The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  31    32    33    34    35    36  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OO Universe's homage to the next President of the USoA
Quentil
Showstopper

Posts 778
Registered 5-13-2003
Location Saratoga Springs, NY

Mood:

posted on 7-18-2017 at 06:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
As far as Charger and NAFTA goes, fair enough. I just know that he's a huge anti-free trade sort of guy. But I don't want to mistake a point he made, either. So thanks.

As far as the rest? I think there's equal blame to be had by all Democrats, and that 2018 needs to be a recovery year. The Democrats also need to dump Pelosi, and Hillary needs to stay the hell away from their functions. The Dems have a lot of anger and a lot of ammunition to use this time around.

I hope they fire often and accurately. And I mean that for both wingnut far left and angry old men moderates.

GodEatGod
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1556
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 7-19-2017 at 12:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I blame Trump on exactly one group of people: people who voted for Trump.

Because all the other stuff - identity politics, economic tension, shifting demographics, blah blah blah - all of that only matters in a close race. And this shouldn't have been close. It should've been a landslide. Hillary, Bernie, Jill Stein, Ron Paul, a bucket of wet cement - I'd have voted for any of those before Trump. I won't go through the laundry list of shit that he did because we all lived with that election for far too long as it is.

Last year's election taught me that a significant proportion of our country is just fucking stupid. Yeah, I wish more progressives had come out to vote, more minorities, more sensible middle class people who could get over their ennui over the 'two evils' and just pull the fucking lever. I wish the media had the balls to actually call out when someone blatantly lies and give up the version of objectivity which suggests that facts can be a matter of perspective and just shrug their shoulders as if there's no way to know who's right on issues like fucking climate change.

But, in the end, I only blame the people who looked at that bloated, narcissistic, dim-witted, ketchup-sucking tantrum baby and said "Good enough for me". Because they're the ones who fucked us. They're the problem. Trump's just a fucking symptom.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2407
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 7-19-2017 at 01:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quentil
and Hillary needs to stay the hell away...

She's fucking awful. And there is no god. Therefore she will jump in the mix again.

The Dems need to cryo-freeze Biden until 2019. Biden-Warren in 2020.

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 783
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-19-2017 at 03:55 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod

Last year's election taught me that a significant proportion of our country is just fucking stupid.

Yeah, that's pretty much my takeaway. I never thought I would think half the country is that dumb, but golly, won't make that mistake again.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008
Location Stupid Idiot Section

Mood: ChinceMcMahon

posted on 7-19-2017 at 05:04 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I don't want to insult them but I still literally can't believe that anyone would genuinely think that a bullshit artist like Donald Trump would solve their problems and "save" their country for them. I still can't imagine in what universe that ANYONE takes him seriously as any kind of respectable leader. Even a cursory examination of his history prior to the election would have shown that for his entire life he was nothing but the ultimate grifter. Toss in his lifelong bullying, associations with known criminals, and incessant breaking of any corporate, business, or taxation laws that he encountered and anyone with any residual respect at all for the concept of law & order should have rejected him on sight. Yeah, Clinton was and is horrible, and fuck the Dems to hell for selecting her, but in what way in terms of laws or basic morals isn't Donald Trump a thousand times worse?

Is TV really that powerful that nonsense like Celebrity Apprentice was enough to convince people that he'd be great CinC? Was the hatred for the Obamunist, and the federal government, really that strong that to Trump voters there was no other response available except to put one of the worst white-collar criminals American capitalism has ever vomited out into the White House? Only history will answer some time in the future I guess. Yeah, I know the right-wing media hate-machine is incredibly strong and influential and has deluded millions of people but who in the hell could even look at a cretin like Trump and not instantaneously know what a total piece of fucking shit he is?

[Edited on 7/19/2017 by Paddlefoot]

Oh my god, they've shot Cabbagehead!

