The Online Onslaught Forums


By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2016 NBA PLAYOFFS -
the goon
Sister Act






Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-11-2016 at 06:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
No, they'll lose in the finals to the Cavs. Because as good as the Warriors are, they're going 7 in back to back series before they even get to the finals, while the Cavs may play 1 or 2 extra games in the first 3 rounds. And the fact that the Warriors went deep last year, had to play with intensity for all 82 games this year, and will have at least 2 very tough series in the west (Clippers - they HATE each other so it will be physical and nasty and tougher than most expect and either the Spurs or Thunder). They will be exhausted by game 4 of the finals and will be running on fumes and will squeak out an extra win or 2 as they push the Cavs to a 6th game, but fall short.


Yep, the Warriors sure were exhausted and running on fumes in Game 4 tonight...the Cavs have them right where they want them!

And outside of tonight's game being close for about 80% of the way, holy shit has this been a lackluster NBA Finals. I'm looking forward to the Warriors winning by 20 on Monday and putting us all out of our misery.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfatgoalie
The Man






Posts 6597
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-14-2016 at 05:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Steph Curry gets hurt...Warriors keep rolling. Green gets suspended for 1 game and...Cavs win easily.

And I get that Curry is not 100%...but...how exactly did nobody think that another player was worthy of a 1st place MVP vote? Steph is a ridiculously good shooter. And deceptively good at at defense in the Warriors system. But trade Steph and Barnes for LeBron and Dellavedova and the Cavs record likely drops (regardless of what they do with Kyrie) and the Warriors may win an extra game.

Regardless...here's hoping the series goes 7 and we have at least one classic where we see full Steph vs MEGA LeBron.

Oh...and where does Love play next year? My best suggestion...Boston can use the shooting and is guard heavy. The #3 pick should get it done. Imagine Jamal Murray getting JR Smith's minutes...

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Count Zero
The Rowdy One






Posts 2435
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East
Member Is Offline

Mood: fugazi

posted on 6-15-2016 at 08:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
And I get that Curry is not 100%...but...how exactly did nobody think that another player was worthy of a 1st place MVP vote?
I was one of the people pro-Curry, so keep that in mind when I say this: It might be because we're caught in the media-echo chamber of Everything Now Is Amazinger Than ANYthing Ever.

Aka, shit has gone full-Schiavone on us.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfatgoalie
The Man






Posts 6597
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-17-2016 at 04:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
LeBron.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
the goon
Sister Act






Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-17-2016 at 05:00 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I will gladly eat every word I've said in this thread and humbly bow down to Dev for being right if the Cavs win Game 7. With that said, the Cavs have exactly a 0.00% chance of winning Game 7 on Sunday, so I shall not be doing any of that.

Also: Game 7, Money In The Bank, and a big episode of Game Of Thrones all on Sunday night? Fuck.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
punkerhardcore
American Dream






Posts 7988
Registered 7-16-2005
Member Is Offline

Mood: Lickable

posted on 6-17-2016 at 05:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Not to mention it's a holiday as well.

Yeah it's too bad the Cavs blew it big time in Game 4, because I (unfortunately) don't see Golden State losing Game 7 at home. Kudos to Cleveland for making this a series, at least.





Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfatgoalie
The Man






Posts 6597
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 6-20-2016 at 03:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
LeBron may have had the most important block in the history of basketball.

Long live The King.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
bopol
Showstopper






Posts 775
Registered 1-18-2013
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-20-2016 at 03:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Being from Cleveland, FUCKKKKK YAAAAA!!!

Great game.





I only signed up so I can read the forum.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
williamssl
Steers and Queers






Posts 7903
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville
Member Is Offline

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 6-20-2016 at 04:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
I will gladly eat every word I've said in this thread and humbly bow down to Dev for being right









Don't Mess With Texas

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
the goon
Sister Act






Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-20-2016 at 05:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Haha, I am a man of my word and will humbly eat every single one of them. Cleveland coming back from being down 3-1 against this particular Warriors team is absolutely stunning and if Lebron's legacy was ever in question, it's not anymore. Also, I bow down to Dev for calling the Cleveland victory before the playoffs began.

