The Online Onslaught Forums


By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Of Mods and Admins and bOOard Hygiene
williamssl
Steers and Queers






Posts 7937
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville
Member Is Offline

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 6-8-2016 at 10:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Of Mods and Admins and bOOard Hygiene

Let me start by saying that on a scale of 1-10, this is probably a 3 or 4 in importance. I'm by no means suggesting that the problem is so big that it requires immediate if any attention. I am also not calling anybody out or saying that people aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing. This is a damn wrestling message board, for goodness sake. That being said...



There's some noticeable opportunity for some ongoing bOOard hygiene: collapsing threads, starting new ones that are deserving of their own, etc.

Probably the biggest example is that seemingly everything ends up in the RUMORZ thread. On the one hand, it's been a great way of consolidating lots of smallish and/or potentially non-News items into one place. On the other, it's bred laziness , and perhaps more significantly, it becomes the permanent place for things that start as rumorz and then become true and are deserving of their own thread once they make that transition. The example within this is Brock's return to UFC. It started as a rumor that then within a few hours was NEWZ and spun off a good page+ of discussion on it. But because it started in RUMORZ it stayed in RUMORZ.

Back when I was a kid, there was a posse of mod-types who kept things in line, including this type of clean-up. Things they were a different back in those old-timey days, and volume and behaviors of shitposters necessitated said posse. Obviously, it's less so now.

However, I'm not sure who could or should even be doing this now. Rick can. Matte can. But that doesn't mean that they are responsible for it and have any sort of expectation laid upon them to do so when judgement and discretion suggests.

OK - so why the fuck am I bringing this up then?

Is there a real or perceived need for this, and if so, how best to go about it? Is there a person who is interested, willing, and capable of this who can also be trusted? Do we yell at Matte and say, you know what, this is your damn job so put down the trannie porn maybe once a day and do it?


Other?

Rick - not trying to force your hand on this at all and apologies if it comes across as such. There have been enough comments in the RUMORZ thread, and then with the Brock thing, that I thought I'd bring it up.



PS - I am not campaigning for this nor would I throw my name in the hat if we went down this path, so this isn't some veiled selfish interest thing at play.





Don't Mess With Texas

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
coxito
IMPUDENT WRETCH!






Posts -159
Registered 9-17-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: National

posted on 6-9-2016 at 12:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
remember that huge fuckin post? imagine you just read it again


As a reader Im just as lazy. Leave it in one place so i dont have to read through 43 different other threads for the same opinions. The rumor thread is a living breathing organism thats whole life cycle is 1000 posts. 2016 pt. 3 here we come!!

[Edited on 6-10-2016 by ModSquad]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
OOMike
The Great One






Posts 3712
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH
Member Is Offline

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 6-9-2016 at 11:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My two cents, I agree with Tex that once something is no longer a rumor it should be moved out, especially if it is drawing multiple posts. First, when the news for Brock broke I came here looking for the discussion on Brock and was surprised there wasn't a thread, until I went into the rumor thread. That brings me to second, which was a pain to scroll through and try to read all the posts dealing with different topics that were being discussed.

But I will add that we need to take some responsibility for it without being a mod by calling it out, and maybe starting another thread and asking Matte or OORick to combine them when they get a chance.





2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
angstboy
cornerkicked.com






Posts 4929
Registered 12-11-2002
Location Baltimore, MD
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-9-2016 at 03:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You guys still hang out here?

Sweet JESUS.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   angstboy 's Aim
ModSquad004
Cop Dawg






Posts 2324
Registered 5-10-2003
Location on the ATV
Member Is Offline

Mood: no mood 4 poop

posted on 6-9-2016 at 04:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
Let me start by saying that on a scale of 1-10, this is probably a 3 or 4 in importance. I'm by no means suggesting that the problem is so big that it requires immediate if any attention. I am also not calling anybody out or saying that people aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing. This is a damn wrestling message board, for goodness sake. That being said...



There's some noticeable opportunity for some ongoing bOOard hygiene: collapsing threads, starting new ones that are deserving of their own, etc.

Probably the biggest example is that seemingly everything ends up in the RUMORZ thread. On the one hand, it's been a great way of consolidating lots of smallish and/or potentially non-News items into one place. On the other, it's bred laziness , and perhaps more significantly, it becomes the permanent place for things that start as rumorz and then become true and are deserving of their own thread once they make that transition. The example within this is Brock's return to UFC. It started as a rumor that then within a few hours was NEWZ and spun off a good page+ of discussion on it. But because it started in RUMORZ it stayed in RUMORZ.

Back when I was a kid, there was a posse of mod-types who kept things in line, including this type of clean-up. Things they were a different back in those old-timey days, and volume and behaviors of shitposters necessitated said posse. Obviously, it's less so now.

However, I'm not sure who could or should even be doing this now. Rick can. Matte can. But that doesn't mean that they are responsible for it and have any sort of expectation laid upon them to do so when judgement and discretion suggests.

OK - so why the fuck am I bringing this up then?

Is there a real or perceived need for this, and if so, how best to go about it? Is there a person who is interested, willing, and capable of this who can also be trusted? Do we yell at Matte and say, you know what, this is your damn job so put down the trannie porn maybe once a day and do it?


Other?

Rick - not trying to force your hand on this at all and apologies if it comes across as such. There have been enough comments in the RUMORZ thread, and then with the Brock thing, that I thought I'd bring it up.



PS - I am not campaigning for this nor would I throw my name in the hat if we went down this path, so this isn't some veiled selfish interest thing at play.


