The Online Onslaught Forums

By contributing to Online Onslaught, you'll help make sure we're around for years to come. Toss us as little as a few bucks, or as much as your generosity allows. Thanks!

Last active: Never Not logged in [Login ]

Printable Version |
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (January 12, 2015)
OORick
Monkey on a Rock

Posts 4431
Registered 12-27-2001
Location - The Birthplace of Aviation

Mood: See You in Hell ;)

posted on 1-12-2015 at 11:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
OOfficial Discussion Thread for: RAW (January 12, 2015)

Tonight on RAW: Brock Lesnar will grace us with an appearance, so that should keep John Cena occupied with WWE Title business, instead of the lame-ass Authority melodrama we endured last week... also, it'll be interesting to see precisely what the dynamic is between Lesnar/Heyman and Seth Rollins, who was added to the PPV title match... mostly, I just hope to hell that Lesnar is put to good use (as he was two appearances ago, as opposed to the utterly worthless waste of an appearance that they used two weeks ago)....

I would also assume that we will get the wheels in motion for Ziggler/Ryback/Rowan being unfired, since nobody higher up the evolutionary scale than a houseplant really believes they're gone for good (or even gone for 2 weeks; they'll be back for the Rumble)... it's really not a question of "if," it's merely a question of "how," and to me, that's a surefire sign of shitty storytelling...

Daniel Bryan will be on hand tonight, and with his first in-ring action scheduled for this week's Smackdown (returning to Thursdays), one presumes that he'll be involved in some angle that sets up said match... an interaction with the Authority (who bullied him into forfeiting the WWE Title) is an obvious first step, and I think Bryan vs. Kane would be a perfect comeback match, given that WWE decided to retcon things so that Kane was responsible for Bryan's injuries...

Most other top guys seem destined to enter the Rumble match, although lingering issues like Reigns vs. Show or Ambrose vs. Wyatt may continue to be fodder for singles or tag matches leading up to the 30-man match...

Feuds that will lead to actual undercard matches for the Rumble PPV will definitely include a tag title match (even though they did that 3-way on Friday, I figure the drama with Naomi means Miz/Sandow are still the #1 option; but I certainly would not complain one bit if they decided to run Cesaro/Kidd out there) and a women's title match (I'm guessing Nattie is the #1 Contender at this point; if you do Cesaro/Kid in the tag title match, that would even set up a nice little Husband vs. Wife Who Wins Gold First subtext; then again, was that a face turn by Paige last week? or just random horseshit from That Which OO Does Not Acknowledge As Valid Entertainment crossing over and screwing with our continuity?)... Rusev vs. Ryback for the US Title and Barrett vs. Ziggler for the IC Title would both be strong matches that would stand on their own, but at some point, you have to make sure the Rumble match has enough credible potential winners, so there's no way you can run both of those as stand-alone matches (and maybe not even one of them)... and no, I'm not even going to dignify WWE's shitty excuse for drama by pretending like Ryback and Ziggler will miss the show...

But somehow, WWE will need to produce a fourth non-Rumble match... the Rumble goes an hour, and the Triple Threat should be a lengthy affair (inserting Rollins not only increases the average cardio per man such that 30 minutes isn't out of the question, but it opens the door for a secondary/post-match angle involving MitB that could extend the overall length of the segment)... so three other matches ought to do it.... four if you throw the Ascension out there for a quickie (they're going for the monster push, so you probably keep them out of the Rumble, so they aren't getting eliminated ignominiously less than a month in)...

Oh, and tickets for the Hall of Fame ceremony go on sale this week, so tonight will be the revelation of the first inductee... it's widely expected that Randy Savage will be announced as the headliner of this year's class, with Hulk Hogan providing the induction speech for him...

That is all. End communication.

The flOOr is yours, OO Nation. Don't wait till after 11pm to post, either. Pre-show previewing and prognosticating is certainly welcome. So discuss, debate, and rate!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-13-2015 at 01:13 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That is such an LOLWWE move that they'd have Cena threaten to win the title and then sit at home with it when the title has already been missing more often than not over the past six months.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

Sam Is Neat
Fella

Posts 452
Registered 2-21-2013

Mood: Moody

posted on 1-13-2015 at 01:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Cena threatening to win the title, and then stay at home is such a dumb threat considering...you know...the current champion does exactly that.

Next thing you know, John Cena will stage an #OccupyRAW movement.

Il Palazzo
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1460
Registered 2-25-2006
Location Cheddar Bay, NC

Mood: Stepladder

posted on 1-13-2015 at 01:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It's clearly a sign that Punk is coming back so he can teach Cena a thing or two about taking ones ball and going home. YA HEARD IT HERE FIRST.
gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-13-2015 at 01:20 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Is Neat
Cena threatening to win the title, and then stay at home is such a dumb threat considering...you know...the current champion does exactly that.

