The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2015 bOOardies: The Winning-ing!
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8969
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-3-2016 at 07:46 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
2015 bOOardies: The Winning-ing!

Closing these out. And now.....

...the "winners":

Lifetime (Un)Achievement: DevilSoprano

Poster: punkerhardcore

Breakthrough Poster: Foxcalibur

Jackass: DevilSoprano

Wrestling Thread: BROCK STAYING

Wrestler: Seth Rollins

Wrestling Match: Sasha vs Bayley at NXT Brooklyn

Special Event: NXT Takeover: Brooklyn

CATEGORIES NOT RUN IN 2014:
Post of the Year
Flame of the Year
Feud of the Year
Trainwreck Thread
Off-Topic Thread

Another subpar year in nominations and voting participation - heck, almost half of the normal categories didn't even have winners - but the winners should all feel good (or bad...) about their victories here nonetheless. Congrats all. Let the gloating and thanking and fuck you-ing begin.

Don't Mess With Texas

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6257
Registered 1-28-2013
Location Ooh Eeh Ooh Ah Aah Ting Tang Walla Walla Bing Bang

Mood: Turd Cutterson

posted on 1-3-2016 at 08:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dev, you are still dangerous...but you can be my wingman any time.

Nice work puttin' me over the top, you dicks. Do you know how hard it is to type "reference word" + gif into the Google and then post it here in order to provide you all with the low quality, non-entertainment you've come to expect from ol' Janerd? Sonsabitches, all of you.

T.Hanks, everybody.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10854
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: safety danse

posted on 1-4-2016 at 02:19 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Suggestion to make the Boardies more noticeable: move them to the main/current wrestling section and give them their own top-of-the-page sub-folder there. Parts Unknown remains unknown to too many people here who bypass it altogether. Whether they're too lazy to scroll down or they're interested in wrestling talk only, leaving the awards in PU probably isn't helping. We're never going to be able to overcome outside factors like the rise of Facebook putting the boots to old-style discussion boards, or the decline in wrestling attendance/viewership being mirrored to the decline of wrestling-centric discussion places. Might have to be a bit more proactive and just try to make things like this more noticeable to boost participation. Either that or it was just too many gifs that chased away all the dial-up 56K participants that used to make up OO's lifeblood.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8969
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-4-2016 at 03:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Rick has been putting up banners at the top of the main board page. Same thing he or Matte do for Showdowns. Might help some though.

Don't Mess With Texas

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12741
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA
Member Is Online

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-4-2016 at 08:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A WINNER IS ME!
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7897
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 1-4-2016 at 07:22 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by salmonjunkie
A WINNER IS ME!

This may or may not have something to do with williamssl's hatred of female booty.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8969
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-4-2016 at 07:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I love the lady booty. And I love that pic.

Don't Mess With Texas

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8006
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-6-2016 at 03:40 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So, I'm not even sure what to say.

I thought about coming in here and just telling everyone off for old times sake but then I realized no matter what some people may not want to forget, I'm not that guy anymore.

I thought about thanking everyone, but part of me gets the idea I got this just so I wouldn't be that guy who came in 2nd or 3rd for 10 straight years which was possible if I didn't get it this year.

So, I'll just make it simple...thanks for making this board a part of my life for over a decade and good or bad, engaging me in some great discussions from wrestling to sports to fantasy booking & drafting, to games, to Twilight avatar parties, and everything in between.

I'm not going anywhere but it's clear the message boards in general are dying a slow death across the internet because of Facebook, blogs, & podcasts but I'll continue to contribute where I can.

Good luck and good night.

Check out my podcast.... www.tvforvendetta.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8969
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-6-2016 at 03:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
TWILIGHT AVATAR PARTY FTW!

Don't Mess With Texas

Thom
The Immortal One

Posts 4890
Registered 1-14-2003
Location At the gym

Mood: Rather be lifting

posted on 1-6-2016 at 02:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

#GLENNSURVIVESLOL - Cherokee Jack, from TWD Season 6 thread

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11679
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 1-6-2016 at 11:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Congrats to all the winners. I'm curious to see how the Breakthrough Poster category fairs at the 2016 bOOardies.

Also...
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
quote:
Originally posted by williamssl
Voting for Dev here is reflex action. I see him nominated, I hit the button and vote. I can't not do it.

This. Just too many years of voting for Dev in this category

If he wins it again this year, might I suggest that it retires this category? Kind of pointless to keep it going since what I quoted here seems to be the general sentiment all around. The guy did nothing to deserve this most coveted award this year and yet, here we are.

quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
Maybe rename the award after Dev and take him out of the running?

Will there be any more discussion on this?

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8316
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 1-7-2016 at 12:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Awesome. Not really sure how I won that one, but I'll take it!

Like... it was just handed to me and I'm not sure if I totally deserve the biggest prize.

Just like someone else... right on the tip of my tongu--

There we go.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7679
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-7-2016 at 01:01 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sufferin' succotash son!