And despite all of my "Warriors will 100% win" talk, I was pulling for the Cavs, so good for the team and the city of Cleveland on winning a championship against such crazy odds. What a hell of a story.





Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
CVD39
Fella






Posts 288
Registered 1-16-2013
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-20-2016 at 06:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That was fucking crazy. Lebron led both teams in points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks.
That was fucking amazing.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
merc
Man of a Thousand Holds






Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England
Member Is Offline

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 6-21-2016 at 12:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Having not been a big Lebron guy...who am I kidding...I thought he was a mega pussy. Hated him going to Miami cuz he couldn't get it done in CLE.

Last night he won my respect with one play. Tight game, not when he shines his best, he mans up comes from behind with the best block I have ever seen in a basketball game. No quit on the play and an iwanntitmore effort.

congrats Mr. James for winning it for home.





"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
williamssl
Steers and Queers






Posts 7903
Registered 1-11-2004
Location Hippieville
Member Is Offline

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 6-21-2016 at 03:26 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Love all the wwe stuff the Cavs incorporated and LeBron's trolling.

The Smoking Skull championship belt (and shirt and Steve-weisers)
Lebron's Ultimare Warrior t-shirt today.





Don't Mess With Texas

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
the goon
Sister Act






Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-21-2016 at 10:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by merc
Having not been a big Lebron guy...who am I kidding...I thought he was a mega pussy. Hated him going to Miami cuz he couldn't get it done in CLE.

Last night he won my respect with one play. Tight game, not when he shines his best, he mans up comes from behind with the best block I have ever seen in a basketball game. No quit on the play and an iwanntitmore effort.

congrats Mr. James for winning it for home.


I liked Lebron well enough during his first run with the Cavs but then hated him when he went to Miami. The Heat beating the Spurs in the 2013 Finals was probably one of the most crushing defeats for me as an NBA fan, but on the flipside, the Spurs destroying the Heat the following year was amazing. Once he went back to Cleveland, I liked the guy again and think it's a great story that he not only went back, but now has won them a championship.

Also, that block in Game 7 has to be one of the most clutch NBA plays in history. I've probably watched it about 20 times now and it's insane every time.

quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
Love all the wwe stuff the Cavs incorporated and LeBron's trolling.

The Smoking Skull championship belt (and shirt and Steve-weisers)
Lebron's Ultimare Warrior t-shirt today.


Lebron was also photographed in an Undertaker shirt before Game 5. And I agree, that Ultimate Warrior shirt was a particularly nice bit of trolling.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be






Posts 12570
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-22-2016 at 11:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Something I've noticed in the aftermath of the Finals is that people who still dislike LeBron (and I am not the guy who's going to try to talk you down from that ledge if that's you. I like him, but not everyone does and not everyone needs to) are starting to get VERY defensive of Jordan when people talk about LeBron as an all-time great, whether Jordan is mentioned or not.

"Man, LeBron was really clutch in Game 7. No question he's a top 10 all-timer, right?"

"HE'S NOT AS GOOD AS JORDAN!"

"Calm the entire fuck down, nobody said he was."

"IF HE'S SO GREAT WHY DID HE NEED SEVEN GAMES TO BEAT GOLDEN STATE? JORDAN WOULD HAVE BEAT THEM IN FIVE."

"Why are you being so-"

"HAVE FUN SUCKING LEBRON'S DICK BUT HE'LL NEVER BE HALF OF WHAT JORDAN WAS."

I seriously don't get the freakouts, and they're happening everywhere.

[edited for grammar]

[Edited on 6-22-2016 by Chris Is Good517]





Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
denverpunk
The Rowdy One






Posts 2696
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stoked

posted on 6-23-2016 at 11:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Green Bay fans did the same thing when they replaced Favre with Rodgers. Even when Aaron won a Super Bowl, the respect was often more grudging than not. I guess fans are always going to root for their guy, even if they haven't played in over a decade.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
chretienbabacool
The Great One






Posts 3443
Registered 3-5-2003
Location Columbia, MO
Member Is Offline

Mood: Go Cubs!

posted on 6-24-2016 at 12:11 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
Something I've noticed in the aftermath of the Finals is that people who still dislike LeBron (and I am not the guy who's going to try to talk you down from that ledge if that's you. I like him, but not everyone does and not everyone needs to) are starting to get VERY defensive of Jordan when people talk about LeBron as an all-time great, whether Jordan is mentioned or not.


