The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why bring back Daniel Bryan?
AscendantSean
rOOkie

Posts 43
Registered 1-19-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-26-2015 at 08:35 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why bring back Daniel Bryan?

The weird thing to me, is that WWE even bothered keeping Daniel Bryan on their books. At this point, his continued employment is working against the show they clearly want to put on, and presumably want the fans to enjoy.

They should have paid Bryan up once he was fit, and said that this was for his own health. Told the fans that he's broken like Edge, and they don't want to risk a tragedy.

Or, if you do want to bring him back, do it after the Rumble. After Reigns is penned in to the main event. Bring back Bryan on the Raw after Fastlane, pop the crowd, and then book him in a WrestleMania Ironman with Ziggler or Jericho or something. Bryan can remind people he never lost the title, but have Reigns promise him the first shot if he beats Lesnar.

And then Bryan fires back that, if Reigns can't do it, he'll get his title back himself.

But seriously, bringing back Daniel a week before the Rumble was fucking stupid. Should have sacked him, if they didn't want him.

OOMike
The Great One

Posts 3951
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Columbus, OH

Mood: same ol same ol

posted on 1-26-2015 at 08:38 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think it had more to do with they thought Reigns was more over than the Philly crowd allowed.

Plus, if they held Bryan out until after the Rumble, it would be known that he was coming back soon, then you just have the same thing at the Rumble that you had last year where the crowd would crap all over the winner and/or #30 for not being Bryan.

2017 where Nazis are defended and being against Fascism is a bad thing.

Prejudices are rarely overcome by argument; not being founded in reason they cannot be destroyed by logic – Tryon Edwards

Never let the facts interfere with a good rant.

The only OO columnist that has never written a column.

TomS
Showstopper

Posts 784
Registered 7-7-2006

Mood: Moody

posted on 1-26-2015 at 08:52 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I think they might have something planned storyline wise in regards to his early exit. It's just the way they kept acknowledging the Daniel Bryan chants rather than ignoring them, and talking about how he didn't do as well as expected.
Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3501
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 1-26-2015 at 09:02 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This has to be the dumbest fucking post I've read in quite some time. Fire an (allegedly) perfectly healthy, super- popular wrestler, just as:

A) an international top promotion is toying with expansion into the USA,
B) the only company to even resemble a competitor since 2001 moves to a new tv station,
C) you have your own mega show in 10 weeks time, which will most definitely consist of more than one match.
D) you already lost one internet darling in early 2014, you can't afford to lose another.
E) he's bringing out an autobiography that will no doubt sell very well.
F) a start up promotion that emphasises his wrestling style is gaining popularity.

Go home, relatively new kid. You're drunk.

cardscott5
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1221
Registered 6-28-2007
Location wherever god takes me

Mood:

posted on 1-26-2015 at 09:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"Daniel Bryan didn't win 1 match. WWE should have fired him."

Did you really think of how stupid this sounded before you posted it?

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6344
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

Mood: Not so long along

posted on 1-26-2015 at 09:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Golly!

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2015 at 01:15 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Jeez...I read the initial post wrong because I thought he was asking why they'd bring him back *now*. Not ever. Wow that's....a really bad question.

quote:
Originally posted by OOMike
Plus, if they held Bryan out until after the Rumble, it would be known that he was coming back soon, then you just have the same thing at the Rumble that you had last year where the crowd would crap all over the winner and/or #30 for not being Bryan.

I don't know, because they had done a good job of spreading the idea that they didn't know if he would ever come back, so I think the only thing that could have happened to make things slightly worse would be the inevitability of Reigns winning it all.

But at least if Bryan doesn't seem to be an option, there's a far longer distance between Reigns and the next guy than Bryan to Reigns, in fans' hearts. You have Bryan out of the picture, at least until after Rumble, and maybe fans talk themselves into the Reigns thing being okay.

The second you brought Bryan back? Nothing else but getting Bryan back on top mattered to anyone. WWE should have seen this if they were bringing him back. Unless they have a long redemption story that needed the element of getting dumped early in the Rumble attached to it (I severely doubt that), it was incredibly short-sighted to bring him back just to give a very small distraction of him possibly winning it through only half of the Rumble.

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1097
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 1-27-2015 at 01:22 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Hey, they brought Nikki back to keep Cena happy. They probably brought Bryan back to keep Brie happy.

Watch so-and-so on whatever night on some channel.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
CCharger
The Man

Posts 5047
Registered 7-21-2010

Mood: Sick of hokey shit

posted on 1-27-2015 at 01:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This is the stupidest thing I have ever read on this board (not including janerd's gifs), and that is saying a lot considering how many stupid thing I, myself, say on this board.

"I don't watch the show, Paul. Why would I watch the show?"

"I hate it when I'm watching along at home and I'm envisioning certain common sense things, and WWE just leaves all that money on the table to do something that will have no result other than send viewers looking for something else."

-- The Rick

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1097
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 1-27-2015 at 01:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I honestly wish he had just retired.

Go out (essentially) on top and don't risk long-term health.

In a weird way, I'm glad things went the way they did at the Rumble. Now I know there's no reason to emotionally invest in him any more. He's in the same category as someone like Dolph Ziggler: Someone I enjoy watching but who I shouldn't expect to be around the main title picture.

[Edited on 1-27-2015 by PB-13]

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
AscendantSean
rOOkie

Posts 43
Registered 1-19-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-27-2015 at 06:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Oh hey! Some responses to my post!

quote:
Originally posted by Gobshite
This has to be the dumbest fucking post I've read in quite some time.

Oh.

I've clearly gone wrong, and I apologise for that. My point was not intended to be "they should have fired Daniel Bryan" and I don't think that WWE should have done so.

My issue is that, generally, I don't understand why you bring back your biggest star if you don't want him to be your biggest star.

Specifically, I don't understand why you bring him back immediately before the Royal Rumble, and have him enter, if you don't want him to be involved in the title scene between now and WrestleMania. The crowd reaction made the end of the most signature match of the year look awful. Again.

Apologies once more for my earlier post.

Gobshite, if you see this, can I use your quote as my sig? It will keep me humble.

Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10974
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 1-27-2015 at 07:47 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I accept the premise of your original question, no matter how off the rails this thread went. In hindsight everything is 100% clear. In order not to tank the Rumble, and set off the shitstorm among the fans, the better thing to do would have been to not put Bryan back inside the ring until after the Rumble. Reigns' win would still be unpopular, because the order of entrance/order of elimination during the actual match was booked so poorly, but it probably wouldn't have been met with such scorching hatred if Bryan had been kept out of it altogether. Bryan could still get some kind of set-up for WM, not necessarily marquee but still enough to be satisfying and/or significant, but Reigns' wouldn't have been so badly undercut by the way things have played out over the last two days.

[Edited on 1/27/2015 by Paddlefoot]

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top