The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PPV DISCUSSION: Royal Rumble 2015
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4428
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 1-25-2015 at 02:59 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
PPV DISCUSSION: Royal Rumble 2015

On Sunday night, this will be the place for real time results/discussion and post-show critiques... but for now, feel free to make predictions and prognostications.

Here's the as-announced line-up:

30 Man Royal Rumble (WWE is currently listing 17 confirmed entrants: Roman Reigns, Big Show, Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose, Bray Wyatt, Rusev, Wade Barrett, Dolph Ziggler, Ryback, Kane, Miz, Sandow, Goldust, Stardust, Luke Harper, R-Truth, and Fandango... at various points, the Usos and Los Matadores have been included on WWE's official list, but are no longer there... and lastly, Randy Orton will be a "surprise" entrant)
Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena vs. Seth Rollins (WWE Title)
The Usos vs. Miz/Damien Sandow (Tag Title)
Natalya/Paige vs. the Bellas Twins
The New Age Outlaws vs. the Ascension
The New Day vs. Cesaro/Kidd/Rose (Preshow)

I'm figuring Lesnar retains, just because WWE has refused to pony up for any more Lesnar matches than the bare minimum, which means he won't get his Contractually Obligated Rematch at the February PPV, before setting up a marquee WrestleMania Match... and holding back Lesnar's rematch for WM itself makes no sense, as a heel chasing a title is NOT the WWE M.O. at Mania... furthermore, Lesnar isn't sticking around after Mania, and I just don't see him going out on a two match losing streak to the same guy (losing the title at the Rumble, and losing the rematch at Mania)...

If Lesnar's still the champ at WM, there really are only three choices to win the Rumble Match... Reigns (the WWE-think/shove-it-down-our-throats choice), Ambrose (the gutsy/make-a-new-star-with-a-signature-moment choice who fans really like), or Bryan (the middle ground choice, who is more proven in "WWE think" but is still wildly popular and accepted by fans). I'm gonna go with Bryan, because if he really is healthy, the only way to top the Ultimate Underdog story from last year (two matches in one night) is to have him stuck facing The Beast, which would basically put us back where we were a year ago.

Plus, ever since Bryan's title win, I've been REALLY excited for a Bryan/Lesnar match. It should be awesome, and it was supposed to be the SummerSlam main event, and now, it could be on the table, again.

The only real alternative I can see would be Rollins walking out of the Rumble with the belt (likely via MitB shenanigans), and somehow Lesnar gets distracted by some other, more personal issue, and forgoes the contractual rematch for a different match at Mania... in which case, Orton wins the Rumble, and the WWE Title Match is relegated to 3rd-string (behind Sting/HHH and Lesnar/???), but in which WWE feels more comfortable, because Orton is far more proven than Reigns/Bryan/Ambrose... (yes, I know, a right-thinking person doesn't put Orton ahead of Bryan by any metric, but since when is WWE "right-thinking"?)

Usos retain when cracks start to show between Miz/Sandow (and the full-on break-up happens later, in the Rumble)...

Bellas win, because this match is somehow tied to That Which OO Does Not Acknowledge As Valid Entertainment, so either the "frenemies" will fail to get along or Tyson Kidd will do something douchey or whatever passes for "reality" TV drama...

The New Age Outlaws will be straight up murdered, unless all those stories about Crazy NXT-Hating Vince are true...

The New Day will win, because, honestly, a team with Adam Rose on it is essentially in a handicap match...

That is all. Your turn, kids...

Rick

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8325
Registered 7-15-2005

Mood: Lickable

posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:44 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Apparently, The Rock is in Philly this weekend. Coincidence? Or are we getting Rock vs. Brock at Mania?

Is everyone mad here?
Of course they are, and you are too... otherwise, you wouldn't have come here.

desjr001
Showstopper

Posts 639
Registered 9-18-2004
Location Tampa Rasslin City USA

Mood: kiss my assable

posted on 1-25-2015 at 06:07 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkerhardcore
Apparently, The Rock is in Philly this weekend. Coincidence? Or are we getting Rock vs. Brock at Mania?

Makes sense, Fast 7 comes out in April.

There is no exception,
that everyone thinks they are the exception.

Dominator
Dominated by my love for Randy Orton

Posts 1686
Registered 7-5-2007
Location Florida

Mood: RKOFree Since 4/9/13

posted on 1-25-2015 at 06:09 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

At WM29, Rock suffered a torn hip muscle, torn abdomen, and a hernia at the hands of John Cena. At WM30, Undertaker suffered a severe concussion at the hands of Brock Lesnar. If Rock faces Brock at WM31, Lesnar might kill him. Or at least render him to such a state where the only thing Dwayne could smell would be his colon.

