The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for advice
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3951
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 4-2-2016 at 01:41 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Looking for advice

I am looking for some feedback/ideas on a vacation for me and missus.

I want to go on a vacation every year (now that the kids are older and we can leave them behind) and we are going to Florida this year, and were originally looking at a cruise next year, but the idea of an all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean has come up.

So I am wondering if anyone can give me some idea on how they compare if you have done both, or at least some feedback on either.

Thanks.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6273
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Mans n' Cans™

posted on 4-2-2016 at 04:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Y'all come visit Janerd an' we kin blow shit up reel gud, ah heuh heuh heuh...

Oh me. But seriously, what kind of stuff are you interested in doing/seeing? For as much as I bag on this insane state, there are some actual nice places that haven't been Northeasterner'd Up just yet. Since you're from and/or located in Ohio you get the special Midwesterner Empathy Discount because your people tend not to come down here with big city attitudes and proclaim how fucking everything is better where you originally came from, thus leading me to potentially lead you to a meth trailer out in the Everglades.

Time of year is critical as after a certain point you may as well sit in your bathroom with the shower running on hot with a heat lamp aimed directly at your face while you sip Mai Tais wearing your Sunday best. In that case I'd say book it to the Caribbean as the winds during the summer in certain areas are favorable and the heat isn't that brutal.

North Florida and the Panhandle has some nice areas with natural springs and is more of a hilly wooded region that's reminiscent of certain Southern and Midwestern states. Though those areas are far more southern than you would expect for something with a Florida tag slapped on it, so be aware that there's almost an entirely different culture between up there and down here in South Florida. As the saying goes, in Florida you have to go north to go south.

As far as beaches go, there are obviously tons to choose from and many that aren't very crowded at all. The west coast tends to get a lot of Midwesterners, because I-75 and the east coast tends to get Northeasterners, because I-95. At some point, I'm hoping the governor sets up some kind of reverse Checkpoint Charlie and has the Florida National Guard start machine gunning cars with license plates from states in that region starting with the letters "N" and "M", but I digress.

If you're interested in Spaceman stuff, definitely go see Cape Canaveral. Kinda up the road is St. Augustine if you're into early U.S. Spanish history, old forts, and the Ripley's museum. There are still Old Florida beach towns in certain areas up there and it's a real treat to see some of those laid back areas with the old Cracker houses intact.

Over on the central west coast there's Sarasota, Clearwater, and St. Petersburg as the main, somewhat quiet cities on the beach. Ft. Myers and Naples are kinda in the same boat rounding out the Southwest. Each have their charm, mainly old folks and white sand beaches, but there are a couple of cool island/Intracoastal getaways that are worth checking out. One off the beaten path locale is Fort Jefferson. It's a Civil War fort sitting aboot 70 miles out in the Gulf that's pretty cool to tour. You can camp, snorkel, and fish there if that's your thing. I went there a lot as a kid and it was a hoot just crawling all over the island.

https://www.drytortugas.com/rates-reservations

I'm not sure what you and the missus are up for, but I'm not a big fan of Orlando, Miami, and most of Ft. Lauderdale. Disney's fine, but you'd have to hit it at the exact right time in the fall for it to not be a pain in the ass. Unless you have a boat, there's fuck all to do in Ft. Lauderdale but hit up skeezy dive bars or Jersey Shore/Kardashian-esque see and be seen twat clubs. The beaches are okay, but with everything else the state has to offer, why bother? I kinda like Miami the best, but that's usually when I have mi Colombian hermano Mijo with me to guide me away from the areas where I'll be killed to death. Lots of neat Art Deco stuff, a cool arts district, and decent beaches but extremely traffic heavy and there are whole swaths of the place where other than the street signs, nothing is in English, no one speaks it, and people there tend to look down on those that do. Not saying good or bad, just a fair warning. Brickell and Bayside are great places, but bear in mind they also butt up against some of the most violent cities in the country so be aware of your surroundings if that's the location you choose.

My best bud used to work for a major cruise line (Not Carnival. FFS, do NOT go on Carnival) and he's been to tons of awesome island destinations so let me know if that's where you're thinking of going and I can ask him for some locations and/or booking tips for the best deals. North Florida's more my zone so if it's springs and lazy rivers you're into I can help you there. Hope this infomercial for my "great" state helped. I'd get a move on if I were you, though. I'm working on a project that might preclude you from coming in the near future...

