The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Netflix "hidden" Gems
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 2-3-2019 at 08:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We watched You a few weeks ago. That was a fun show.

Currently watching Russian Doll. That's been great so far. Natasha Lyonne is amazing in this.

Also, currently watching The Runaways Season 2 on Hulu. I'm really enjoying this so far.

[Edited on 2-3-2019 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Big G
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 80
Registered 4-6-2017

Mood: Flatulent

posted on 2-4-2019 at 09:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah - Polar was fun. I found the casting of Matt Lucas to be a strange yet rewarding choice.

Johnny Knoxville at the start was fun too. One of those - I don't think this character is too much of a stretch for him given what I imagine his normal life to be.

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8260
Registered 7-16-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 2-4-2019 at 09:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I started watching Letterkenny on Hulu the other night... I'm partway through season 2 now. It's pretty funny. I'm sure some of the more colloquial humor/references are going over my head*, but I'm still enjoying it so far.

*We actually have All Dressed chips here. Those started popping up in stores about two or three years ago. Still no ketchup chips, though. And now that gastropubs have become a dime a dozen, poutine isn't exactly hard to find anymore.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 2-6-2019 at 10:59 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I finished Russian Doll. That was fantastic. Great story, and I really liked how they used the time loop device to tell it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-18-2019 at 11:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I feel like someone else might have thrown this out there, but I didn't see it with a quick glance but JEAN CLAUDE VAN JOHNSON is pretty damned awesome.

it's on Prime and is a fun mix of action and comedy as Jean Claude Van Damme plays a fictitious version of himself; basically a has been actor who's now kinda lost in life... Difference is all those B-movies from the 80's and 90's were just a cover for him to carry out top secret spy missions. A chance encounter with a former love of his life leads him to seek out his old life in hopes of winning her back and reclaiming some sense of purpose and glory. In doing so he winds up on the trail of a drug trafficker possibly world domination, and definite #7 track suit manufacturer bad guy, while simultaneously carrying out his cover filming a low budget Bulgarian adaptation of Huckelberry Finn.

There's a dozen references to some old movie of his in every episode, and the show doesn't really pull any punches in terms of just going balls to the wall absurd. I never saw it, but it's like someone watched JCVD and binged some of his movies to get this gem.

Worth checking out.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-22-2019 at 10:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So I've been exploring my Prime content a bit more and happened upon the old Highlander TV series that was in through the mid-90's. I'd seen the odd episode back when it first ran, but I don't think it ever quite settled on a normal day and time (I usually seemed to see it on as Saturday afternoon filler).

Anyway; while it's not a perfect movie the original Highlander movie with Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery is one of my all time favourites... The less said about the second movie the better, and while the third was a vast improvement over the second it was largely a retread of the first... Which brings us to the TV series which serves as a parallel to the original film minus anyone having won "The Prize" and along the way introduces a number of new elements to the story's mythology like Watchers, and the impact from experiencing a quickening.

I'm just starting the 3rd season and while there is a bit of unevenness to the first season while it tries to find it's footing, as it goes on there's some standout episodes. The more "modern" times ie the 90's fashions are terrible in retrospect (but really that was the 90's right?), but when they delve into Ducan MacCloud's history the sets and costuming is top notch. Reading a bit about the show it was an international production; meaning it was never intended for network television thus it conforms to a more European style at times; which probably helps the show age better. They split production between Vancouver (or in the show Seacouver) and Paris, so they wound up snagging some pretty cool on location episodes while in Paris including atop the Eiffel Tower, the Paris Opera, Pont Neuf... etc. I'm also quite impressed with the number of quality name guest stars I've seen in the show thus far; including one episode that starred Roddy Piper (who I had to look closely to recognize him) as an immortal hitman.

Piper wasn't the only wrestler to show up; I know when they did the cross over movie with the TV series and the movies Edge and Christian also showed up... although if memory serves I think Adrian Paul and Lambert showed up on Raw and it pretty much sucked.

Anyway if you liked the movie this is a nice time waster, and a far better successor to the movie than any sequel that followed.

Big G
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 80
Registered 4-6-2017

Mood: Flatulent

posted on 3-14-2019 at 06:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Anyone watched Ricky Gervais's new one? After Life.

I really enjoyed it. Thought I'd give one episode a look and binged the whole 6.

Very sweary

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 3-22-2019 at 06:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've got about an episode or two left of After Life and really great stuff... Maybe some of Gervais's finest writing and acting. I think Extras remains my favourite of his shows, but this deserves all the accolades it's getting.
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10520
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 4-27-2019 at 09:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Black Summer was a lot of fun. It's a non-jokey prelude to Z Nation that shows the initial days/weeks of the zombie apocalypse. Good acting for the most part with some harrowing scenes, like being trapped in some air ducts with one of the vicious fuckers. Even better it was entirely filmed in and around my hometown here in Soviet Canuckistan so while binging it I had some extra fun noticing all the sites and landmarks I've been to over the years.

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8842
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 5-10-2019 at 05:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Watch Anthony Jeselnikís Fire in the Maternity Ward damnit.

Don't Mess With Texas

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 684
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 5-10-2019 at 09:16 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
Watch Anthony Jeselnikís Fire in the Maternity Ward damnit.

Not as good as Thoughts And Prayers but it had its moments.

I know itís been out awhile but I also watched Cocaine Island. That was just kind of odd.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 5-10-2019 at 03:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I watched the entirety of Terrace House - Opening New Doors. It's a Japanese reality show where 6 strangers live in a house together. Yes. I really enjoyed it. It's all sorts of pleasant and nice, almost like how the first two seasons of Real World were. They talk shit out instead of get into fights. It's pretty damn kawaii and I highly enjoyed it. Fight me.
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top