The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bleacher Report in depth look at WWE's creative process
Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 2-24-2015 at 07:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bleacher Report in depth look at WWE's creative process

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2283701-inside-wwe-an-exclusive-look-at-how-a-pro-wrestling-story-comes-to-life?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=refer ral&utm_campaign=editorial

It takes them a lot of words, but basically they admit it's whatever Vince feels like on the night in question.

The story is still a good read, however, since it covers D-Bryan Summerslam 2013 to WM2014

[Edited on 2-24-2015 by Jumbie]

"I'm a team player."

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8325
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 2-24-2015 at 08:12 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Here's an in depth look at WWE's creative process:

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 2-24-2015 at 10:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote

This is the second or third time I have heard the WWE PR machine try to revise history on the Daniel Bryan debacle. My fear is people are actually starting to believe them.

The suggestion that the rise of Daniel Bryan was the elaborate master plan of HHH, Steph and Vince is the most absurd pile of coiled dog shit I have ever heard. Instead, they did everything in their power to cool Bryan off in favor of Big Show, Orton, and Batista until the few weeks leading up to Wrestlemania. It is hilarious that they now feel the need to put themselves over through revisionist history and take credit for Daniel Bryan's grassroots surge. It is literally laugh out loud hilarious.

There a 1 million WWE fans all chanting BULLSHIT after reading this story.

[Edited on 2-25-2015 by CCharger]

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10976
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 2-24-2015 at 11:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Most one year olds could do a better job by writing on their bedroom wall with the contents of their diapers.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

First 9
The Immortal One

Posts 4172
Registered 1-22-2013

Mood: Doing the Emma Dance

posted on 2-25-2015 at 01:32 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Charger to this day they're still trying to make it sound like HHH was just as big as Austin and Rock. Of course, they'll say that Bryan's rise was the plan all along. Just like Orton was always meamnt to be a top heel, nevermind those 6 brutal months when they used every trick to try and get us to cheer for him. Just like HHH going over Punk was all part of a greater plan to help Punk get more over. Just like the Network hitting a million subscribers was the result of those snarky smarks giving them publicity with the #CancelWWENetwork movement and not the fact that conveniently people aren't registered as unsubscribed till the end of the month.
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 2-25-2015 at 02:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, I get it. WWE has made a shit ton of money from revisionist history. It's just a pet peeve of mine. It's just so blantantly obvious that it's bullshit, yet they continue to to try and peddle it to the casual fan.

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10976
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 2-25-2015 at 07:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The casual fans and other assorted idiots who only know anything about wrestling from watching Total Divas on the Kardassian Network can all go choke to death eating a bag of dicks.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7925
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 2-25-2015 at 08:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
The casual fans and other assorted idiots who only know anything about wrestling from watching Total Divas on the Kardassian Network can all go choke to death eating a bag of dicks.

You sound like the guy who sees a girl wearing a Batman shirt, asks what her favorite storyline is, and gets upset when she says she likes the movies and the cartoons.

I get it. I was that guy...but here's the thing...don't be that guy. You'll be WAY happier.

There's a girl who has interested in the Divas because of Total Divas? Cool. Let her enjoy that and encourage her to watch NXT. Maybe she'll enjoy seeing Charlotte and Sasha Banks. And that may lead in to her liking Finn Balor. If not? Is it really that annoying?

And really...the more people who like wrestling...the more incentive there is for people to wrestle, and produce weekly shows. The WWE, ROH, TNA, and Lucha Underground are not non-profit organizations. Let them make some money.

But if you want to be all hardcore smarks...

WE'VE HAD THIS FUCKING DISCUSSION ALL READY!

And for those posting here...some of you have posted on this all ready...

quote:
Originally posted by CCharger
Bollocks.

The article clearly states that Vince placed the bad SummerSlam buys on Bryan rather than Cena or a shitty undercard and torpoeded his push as a result. It also didn't mention Bryan's forced feud with the Wyatts and his subsequent heel turn. Of course, WWE is going to put a "we believed in DB all along" spin on it. The truth is they didn't, and part of me wonders if they still don't.

quote:
Originally posted by Paddlefoot
Too a certain extent WWE's presumptions about Bryan have been proven before with other smallish guys who seemed to be ready to break out of the midcard but, for whatever reason, just didn't. I can think of Christian and Ziggler being two of the most obvious examples. Great in-ring performances, good promo ability (with Christian anyway), and works well with others. The thing that happened with Bryan as opposed to others is that the way the crowds embraced him happened in a different way. Both Christian and Ziggler have received their share of crowd pops but nothing they received comes close in comparison to what Bryan received from the Yes! Movement. The reaction Bryan gets is at least on the same level of intensity as what The Rock or Stone Cold received, and arguably better than what other big upper-card names like Orton, Angle, Edge, Batista, and even Punk received. The audiences pushed the issue to the point where Bryan just can't be ignored or kept out of the big storylines anymore. His reactions are too huge to softly put him back into the mid-card, the way they could with Christian or Benoit after their 15-minutes with the big names were over.