[Edited on 1-25-2015 by Dominator]

I do NOT love RKO, you sarcastic bastards.
"There are no politics in WWE." - Stephanie McMahon
"BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAA!!!" - Me

janerd75
The Man

Posts 6344
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

Mood: Not so long along

posted on 1-25-2015 at 06:38 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:

You shut your whore mouth! You shut your whore mouth right no...actually, that would be kinda badass. So if Lesnar peels off to do B'Rock, Cena's gonna Captain America Rusev, then Rollins goes onto Bryan or Reigns or Orton (sorry, Dom, I failed you) at WM? I really wouldn't mind any of those (eh, maybe not Rollins/Reigns yet), but truly Lesnar/Bryan is my dream match. Though bricks will be shatted should "IF YA SMELLLLLLL" pipes up anytime during the Rumble. Mayhap the set-up for Taker/Rock vs. Brock/??? to send the Deadman out on a high note rather than in an actual hearse? Yes, yes, I know, speculative horsefloppy and dreamwishery what don't translate into real world success.

As for the matches, I'm only curious to see if The Ascension is on the descension, Miz/Mizdow DRAMA!, Bryan/Ziggler/Ambrose (in that order) winning the Rumble, Reigns/Show continuing their beef unto WM, and Rollins grabbing the belt because the ghosts of Goldberg/Lesnar past should weigh heavy on what remains of Vince's conscience. John Cena can scream YABBADOO!!! while pooning Nikki in gorilla or traverse the Amazon in search of The Cure for His children for all I care. That dawg, hopefully, shall not be in the hunt, Monsignor.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-25-2015 at 02:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desjr001

Makes sense, Fast 7 comes out in April.

That movie doesn't need cross promotion: it's the last Paul Walker movie and also the debut of holograph Paul Walker.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

DevilSoprano
Pee Wee's Plaything

Posts 8022
Registered 11-16-2002

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2015 at 03:55 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Remember to come compete in the annual Royal Rumble game over at PUNSHOUSE.

natecorbitt.proboards.com/page/chat

[Edited on 1-25-2015 by DevilSoprano]

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   DevilSoprano 's Aim   DevilSoprano 's Yahoo
desjr001
Showstopper

Posts 639
Registered 9-18-2004
Location Tampa Rasslin City USA

Mood: kiss my assable

posted on 1-25-2015 at 04:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nOOb
That movie doesn't need cross promotion: it's the last Paul Walker movie and also the debut of holograph Paul Walker.

All the more reason that Vince would want to hitch his wagon to it, not the other way around.

There is no exception,
that everyone thinks they are the exception.

olfuzzybastard
Waaaallllllllllllt!!!!!

Posts 708
Registered 1-3-2002
Location Pittsburgh, PA

Mood: Suave

posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:00 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm going to the Rumble tonight (and Chikara at the ECW Arena in about an hour) and my brain is about to explode from excitement. That is all.
S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:45 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll be there tonight for my 3rd Rumble. The card far less deep than the last two at MSG, but the Rumble match itself probably has more twists and turns and guys who can win it than usual.

Only two matches matter...and I guess if we're doing predictions, road to WM belong just as much.

Bryan wins the Rumble.

Brock retains the title via Orton RKO of Rollins.

Fastlane:
Cena/Orton/Sheamus vs. Rollins/Show/Kane (Sheamus turns on Cena).

Reigns vs. Brock for the title (Rusev attacks Reigns).

WM:

Preshow: Two match of these three...Usos vs. Miz/dow vs. Ascension vs. Masters; Paige vs. Nikki Bella; Barrett drops IC Title to returning Rey Mysterio.
Ziggler vs. Kane (Kane gives Dolph the JBL retirement goodbye match). Or Ziggler/Harper again...I dunno).
Orton vs. Rollins
Ambrose vs. Ryback (haven't figured out how yet)
Cena vs. Sheamus
Taker vs. Wyatt
Sting vs. HHH
Reigns (with Hogan) vs. Rusev (with Big Show); Reigns gets first singles title (in this imaginary world where we come up with something less for Reigns instead of what he should be getting at Mania).
Brock vs. Bryan - Bryan wins, XXX redux...except in the middle of a pool of confetti and pyro, Rollins cashes in and wins it to end show. MITB pop outdoes sheer hate of heel being Bryan. Summerslam redux - Bryan becomes Cena (losing the belt to MITB winners to solidify them, not the Superman part).

No rush needed on using the MITB before Mania or before the next MITB...gives them time to build towards Reigns vs. Rollins (or Brock vs. Reigns if Brock's still around) for the title at what looks like an outdoors Summerslam that will need a huge match (now that IZOD is closing ).

[This was just fun fantasy booking - I still think Reigns-Brock is what we're getting, and won't be mad about it...but as an alternative...who knows.]