Next thing you know, John Cena will stage an #OccupyRAW movement.

Excellent work, sir. Great minds and all that.

"Hulk Hogan have the sex with some dumb bitch on the TV. The girl smart if she make the $$ from his bald ass but she also desperate to have sex with the howdy doody like Hulk Hogan. He worse than Mel Gibson and I think now %10000 he prove he have grasshopper dick and raisin balls." - The Iron Sheik

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-13-2015 at 01:46 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Literally nothing that's been built up for this show so far is enticing. I can catch the Ambrose sketches on Youtube, contract signings always end the same, and I could give a shit about Naomi doing anything. And, turns out, guaranteeing one of the four guys that is constantly a cornerstone of the show won't be wrestling is not a good strategy. It feels like WWE saved their phone-in show for the night they'd be competing with the first college football playoff championship.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

gobbledygooker
Sister Act 2

Posts 9489
Registered 12-17-2002
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-13-2015 at 01:54 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Every time I watch New Day I have flashbacks to 1994 WWE. This is not the era they should be looking to recreate. Hopefully this is a swerve on all of us.

Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3293
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 1-13-2015 at 02:21 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Did Roman add the Rude Awakening (minus the pelvic gyrations) to his moveset tonight? That's the first time I remember seeing him do a neckbreaker.

[Edited on 1-13-2015 by Count Zero]

vonLampertheim
Fella

Posts 416
Registered 4-8-2013
Location Melbourne, Australia

Mood:

posted on 1-13-2015 at 02:23 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gobbledygooker
Every time I watch New Day I have flashbacks to 1994 WWE. This is not the era they should be looking to recreate. Hopefully this is a swerve on all of us.

A New Day heel turn into a "new NOD"/Black Panthers clique would fit the bill.

G. Jonah Jameson
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1704
Registered 12-28-2010

Mood:

posted on 1-13-2015 at 02:45 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
After seeing that Roman Reigns promo, I'm starting to think that rumor about Vince McMahon scripting his mic spots word for word is the unvarnished truth. It was awkward as hell, but the thing is, it would have worked like gangbusters for someone else. Throw in a few random-word-generator insults and you'd have one of the Rock's late-1990s anti-Big Show promos. If Vince wants to write promos for Reigns, he needs to write promos that don't sound profoundly idiotic coming from Reigns.
Count Zero
The Great One

Posts 3293
Registered 1-29-2013
Location Canada East

Mood: DieNoMight

posted on 1-13-2015 at 02:56 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vonLampertheim

A New Day heel turn into a "new NOD"/Black Panthers clique would fit the bill.
I was hoping for that from the start, because all they did was take "three faces" and make them "three faces who coordinate outfits and shout NEW DAY a lot".

Also: Dean Ambrose shouting "THURSDAY!", before even being shown an image to associate, was possibly the funniest thing I've seen in weeks.

Also 2: Wow. Steph kills a segment faster than anybody I can think of, but I'm probably forgetting somebody obviously-bad.

[Edited on 1-13-2015 by Count Zero]

Sam Is Neat
Fella

Posts 452
Registered 2-21-2013

Mood: Moody

posted on 1-13-2015 at 03:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Big Show promo had some nice premises to it...but fell way short of what it could have been. Referencing his own history was great, but turning it into a quasi-Mr. McMahaon promo from the late 90's was awful.

But what was worse was Roman Reigns coming down and making Show's promo look like a Mick Foley classic.

I am enjoying the Macho Man stuff, however.

the goon
Sister Act

Posts 7763
Registered 3-13-2004
Location Charlotte, NC

Mood:

posted on 1-13-2015 at 04:30 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So Brock Lesnar gets an Attitude Adjustment through a table and then a curbstomp and there's not even a tease of Rollins cashing in his MITB shot? That seemed a tad silly to me.

Nash is only a few inches bigger than JBL and depending on how stiff he gets Punk should be able to take it. -JB King, meant in a totally non-sexual way

Gobshite
The Great One

Posts 3501
Registered 1-30-2004
Location Right here, in Birmingham, England!!

Mood:

posted on 1-13-2015 at 10:14 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Why would he cash in after just a few moves? Surely the smarter thing to do will be to wait until the rumble, then after lesnar and Cena have beaten the crap out of each other, attack them both with a chair causing the DQ, THEN do the cash in.

If Reigns is winning the title at Mania, I'd rather see him beat Rollins for it than Lesnar. Knowing Lesnar is 99% leaving, Im now at the point I just wish he'd hurry up and go.

PB-13
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1097
Registered 7-27-2002
Location Belleville, IL(near St. Louis)

Mood: No Mood.

posted on 1-13-2015 at 02:05 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That seems to be the sentiment I've read: Even if Rollins had cashed in and won last night, he would still have to face both guys in the triple threat at the Rumble without the fallback plan of the briefcase on his side.