What audiences should do is start marking out like maniacs on a regular basis for other fan favourites that are stuck treading water. Give the Bryan treatment to Cesaro, Ambrose, Ziggler, etc., and WWE will have to respond. Make it so that they can't just be used to be fed to a Seamus or returning Batista again. The guys will be advanced and we get the extra fun of pissing Vince off and visualizing him in gorilla freaking out because 'the goddamn sons of bitches are cheering WRONG again!'.

quote:
Originally posted by First 9
Batista also stated Bryan wasn't supposed to be a part of the Main Event. There's no retconning this.

I have some advise for you folks...

There's newer shit to be pissed about.

CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

posted on 2-25-2015 at 02:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
You know, I was going to get all defensive and snarky.

And then I realized you're right. It's still going to piss me off, but like you said, I've said my piece. Time to move on.

-- The Rick

TomS
Showstopper

Posts 784
Registered 7-7-2006

Mood: Moody

posted on 2-26-2015 at 10:37 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This thread reminded me to cancel my WWE Network sub before the trial ended... So there's that.
mark markham
Showstopper

Posts 990
Registered 6-24-2003

Mood: 20% cooler

posted on 2-26-2015 at 02:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll add 2 cents that might be new. We have NXT. Watch it. Almost every week it's good. Better announcers, longer women's matches, better story lines. (consistently) better in-ring action. They are able to push the guys "we" like and take more risks on gimmicky characters and vanilla midgets that "wouldn't fly" on the main show. The GM is Regal which is cool in itself, but even cooler is that he doesn't come around except when it's necessary. It's only one hour a week. It's short running time makes for a tight show with little filler, and probably best of all McMahon has nothing to do with it. Seriously, I think they are throwing "us" a bone here. Who cares if it isn't the main roster or if it "counts" the whole genre is make believe anyway. If you want good wrestling NXT is about the best thing we've got.
Blade
Showstopper

Posts 798
Registered 12-30-2003
Location Darkest Australia

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2015 at 04:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by First 9
Just like Orton was always meamnt to be a top heel, nevermind those 6 brutal months when they used every trick to try and get us to cheer for him.

Ooh, here too. The crowd DID cheer for him. If by "us" you mean OO, then OO wouldn't cheer for Orton if he cured cancer and gave every orphan in the world an adorable kitten.

More on-topic, of course WWE's plan wasn't for Bryan to main event Wrestlemania, but since I saw 9 months before Wrestlemania that it was obvious Bryan was going to a) beat HHH and b) win the title again, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that that was indeed their plan.

And yeah, NXT's pretty great, although I think it did lose about half a step after the first year (though I'm about six months behind so maybe it's up to that level again? YMMV, anyway).

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 2-26-2015 at 04:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'd watch NXT if it didn't cost $10 a month to watch it. It's good, just not "$10 a month" good.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Blade
Showstopper

Posts 798
Registered 12-30-2003

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2015 at 05:40 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
I'd watch NXT if it didn't cost $10 a month to watch it. It's good, just not "$10 a month" good.

I was watching NXT on free Hulu for like a year, so unless something's changed, you don't have to pay to watch it (you do get to watch like three ad breaks, but meh).

Well, okay, I did pay to watch Hulu, but that's because I'm not in the US (and the seven bucks a month got me access to a variety of nice things other than Hulu).

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12827
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 2-26-2015 at 06:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blade

And yeah, NXT's pretty great, although I think it did lose about half a step after the first year (though I'm about six months behind so maybe it's up to that level again? YMMV, anyway).

It's definitely caught up and probably took another step up above since they've been showcasing Samy Zayn, Finn Balor, Hideo Itami, Kevin Owens, Charlotte, Sasha Banks, and more. And others who have been around like Tyler Breeze and Becky and Bayley have gotten better as well.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12827
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 2-26-2015 at 06:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
DP

[Edited on 2-26-2015 by salmonjunkie]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 2-26-2015 at 09:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blade

Well, okay, I did pay to watch Hulu, but that's because I'm not in the US (and the seven bucks a month got me access to a variety of nice things other than Hulu).

It's $7 here, too. I kinda hope NXT would get a TV deal, but since it's a Network selling point, watching NXT would mean me giving Vince $10 a month and until the main product gets, I dunno, saner, the minors will have to get passed.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3293
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 2-26-2015 at 09:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark markham
I'll add 2 cents that might be new. We have NXT. Watch it. Almost every week it's good. Better announcers, longer women's matches, better story lines. (consistently) better in-ring action. They are able to push the guys "we" like and take more risks on gimmicky characters and vanilla midgets that "wouldn't fly" on the main show. The GM is Regal which is cool in itself, but even cooler is that he doesn't come around except when it's necessary. It's only one hour a week. It's short running time makes for a tight show with little filler, and probably best of all McMahon has nothing to do with it. Seriously, I think they are throwing "us" a bone here. Who cares if it isn't the main roster or if it "counts" the whole genre is make believe anyway. If you want good wrestling NXT is about the best thing we've got.
I =used= to watch NXT. I loved it. It was arguably the best hour of wrestling I could access without using the internet to download/stream/steal things.