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3712
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 7-19-2017 at 11:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
I don't want to insult them but I still literally can't believe that anyone would genuinely think that a bullshit artist like Donald Trump would solve their problems and "save" their country for them.
Was the hatred for the Obamunist, and the federal government, really that strong that to Trump voters there was no other response available except to put one of the worst white-collar criminals American capitalism has ever vomited out into the White House?
[Edited on 7/19/2017 by Paddlefoot]

I know a few Trump supporters and it comes down to those two reasons:
1. Trump will give him more money, they are in the upper tax brackets and know that any Trump tax reform will cut their tax bill, plus they own a business and blame Obamacare for all the hassle they have to go through with health care for their employees.

or

2. They are racist and hated that a Black dared to be in charge of this beautiful country and not know his place. Plus those damn homosexuals need to go back into the closet.

I try my best not to talk politics with the first group, I try not to talk to the second group at all.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 7-19-2017 at 09:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I suppose a winning Democratic platform for 2020 would be to simply say that they'll overturn and reverse each and every single thing Trump does, much like the GOP have essentially done with anything Obama did. That presumes though that the Dems are actually interested in winning, as opposed to their usual election campaign wimp-out ritual of getting sodomized to death by the Republicans just so they can once again say after they're defeated that "at least we took the high road".

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 7-20-2017 at 02:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Interesting article here in analyzing the Trump voter. Most don't believe any of the bullshit he peddles. The jobs aren't coming back, and the financial quicksand under their feet isn't going to magically change into solid ground. As per Hunter S. Thompson, which the article centers on, the entire point of voting for Trump is about "total retaliation" against being used up and then left behind by the system. Sanders understood this. Clinton is part of the elite that caused the problems to begin with and never would , or ever will, understand it. And neither will the Dems who still have far too many Clintonites in positions of power inside the party. Trump, although he's dumb as a fucking post in far too many categories to count, did understand enough that this entire phenomenon is something he could exploit, and this is why he's now in the office where he can hold a knife up against the throat of the entire fucking world.

https://www.thenation.com/article/this-political-theorist-predicted-the-rise-of-trumpism-his-name-was-hunter-s-thompson/

quote:
Most people read Hell’s Angels for the lurid stories of sex and drugs. But that misses the point entirely. What’s truly shocking about reading the book today is how well Thompson foresaw the retaliatory, right-wing politics that now goes by the name of Trumpism. After following the motorcycle guys around for months, Thompson concluded that the most striking thing about them was not their hedonism but their “ethic of total retaliation” against a technologically advanced and economically changing America in which they felt they’d been counted out and left behind. Thompson saw the appeal of that retaliatory ethic. He claimed that a small part of every human being longs to burn it all down, especially when faced with great and impersonal powers that seem hostile to your very existence. In the United States, a place of ever greater and more impersonal powers, the ethic of total retaliation was likely to catch on.

What made that outcome almost certain, Thompson thought, was the obliviousness of Berkeley, California, types who, from the safety of their cocktail parties, imagined that they understood and represented the downtrodden. The Berkeley types, Thompson thought, were not going to realize how presumptuous they had been until the downtrodden broke into one of those cocktail parties and embarked on a campaign of rape, pillage, and slaughter. For Thompson, the Angels weren’t important because they heralded a new movement of cultural hedonism, but because they were the advance guard for a new kind of right-wing politics. As Thompson presciently wrote in the Nation piece he later expanded on in Hell’s Angels, that kind of politics is “nearly impossible to deal with” using reason or empathy or awareness-raising or any of the other favorite tools of the left.

BBMN
HAVES A CROOKED DICK!! !

Posts 2407
Registered 6-27-2007
Location tumblr

Mood: SJW

posted on 7-20-2017 at 03:51 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
bullshit artist

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1359
Registered 12-6-2005
Location Long Island, New York

Mood: Relaxed

posted on 7-21-2017 at 07:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Spicey's resigned now after objecting to Trump's choice of new communications director Anthony Scaramucci.

[Edited on 7-21-2017 by anglefan85]

The WWE: Where no one wins, unless you like Cena, in which case you are a sad little fanboy who will never get laid, but we are happy to take your money away-Moosehead Jack

"She is an estrogen molotov cocktail. It'd be in your best interest not to piss her off."- My thoughts on Firewoman

"Kurt Angle is like a living vortex of the surreal. On the off chance he's not doing, saying or thinking crazy things, people connected to him act crazy by association, caught in the gravitational pull of his insanity."- Ringout from FAN Forums

Quentil
Showstopper

Posts 778
Registered 5-13-2003

Mood:

posted on 7-22-2017 at 07:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
And now for something completely different. I wrote a poem inspired by my Facebook wall as I was drinking my first coffee of the day. I'm gonna share it because it's fucking art, man. Plus, I lack Janerd's wonderful Giffing ability, and instead must make do with High School caliber shitty emo poetry to distract people from the fact that I hate you all. Err, that last part was supposed to be inner typing voice. Dammit. Anyhow, behold my high school angst returned for one night only~!