Bulls fans have very little else to be happy about so they a) got very happy the Warriors didn't win so they couldn't be compared to the Bulls team and b) got defensive of Jordan once the Cavs won cause what the hell else are they going to do? Bulls are basically stuck in irrelevance until Lebron retires. To be fair though the argument of whether the Warriors team was better than the Bulls team and whether Lebron is better than Jordan has been pushed hardcore by sports media as something to argue about and drive up emotions so some of the defensiveness is just in response to that.

The hypocritical thing though is all the people who dislike Lebron (and I am one of them) for his personality seem to ignore the fact that Jordan is one of the grade A jackasses the league has ever seen both as a player and owner. He threw teammates under the bus left and right and never met a low road he didn't want to take. Argue the talent level between them fine but don't knee jerk hate on Lebron because of a personal dislike and then be great with Jordan.





Go Cubs!

And just imagine if, instead of the Palins, the Obama family had a pregnant, underage daughter on display at their convention, flanked by her black boyfriend who "intends" to marry her. Who among conservatives would have resisted the temptation to speak of "the dysfunction in the black community"?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be






Posts 12570
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-25-2016 at 12:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chretienbabacool
The hypocritical thing though is all the people who dislike Lebron (and I am one of them) for his personality seem to ignore the fact that Jordan is one of the grade A jackasses the league has ever seen both as a player and owner. He threw teammates under the bus left and right and never met a low road he didn't want to take. Argue the talent level between them fine but don't knee jerk hate on Lebron because of a personal dislike and then be great with Jordan.


EXACTLY.

Also, with regards to personal feelings about LeBron, wherever you stand on him, Chuck Klosterman wrote a great essay in his book "I Wear The Black Hat" about LeBron and how he (with help from The Decision) became sort of the most hated, reviled athlete of the modern era, even though he's never had any kind of domestic abuse scandal, sex scandal, substance problems, etc. By all accounts he's a really nice guy, has invested a ton back into his community, and is a present father and positive role model, but he's still somehow one of sports' great villains. It's a great essay and I don't know if you can find it online without having to pay for it (but if you can't, I'd recommend the whole book anyway. It's fantastic).





Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
the goon
Sister Act






Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-25-2016 at 03:48 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Is Good517
quote:
Originally posted by chretienbabacool
The hypocritical thing though is all the people who dislike Lebron (and I am one of them) for his personality seem to ignore the fact that Jordan is one of the grade A jackasses the league has ever seen both as a player and owner. He threw teammates under the bus left and right and never met a low road he didn't want to take. Argue the talent level between them fine but don't knee jerk hate on Lebron because of a personal dislike and then be great with Jordan.


EXACTLY.

Also, with regards to personal feelings about LeBron, wherever you stand on him, Chuck Klosterman wrote a great essay in his book "I Wear The Black Hat" about LeBron and how he (with help from The Decision) became sort of the most hated, reviled athlete of the modern era, even though he's never had any kind of domestic abuse scandal, sex scandal, substance problems, etc. By all accounts he's a really nice guy, has invested a ton back into his community, and is a present father and positive role model, but he's still somehow one of sports' great villains. It's a great essay and I don't know if you can find it online without having to pay for it (but if you can't, I'd recommend the whole book anyway. It's fantastic).


Outside of the "I'm taking my game to South Beach" ESPN debacle, I was actually going to ask if there are any specific examples of Lebron being a dickhead, which people can point to and say "see, this is why I hate that asshole!" And hey, maybe there are, but I have just never gotten the sense that Lebron is a raging douchebag or anything. He kind of reminds me of the John Cena of the NBA, in that a large portion of the audience hates him but otherwise he seems like a good guy.

