The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper
TomS
Showstopper

Posts 784
Registered 7-7-2006

Mood: Moody

posted on 7-31-2015 at 10:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper

TMZ is reporting Roddy Piper has passed away at the age of 61

http://www.tmz.com/2015/07/31/roddy-piper-dead-dies-wwe-wrestler-cancer/

For me, on the mic there was no-one like him. One of my all time faves.

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 7-31-2015 at 10:11 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just saw this and...I don't even know what to say anymore. 3 of my childhood wrestling heroes, Dusty, Piper, and Hogan all lost as such through various means and ways over the past two months. He looked off during that Rich Eisen interview last week and I knew something was wrong, but if it was cancer, we didn't even know it was back.

Thank you for changing all the questions, Roddy. We'll miss you a ton. RIP

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by S Kid J E T S 48]

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 7-31-2015 at 10:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
CONSPIRACY THEORY!!!! Hogan off'd him to take the media spotlight off of him.

Don't Mess With Texas

CamstunPWG187
The Rowdy One

Posts 2538
Registered 5-2-2010
Location Harbin, China

Mood: Barbecue

posted on 7-31-2015 at 10:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just read the news.....Rest In Peace, Maniac
jaymosley6
Fella

Posts 352
Registered 1-27-2014

Mood: "Cup of coffee

posted on 7-31-2015 at 10:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper Dead at 61

(sigh) Fuck, man...

http://thebiglead.com/2015/07/31/rowdy-roddy-piper-dead-at-age-61/

Not sure what to say on this one. Underrated worker, one of the best talkers and antagonist of all time. Legend.

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 7-31-2015 at 10:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This is a stunner to me, mainly because Piper has been so active lately. Some of it was because of dumb things, but it's like he was off hiding. Man.

Such a huge loss for the industry. One of the greatest talkers. One of the best heels. One of the best pranks ever pulled against him.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9035
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 7-31-2015 at 10:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thread already started.

Steer replies there.

Don't Mess With Texas

Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3501
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 7-31-2015 at 10:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dammit, two legends in quick succession, although for some reason this surprises me less. RIP Hot Rod.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 7-31-2015 at 11:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here's the official WWE statement:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/rowdy-roddy-piper-passes-away-27737907

I feel really bad about this. Roddy was one of the first tweeners in the industry. He was the bad guy who you rooted for, whose heel promos you laughed at, the guy you loved to hate. He always spoke his mind and didn't give a shit who he offended. He was CM Punk before there was a CM Punk.

RIP Hot Rod

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by CCharger]

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8325
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 7-31-2015 at 11:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
He was the bad guy who you rooted for, whose heel promos you laughed at, the guy loved to hate. He always spoke his mind and didn't give a shit who he offended. He was CM Punk before there was a CM Punk.

This. Even as a dumb mark of a kid, I loved the guy. He was the Joker to Hogan's Batman.

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

Big Bank Hank
Fella

Posts 343
Registered 1-19-2013

Mood: I paid my taxes

posted on 7-31-2015 at 11:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S Kid J E T S 48
Just saw this and...I don't even know what to say anymore. 3 of my childhood wrestling heroes, Dusty, Piper, and Hogan all lost as such through various means and ways over the past two months. He looked off during that Rich Eisen interview last week and I knew something was wrong, but if it was cancer, we didn't even know it was back.

Thank you for changing all the questions, Roddy. We'll miss you a ton. RIP

[Edited on 7-31-2015 by S Kid J E T S 48]

This is the reason I stopped chewing bubble gum.

RIP Roddy.

5 bananas, 7 bananas. No no no no no nowdn-wnv bananan

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3096
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 7-31-2015 at 11:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Fuck.

He's one of the best. RIP you crazy man.

Ortonmustdie
Fella

Posts 364
Registered 6-30-2008

Mood: Plotting

posted on 7-31-2015 at 11:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore

This. Even as a dumb mark of a kid, I loved the guy. He was the Joker to Hogan's Batman.

Would it be more fitting to say he was Luthor to Hogans Superman??

Nothing I can say to add to what's been said already, RIP Hot Rod.

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6349
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

Mood: Not so long along

posted on 8-1-2015 at 12:29 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He was my favorite. My heart hurts.

R.I.P. Rowdy.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

G-Spot
"El Diablo"

Posts 751
Registered 8-31-2008
Location J-Town Pa.

Mood:

posted on 8-1-2015 at 12:35 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
When I was 18, I was already a big wrestling fan. I regularly attended the WWF TV tapings at the Hamburg Fieldhouse, where we were able to see everything transpire days before it was broadcast in syndication to the rest of the country. The March of 1984 tapings always stand out, as it was the day the pro wrestling hook was sunk even deeper in me and I became more excited than ever to be a fan.