So, Savage HOF thing was the only noteworthy thing on the show...got it. Once again, made the right decision to go to bed early last night.

-PB

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   PB-13 's Aim   PB-13 's Yahoo
GodEatGod
The Rowdy One

Posts 2513
Registered 1-14-2004
Location Monroe, LA

Mood: Weird

posted on 1-13-2015 at 02:30 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
The Daniel Bryan segment was pretty much perfect. Strong promo from Bryan, bitchy retort from Steph, and finally Kane coming down to break Bryan's neck again, only to get his ass thoroughly kicked until he's running away and the refs have to hold Daniel back. DB looked strong as hell, just laying in shots.

I still feel like people are kind of looking for reasons to hate Roman. His segments get incredibly nitpicked - the promo had good points and bad points. He at least seems more comfortable talking, even if only a bit, and the only way for him to get better is to let him do it. He's got obvious charisma in some pre-taped stuff (and his Macho Man impression ruled).

Seth Rollins standing tall seemed to be a big deal - he's the one that seems to be getting the rocket push. Well deserved, too, as he's made gold of everything he's gotten.

"It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don't like something, it is empirically not good. I don't like Chinese food, but I don't write articles trying to prove it doesn't exist." - Tina Fey

Frank Lloyd Wright
Man of a Thousand Holds

Posts 1805
Registered 10-2-2007
Location Fallingwater

Mood: Megalomaniac

posted on 1-13-2015 at 03:03 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GodEatGod
I still feel like people are kind of looking for reasons to hate Roman. His segments get incredibly nitpicked - the promo had good points and bad points. He at least seems more comfortable talking, even if only a bit, and the only way for him to get better is to let him do it. He's got obvious charisma in some pre-taped stuff (and his Macho Man impression ruled).

The words coming out of his mouth just don't fit his personality. You can tell Vince has his hand up Roman's ass, feeding him every eye rolling word. He is trying to use some of Rock's inflections, but it just isn't clicking. The WWE will make us hate this guy.

Dean Ambrose is genius. Regardless of what you bullshit storyline you put him in, he will find a way to make it work.

The Daniel Bryan segment was great all around. He is looking strong going into the Rumble.

What else can be said about Seth Rollins? His interactions with Cena and Lesnar were picture perfect! Him standing tall to end the show was brilliant and legitimizes his chances of actually winning the belt. Again, he is clearly the company's number one heel.

I have two ambitions in life: one is to drink every pub dry, the other is to sleep with every woman on earth -- Oliver Reed

American architect, interior designer, writer, educator, and wrestling fan.

nOOb
The Man

Posts 7462
Registered 5-24-2004

Mood: Hot Dog!

posted on 1-13-2015 at 03:36 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just on Roman, it's clear he's going to be the focus of the next three months. He's going to win the Rumble, and it's going to be over a few other guys that have been both more solid hands and more constantly clicking with the crowds (Ambrose, Wyatt, kinda Bryan though not reliable with the injury, and cases can be made for others). When a guy gets thrown in like that, there shouldn't be room to nitpick. But Reigns has room to nitpick: his character doesn't fit, he's lacking on the mic, he apparently now has six moves, but it's still only six...it's nothing against Reigns as much as it is on WWE. Reigns just isn't ready yet. Philly is going to shit all over the Rumblr the closer it comes to him winning, and this time I don't think anyone is there to fill the Bryan role, so Cena could be the default second option.

I really hope WWE does something unexpected with the Rumble because more shows like the last few, combined with the Network having zero obligation, might just do it for me with wrestling.

"The Seahawks are cool. Me and Tubby here hung out with them once at a Bruno Mars concert."-Jay and Silent Bob representing the Broncos on FOX NFL Sunday.

denverpunk
The Great One

Posts 3096
Registered 6-27-2007
Location Mile-Hi

Mood: Stoked

posted on 1-13-2015 at 04:04 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
A big part of why Reigns gets nitpicked is the spot that he's in. I agree he has huge potential, but his current skills are at Ryback levels, not face of the company levels. Right now he's being presented as the next coming of the Rock, but he's nowhere near that point in reality yet. If his push were more organic, then people would be shitting on him much less, or even saying "2016 will be the year of Roman Reigns". I really don't think anyone here wants him to fail, but we have eyes and we can see that he's not ready yet.
Anthony
Fella

Posts 497
Registered 7-10-2009

Mood: Knee-y

posted on 1-13-2015 at 06:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm just spitballing here, but I'm wondering if the better idea for Reigns was to have him just go the 'silent badass' route. I mean, the Hardy Boyz rarely ever spoke at the peak of their popularity and they were huge. And while Reigns isn't the Hardy Boyz, it's pretty clear that there isn't any "second coming of The Rock" in him if he doesn't have the same type of charisma that Rock had. Part of Rock's popularity was in his catchphrases and his ability to trash-talk anyone. Reigns' promos come off as monotone, silly nonsense at this point. I feel like having him go out there and just be a quiet monster face that destroys everything could work better for him while he works on his mic skills.