Pointless Political Poetry

The leadership is a traitorous Cheeto,
and half my friends are racist scum.
The other half are leftist radicals
I'm the NeoLiberal Centrist Bum.

China is on the march again,
given free reign by delusional Americans.
Russia is on the march again,
given free reign by forgetful Americans.

We argue over how many bathrooms we need,
Rail on about False Flag attacks on Jesus,
Spout utter disbelief about how guns kill people,
And yet the Ice Caps melt and we shrug indifference.

The shining city on the hill.
That's us, believe it or not.
The warm embrace of freedom.
Locking in us all with barbed-wire topped walls.

Republican Johnny, go get your gun.
And please up the ritalin dosage for everyone.
It's time to be Martyrs on the Nationalist cross,
dying for the principles of your corporate boss.

Democratic Petey, go get your rifle.
And please make sure the lavender oil is plentiful.
It's time to be Martyrs on the multi-cultural cross,

All of us dying
for the same Kings and Queens
no matter how many games
are played. The end.

janerd75
The Immortal One

Posts 4344
Registered 1-28-2013

Mood: Cabbage Head

posted on 7-23-2017 at 03:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote

The leadership is a traitorous Cheeto,
and half my friends are racist scum.
The other half are leftist radicals
I'm the NeoLiberal Centrist Bum.

China is on the march again,
given free reign by delusional Americans.
Russia is on the march again,
given free reign by forgetful Americans.

We argue over how many bathrooms we need,
Rail on about False Flag attacks on Jesus,
Spout utter disbelief about how guns kill people,
And yet the Ice Caps melt and we shrug indifference.

The shining city on the hill.
That's us, believe it or not.
The warm embrace of freedom.
Locking in us all with barbed-wire topped walls.

Republican Johnny, go get your gun.
And please up the ritalin dosage for everyone.
It's time to be Martyrs on the Nationalist cross,

Democratic Petey, go get your rifle.
And please make sure the lavender oil is plentiful.
It's time to be Martyrs on the multi-cultural cross,

All of us dying
for the same Kings and Queens
no matter how many games
are played. The end.

Originally posted by DKBroiler
She looks so different when not in character as a jizz dartboard. What an amazing performer on so many levels.
Side note, anyone else think her finisher should be known as Paige’s Stuck Together?

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3712
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 7-24-2017 at 12:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here is the third reason someone voted for Trump:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/07/23/voted-trump-save-lives-sophia-buono-column/413823001/

Basically this college age intern explains that she voted for Trump because he was the only Pro-life candidate. My sister-in-law feels the same, for them there is one issue, abortion, and they will vote for the pro-life candidate no matter what.

Does that make sense since so many of these candidates don't give two shits about them after they escape the womb? No, but hey, don't waste time using logic, just shake your head and walk away.

ETA: This shit is starting to get me nervous in a Jew in the 1920's Germany way...
quote:

Echoing the president, Dobbs called stories like this “fake news” during his interview Sunday. “It's time to stop fake news and shut 'em down, and I mean shut 'em down,” Dobbs said, calling on the government to close any media outlet that the president deems to be false. In March, Trump called American media the "enemy of the people."

http://www.newsweek.com/trump-fox-news-host-lou-dobbs-640850

[Edited on 7-25-2017 by OOMike]

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2721
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 7-25-2017 at 10:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Interesting article here in analyzing the Trump voter. Most don't believe any of the bullshit he peddles. The jobs aren't coming back, and the financial quicksand under their feet isn't going to magically change into solid ground. As per Hunter S. Thompson, which the article centers on, the entire point of voting for Trump is about "total retaliation" against being used up and then left behind by the system. Sanders understood this. Clinton is part of the elite that caused the problems to begin with and never would , or ever will, understand it. And neither will the Dems who still have far too many Clintonites in positions of power inside the party. Trump, although he's dumb as a fucking post in far too many categories to count, did understand enough that this entire phenomenon is something he could exploit, and this is why he's now in the office where he can hold a knife up against the throat of the entire fucking world.