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3284
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The cheapest ticket to the Rumble on stubhub is currently $320 and almost nothing considered good is under $500. Looks like I'll be watching the Rumble for $9.99 instead of taking the 15 minute ride to the arena.

On a side note, is Adrien Neville in the Rumble? Having him enter at 2 and last till the final 5 would be a great debut for him.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2015 at 05:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DKBroiler
The cheapest ticket to the Rumble on stubhub is currently $320 and almost nothing considered good is under $500. Looks like I'll be watching the Rumble for $9.99 instead of taking the 15 minute ride to the arena.

I got mine from stubhub a week after it went on sale for far less. I checked, and prices, at minimum, doubled the day after Daniel Bryan announced he was entering. Hopefully that's a decent sign to the WWE that someone makes a difference in the box office, even if this time it wasn't directly affecting them.

DKBroiler
SpeciASSl CUMedian

Posts 3284
Registered 1-25-2008
Location One Inch Right of Philly on a Map

Mood: Old

posted on 1-25-2015 at 06:09 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yeah, exactly. Lesnar + Bryan on the same card was asking for the tickets to be ridiculous. I missed the first chance so I was hoping that on event day maybe they'd come down. So far they just keep going up. Personally I just can't stomach paying more than $100 for a WWE ticket when I'm already getting it for free.

On a side note good thing the Rumble isn't tomorrow. Word on the block is that snow-zilla is on it's way by Monday at noon. Could make Raw interesting if it's in the northeast.

Reigning, Defending, Undisputed, Half of an Award One Time Winner

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7763
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2015 at 07:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'll say that I'm pretty intrigued with this year's Rumble match. Even though Roman Reigns seems like the obvious pick to win (and he probably will), Daniel Bryan being involved leaves at least a small shadow of doubt for that happening. Also, will be interesting to see the Philly crowd's reaction to Reigns winning and/or Bryan getting tossed out. I could potentially see a Batista 2014 situation on our hands depending on how things go tonight.

And just for the hell of it, my predictions:

Brock Lesnar vs John Cena vs Seth Rollins: I have high hopes for this match and hope it gets at least 20 minutes. I'm going to pick Brock to retain, but honestly Cena or Rollins walking out with the belt wouldn't completely shock me at this point.

The Royal Rumble: I'll stick with the safe pick and say that Roman Reigns wins, since the WWE generally doesn't pull surprise swerves when it comes to the Royal Rumble match. Bonus final four prediction: I think Reigns, Bryan, Rusev, and Bray Wyatt are going to be the last four guys in the match.

The Usos vs Miz/Mizdow: The Usos retain (probably setting up a WrestleMania match against the Ascension) and as I think someone mentioned, I predict we see the first cracks in the foundation of Miz/Mizdow tonight.

The New Age Outlaws vs The Ascension: Pretty easy pick for the Ascension here. Bonus fun fact: the New Age Outlaws will now have wrestled at the 2014 and 2015 Royal Rumbles...who woulda thunk?

Paige/Natayla vs The Bellas: Kind of weird they're doing a Divas tag match here and not a title match, but hey, whatever. And has Brie's heel turn and realigning herself with Nikki ever been explained? As for the match, I don't really care...the heels win I guess.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2015 at 07:58 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just for kicks - what is everyone's pick for Daniel Bryan's Wrestlemania opponent if he *doesn't* win the Rumble and Brock is still champion?

It's pretty limiting, I guess...though in my first run-through mock, I figured a Sheamus program was likely coming out of the Rumble. Him vs. Rollins would be a lot of fun. Maybe a heel Ziggler?

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7763
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2015 at 08:08 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S Kid J E T S 48
Just for kicks - what is everyone's pick for Daniel Bryan's Wrestlemania opponent if he *doesn't* win the Rumble and Brock is still champion?

It's pretty limiting, I guess...though in my first run-through mock, I figured a Sheamus program was likely coming out of the Rumble. Him vs. Rollins would be a lot of fun. Maybe a heel Ziggler?

That's a really good question and one I haven't even considered. Feuding with a heel Sheamus and avenging his 18-second loss from 2012 could be a good story (and those two have always had kickass matches together). Otherwise, nobody on the current roster really jumps out at me as a logical WrestleMania feud for Bryan if he isn't in the WWE title match this year.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

S Kid J E T S 48
The Immortal One

Posts 4117
Registered 10-12-2007
Location New York

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2015 at 08:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the goon

That's a really good question and one I haven't even considered. Feuding with a heel Sheamus and avenging his 18-second loss from 2012 could be a good story (and those two have always had kickass matches together). Otherwise, nobody on the current roster really jumps out at me as a logical WrestleMania feud for Bryan if he isn't in the WWE title match this year.

Yeah, I mean...the reaaaaaaaaally obvious choice for a *special* match would be Shawn Michaels...if this was XXXII in Texas...so...the cupboard is really bare for really satisfying DB options. Maybe he gets to beat Rusev?

