The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dumpster Diving?
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8316
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 2-16-2016 at 06:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BBMN
Would you toss out a bottle of pop that had 01/16 printed on it?

Yes, I would. I would toss it out on 1/17.

But that's me. Once things are past their date, they're gone from my fridge.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2516
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 2-16-2016 at 09:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You know that isn't an expiration date, right? That pop is for good several months, especially if it's canned and or cooled.

http://www.eatbydate.com/drinks/how-long-does-coke-last-shelf-life-expiration-date/

Many of the dates on processed foods aren't expiration dates. They're 'best by' dates... They're not exactly meat or produce that spoils in a week.

[Edited on 2-16-2016 by BBMN]

"Put the chicken wings down n come to Jihad bro."

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8316
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 2-16-2016 at 10:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Of course I know that, but I don't care.

Even though I don't drink soda, I'll still use it as the example-- with stuff like that, I figure the date on the can is months and months into the future from when it's purchased. So if I haven't bothered to drink it it before the "best by" date, I almost certainly not going to bother afterward.

And yes, I know there's a huge difference between expiation dates and sell by dates, and sell by dates are a big ambiguous mystery. So I don't chance it. But again, that's just me.

Stuff like milk, yogurt, other dairy... once the day of the expiration date hits, it's gone.

I've gotten better with eggs in the past few years. I used to throw those in the garbage the day of the sell by date as well, but now I'll keep them around for a few days or a week after it.

Even stuff that's not anywhere close to the expiration date-- stuff like lunch meat, sour cream, etc., things like that-- if it's been opened for a while and in the fridge, I still feel funky about eating it, so I'll throw it away.

But again, when it comes to perishables, I'm overly cautious. When bring leftovers home from a restaurant, I'll eat them the next day. But if they're still in the fridge the day after that? Going in the trash.

[Edited on 2-16-2016 by punkerhardcore]

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2516
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 2-16-2016 at 10:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yea, there's a huge difference between fresh foods and processed shit. I get saying you would toss eggs or milk immediately after the date, but pop makes no real sense. I guess my point was that most of the crap we eat is good for a very very long time if it's unopened. Hence the notion that something that's been tossed being instantly spoiled is perplexing. It simply moved from point A to point B, but it's still fine.

I guess I would compare tossing pop the day after the sell by date, to tossing pizza leftovers within half a day of ordering said pizza. Kinda weird. Like that's perfectly edible food. Seriously, pop is just sugar and water. It takes ages to spoil. And that's the point with the movie - we are irrational in how we view food. We willingly waste vast amounts of water and energy for shit we will never ever consume. Because.

But I digress. What I thought would perhaps clue some people in, or actually end up in advice based on experience, has turned into me calling you all dumb dumb heads from atop a soap box made of perfectly good but aesthetically displeasing bananas.

[Edited on 2-16-2016 by BBMN]

CVD39
Showstopper

Posts 806
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 2-17-2016 at 01:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There's a difference between drinking a soda/beer past the "expiration date" and going through a dumpster to find this kind of stuff. If you told me there was brand new food/drinks (packaged) in a dumpster somewhere, I wouldn't think twice about declining to find it. There's some things I just don't do. If I were homeless, I'd have to do what is have to do but I'm not and fortunately I have options so I've never had to consider breaking my no dumpster meal rule.

I know fake sugars are different but I did drink a diet Pepsi a few years back that was out of date and I had the black sludge for a few hours (of course, that just coulda been the diet Pepsi. WTF was I thinking.) Learned my lesson.

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11678
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 2-17-2016 at 02:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
once the day of the expiration date hits, it's gone.

I used to throw those in the garbage the day of the sell by date as well

if it's been opened for a while and in the fridge, I still feel funky about eating it, so I'll throw it away.

But if they're still in the fridge the day after that? Going in the trash.

Well look at this guy with his fancy disposable income.

Kidding, although it does seem a tad wasteful from the perspective of someone who doesn't put as much thought into the dates.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4563
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 3-30-2016 at 01:36 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It was maybe a decade ago, but I remember there was a story in the local paper about how WalMart had charged some people for taking stuff from their garbage. Apparently a lot of clothes and otherwise good stuff goes (or went, like I said about a decade ago) into the trash/compactors, and if you ain't buying it, WalMart doesn't want you to have it.

I can't say I'd ever eat from a dumpster barring near starvation... my only brush with any kind of food industry was working for a movie theatre and when we would pitch out the left over popcorn and stuff like that it was often exposed to some cleaning chemicals used for the kettle before it went in the trash- it would otherwise look like a mostly good looking clear garbage bag full of popcorn.... So yeah, at least for movie theatres I'd say steer clear of dumpster diving.... although I did work with a guy who'd as we were cleaning the theatres between movies would sometimes eat the left over bags of popcorn or nachos tossed on the floor or left on seats for people too lazy to throw their trash out (seriously.... in what other corner of society is it thought of as perfectly acceptable to just throw your garbage on the floor?)

We also have "forgiveness" days for the garbage pickups around my neck of the woods, and you will generally see droves of people picking through people's trash up and down the street... and truth be told some of them look like they score some good stuff. What pisses me off though is some of them will pick through moving stuff out of neatly packed boxes and just leave it strewn about people's lawns... if you're going to take stuff fine, but put things back how you found them when you're done.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top