I've been trying to avoid all things Trump, including this thread, as everything he does makes me quiveringly angry. What I'm posting is not directed at you, Pad, but the people you're writing about.

First, since more people voted for Hillary than not, I'd say the majority of people didn't vote for retaliation against the elite. Had enough people from Pennsylvania, Wisconsin at what-not that could fill a football stadium voted Hillary, then the Electoral College could kick rocks. Since Clinton won the popular vote and the Electoral vote was so close, I'm not convinced that this was some cultural revolution.

But let's say it is, and people really did get left behind by the Clinton years. Well, fuck them. FUCK THEM. They left themselves behind, because the people with the education and the tools to succeed had as much of a chance to succeed as others. These are the same people who shit on teachers for trying to teach, who vote against educational measures that would help them, hate science because it contradicts the Jeebus, and like government handouts just fine when it benefits them and only them. Their own ignorance holds them back, they prize stupidity rather than intelligence, and they resented both Clinton and Obama for trying to offer the very advantages they turn down year after after year after year to minorities. To me, these Alex Jones slurping cunts are no less delusional than the terrorists who believe a bunch of virgins are waiting for them in heaven when they blow themselves up. Fuck them dead, all of 'em. I'm so over these cunts who act like the country belongs to only them, but don't have the smarts or the guts to promote, vote for, and value the very things that would allow them to not be left behind. They're not left behind. They dig holes in the ground, fill them with piss and shit, jump in them willingly, scorn the people who avoid that nonsense, and THEN claim they're left behind. Then they vote for Trump because he promotes and dignifies their own cowardice and ignorance and vilifies the media who points out those obvious contradictions. So they can go ahead and stick fingers in their ears and blame the people who have the smarts to adapt to change, because they're only hurting themselves. It's what they're best at, honestly. Who the fuck are they going to blame when in four years things are worse for them than ever?

[Edited on 7-25-2017 by denverpunk]

Matte
"Family Man"

Posts 10158
Registered 12-16-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: #BROKEN

posted on 7-25-2017 at 10:32 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by denverpunk
Who the fuck are they going to blame when in four years things are worse for them than ever?

Obama.

"I'm a professional. I know exactly what I'm doing." - Jeff Hardy

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2721
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 7-25-2017 at 10:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yep.
G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1203
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 7-26-2017 at 12:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Also, in four years, they're not going to think things are worse than ever, because all the media they consume will be telling them things are 10,000 percent better. And even if Trump doesn't keep any of his explicit campaign promises, he will continue to be a force that upsets liberals, and that's the No. 1 priority for a lot of his fans.
anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1359
Registered 12-6-2005
Location Long Island, New York

Mood: Relaxed

posted on 7-26-2017 at 02:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
Also, in four years, they're not going to think things are worse than ever, because all the media they consume will be telling them things are 10,000 percent better. And even if Trump doesn't keep any of his explicit campaign promises, he will continue to be a force that upsets liberals, and that's the No. 1 priority for a lot of his fans.

While continuing to forget that the guy who is calling out Hillary for all of her past transgressions didn't seem to have much of an issue about it when he endorsed her back in 2008. And not just endorsed, but put out a video about it on Youtube where he practically praised her like she was the Messiah. He even said in the interview after the election that he wasn't gonna go after her, and that her and her family are good people.

The man has no loyalty while simultaneously demanding that others give their unwavering loyalty to him. He's currently throwing his own Attorney General under the bus, and Sessions was one of the few Senators that sung his praises from the very beginning. If he's willing to do that for a man that holds power, he's gonna do worse to those that he doesn't even know exist.

EDIT: And now if you're trans, you're banned from the military. And the hits keep coming.