Also, congrats to Dev for pulling off the lifetime/jackass double-victory and congrats to all the other winners as well.

quote:
CATEGORIES NOT RUN IN 2014:
Post of the Year
Flame of the Year
Feud of the Year
Trainwreck Thread
Off-Topic Thread

Another subpar year in nominations and voting participation - heck, almost half of the normal categories didn't even have winners - but the winners should all feel good (or bad...) about their victories here nonetheless. Congrats all. Let the gloating and thanking and fuck you-ing begin.

Since OO is kind of a different place than it was ten or even five years ago (i.e. less feuding, flaming, and train-wrecking in general) might we want to think about tweaking existing awards and/or introducing some new ones? Not sure what all that would entail, but maybe it would breath some new life into things at the end of the year.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 8969
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

posted on 1-7-2016 at 01:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Every year I ask for suggestions on this and get crickets chirping in response. A couple years back I threw in a bunch of wrestling-specific ones and a few have stuck so yay. If you've got thoughts or recos, make them.

We struggle with anything that is post-related, which is less a function of the post and more a function of ignorance/laziness to actually go throw it in a memory jogger thread. If the people who actually post "post of the year candidate right there" took the same 10 seconds out of their day and quoted it in the memory jogger thread....we'd have quite an inventory of posts to work with. True, there are a bunch of people who aren't aware of the awards and I'll do some things differently (albeit intrusively) next year to fix that. But again...if you're quoting something and saying "post of the year", you're (a) aware of the bOOardies and (b) willing to have spent 5ish seconds to acknowledge it, so yeah - laziness.

re: jackass
Honestly, I'll defer to Dev on that one. I'm not sure which is worse, having that award named after you, or repeat winning it year over year. I looked back and he's won it 3 out of the past 7 years (well, 3 of past 5 and back to back...). If it's me, I'd rather risk the annual nomination and potential winning then have my name perpetually associated with something that I don't want anything to do with, in general and especially more recently. If he wants to be removed from any future consideration but have it be the "DevSop Memorial Jackass of the Year Award", that's his call to make. I'm keeping it as is unless he says differently.

Don't Mess With Texas

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 11679
Registered 12-16-2008

Mood: Tight

posted on 1-7-2016 at 01:57 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I wasn't really thinking name it after him, just quoted that as a part of the discussion. I was thinking either take him out of the running, or have some kind of "qualification" for nominations in that category. Maybe a brief explanation of why someone is being nominated, with you being the judge of whether or not it makes sense. That way, someone can't nominate Dev because their explanation would be "because he's won it several times before" and that doesn't make sense.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy 2010

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7897
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 1-7-2016 at 02:08 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matte
Maybe a brief explanation of why someone is being nominated, with you being the judge of whether or not it makes sense. That way, someone can't nominate Dev because their explanation would be "because he's won it several times before" and that doesn't make sense.

I'm still waiting for his list of wrestlers better than Bret.

And oddly I agree there are worst posters. The homophobic moron in the Sam thread for example. But voting for Dev is fun. I don't think anybody hates Dev, but this is a place of running gags. Is it as good as some others? Mabey. You can microplay or not, but it is what it is.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8006
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-7-2016 at 02:34 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here's the only wrestler better than Bret that matters. I think Trish Stratus is a better overall wrestler than Bret Hart. Happy?

And I honestly don't care about jackass. If people think it's funny, I can't stop it. I really don't want it named after me, but those people who have been here a long time know if people really want me to be a jackass, I can very easily oblige them.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
merc
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1514
Registered 2-23-2006
Location New England

Mood: GO PATS!!!

posted on 1-9-2016 at 02:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
Here's the only wrestler better than Bret that matters. I think Trish Stratus is a better overall wrestler than Bret Hart. Happy?

No

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7679
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-10-2016 at 08:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Every year I ask for suggestions on this and get crickets chirping in response.

I've missed that, so that's my bad. I guess it is hard to come up with new categories and/or sustain old ones during an era of peace here at OO. One recommendation I can come up with off of the top of my head would be a counter to the Wrestler of the Year award, so maybe a Worst Wrestler of the Year or Wrestler I Hated Seeing On My TV award?

quote:
Originally posted by DevilSoprano
I think Trish Stratus is a better overall wrestler than Bret Hart.

All you had to do was not say that. But you did, so my early vote for Jackass of the Year 2016 goes to...

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12741
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA
Member Is Online

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-10-2016 at 08:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon
quote:
Every year I ask for suggestions on this and get crickets chirping in response.

maybe a Worst Wrestler of the Year or Wrestler I Hated Seeing On My TV award?

I second this

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Columbo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1012
Registered 11-2-2004
Location @columbo527

Mood: GodDamnWOOO

posted on 1-11-2016 at 09:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm going to paste all of my posts this year into the memory jogger thread for post of the year. That should give everyone like 5 or 6 choices...

"The North Cafeteria, named after Admiral William North, is located in the western portion of East Hall, gateway to the western half of North Hall, which is named, not after William North, but for its position above the South Wall. It is the most contested and confusing battlefield on Greendale’s campus, next to the English Memorial Spanish Center, named after English Memorial, a Portuguese sailor that discovered Greendale while looking for a fountain that cured syphilis."

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2516
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 2-15-2016 at 04:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I swear to God that I'm the Leonardo Dicaprio of this board.

Except he at least gets nominated once in a while.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top