On a sidenote, it's kind of hard to believe in retrospect that a team featuring Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh only went 2-2 in the NBA Finals.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything






Posts 7333
Registered 11-16-2002
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-28-2016 at 02:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Haha, I am a man of my word and will humbly eat every single one of them. Cleveland coming back from being down 3-1 against this particular Warriors team is absolutely stunning and if Lebron's legacy was ever in question, it's not anymore. Also, I bow down to Dev for calling the Cleveland victory before the playoffs began.

And despite all of my "Warriors will 100% win" talk, I was pulling for the Cavs, so good for the team and the city of Cleveland on winning a championship against such crazy odds. What a hell of a story.


You can do better than this

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
the goon
Sister Act






Posts 6503
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC
Member Is Offline

Mood:

posted on 6-29-2016 at 12:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
Haha, I am a man of my word and will humbly eat every single one of them. Cleveland coming back from being down 3-1 against this particular Warriors team is absolutely stunning and if Lebron's legacy was ever in question, it's not anymore. Also, I bow down to Dev for calling the Cleveland victory before the playoffs began.

And despite all of my "Warriors will 100% win" talk, I was pulling for the Cavs, so good for the team and the city of Cleveland on winning a championship against such crazy odds. What a hell of a story.


You can do better than this


Since the Cavs had to literally make NBA history in order to prove me wrong, and I was this close to being right about my "Warriors are 100% going all the way" prediction, I'm afraid that's all of the word-eating and groveling you're going to get out of me on this one. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
loki
HOMO






Posts 2074
Registered 6-11-2004
Member Is Offline

Mood: Primed

posted on 7-10-2016 at 06:02 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So THAT’S what it felt like to win it all.

Bopol can back me up on this. Rooting for Cleveland teams is traditionally an exercise in self-punishment. When things seem like they just might be starting to go your way, the Universe looks in, asks “Hey, what’s all this, then? We can’t have you winning!”, and whichever team is playing finds some new and spectacular way to lose. Except if it’s the Browns since ‘99, in which case the Universe feels no need to jump in, as they can take failure to unheard-of depths all on their own.

The utter shock of the Cavaliers winning, followed immediately by the nova-bright realization that Cleveland had ACTUALLY WON was amazing. The non-stop party for four days was a great by-product. I think what blew me away about the whole thing was how genuinely HAPPY the entire city and surrounding areas were. Not just Sunday night, but continuing Monday, flowing into Tuesday, and still going strong at the parade on Wednesday. It was… pretty neat, actually. There was a scene from Major League where a bar erupted in cheers after the Indians won, and a goth chick bumped into an almost-but-not-quite hillbilly. The two looked at each other, then hugged and started cheering. The parade was kind of like that. People that hadn’t seen the upside of sobriety in 72 hours bumped into each other and then started hugging it out with “I love you, man!”s straight out of a 90s Bud commercial.

And we didn’t go full Detroit and riot! Of course, everyone was too hammered to operate lighters, much less pick up bricks in less than five attempts.

I have to give a shout out to merc’s fellow New Englanders. I’ve bagged them before for being obnoxious stains on the underwear of life. But as I walked around out here sporting a Cavaliers shirt I had no less than ten random guys see the shirt, ask me if I was from there, and congratulate me and the city for finally winning. It wasn’t until four days later that a Bostonian I work with reverted to type and started out a casual conversation with the usual “Man, LeBron sucks, I hate him so much….” Four whole days! Man, merc, that had to be some kind of record!

Ah, good times. Good times. The bright lights have faded and life has returned to normal, but any mention of the Ultimate Warrior T shirt still makes me laugh.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
merc
Man of a Thousand Holds






Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England
Member Is Offline

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 7-10-2016 at 03:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Loki,
I was in Cleveland the week after the win. Seeing the shirts and hats walk around was very cool! I enjoyed pointing to shirts and fist bumping folks.

I was bummed out that there were no banners hanging in the airport or downtown. Seemed like the city should celebrate right through the convention, not clean up for it.

Congrats and screw the dude who said Lebron sucks, probably from Rhode Island.





"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top


Powered by XMB 1.8 Partagium Final SP1
Developed By Aventure Media & The XMB Group
Processed in 0.0731199 seconds, 21 queries