The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OO best (worst?) Joke thread
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 1-24-2017 at 09:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
Are you 12?

I have never seen such a lack of sense of humor.

And on a joke thread! Who knew!

[Edited on 1-24-2017 by CCharger]

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11678
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 1-24-2017 at 09:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
oxymoron
ˌksəˈmrˌn
noun
a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction

Example:
quote:
even a Family Guy joke.

DAE Family Guy sucks?!?!?

quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
I have never seen such a lack of sense of humor.

And on a joke thread! Who knew!

Honestly did not know you were trying to make a joke. I have a sense of humor, just a different one than you have yourself. Apologies, I guess.

[Edited on 1-24-2017 by Matte]

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-24-2017 at 09:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sad!

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2516
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 1-24-2017 at 09:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

"Triggered?"

I fucking hate this god damn word. In less than a year it seems to have transformed in meaning.

Originally if meant that something (a story, movie, gif, imagery of some sort) had sort of flipped (triggered if you will) a switch in someone's mind that makes them relive an occurrence of past trauma. Like a rape scene in a movie might cause a person that has been raped to recall that moment.

Now it somehow means worked up or offended... and everyone keeps fucking saying it.

[Edited on 1-24-2017 by BBMN]

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-24-2017 at 09:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I guess my joke wasn't funny because I have to explain it and any joke you have to explain fucking failed.

I used "triggered" and "fee-fees" and "snowflake" because they are common (cliched) expressions used by people on the interwebs from BOTH those on the left and right to mock each other. Considering my jokes were political, and knowing williamssl's political opinion AND his opinion about me, I thought it would be humorous to use these meme words in one post.

Clearly, that effort failed in a colossal way, and I am both ashamed and embarrassed. I apologize to all those who might be trigg - offended - by my lame joke.

[Edited on 1-24-2017 by CCharger]

-- The Rick

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11678
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 1-24-2017 at 09:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The above is true (referring to BBMN's post). I'm curious as to the origin of it, though. When did "triggered" start referring to memories of one's past being resurfaced? A literal definition of the word is "(of a response) caused by particular action, process, or situation" so you'd think being triggered would just mean that someone responds to something. Example: "My question triggered a response." This wouldn't necessarily mean that the response was defensive or angry, just that it existed. Somehow it became a synonym for the "past memories" version AKA the "trigger warning" version. And now it's a synonym for defensive disagreement.

I don't know why I'm trying to analyze this. I must be bored.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6257
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Turd Cutterson

posted on 1-24-2017 at 09:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The only triggering that really matters...

Now all y'alls gentle 'er down some. Ain't none of you making it out alive anyways so pipe down and get back in the pile...

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America youre going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10853
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: safety danse

posted on 1-24-2017 at 10:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
The above is true (referring to BBMN's post). I'm curious as to the origin of it, though. When did "triggered" start referring to memories of one's past being resurfaced? A literal definition of the word is "(of a response) caused by particular action, process, or situation" so you'd think being triggered would just mean that someone responds to something. Example: "My question triggered a response." This wouldn't necessarily mean that the response was defensive or angry, just that it existed. Somehow it became a synonym for the "past memories" version AKA the "trigger warning" version. And now it's a synonym for defensive disagreement.

I don't know why I'm trying to analyze this. I must be bored.

A lot of it got into the common lexicon back in the late 1980's/early 1990's when pop psychologists (like the ones that would go on shows like Oprah) were pushing recovered memory syndrome, in which something so traumatic occurred to someone that they mentally buried it until something they saw/heard/smelled/tasted later on in life would "trigger" the memories back to life. It was used fairly recklessly by these shrinks to claim there'd been a massive wave of rapes by dads/grandads on the little kids in the their families. The theory was mostly debunked later on by better studies but, like the complete media-driven bullshit over satanism or pedophile rings operating in day-care centres, the damage from the moral panic it caused was done. Thousands of families were basically destroyed by reckless psychology that distorted harmless events barely remembered from childhood into a wave of perversion.

"Triggered" right now seems to have been turned into something that means little more than some moralist scold throwing a tantrum merely at the sight or sound of something they don't like, and that they're now willing to use the protest power of the campus gender/womyn's studies departments to shut down anything that offends them. It's basically the same game the religious right used to play with movies, TV shows, rock and roll, and Dungeons & Dragons, except that it's coming from the left instead of the right. Same puritanical bullshit though, this time using emotional upset as a pretext to wipe out free speech.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 1-24-2017 at 10:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"In an interview about trigger warnings for The Daily Telegraph, Professor Metin Basoglu, a psychologist internationally recognised for his trauma research, said that "instead of encouraging a culture of avoidance, [the media] should be encouraging exposure. Most trauma victims avoid situations that remind them of the experience. Avoidance means helplessness and helplessness means depression. That's not good." Richard J. McNally, a Professor of Psychology at Harvard University, wrote in the Pacific Standard that "trigger warnings are designed to help victims avoid reminders of their trauma, thereby preventing emotional discomfort. Yet avoidance reinforces PTSD. Conversely, systematic exposure to triggers and the memories they provoke is the most effective means of overcoming the disorder." McNally's article cites several academic studies of PTSD sufferers in support of these claims."

-- The Rick

merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 1-25-2017 at 01:42 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Take your fuckin discussion elsewhere. This is a thread of jokes. Funny or not just jokes...to escape every asshole opinion about everything and anything.

Now...

Where do kings keep their armies?

Up their sleevies

Two guys walk into a bar. The third guy ducks.

What do you call a guy with a rubber toe?

Roberto (say it out loud)

Now don't fuck up again or I'll call a mod.

HAHAHAHAHA

"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3278
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 1-25-2017 at 06:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
No - they were just really stupid jokes. Really stupid. I'll give you the GOP one though.
Actually, "WE LOVE TAXES" is a pretty good use of the dyslexia-gag.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top