The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Netflix "hidden" Gems
ShawnL
Creepy Little Bastard

Posts 77
Registered 5-18-2004

Mood:

posted on 7-11-2017 at 01:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Nice little film on Netflix: "Final Girl" starring Abigail Breslin.

It sells itself on a twist on the horror genre, but it's something very different.

A girl who is orphaned at a young age is trained to be... well that's not clear, an assassin I guess? As a teen she's given a test run: a pack of teen boys who are serial killers.

The style of the movie is what makes it so wonderfully odd. Very David Lynch like.

Shawn L.
Rockland ME

SpiNNeR72
Showstopper

Posts 984
Registered 10-21-2006
Location Shetland

Mood: Amused!

posted on 7-11-2017 at 10:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash

I'm going to have to see if I can find the old Cracker series as well one of these days...

I rewatched Cracker recently and it seems hard hitting even now, fantastic writing. "One day, a Lemming will fly"

If you like Hinterland, give "Shetland" a go. I'm biased as I live where its set, and the first two specials are not that good (they are adapted from mediocre novels) but series 3 was written as a TV show from the ground up using the same characters and is excellent.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-15-2017 at 07:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
They just added Toast of London to Netflix here in Canada and a big thanks for the recommendation Spinner'- as always Matt Berry is hilarious. I'm only a couple episodes in but just loved the second episode with all the bad romantic entanglements he gets in with the Beak ladies (the stalker and the hoarder).

Great stuff.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7736
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 9-17-2017 at 07:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Atypical was fucking fantastic. It also is one of the few "on the spectrum" shows that show the negatives and difficulties of the "blessing" of Autism.

Plus Tink from The Guild is hot...so it's got that going for it...which is nice..

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 9-28-2017 at 08:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not so much a hidden gem as it's a network show; but the first season of Lethal Weapon (based on the movies) just dropped the other day on Netflix and it's actually pretty entertaining... When I first heard about the show I remember rolling my eyes thinking that this was just another in a long line of evidence that there were no more original thoughts in Hollywood or TV... but I was at a buddy's house when he was watching it and I dug it. It's more like they took the basic on paper formula of the movies; but neither of the leads try and recreate Gibson and Glover's style.

Anyway; it was pretty fun, and has been renewed for a second season.

Quentil
Showstopper

Posts 814
Registered 5-13-2003
Location Saratoga Springs, NY

Mood:

posted on 11-11-2017 at 11:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I have no idea if "The Babysitter" was hyped or not, but it was definitely something I watched on NetFlix tonight and loved the shit out of. It felt self aware in a 90s "Scream" sort of way, and coupled it with modern snark and culture and fun amounts of blood and complete Home Alone meets horror hilarity.

Completely unexpectedly good couple of hours spent.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 692
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 11-13-2017 at 08:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quentil
I have no idea if "The Babysitter" was hyped or not, but it was definitely something I watched on NetFlix tonight and loved the shit out of. It felt self aware in a 90s "Scream" sort of way, and coupled it with modern snark and culture and fun amounts of blood and complete Home Alone meets horror hilarity.

Completely unexpectedly good couple of hours spent.

It was mentioned (and rightfully praised) in the horror film thread. Good fun.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7736
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 11-14-2017 at 05:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So everybody has watched Big Mouth right? Because holy fuck is that shit funny. The cast is amazing, the animation is great, and the writing is some of the dirtiest, funniest, honest shit youíll ever see. Canít recommend enough.
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 12-12-2017 at 04:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I found Big Mouth to be surprising sweet, in a kind of crass, but fitting considering the messed up shit our bodies and emotions were going through at that age... really enjoyed it.

I really enjoyed Greg Davies in Cuckoo; the man is 7' tall, kind of soft around the midsection, and is pretty good at the physical humour; so when I spotted Man Down on there I figured I would check it out... glad that I did as it also starred (at least for the first season due to his untimely death) Rick Mayhall who I fist discovered years ago on Bottom, Black Adder, and Drop Dead Fred.