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8973
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 4-2-2016 at 12:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I went to Club Med in Cancun when I was 18 and I got fucking wasted every day and met a chick that I banged for the 4 days our trips overlapped. It was a great trip. Now 25+ years older and married....I bet the experience would be different.

Don't Mess With Texas

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4565
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 4-2-2016 at 02:49 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
While it really depends on where you are going I find that the difference between a resort and a cruise really comes down to what kind of pace you are looking for;

*Cruises tend to be a bit more go go go... you're hitting a new place every day so there's the pressure to cross off something a list of things that that particular place has to offer... If you are doing Caribbean you probably aren't going to really have any "days at sea" to just chill on the ship with everything being so close. If you are a drinker you'll generally have to pay a steep amount for a drink package over and above the cruise itself, plus depending on the company a mandatory daily tip charged to your room that isn't always spelled out before hand.

*Resorts have activities, and usually one or two attractions worth leaving the resort for, so it's really about just catching some sun and having a siesta by the beach. Your drinks are generally included.

I've only done a resort once, and that was Cuba... so outside of a trip into Havana and the nearby town once or twice I found plenty of time to relax. I've done two cruises now, but they were both European, so the pressure to get off the ship and take in as much as I could was there, but because of the distance between places you generally have at least one day where you are just at sea, so you do get some chill time in there as well.

merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 4-2-2016 at 03:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm going off the board for a cheaper betterer option.

Go to airbnb.com. Look up a tropical place (Dominican republic is a great value), find yourself a cozy house on the beach. Find some more. Email all of them with questions:

Do you have a cook available?

Is a maid included?

Do you have references for drivers/tour guides

Then explore the cook's ability and ask what connections the driver has for attractions.

Most of the properties are owned by expats, and have "full" service available. We did a 4 bedroom house, cook & maid for two weeks for $4200. We got the driver referral from the cook and for $500 he took us everywhere, we bypassed lines for skylines, jet skis parasailing, etc. and never paid more than about 60% of brochure event pricing. He was our own personal fast pass.

It's worth spending a few hours looking at properties and sending a canned email. Negotiate the price of the house too.

"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

coxito
IMPUDENT WRETCH!

Posts -145
Registered 9-17-2012

Mood: National

posted on 4-2-2016 at 05:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you're looking for a cruise Bermuda is my all time favorite (ive been on 15-20). Its the only cruise with overnights in port so you can fruely experience the local night life plus 2 days at sea on each side. The ships normally sail for Carnival out of Baltimore MD, Norfolk VA or Charleston SC depending on what you are looking for in a ship. If you can go ahead and plan to take a week off work your best bet is to wait until the week beforr to book your cruise because you can get some rock bottom rates when they are trying to fill the ship.
OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3951
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 4-3-2016 at 04:26 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice, our plans for Florida this May are basically visit my parents in Boca (they are Jewish, old and from NY they are required by law to retire to Boca) then spend a week in my wife's aunt's trailer in Venice. Besides looking for sea shells, and going deep sea fishing one day in the Gulf we are not planning on doing anything besides relaxing and sex.

That is the kind of vacation we are looking for, low pressure, no schedule (my sister-in-law had an itinerary the one time we vacationed with them) But we also like to see different and interesting things. Hence our debate about cruise (schedule but different places), or resort (relaxed but one place).

As for the time of the year, we are flexible, but it won't be early in the year since tax refund will be a big part of the funding...

We are not big drinkers, so that is not a real concern, but we like to eat and see interesting things.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 4-3-2016 at 04:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
If you go the all inclusive route, see about a non alcohol rate, the difference can be significant. Then you can decide if not big drinking is worth the difference.

"I wish sarcasm was available as a font." John Stuart Mill

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10874
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 4-3-2016 at 05:10 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Cape Canaveral/Kennedy Space Center tour would be on the top of my list. I'm big on ruins photography and wouldn't mind doing some urban-ex one day so I'd love to wander around the graveyard where they have the ruins of the old gantries and launch pads.

I'd like to go to Tampa to track down Jeb. The problem with Tampa is that swingers scene there that makes Vegas or Lake Tahoe look like nunneries in comparison. I hear that newcomers (snicker) are in serious danger of getting COHF'd as soon as they cross the city limits.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top