While I had seen many Piper's Pit segments before, this one was going to be with guest Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, who we all loved. When Piper smashed that coconut over Snuka's head, we lost our minds! Sure, we saw many beatdowns over the years, including Larry Zybsko starting his feud with Bruno by laying Sammartino out with a brutal steel chair beating, but this was somehow more "raw." Maybe because it didn't take place in the ring? Maybe because we weren't expecting more than a verbal beatdown? But that segment brought out the Piper we knew from his battles with Greg Valentine in the NWA, as well as other bloody battles we read about in the Apter mags, and we wanted to see Snuka get revenge on this maniac.

As the Hogan dominance took over, we started rooting for the villain, as Piper was way more interesting and talented than Hulk. We wanted to see the Piper that battled Ric Flair, but we never really got that. But we still saw a character who drew fans to hate him so much, and to us 18-20 year old's, he was our anti-hero, our Punisher, a non-nonsense guy who told it like it is, and didn't take shit from anyone. And compared to the cartoon character for the kids Hulk Hogan, us teen fans needed a more "real" character who almost seemed real "real."

Sure, he eventually turned more cartoonish, but it still had some edge to it, and I stayed a fan. The Piper/Hart 'Mania match cemented the fact he was a gifted wrestler and a true icon, even at that later stage of his career. To me, that match is right up there with Savage/Steamboat.

I've been privileged to meet a few of my wrestling heroes, but Piper was one that always alluded me. It saddens me to know I will never get to shake his hand and tell him that I have enjoyed all the entertainment (wrestling and movies) he has given us.

Rest in peace Mr. Toombs. And our condolences to your family and friends. You will truly be missed.

[Edited on 8-1-2015 by G-Spot]

"G-Spot rocks the g-spot!!!
**Ghandi (Clone High)**

BlueChipper
And I am AWESOME

Posts 144
Registered 4-7-2013

Mood:

posted on 8-1-2015 at 12:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dammit.

Guess God needed another legend for his wrestling promotion in the sky. Thank you Hot Rod for all the memories (whether we basked in your glory or whether you were doing your best to piss us off.) We loved you every step of the way.

RIP Roddy

jayman773
Turd Generation Superstar

Posts 15
Registered 1-16-2002
Location A hellhole called Arizona

Mood:

posted on 8-1-2015 at 02:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sad day.

So many of my early memories of pro wrestling had Piper's involvement in one way or another. He was so good at getting people to hate him that it wasn't long before you had to like him. Amazing that he was able to keep the heel act up for almost 3 years (~84-87) before they were forced to make him a fan favorite.

There were so many memorable Piper's Pit segments (Snuka, Hogan/Andre, etc.), but the one I remember most was this one:

He always had a way of making scripted segments seem "real", but this was obviously something personal to him. It was in the leadup to his match with Adrian Adonis at Wrestlemania in '87, but he doesn't even mention AA. For whatever reason, it just blew me away when I saw it.

RIP Hot Rod.

lz4005
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1702
Registered 11-11-2003

Mood: Oolitic

posted on 8-1-2015 at 03:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I was just thinking earlier this week about how I didn't "get" most of what Piper did in the 80's because I didn't understand the subtleties of his promos and ring work. Looking back at them now I'm blown away.

RIP

anglefan85
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1584
Registered 12-6-2005
Location Long Island, New York

Mood: Relaxed

posted on 8-1-2015 at 03:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Dusty Rhodes dies, Hogan kills his reputation, and now the Hot Rod is gone.

As far as wrestling is concerned, 2015 can eat a dick.

The WWE: Where no one wins, unless you like Cena, in which case you are a sad little fanboy who will never get laid, but we are happy to take your money away-Moosehead Jack

"She is an estrogen molotov cocktail. It'd be in your best interest not to piss her off."- My thoughts on Firewoman

"Kurt Angle is like a living vortex of the surreal. On the off chance he's not doing, saying or thinking crazy things, people connected to him act crazy by association, caught in the gravitational pull of his insanity."- Ringout from FAN Forums

GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2513
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 8-1-2015 at 03:31 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
One of the best mic workers of all time and certainly the best in 80s WWF, while Dusty and Flair were tearing up the NWA. A despicable heel that you somehow loved who became the first straight-talking face who didn't give a crap.

I'll always love his respect match with Bret for the IC title - Roddy thinking about going heel on Bret is such a great moment with such layers of character to it. And even his last few WWE appearances had some real gold moments - he could still talk like nobody's business.

Like Hogan in the 80s, Piper was bigger than even wrestling - he was just a pop culture figure, somebody everybody knew. He'll definitely be missed.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

shashwat mishra
Showstopper

Posts 855
Registered 9-27-2002
Location Bhubaneswar, India

Mood: Saving Money

posted on 8-1-2015 at 03:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This is very very painful.

Wrestling fans worldwide have lost an icon. Rest in Peace Legend! God give you everlasting joy.