Then they took it away from me, and put it on the Network-Lite, for 'LEVENNINEYNINE (11.99$, available on select cable/tv providers, except "Bell TV & anything closely associated with Bell Canada" because they are the main competitors to Rogers Cable, and the duopolizing companies up here are petty like that) a month.

Blame the E for a lost viewer. Even if I =do= watch NXT via the internets, my voice doesn't count because I'm not giving them ratings or money. Why should I get attached to something they've already taken away from me on a whim?

Yes, I realize I probably sound like a broken record about the Network-Lite, but I'm one of the people who was most looking forward to "Internet WWE Network", but instead we were offered "WWE On-Demand Version 2.0: THE TV CHANNEL". It is, however, somewhat pertinent when it comes to this discussion, because I really WOULD like to watch NXT, but they made it too difficult to bother doing so.

[Edited on 2-26-2015 by Count Zero]

Blade
Showstopper

Posts 798
Registered 12-30-2003

Mood:

posted on 2-26-2015 at 10:28 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
It's $7 here, too. I kinda hope NXT would get a TV deal, but since it's a Network selling point, watching NXT would mean me giving Vince $10 a month and until the main product gets, I dunno, saner, the minors will have to get passed.

Sorry, my bad for being unclear. What I mean is that I was paying seven bucks a month for a VPN, which let me watch Hulu and a variety of other US-only internet things (and some Canada-only and British-only internet things).

However, I was only on free Hulu and was still watching NXT long after the Network came out, so unless that's changed in the last three months or so, you don't need to pay Vince anything to watch it.

Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 2-26-2015 at 10:54 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My understanding is that Canada can't get Internet WWE network because of Canadian content rules.

"I'm a team player."

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10976
Registered 1-19-2008
Member Is Online

posted on 2-26-2015 at 11:34 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
There are lots of channels from the US available on Canadian cable that have no Canadian content. WWE will arrive eventually. The problem for Canadian viewers is that 9.99 per month won't exist outside the US. Given the government involvement and the love that Canadian cable providers have for fees and surcharges that 9.99 will most likely be at least 15.99 when they start and then probably up to 19.99 within a couple of years. When it comes to media consumption Canadians get screwed on everything, especially by our own internal bureaucracies, our colluding quasi-monopoly cable/ISP providers, and other assorted domestic pathologies. You're offering me an unbelievable low, low price per month for what I want to watch? Bullshit! I'm Canadian! I demand that I be forced to pay more!

bigfatgoalie
American Dream

Posts 7925
Registered 1-16-2002
Location Stratusphere

Mood: Stratusfied

posted on 2-27-2015 at 12:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
With the loonie being what it is...$11.99 ain't bad. And Bell carries the Network now. But yeah , you shouldn't need cable or a dish to get the damn thing.

That being said, a PPV and 4 episodes of NXT a month should be appealing to any wrestling fan.

niles81
Showstopper

Posts 823
Registered 1-16-2013

Mood:

posted on 2-27-2015 at 06:52 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Given that Netflix hasn't jumped in cost in Canada, I can't see WWE network doing so. Thanks to the magic of VPNs, I have the regular WWE network, so it's not to hard to get in Canada if you have any internet savvy. Plus, after the conversion, I end up paying around $11/month.
DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3284
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 2-27-2015 at 10:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
NXT is, oddly, something I barely watch on WWE Network. Between PPVs, Legends of Wrestling, obscure 80s matches and Countdown, it's 5th in line at best. Good show though. Neville will be a Superstar and the Vaudvillans are the funniest thing imaginable.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3293
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 2-27-2015 at 10:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfatgoalie
With the loonie being what it is...$11.99 ain't bad. And Bell carries the Network now. But yeah , you shouldn't need cable or a dish to get the damn thing.

That being said, a PPV and 4 episodes of NXT a month should be appealing to any wrestling fan.
Well, in the latest promos for "These people now have the WWE Network", I saw cogeco, telus, etc etc, but no "Bell TV". So if it's on there, my apologies and mea maxima culpa for missing that memo. But my point still stands.

I don't wanna pay $12 a month for NXT when I used to get it on Sportsnet360 (for those not familiar with the Canadian programming landscape: yes that's a tv channel, and yes that's a stupid name) for $Free. I'm okay with stealing (aka watching live streams of SkySports on PPV Sundays) & not paying to support NXT. This is the bed they have made, as far as I'm concerned. Your (and everybody's) mileage may vary, as The Rick often says.

quote:
Originally posted by niles81
Given that Netflix hasn't jumped in cost in Canada, I can't see WWE network doing so. Thanks to the magic of VPNs, I have the regular WWE network, so it's not to hard to get in Canada if you have any internet savvy. Plus, after the conversion, I end up paying around $11/month.
As for VPN-subscription... That's something that shouldn't even have to be done, except for the fact that somehow now the Internet has borders (strangely related only to media content.. go figure?). I don't have a netflix account, so I would -literally- be subscribing to a VPN exclusively to watch a service that should be offered in Canada exactly as it is offered in the USA. Oh wait, Media Company Greed strikes, so I'm not interested in supporting a business model like that. I'm voting with my (cheap-ass) wallet.

[Edited on 2-27-2015 by Count Zero]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top