In a nutshell Man Down is about a perpetual disgruntled man-child named Dan who lives with his parents still, and is recently dumped by his girlfriend... he hates his teaching job, and need to avoid his father who delights in tormenting him with such things like the 12 scares of Christmas, and even wackier things. I'm only into the third series now but have really enjoyed it... a bit more broad than the usual British show, but also nothing like the canned laughter sitcoms of the US either... definitely digging it.

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2412
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA
Member Is Online

Mood: Weird

posted on 12-22-2017 at 10:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I tried out Bushwick, the Batista movie they put up last month, and it was...intense. I knew nothing and just expected some B-movie action flick. But it's dark and bleak and really, really intense. It's all filmed in this sort of continuous shot method, following along as things happen. And it's very creative in not giving out answers quickly, just putting you at ground level amidst chaos and bad shit going down and making everything unpredictable.

Definitely not light fare, but a LOT higher quality movie than I expected when I put it on.

I'll also co-sign on Big Mouth being fucking genius, that show's absolutely great.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 12-23-2017 at 05:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I watched all of Big Mouth last week. It was fucking hilarious.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 2-11-2018 at 09:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Anyone else check out Altered Carbon?

I'll try to be vague, and I've only really watched the first episode, but some spoilers below...

I found the start to be a bit slow, and maybe a touch too artsy to hook you well, but I found that I really dug it and got into it more by the end. I plan to watch the entirety of the first season... I get that they need to do some world building in the first episode, but the first 15 minutes are a bit of a weird juxtaposition of a violent past event, and our anti-hero protagonist waking up 250 years in the future, in a new body... it's not just that you don't know what is going on at the start (which is okay), it's that the visuals are different, we get a very artsy soft credits opening to the show... even the music and action style seem to be against the grain for how action is normally shot... I had to work to get through it, and I'm curious to see if they continue this different visual style in other episodes (A later action scene is much quicker, brutal and up tempo... so they change it up). It's funny; while I found it interesting to watch I felt like something was off while watching, but in writing this I also find I have a new appreciation for them trying something different; and given the theme (see below) of the show the chameleon like way of shooting the show and action scenes is has impressed me more... time will tell as I work my way through.

It is a very sci-fi show... set maybe several hundred years in the future, and as one would expect in a show like this they do a lot of world building... some explicit, but a lot of details about our hero you kind of have to listen for; as he's quite different than everyone else. It sounds like everyone has these discs in their necks which allow you to change bodies (called sleeves) provided the disc is not destroyed... this leads to changes in the prison system, various religious and socio-economic problems (One scene features a child DUI victim being thrown into the body of a much older woman and the family complaining about it, but being told they get what they get- they can always pay for an upgrade)... Money seems to be a central issue in this world; as the uber wealthy have lifetimes to accumulate vast fortunes and live above everyone.

The lead character is named Takeshi Kovacs and at least in the present is played by Joel Kinnaman (Suicide Squad, Robocop reboot... in the past he's played by an asian guy who I don't know: hence the asian sounding character name) and seems to be different than other humans... He can read people somehow... not psychic, just devoid of the kind of judgements that hinder decision making, and in something only mentioned but not yet explored he can remotely be sent into other bodies on other worlds and instantly take control of them at maximum battle readiness... like the ultimate fighting AI program. Problem is; he was on the wrong side of the war between his people and the present society, and is thus imprisoned for 250 years before being woken up by the richest man in the world hoping to have him use his abilities to solve a murder: His own... (His disc was destroyed, but due to his wealth he can afford to have his life backed up every 2 days remotely- so he's still alive, but has no memory of his own death as it fell before the 2 day download).

I'm condensing and simplifying; but there's a lot at play in here and it's nice to see an unabashed sci-fi series (albeit with detective tones to it)... and it really is quite beautiful with a lot going on... So we'll see where it goes. Worth checking out though... not Star Trek sci-fi... more maybe Blade Runner.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 981
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 3-30-2018 at 04:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Steel Rain

- A coup in North Korea forces a North Korean agent to buddy up with a South Korea government official to try to keep the Korean penisula from erupting into war. It's a real solid effort with some excellent action sequences and an overlying story that is pretty compelling. It's in Korean, so you're in for subtitles, but I think it was worth it. 7/10.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 981
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-17-2018 at 05:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Singularity - don't. Sucks.

