The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting Back In Shape
BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2516
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 4-27-2016 at 09:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Getting Back In Shape

Anyone else here trying to get in shape? Just curious if there's interest enough to warrant a thread to discuss gettin' swole.

I began pedicabbing again, and am trying to get into as good as shape as possible in like two months.

Been doing mostly leg work obviously. Leg press is just 405, and I will probably never try to even find what my best is. My knees suck and I don't want to see what will happen to them even if my thighs say "Sure, let's try for 600lb. I've been doing kettle bell stuff and it is amazing so far. And I just this week began farmer's walks with kettle bells. Only at like 70lbs a hand so far, and it feels great for some weird reason.

I hope to be as ripped as this fucking roo by summer's end.

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 4-28-2016 at 01:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I used to have shitty knees. Then I started squatting (powerlifting in general). The muscles, tendons, and ligaments surrounding my knee strengthened and now I have no knee issues.

In fact, that probably saved my knee a year and a half ago. I officiate high school and youth football and I got run over by a linebacker at full speed - knee on knee. There was only a sprain - the doctor said that he was surprised that the damage wasn't worse, and that the strength training probably kept things from being much worse.

Now, onto the rest of your post.

Where are you currently at, physically speaking? Meaning, how is your current physique and/or BF%? Depending on where you're starting will largely dictate where you can get in that amount of time.

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2516
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

posted on 4-28-2016 at 02:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I should've done the fat % calculation at the gym. In short, I'm kinda fat. About 200lbs, when I should realistically be 170-185lbs, with 170 being very lean, and 185 being jacked up. Oh and I'm like 5'11".

I've been slowly building up my thighs and now with the kettle bells by upper body. The pedicabbing, even if it's just twice a week will build my thighs way up. My only real concern is my knees and I've never really done squats without a spotter. I need to just jump in there...

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3088
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 4-28-2016 at 05:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yoga will help your knees, honest to God. I swear by it. You can do DDP Yoga for more of an overall workout, too.
Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

posted on 4-29-2016 at 03:37 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Ok, then. Here's a pretty good link I think will help you.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

One big thing: considering where you seem to be at, I wouldn't put - in Step 6 - a goal of lose fat, gain muscle. It doesn't sound like you're in a place where you can recomp yet. I'd probably pick a goal of Lose Fat - 10% Calorie reduction, maybe 15%. You don't have to, and you may wish to change that goal after a month or so, but that's probably a good place to start.

There is some other good stuff on that website, especially in the "Expectations" category. Personally, I think his workouts aren't great. They aren't bad, but not great. And I completely disagree with "The Best Workout" section. His thoughts on Starting Strength and 5x5 (such as StrongLifts) are so out of whack it's ridiculous.

Since I mentioned expectations, I'll just throw this out there. Don't expect to get ripped in 2 months. Unless you're seriously overestimating how much BF you have (judging from the weights you've mentioned) you won't get there without some "chemical help," if you know what I mean. 2 months ~ 8 weeks ~ 2 lb per week to get from 200 to 184/185. That's a pretty steep deficit in Calories - you'll lose LBM (muscle and other non-fat tissue) with that big a deficit, and that's definitely not what you want. You can certainly make improvements in that amount of time, though.

Building muscle and losing fat are two opposite functions. That's not to say that you absolutely can't do both - it's just that it's not optimal for either. In order to build muscle, your body wants more Calories. In order to lose fat, your body wants fewer Calories. That's why I suggested a 10% Caloric reduction (with plenty of protein - you can pretty much follow Scooby's Calorie and macro recommendations) above. You can lose fat, but at least maintain the LBM you have, which is where most people should probably start.

As far as exercise goes, pretty much pick something you'll like doing and do it. Two things: first, ensure you're progressing. That could mean: more weight, more sets, or more reps. Or some combination of the three. The second thing is to make sure you do full-body. I don't know exactly what you're doing, but kettlebell workouts are typically good for full-body, so that's good. You want both of those things to a) ensure your body has stimulus to keep/build muscle (progression); b) help keep muscle imbalances from occurring that may lead to injury (full-body).

I almost said three things, as I would typically recommend getting on a time-proven strength program - which could be a barbell program, bodyweight program, or something that has actually been around a while. I'm going to assume you didn't just make up your own program for kettlebells, which you seem to like, so I won't go into any more detail regarding that.

I've typed so many words, I'm starting to get lost in my thoughts. I think I've covered the basics - the important stuff. If you have any particular questions, I'll be happy to either answer them - provided it's something I know - or refer you to someone I trust a great deal.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2516
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

posted on 5-2-2016 at 02:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That link is amazing. Thanks a ton.