[Edited on 1-13-2015 by Anthony]

[TheGuest] That's great, they kick Khali all over his torso and head and what does he sell? His knee.
[Dougie 2.0] Khalis kneebone is connected to his headbone
[Tommy D] Same way Welker hurt his knee.
[Sportsguy] Welker was jumped by the Nexus?
[Tommy D] yes they were so quick you couldn't even see them
[BC] you can't see me?

Planet Starbucks
And I am AWESOME

Posts 117
Registered 1-28-2013
Location England

Mood: Medicated

posted on 1-13-2015 at 07:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
I'm just spitballing here, but I'm wondering if the better idea for Reigns was to have him just go the 'silent badass' route.

I agree completely. I might be misremembering, but didn't Goldberg go all the way to beating Hogan for the title and becoming the second most popular wrestler on the planet before he even said a word? If he did, it couldn't have been very many. I think a similar approach with Reigns would work better than what we are getting at the moment.

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12840
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-13-2015 at 07:17 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
He said two words -

WHO'S NEXT?

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
Paddlefoot
Rocco Rock of Jabroni

Posts 10983
Registered 1-19-2008

Mood: child molesting robot

posted on 1-13-2015 at 07:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Good reminder that tons of Goldberg's mystique was built up by just having him show up, kick ass, and leave without saying a word. When he finally did do a promo it was kind of shocking at how unsteady and nervous he was at doing it. Not completely inept, but more like Bret Hart in that he just couldn't get the syntax or flow down correctly and smoothly as the way ones like Rock, Austin, Hogan, HHH, or HBK could. I doubt that Orton would receive as much mockery as he does these days if someone had smartened up about ten years ago and restricted him to filmed backstage interviews that can be reshot or edited instead of putting his weakness on full display with an in-ring promo that the guy can't help but mangle. Some guys are never going to be good at promos and some are going to be bad enough at them that it ends up hurting them whenever they have to speak. Forty or so years into this fucking business you'd think that Vince of all people should understand this.

Well you know, just because these young men have little education and live in squalor, it doesn't entitle them to commit antisocial behaviour and get away with it.

it's a child molesting robot

salmonjunkie
Best There Is Was or Ever Will Be

Posts 12840
Registered 6-25-2002
Location Sunny Seattle, WA

Mood: FICKLE!

posted on 1-13-2015 at 08:44 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I seem to remember that when Goldberg started doing promos, he said "ass" a lot.

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member   salmonjunkie 's Aim   salmonjunkie 's Yahoo
janerd75
The Man

Posts 6349
Registered 1-28-2013
Location A Real Shithole

Mood: Not so long along

posted on 1-13-2015 at 09:16 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anthony
I'm just spitballing here, but I'm wondering if the better idea for Reigns was to have him just go the 'silent badass' route. I mean, the Hardy Boyz rarely ever spoke at the peak of their popularity and they were huge. And while Reigns isn't the Hardy Boyz, it's pretty clear that there isn't any "second coming of The Rock" in him if he doesn't have the same type of charisma that Rock had. Part of Rock's popularity was in his catchphrases and his ability to trash-talk anyone. Reigns' promos come off as monotone, silly nonsense at this point. I feel like having him go out there and just be a quiet monster face that destroys everything could work better for him while he works on his mic skills.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I always hoped to see Roman as the silent badass coming out of that Shield lineup. I reflexively associate him with Ambrose and Rollins even though they're long broken up, but of that trio, Dean and Seth are light years ahead of him on the mic and, frankly, ability. But he doesn't need a whole host of moves for a big man, as Austin, Rock, or HHH didn't. But what they did have is a gigantic presence...fueled by wordmakery. He ain't got that yet and it's painfully obvious the E is trying to 'manufacture the inspirado' with Reigns in that regard.

I think it would be the most beneficial thing to his character, and career even, if they did some kind of mini-reset and let him be a silent badass destroyer for a while in the mold of Goldberg as others here have said. Either that or he needs a valet or a mouthpiece to interact with because while it's not exactly the same as the Batista fiasco, fans (like me) will quickly get exhausted by the cringe-inducing promos and inorganic push he's getting. Speaking of mouthpieces, I can think of one interesting option for Reigns should Brock decide to head back to UFC.

"...if you ever want to cash some checks in North America you’re going to have to swallow your pride and do some dumb shit from time to time. You just gotta make it the best dumb shit you can." The DooK of New Jersey

Catch-As-Catch-Can: The Non-Specific Wrestling Thread

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top