[Edited on 7-26-2017 by anglefan85]

The WWE: Where no one wins, unless you like Cena, in which case you are a sad little fanboy who will never get laid, but we are happy to take your money away-Moosehead Jack

"She is an estrogen molotov cocktail. It'd be in your best interest not to piss her off."- My thoughts on Firewoman

"Kurt Angle is like a living vortex of the surreal. On the off chance he's not doing, saying or thinking crazy things, people connected to him act crazy by association, caught in the gravitational pull of his insanity."- Ringout from FAN Forums

Chris Is Good517
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12570
Registered 1-10-2002
Location Little Rock, AR

Mood:

posted on 7-26-2017 at 08:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by G. Jonah Jameson
And even if Trump doesn't keep any of his explicit campaign promises, he will continue to be a force that upsets liberals, and that's the No. 1 priority for a lot of his fans.

I saw a tweet today along the lines of

Me: Did you just shoot yourself in the dick?
Conservative: Sure did!
Me: But doesn't that hurt you?
Conservative: Haha yeah but liberals hate it SO MUCH.

So these mouthbreathers will keep voting against their own self-interests just to annoy us, because nothing owns libs like empowering people who actively work to keep them sick, poor, and uneducated.

Monday Night Flaw, a podcast about professional wrestling starring OO's own Figure Foreskin as Andy the Smarmy Host and Chris Is Good517 as Cousin Balki.

CCharger
The Great One

Posts 3770
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Covfefe

posted on 7-26-2017 at 10:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There's a whole industry based on trolling liberals. Conservatives are more against liberals than they are for conservatives.

"She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted."

"The powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned."
--- Stephen Miller, Trump senior White House advisor, Feb. 12, 2017

bopol
Showstopper

Posts 783
Registered 1-18-2013

Mood:

posted on 7-27-2017 at 03:06 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

I've been trying to avoid all things Trump, including this thread, as everything he does makes me quiveringly angry. What I'm posting is not directed at you, Pad, but the people you're writing about.

First, since more people voted for Hillary than not, I'd say the majority of people didn't vote for retaliation against the elite. Had enough people from Pennsylvania, Wisconsin at what-not that could fill a football stadium voted Hillary, then the Electoral College could kick rocks. Since Clinton won the popular vote and the Electoral vote was so close, I'm not convinced that this was some cultural revolution.

But let's say it is, and people really did get left behind by the Clinton years. Well, fuck them. FUCK THEM. They left themselves behind, because the people with the education and the tools to succeed had as much of a chance to succeed as others. These are the same people who shit on teachers for trying to teach, who vote against educational measures that would help them, hate science because it contradicts the Jeebus, and like government handouts just fine when it benefits them and only them. Their own ignorance holds them back, they prize stupidity rather than intelligence, and they resented both Clinton and Obama for trying to offer the very advantages they turn down year after after year after year to minorities. To me, these Alex Jones slurping cunts are no less delusional than the terrorists who believe a bunch of virgins are waiting for them in heaven when they blow themselves up. Fuck them dead, all of 'em. I'm so over these cunts who act like the country belongs to only them, but don't have the smarts or the guts to promote, vote for, and value the very things that would allow them to not be left behind. They're not left behind. They dig holes in the ground, fill them with piss and shit, jump in them willingly, scorn the people who avoid that nonsense, and THEN claim they're left behind. Then they vote for Trump because he promotes and dignifies their own cowardice and ignorance and vilifies the media who points out those obvious contradictions. So they can go ahead and stick fingers in their ears and blame the people who have the smarts to adapt to change, because they're only hurting themselves. It's what they're best at, honestly. Who the fuck are they going to blame when in four years things are worse for them than ever?

[Edited on 7-25-2017 by denverpunk]

Geez, Denverpunk, this is a Cornette worthy rant. I nominate for post of the year.

I only signed up so I can read the forum.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 8058
Registered 1-19-2008

posted on 7-27-2017 at 05:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hate going as far as "fuck them all" to an entire demographic. After all isn't what the supremacists believe with their persistent "not ever gonna get their shit together so fuck 'em" attitude towards blacks? That being said I can see the patience running out when dealing with people who repetitively do the exact opposite of common sense when it comes to making their own lives better. I suspect that anyone who truly believes in the myth of Saint Reagan, or says that only FOX and Rush Limpbaugh are telling them the truth, or that Donald Trump actually earned his fortune on his own instead of inheriting a couple hundred million when his dad died, can no more be gotten through to with actual facts or evidence than a wetbrain drunk or severe meth addict can be when someone is trying to save their life. This isn't an endorsement of the Dems, because fuck them too for a variety of things. But holy shit, if any poor person in an economically devastated area thinks that things will ever get better for them if they keep voting GOP or if they keep supporting Trump then it's whole different breed of insanity that's operating among these people.