And yea, I got a yoga DVD collecting dust. Gotta get on it.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10874
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 5-2-2016 at 03:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Can I ask how old you are? Because that is going to be a massive factor in what you're trying to accomplish, both in terms of weight loss and muscle gain. If you're over 25 it'll be easy to lose weight but harder to build muscle. If you're over forty it'll be harder to lose weight and even harder to build muscle. Not trying to discourage you at all but it's a reality for older males that this is how it goes. For myself all I really long for would be to become a semi-skinny fucker that can go bike riding, swimming, and golfing and not be out of breath. Jogging is no longer a possibility thanks to encroaching arthritis and too many joint injuries in the lower legs. Anything like muscle development without chemical help is far behind me now. If I hit the weights ever again it would be strictly for strength building because I can't realistically see there ever being any gain in muscle mass ever again.

Just the way it is. Once again, not trying at all to discourage but even if you haven't lived a naughty lifestyle with smoking/drinking/junk food your age becomes a greater factor and hindrance in what you're trying to accomplish.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 5-2-2016 at 07:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Pad,
I'm in your boat, way too many ankle knee surgeries for a guy in his 50's. I just got DDP's Yoga for guys book, hoping I can squeeze another couple of years of basketball in. I'm doing the beginner 20 minute work out. A week in and I can feel it.

"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2516
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

posted on 5-3-2016 at 03:43 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm almost 40, but honestly, aside from the knees, I look and feel a lot younger.

My biggest hurdle is just dedication and junk food.

My legs are already getting so much stronger. And I haven't started a strict routine yet. I just kinda do whatever, but that's how I wanted the first month to be. I can already tell I'm much stronger from leg presses, chin ups and dips (I use the gym's machine that assists, but still does make you work), and the farmer's walks. Feeling fucking great.

I'm probably fucking crazy, but I am pretty positive that if I had a ton of money, I would just say fuck it, and start with TRT. It would pretty much mean I would have to keep on it forever, but whatevers.

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by BBMN]

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 5-3-2016 at 09:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just took a shit and lost 11 lbs.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8973
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 5-3-2016 at 10:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I call bullshit on that. I have weighed myself before and after monster dumps and lost at most a pound.

It may have felt like a lot of weight lost. But it wasn't.

Don't Mess With Texas

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 5-3-2016 at 10:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not kidding. At first, I thought I was giving birth to a large Pakistani baby.

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10874
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 5-3-2016 at 10:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

I actually just spent about twenty minutes on YouTube looking for the Beavis & Butthead clip where they mocked the singer from Crowbar for being "the guy looks like he just took a big dump". Couldn't find it unfortunately. Darn.

[Edited on 5/3/2016 by Paddlefoot]

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8973
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 5-3-2016 at 10:39 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger

Don't Mess With Texas

merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 5-3-2016 at 11:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
How much did tater tot weigh?

"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6273
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Mans n' Cans™

posted on 5-4-2016 at 12:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot

I actually just spent about twenty minutes on YouTube looking for the Beavis & Butthead clip where they mocked the singer from Crowbar for being "the guy looks like he just took a big dump". Couldn't find it unfortunately. Darn.

T'weren't this fellow throwing a deuce they were discussing throwing a deuce?

Butt-head: Brian Johnson looks like he's taking a dump.
Beavis: Yeah. He's constipated 'cause he's old.

Also, I follow this guy and, while I haven't had time (taken the time, actually ) or the equipment to get down to business, I find his approach to be pretty no frills and logical.

Also2, I hope you guys are taking video of your exploits.

Also3, have fun looking up weightlifters and prolapsed assholes on your own. I've traveled down that dark path before and I can't risk getting caught up in that glistening horror agayn.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4565
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 5-4-2016 at 02:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just had to get a suit for my buddies wedding, and given Canada's lack of good big guy store's, this was both a massive pain in the ass and an eye opener that I've let myself go.

I'm about 60 inches wide in the shoulders alone, so finding clothes has always been a bit of a pain in the ass; 2X-3X for sweaters, and about a 3X for any kind of collared shirt... throw in my fat gut and chunky ass to make finding clothes harder, and I'm thinking it's about time to do something.

I figure I'll start slow; try and commit to this a bit more- just a nightly walk around the block for the first week, and park at the back of the company lot for work, and then add a few blocks to my nightly walk. Cut back on the take out and try to eat a bit better.... I'm horribly finicky... anyway; I figure if I can do that for a couple of weeks and "get my breath back" ie out of breath even just thinking of taking of the stairs, then I can start planning something a bit more comprehensive from there.

Any thoughts on the above, or better ideas on how to get started?

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7692
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-4-2016 at 02:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Kind of related to this thread and kind of not, I took a receiving manager position at Barnes & Noble about 18 months ago and lifting heavy boxes for roughly eight hours a day has been a pretty nice workout for me in that time. I've always been a lean guy (6'2" and usually around 160 lbs) and the job hasn't turned me into Ryback or anything, but I do have more muscle definition as a result and am in better shape at age 34 than I was at age 24. Most days I feel like Rocky Balboa from Rocky IV, where I'm doing all of this lo-fi workout stuff at work while the Ivan Dragos of the world are using state of the art equipment at the local Planet Fitness.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10874
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 5-4-2016 at 03:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by janerd75
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot

T'weren't this fellow throwing a deuce they were discussing throwing a deuce?