So bad that GodEatGod might want to change his avatar...

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 6-17-2018 at 09:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Can't remember if I mentioned it in this thread or not, but came across THE RAID on Netflix the other day and finally gave it a watch- for those who aren't familiar with it the movie got quite a bit of buzz as a balls to the wall action movie several years ago... Wasn't too bad; plenty of action and violence to scratch that itch, although while I think it came out just before Dredd I think the two kind of suffer from being fairly identical plot wise (Cops in a sealed off building having to evade superior numbers with little hope of escape)... They also added the second movie, which I haven't watched yet but will eventually get around to it.

FYI for those it matters to; the movie is Sri Lankan I do believe; although the production values are comparable to anything out of Hollywood, and the dubbing it pretty spot on- So beyond no white devils in the movie it's pretty Western style, so no random out of nowhere breaking into elaborate song and dance scenes.

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 692
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-21-2018 at 09:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Raid movies were so freaking good.
salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 6-21-2018 at 04:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Holy shit, I love the Raid movies. They're awesome.

They're from Indonesia, not Sri Lanka, and the director is Welsh.

Fun tidbit: the actor who plays the main character and the actor who plays the big bad's muscle guy were both in The Force Awakens.

[Edited on 6-21-2018 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 692
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-22-2018 at 06:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think itís only on the Canadian Netflix. Boo.
CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 692
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 6-24-2018 at 10:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I finally watched Big Mouth. Fucking awesome. The wife and I love The Kroll Show and this is just more greatness from Kroll and co.
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2507
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 6-24-2018 at 08:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CVD39
The Raid movies were so freaking good.

One of my fave movie going experiences of all time was The Raid.

Caught it at a local theater that was running it in a house with literally 20 seats. There were only four of us in it. They had the audio cranked.

I came.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7519
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 6-25-2018 at 01:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Seconding the love for The Raid movies...fucking awesome. I bought the two-pack at Best Buy for like $14.99 without ever having seen either, just because I'd heard such great things about them. I was not disappointed.

And I saw someone (I think on Reddit) kind of compare The Raid 1 and 2 to Terminator 1 and 2, and I think that's an apt parallel; the first Raid is amazing but more low-budget and smaller-scale as far as the story goes, whereas the sequel just kind of kicks everything up to 11.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10543
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Mordor of the soul

Mood: ShitBird McShitHeel

posted on 6-25-2018 at 02:05 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Upcoming. Forrest Whitaker. Ahh, he eases the pain...Ö

I'll watch. I like the kind of things that show when the human race gets what it deserves.

"Let's go give these Canuckleheads a good ol red-white-and-blue fist-fucking!" - Janerd75

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2341
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 6-25-2018 at 05:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jiro Dreams Of Sushi

Probably the best food documentary I have ever seen. It's about a man who owns and is the chef for the most highly-rated sushi restaurant in the world in Tokyo, Japan.

It captures the spirit of the Japanese perfectly, and is a great look into just how hard one has to live to be the very best at something.

Watch it!

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4552
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 7-29-2018 at 07:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was flicking around Netflix tonight and noticed that WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS is up there now (at least on Canadian Netflix)... can't remember if I mentioned this one or not but it's a lot of fun. It's basically a mockumentary view into the lives of 4 vampire roomates in New Zealand... They basically play out as the various vamp archetypes... The Varney, the Dracula... no glittering pretty boys though. It's pretty funny as they are all different ages, and try to struggle to fit into the modern world.

For what it's worth it was written, directed, and also stars Taika Waititi who did Thor Ragnorak.

salmonjunkie

Posts 12618
Registered 6-25-2002

posted on 7-30-2018 at 05:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
What We Do In Shadows is hilarious!

Also, I loved Jiro Dreams of Sushi. I got to see that in the theater. Gorgeous!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top