I microplay.

Woof.





WOOF!

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
williamssl
Steers and Queers






Posts 7937
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville
Member Is Offline

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 6-9-2016 at 04:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote






Don't Mess With Texas

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Matte
"Family Man"






Posts 10159
Registered 12-16-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: #BROKEN

posted on 6-9-2016 at 07:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My idea was to rename all future rumor crap threads to rumor/news crap because I don't see a way of stopping all the off-topic posts without constant monitoring and altering of the thread which would be kind of a pain. If a rumor turns into news and deserves its own thread though, of course someone should make one for it.





"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ThePunisher
The Great One






Posts 3302
Registered 4-19-2003
Location Asheville, NC
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-9-2016 at 09:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ModSquad004
edit: wow, double quote, that's double secret probation


Parvini rules!

[Edited on 6-10-2016 by ModSquad]





Wait 'Til Next Year - The best baseball podcast on the 'Net!

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend






Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003
Member Is Offline

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 6-10-2016 at 06:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coxito
As a reader Im just as lazy. Leave it in one place so i dont have to read through 43 different other threads for the same opinions. The rumor thread is a living breathing organism thats whole life cycle is 1000 posts. 2016 pt. 3 here we come!!

Holy butt. THANK you for hitting quote on that. I just got done reading all 40 dingy-dang paragraphs of that other guy's post and I was like "what if I forgot all of it in 10 seconds and could read all of it again right now?" And then I was like HECK YEAH, here is that ENTIRE POST again, this is like getting heroin and a-doo-a-doo-a-dinga-danged bald eagle injected into my wiener by an aircraft carrier, and then I was like, could this experience get any better? And then there you were saying something about it. Like, after 80 paragraphs, it was like being in a-dingy-dang-ding-a-dingy-dang-dong California. OK I gotta go now, I have a soul to squeeze.


(EDIT: Edited to be sound less aggro because that guy probably doesn't remember this stuff.)

[Edited on 6-10-2016 by ModSquad]





"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
williamssl
Steers and Queers






Posts 7937
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville
Member Is Offline

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 6-10-2016 at 09:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote






Don't Mess With Texas

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
coxito
IMPUDENT WRETCH!






Posts -159
Registered 9-17-2012
Member Is Offline

Mood: National

posted on 6-10-2016 at 09:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ModSquad





[Edited on 6-11-2016 by ModSquad]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be






Posts 11939
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Authoritized

posted on 6-10-2016 at 10:15 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Tex, that's so 2007. Get with the times.


View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Matte
"Family Man"






Posts 10159
Registered 12-16-2008
Member Is Offline

Mood: #BROKEN

posted on 6-11-2016 at 12:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote






"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ModSquad
Hello, future girlfriend






Posts 3472
Registered 1-30-2003
Member Is Offline

Mood: Trumpy

posted on 6-11-2016 at 05:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow. Double Quoting. Mod Sass. That's a double dip of General Incompetence. Once AGAIN, no one listens to the wise words of Turkmenbashi.





"The moment that The Rick tells me that I am in the wrong then I will stop. And since I have 10 years of reading his work under my belt I feel fairly confident that he won't since he is a proponent of thinking differently. Save the threats."

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
merc
Man of a Thousand Holds






Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England
Member Is Offline

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 6-11-2016 at 01:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I see a modsquad and a modsquad004. The fuck have you guys been with GIFFS outacontrol?

I see 004 claimed semi retired status in his last appearance, which is what is causing me to post.

http://www.oowrestling.com/OOForums/viewthread.php?tid=23510&page=1 Is an awesome thread, where that sucker flows makes me wish Janerd was around to go a few rounds with JB...

But now that I've jumped in this soup, Mr. mod & Mr. 004 go take your iron fists and clean up the boards for a week or three. My aging iPod thanks you in advance, whilst it still can.





"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni






Posts 8060
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section
Member Is Online

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 6-13-2016 at 06:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My suggestion would be to un-sticky the Rumour thread. That way it ends up beneath the stickies for the TV shows and PPV's. Most people are scroll-lazy. If the thread they're most likely to head for first is at the very top of the list they're going to ignore most of the threads beneath it.

I think most of us are adjusted well enough to know that a really big newz story (i.e. Brock returning to UFC, future endeavouring list, TNA out of business, etc.) deserves it's very own thread. All we need to do is make a more conscious effort to keeping Rumours dedicated for the most part to what it's meant for.





Oh my god, they've shot Cabbagehead!

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
merc
Man of a Thousand Holds






Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England
Member Is Offline

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 6-15-2016 at 02:12 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
My suggestion would be to un-sticky the Rumour thread. That way it ends up beneath the stickies for the TV shows and PPV's. Most people are scroll-lazy. If the thread they're most likely to head for first is at the very top of the list they're going to ignore most of the threads beneath it.

I think most of us are adjusted well enough to know that a really big newz story (i.e. Brock returning to UFC, future endeavouring list, TNA out of business, etc.) deserves it's very own thread. All we need to do is make a more conscious effort to keeping Rumours dedicated for the most part to what it's meant for.


👆🏽👆🏽this👆🏽👆🏽

And yeah I quoted the post right before me. We are a population that watches a wrestling program that recaps the same thing 5 times in 117 minutes. This is done by a billion dollar corporation that has done more research into our attention span than...the fuck was I sayin....





"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top


Powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final SP1
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group
Processed in 0.0951819 seconds, 21 queries