Butt-head: Brian Johnson looks like he's taking a dump.
Beavis: Yeah. He's constipated 'cause he's old.

Pretty sure it was Crowbar. I distinctly remember them laughing at the lead singer/grunter in another video where he was yelling "auuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhh!" at the camera with a demented/plugged look on his face. Butthead made it magical with commenting something like "that guy just took a big dump" at that very moment.

Classic. I miss that insane show. Too bad times have changed to much that the B&B reboot several years ago couldn't take hold the way it did 20-odd years ago. Here's the Crowbar video I could find, with them once again commenting on dumps. And, strangely enough, about weight loss too with the "50 pounds of meat" line.

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

posted on 5-4-2016 at 01:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flash

I figure I'll start slow; try and commit to this a bit more- just a nightly walk around the block for the first week, and park at the back of the company lot for work, and then add a few blocks to my nightly walk. Cut back on the take out and try to eat a bit better.... I'm horribly finicky... anyway; I figure if I can do that for a couple of weeks and "get my breath back" ie out of breath even just thinking of taking of the stairs, then I can start planning something a bit more comprehensive from there.

Any thoughts on the above, or better ideas on how to get started?

Excellent plan regarding exercise. I see far too many people trying to do too much right out of the gate, not being able to handle it all, and simply stopping.

Are you planning on tracking Calories/macros at all? If so, I'd recommend starting that as soon as possible. Don't worry about if you're going to lose, gain, or maintain weight. Just see how much you're consuming on a regular basis. That, combined with seeing what your weight does for the next few weeks/month, you'll have a decent handle on how much you can eat to lose fat/weight.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 5-4-2016 at 04:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger

EDIT BY RICK: No. Just no. What in the blue fuck is wrong with you people?

[Edited on 5-5-2016 by OORick]

-- The Rick

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10874
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 5-4-2016 at 05:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, this thread turned shitty awfully fast.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8973
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 5-4-2016 at 05:31 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Only someone with an anus as big as the Goatman could pass that without a trip to the hospital afterwards to stitch up all the ripped-up assparts and get a transfusion for blood loss.

Gentlemen, we have found and outed the Goatman! He is among us.

Don't Mess With Texas

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2516
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

posted on 5-4-2016 at 06:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Most of the "fails" weren't remotely funny. I can't stand seeing half that shit.

Although I didn't feel bad at all at the lady trying to lift in a dress and heels. Her, and all her friends that were there are fucking dumbfucks, and I hope she never sets foot into a gym again. Fuck her stupid ass. I can almost guarantee that she is a crossfitter, and was drunk as fuck there. Idiot.

And you'll never see me in one of these videos. I never will try to find my max weight for anything with free-weights because of shit like this. And even with good form, your knee or elbow can blow out, which happened in a couple of these. So fuck that noise. If I'm at say 75% of my dead left or squat potential, I will be able to gauge that I'm right about 75%. I know my body pretty well and have no need to find where my 100% lies.

On top of that, I don't agree with the idea of these lifts. There really is no purpose besides bragging. Your body is supposed to function in a certain way, and we aren't built to ever hit our peak strength in lifting. There's no reason for it and our bodies aren't meant for it. It's just fundamentally stupid in my eyes.

On top of that, there is good reason to believe that you can achieve great results by instead lifting very slow, and or lifting low weight with high reps. No need for any of that max rep crap.

For example, yesterday I was doing leg press. I did -

90% of body weight x 22 reps
100% body weight x 20 reps
110% body weight x13 reps

After the first set I had to rest as I became light headed. Oh yea, if you're light headed, immediately find a position to take a knee. How people don't know this is beyond me. And then on my last set my legs were BURNING.

So I floored my thighs and was totally safe. I can easily do 200% of my weight, but this was just as challenging if not more than a more traditional set.

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by BBMN]

"Put the chicken wings down n come to Jihad bro."

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9480
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 5-6-2016 at 01:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I've been doing the 5x5x5x5x5 type of workout the past, probably, eight years and it has done great by me. I'm not trying to be completely "Zack-Efron-apparently-in-Baywatch" jacked so it has done me fine and kept me fairly toned (although my beer belly has grown a bit with age but can likely be combatted by, say, less beer intake). Basically, you just do five sets of five reps of whatever your chosen workout is, with four-to-five workouts included in a session (or more or less, depending on your intent). After a 20 minute run or session on the eliptical, I usually do some combination of -

Bench (horizontal, incline, or decline)
Squats
Sit-ups (or some other sort of stomach exercise)
Curls

And a few others that I can't think of the name. I'm not Arnold Schwarzenegger here.

I finish it off with a light run or some other type of cardio and that's that. I'm about 6'2" and have hovered around 185 the past 15-20 years (while pretty much eating whatever I want) and although I have great metabolism, I'm pretty positive that hitting the gym a few days a week has definitely helped.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top