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8325
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 1-25-2015 at 08:24 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Please not HBK. Just, no. He's like, the one guy who retired, and actually stayed that way. I'm as big a fan of him as anybody, but I don't think he needs another match.

I guess Rusev would be the best choice, if Bryan isn't in the main event. Rollins vs. Bryan would be a great fucking match (and push the whole Bryan vs. Authority storyline), but Rollins vs. Orton at Mania makes much more sense at this point.

Is everyone mad here?

Ecosystem
The Rowdy One

Posts 2979
Registered 5-18-2004

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2015 at 09:21 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Bryan v. Lesnar doesn't have to be a title match. Rollins could certainly walk in to WM with the championship. But yeah, if Bryan loses and Lesnar walks in to WM, Bryan/Rollins makes sense.

AscendantSean
rOOkie

Posts 43
Registered 1-19-2013

Mood:

posted on 1-25-2015 at 09:25 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Sky Bet in the UK have been in habit of pricing up WWE events for a while. In case anyone is interested, here's a few odds on offer for the Rumble match:
Roman Reigns 5/6
Daniel Bryan 6/5
Randy Orton, the Rock 7/2
Brock Lesnar (!) 7/1
John Cena 8/1
Ziggler 10/1
Seth Rollins 14/1
Dean Ambrose 16/1
Kurt Angle (!!) 20/1
Sting 22/1
Chris Jericho, the Undertaker, Bubba Ray Dudley 25/1
HHH, Kane, Sami Zayn, Ryback 33/1
Adrian Neville, Mark Henry, RVD, Steve Austin 50/1
Batista 66/1
Shane McMahon 80/1
Goldberg, the Bunny, Heath Slater 100/1
Vince McMahon, Shawn Michaels, DDP 150/1

They also offer Brock Lesnar at 2/5 to retain, Cena at 7/2 and Rollins at 4/1

The Usos are 1/5 to retain, Miz & Mizdow are 10/3

Again, these are actual odds you can put actual money on. For pro wrestling. Hopefully no one will tell Vince.

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-25-2015 at 09:29 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Justin Gabriel supposedly just quit WWE, so if anyone had bets on him winning the Rumble...best to move them!

EDIT: above was covered in Rumor Crap thread, so

[Edited on 1-25-2015 by williamssl]

Don't Mess With Texas

punkerhardcore
American Dream

Posts 8325
Registered 7-15-2005

posted on 1-25-2015 at 09:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ecosystem
Bryan v. Lesnar doesn't have to be a title match. Rollins could certainly walk in to WM with the championship. But yeah, if Bryan loses and Lesnar walks in to WM, Bryan/Rollins makes sense.

I don't see Rollins entering Mania as the champ, MITB or not. Lesnar is just too much of a monster, and after beating the streak last year, I think they have to let him make it to another Mania undefeated.

I still think Orton's return tonight would be best used as fucking Rollins over in the title match. It fits the storyline perfectly, and would be a great way for him to make an impact in his return, rather than just as another guy in the Rumble.

You know what I would love to see? Rollins cashes in after the match, the bell rings to make it official, then Orton runs in and interferes... Rollins loses the match (or wins by DQ), and his MITB shot is used up and gone. Someone getting screwed out of the briefcase that way is a story I've been wanting for a while.

Is everyone mad here?

williamssl
Steers and Queers

Posts 9034
Registered 1-11-2004
Location La La Land

Mood: Fuck USC

posted on 1-25-2015 at 10:13 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
We know Orton is interfering with Rollins...and the above makes a lot of sense - costs Rollins the title AND his briefcase. Let's him direct 100% of himself to Orton then building to their match at Mania - no "fuck you Orton and I also have this briefcase so...." shit. Just let it go 100% Orton/Rollins, now with both of them having all the reason in the world to want to destroy the other.

Don't Mess With Texas

Jumbie
Showstopper

Posts 802
Registered 9-22-2010

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 1-25-2015 at 10:48 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So are we completely discounting the possibility that they have Brock lose so he can give Taker his Redemption match?

"I'm a team player."

coxito
IMPUDENT WRETCH!

Posts -145
Registered 9-17-2012

Mood: National

posted on 1-25-2015 at 10:56 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumbie
So are we completely discounting the possibility that they have Brock lose so he can give Taker his Redemption match?

I feel like Taker's retirement match will in Dallas for 32. I'm guessing if he does have a match this year it will be a softball to ensure he can make it to 32. I have no clue who is retirement match will be against but i wouldn't mind to see Kane and Taker go out together. It's simple as they don't even have to write a story for it. Dual retirement match for 2 solid future HOFers who have been linked together since Kane debuted. Everyone would know going in the match would be shit from a work rate standard but everyone would still respect the moment.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top