denverpunk
The Rowdy One

Posts 2721
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

posted on 7-27-2017 at 02:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, my empathy has limits, and you're right with your points regarding how 'fuck em all' is used against people like me too. I just don't know what it's going to take for people to realize that the problem isn't the Mexicans, the LGBTQ community, or any other marginalized group that they can project their fears and blame their own problems on. This country has a huge problem with a lack of self-awareness, and it's gonna kill us in the end.
Quentil
Showstopper

Posts 778
Registered 5-13-2003

Mood:

posted on 7-27-2017 at 02:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm right there with you in pretty much everything that you say here. It's my belief that America has gained a huge victim complex. Everyone is a victim, and it's always someone or something else's fault. And a lot of people would rather burn it all down than admit they are even one tiny bit to blame for their bad choices in life. I mean, I get that money and luck and the like all play a role in a happy and successful life. And I do feel the angst and bitterness from the poor and middle class at how the rich are just flat out richer and richer and richer while they kinda stay in the same place.

But for so many of the poor and middle class, it's because they refuse to do something about it or use the resources available to them. And then when it's too late, they are angry that they no longer have the time to do so. So they blame brown people or people who worship a triangle instead of a rectangle and then hold out their hand because they are "owed it."

It can be scary having to reinvest effort into education and cultural awareness because twenty years have gone by. And laugh now, but it happens to everyone. And even if you mean the best intent, you still will get shit on by someone half your age with a quarter the understanding of the world all because they just took a humanities class and now know the answer to everything. But yeah, people need to be more comfortable with a mid-life education rather than a mid-life crisis. Word meanings and cultural bias changes, after all. And every generation feels they are the ones that have the secret cheat code to unlock Utopia that every other generation somehow missed. And every generation turns angry and slightly bitter when they realize they didn't.

Personal anecdote time: A friend of mine is literally two semesters short of a degree. He dropped out of college because of relationship drama, of mostly his own creation. But it happens.

For years now, he's talked about going back to college. Almost every time I hang out with him, he talks about it. And it's with passion and intent, complaining about how if only he could go back, things in his life would improve. And yet when my friends and I tell him to go back, he always has excuses like money and time and all the rest. We've explained to him exactly how he can resolve all of these, explained that as an adult learner with a modest income, the government will essentially cover everything and then some so long as he goes to a state school and maintains decent grades. That said schools offer daycare, online classes, and plenty of other things to help people exactly in his situation in life. But he never really listens.

Because he's too needy of the belief that life is unfair and that he can't do anything about it as a foundation piece to his way of looking at things, that he uses it like a crutch now. It allows him to just go home and get high and play Playstation and complain about how life isn't fair.

He also is the sort that believes the government is out of get everyone, and is hiding a world government and that 9/11 might be an inside job and vaccines could kill you sort of logic. He also is the sort that does things just to spite "The Man." He'd most certainly vote for someone just because it was funny to do so. That is, if he actually voted. Because every election, he's always "too busy" or "can't get time off from work" even though he works across the street from the city center where voting is done and his workplace gives everyone an hour to go vote.

I love the guy. I've known him forever. He's not a bad person. He's not racist. He works hard to pay his bills and to raise his daughter. But he's exactly the sort that allows it all collapse just because it'll prove what he's been telling himself all along about how life is unfair. It's vindication for him when his truck breaks down or when someone else gets a promotion instead of him. Because it reinforces his belief that somehow, someway, the system is rigged against him specifically.

I have the feeling a lot of Trump supporters are like that. Only perhaps more racist.

CamstunPWG187
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1780
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 8-9-2017 at 03:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Trump's latest words to North Korea have got everyone quite scared.

They're along the lines of "We have nuclear weapons, why not use them?" and "if they do anything, we're gonna hit them with firepower the likes of which the world has never seen".

Very Kim Jong Un-y.

The president sucks.

<<  31    32    33    34    35    36  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top