to say it, credit to Dallas for getting back in that game and taking it down to the wire.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top