Stuck in the 1980s.

OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4431
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 8-1-2015 at 04:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
FWIW, that "Last Piper's Pit" (which was only the last Piper's Pit until 1989) was in Dayton. I wasn't there. I could have been -- this was after I had convinced my mom I was old enough and wrestling was family-friendly enough -- but the first baseball practice of the season was that evening, and I was still under the misapprehension that my love of baseball would somehow ultimately manifest in me being good at playing it.

In retrospect, I should have gone with the wrestling.

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CM Crunk
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1957
Registered 7-20-2011

Mood: PrestonC76

posted on 8-1-2015 at 05:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Still can't believe Hot Rod's gone. He was truly one of a kind. The first heel I ever cheered for, and still the reason why I carry a chip on my shoulder towards Bret Hart. You'll be missed Roddy.

Flash
The Immortal One

Posts 4567
Registered 4-22-2005
Location Ontario, Canada

Mood:

posted on 8-1-2015 at 05:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Maybe because I'm getting older (I'm not that old) and my parents are in their late 50's early 60's someone passing away at the age of 61 just seems so young to me now...

Not sure what to say... I had some memories of Dusty, but my appreciation of him came later in life when I discovered that he wasn't always wearing polka dots, so while sad there's not quite the same connection there... With Hogan I have mixed feelings as yeah he's a shit head for talking like that, but I also think the whole thing is just getting blown out of proportion... or not... that's a whole other thread.

With Roddy though... ouch.

Piper was just too cool for you to hate, and once he was done feuding with Hogan he showed yet another dimension to his ability to entertain us... I remember watching wrestling video tapes on beta at my grand parents... the old Titan home video stuff... and there was this bit there about Piper stealing some kids Halloween candy, but they replaced it with something so that he hurt himself when he bit into it... but I think there was a bit where he had this plan to trick them first by dropping bowling balls into there bags so they'd rip and he could steal their candy... and of course nailing Morton Downey with the fire extinguisher.

Piper was always a treat to watch, but at the same time you just knew that he would still have so much to offer.... You grow up and you learn that be it back stage reasons, or just as likely because he was a bad guy in an era when the top good guy stayed on top for a long time, and that Heenan's family would offer a cavalcade of heels that could be rotated in and out, so Piper would always have a bit of a glass ceiling in the WWE, and not because of a lack of being the total package.

I remember at the end of the 90's and early 2000's when the WWE had a pretty substantial influx of talent from Canada going on that I got curious about who else was from here only to surprisingly find out that Piper hailed from Saskatoon... not that it made a difference but it was just one of those cool little things that made you a little prouder of him (well, at least for this Canuck... I think it's a weird Canadian thing; we're obsessed with those who got out and made it big).

I remember about 10 years ago I was working as a claims adjuster for car accidents and I had to call this customer and he wasn't home so I was getting ready to do my answering machine spiel when the voice message being done by none other than Piper... so I didn't leave a message but instead hung up, and called right back just to confirm I heard it right... the client picked up this time and asked if I just called and said that I could have left a message... I told him why I called right back and we would up swapping Piper memories for about an hour... turns out they had some mutual friend and when Piper was in town he got him to record the message for him.

It wasn't just the squared circle where he entertained me... like others "They Live" has long been on my shortlist of movies that gets dusted off at least once a year... not just because I'm a big John Carpenter fan, but because Rowdy just owned it in so many ways.... Let's also not forget a certain hilariously bad movie featuring the "Dance of the three snakes"... aka Hell comes to Frogtown... I still remember me and a buddy taking over one of the lecture labs while in university and using the digital projectors to make our own movie theatre... We probably had a dozen people in there watching Frogtown, with the odd Professor wandering in wondering what was going on only to stay and watch with everyone.

I feel like I missed out on some of his later work in that I was never really a WCW guy... I only just now started watching it on the Network... tonight while I'm saddened by his passing I feel a bit lucky in that I know how great he was, but there's still so much of his work still available for me to discover as I work my way through WCW stuff.

RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper... no one will ever swing a coconut like you did.

[Edited on 8-1-2015 by Flash]

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6349
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

Mood: Not so long along

posted on 8-1-2015 at 05:49 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This is available on the Network in much better quality, but I thought it interesting enough to share with the class considering the events of the past week. This is from Piper's return to Piper's Pit in 2003 with Vince as his guest. It's fun to see the interplay between the two, but is startling to me, in real life terms regarding the storyline shitcanning of Hogan at that time. Fucking hell this wrasslin' stuff gives me the heebie jeebies sometimes.

Vince McMahon on Pipers Pit Part 1 by rich_300

Vince McMahon on Pipers Pit_chunk_2 by rich_300

And in case anyone's interested...

[Edited on 8-1-2015 by janerd75]

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top